• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 navar66

navar66

discovering Carpe

• 19 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 04 June 2019 - 08:26 am

Apologise Team Admin if this is in the wrong Topic Area.

Just after some advice, currently running a 10 plate TDM900a (ABS). Which has started to show an intermittent ABS Fault light, additionally it’s showing a false speed reading of 10-13mph when first started. 

From cold / first thing before set off to work, I check all levels which are good, then start the bike and let it run on tick over. After a few seconds the ABS Fault light flashes a few times then goes out, this is repeated a few times, however occasionally the fault light stays on. At the same time as this is going on there is a false speed reading on the dash.

I know this is really bad but I have found that if I switch off then restart the fault light goes out but the false speed reading remains, which is until I've ridden for a few seconds at which point everything goes back to normal. (No fault light and the correct speed reading). Brakes appear to work but have not as yet had a reason to test the ABS system in anger.

Any advice on what could possible going wrong would be greatly appreciated 

#2 TKH

TKH

full o shoite

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,199 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 04 June 2019 - 09:02 am

Dirty sensor?

#3 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 04 June 2019 - 09:15 am

Have you checked the onboard diagnostics to see if there's a fault code showing ?

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#4 navar66

navar66

discovering Carpe

• 19 posts

Posted 04 June 2019 - 09:46 am

sorry team not sure how to check the on board diagnostics, amature I know, appologies to all 

If it is a dirty sensor then yipee just need to clean it I guess

#5 TKH

TKH

full o shoite

• 2,199 posts

Posted 04 June 2019 - 11:11 am

This is a good source of info.  https://www.tdm-yama...ex.php?page=CS1

If you look under overview it shows how to access diag mode and also the codes.

#6 TDM4ever

TDM4ever

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 04 June 2019 - 04:46 pm

sorry team not sure how to check the on board diagnostics, amature I know, appologies to all 

If it is a dirty sensor then yipee just need to clean it I guess

Probably not a dirty sensor, since it is magnetic. But, it does sound like a faulty ABS sensor, or sensor wiring. Also, check that it isn't loose.

Edited by TDM4ever, 04 June 2019 - 04:47 pm.

#7 navar66

navar66

discovering Carpe

• 19 posts

Posted 06 June 2019 - 01:58 pm

Ok so checked the diagnostics stuff and the following faults are showing

d01 - 16  / d02 - 100 / d05 - 58 / d06 - 72 / d08 - 0.6 / d09 - 11.4 / d61 - 30 / d62 - 1

With all these faults I am now in a state of panic and fear that the old girl is beyong help, anyone know what the fault codes refer to?

#8 Rallyist

Rallyist

Gettin to be an 'Old Bugger'

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 3,250 posts
  • Location:Usually in a Hospital somewhere in the Birmingham area

Posted 06 June 2019 - 03:52 pm

Ok so checked the diagnostics stuff and the following faults are showing

d01 - 16  / d02 - 100 / d05 - 58 / d06 - 72 / d08 - 0.6 / d09 - 11.4 / d61 - 30 / d62 - 1

With all these faults I am now in a state of panic and fear that the old girl is beyong help, anyone know what the fault codes refer to?

Those are OK that are the figures you are seeing in the DIAG MODE all appears OK look here for more info how to check https://www.tdm-yama....org/?page=MDG

Your initial problem in my opinion is a faulty ABS sensor as you model uses the information from the ABS circuitry to give your speed if I remember correctly JBX may see your posts and advise.

Edited by Rallyist, 06 June 2019 - 03:55 pm.

For a challenging summer try the

Round Britain Rally.....  

1993 TDM 850 Mk1 ..... 2008 TDM 900 ....  1975, 1979, 1982, 1992 Goldwings, Scott, AJS,  Triumph 5TA

#9 TKH

TKH

full o shoite

• 2,199 posts

Posted 06 June 2019 - 04:37 pm

The list of diag codes tie up to the link rallyist and I sent. My interpretation is:

From the list

your throttle was closed at the time

air pressure 100%

air intake temp 58 degrees

engine coolant temp 72 degrees

lean sensor 0.6 (on side stand?)

battery charge is 11.4 volts - looks a bit low?

you have error code 30

1 error

Try looking in the manuals for errors you can find them on JBX's site. There's a lot of info in them on ABS and speedo testing/diagnosing.

I assume you checked everything is connected and clean.

Have you had the  rear wheel off?

#10 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 07 June 2019 - 12:12 am

have ya physically traced the abs wiring and inspected it fer damage?

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#11 LAURENCEAUX

LAURENCEAUX

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 189 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 10 August 2019 - 12:14 pm

Not sure is this is relevant to your possible sensor problem, but it does say in the 900A owners manual, in the brakes section, that the use of magnets or magnetic screwdrivers is not recommended. Have you wafted a magnetic tip around there and screwed the abs sensor magnets?

P.S. Anyone have any comments on the £288 I've just been charged to fit to my '09 900A, new HEL braided hoses, pads and DOT4 (all supplied to them by myself as I was originally going to do the job myself)? 

#12 chrisr

chrisr

has been here 4ever

• 1,745 posts

Posted 10 August 2019 - 12:45 pm

Yes, you should have done the job yourself..........

The Blue One : 2004 model owned 2010-2018 much loved, much missed and now living with a man in Scotland
The Black One : 2010 Model Registered 2013 owned 2018 - present.Beowulf Cans. Renthal 755s Grip Puppies,15w fork oil,DL650 handguards,givi engine bars,led spotlights,gipro gear indicator,shortened dogbones,LeeHenty CSM kit and stainless bits,Topsellerie seat,MRA Xcreen,grip puppies.PC III (dynoed). K&N airfilter,Fenda extenda.

#13 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 10 August 2019 - 04:32 pm

That's bloody highway robbery, i would seriously want a good explanation for that cost, fook me..

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#14 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 10 August 2019 - 05:58 pm

Not sure is this is relevant to your possible sensor problem, but it does say in the 900A owners manual, in the brakes section, that the use of magnets or magnetic screwdrivers is not recommended. Have you wafted a magnetic tip around there and screwed the abs sensor magnets?

P.S. Anyone have any comments on the £288 I've just been charged to fit to my '09 900A, new HEL braided hoses, pads and DOT4 (all supplied to them by myself as I was originally going to do the job myself)? 

Bit late now but a decent mechanic will give you a quote/price for the work before you agree to getting it done.  Looks like they've charged you for 4.5-5.5hrs labour, shouldn't take that long imho.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#15 LAURENCEAUX

LAURENCEAUX

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 189 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 01:57 am

I showed them the Hose kit (they looked in the box), I mentioned at least 3 times it was the 900A (ABS) and the head honcho quoted £90 and done in a day.

Great I thought and in she went (Thur 8am)

Fri they called me to say "they" had started on the bike.

Sat @3 I was called; they "did not realise so much was involved and as they had spent much time stripping stuff off the bike" (fairings and tank and other fiddly bits), the bill was now £288.

I said I was not happy, so they offered to reduce that to £250 (where we remain) and I could pick the bike up early Monday.

I think they took on a job they had no experience of and are making me pay for the excessive time taken by some unskilled dickwad trainee.

I'm not a person who fights my corner very well, but I've been sorely tested by this incident. I should have done the job myself!

#16 TDM4ever

TDM4ever

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 07:17 am

So, if they didn't know what they went into, they probably haven't bled the ABS system the correct way either... And may have screwed up the ABS if they have used a pressurized air speed bleeder...

Ask them how they bled the ABS system when you pick it up  :unsure2:

Edited by TDM4ever, 11 August 2019 - 07:18 am.

#17 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 11 August 2019 - 09:12 am

I showed them the Hose kit (they looked in the box), I mentioned at least 3 times it was the 900A (ABS) and the head honcho quoted £90 and done in a day.

Great I thought and in she went (Thur 8am)

Fri they called me to say "they" had started on the bike.

Sat @3 I was called; they "did not realise so much was involved and as they had spent much time stripping stuff off the bike" (fairings and tank and other fiddly bits), the bill was now £288.

I said I was not happy, so they offered to reduce that to £250 (where we remain) and I could pick the bike up early Monday.

I think they took on a job they had no experience of and are making me pay for the excessive time taken by some unskilled dickwad trainee.

I'm not a person who fights my corner very well, but I've been sorely tested by this incident. I should have done the job myself!

Hit the nail on the head i would think, i think you should try and negotiate, you know yourself how long it takes to remove plastics, and do they actually need to with abs, 2 front side to raise the tank if needed, which bloody swivels up anyway and no need to disconnect pipe work ??  Bet ya they had problems bleeding it and have made a cock and bull story up....best of luck, i hope you can get that bill reduced.

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#18 chrisr

chrisr

has been here 4ever

• 1,745 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 12:39 pm

Just a bit of advice.....check all the fairing bolts etc have been put back, and that nothing’s been broken. And NEVER take your bike to a dealer again! I say this as someone who was royally ripped off by a Yamaha “main dealer” when I first got my TDM.

The Blue One : 2004 model owned 2010-2018 much loved, much missed and now living with a man in Scotland
The Black One : 2010 Model Registered 2013 owned 2018 - present.Beowulf Cans. Renthal 755s Grip Puppies,15w fork oil,DL650 handguards,givi engine bars,led spotlights,gipro gear indicator,shortened dogbones,LeeHenty CSM kit and stainless bits,Topsellerie seat,MRA Xcreen,grip puppies.PC III (dynoed). K&N airfilter,Fenda extenda.

#19 TKH

TKH

full o shoite

• 2,199 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 02:13 pm

Just a bit of advice.....check all the fairing bolts etc have been put back, and that nothing’s been broken. And NEVER take your bike to a dealer again! I say this as someone who was royally ripped off by a Yamaha “main dealer” when I first got my TDM.

+1 never use a Yamaha dealer. I got ripped of the first time i took my 9'er in for a service - Chorley Yamaha. Do it all myself now.

Would also agree to check ALL the plastics. If they broke one they'll be trying to get away with not paying for it. Check everything.

#20 LAURENCEAUX

LAURENCEAUX

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 189 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 02:53 pm

How will I ever know the ABS has not been compromised?

Can I test for this without slinging it down the road first?

Thanks for all of your responses so far.

If this turns bad I will name and shame the garage/MOT station.

TTFN

P.S. Just done 1300+ miles around Scotland, in all weathers and the brakes were good, without issue or leaks so I guess there are tested and bedded in now.

Edited by LAURENCEAUX, 26 August 2019 - 10:40 pm.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users