115 replies to this topic

#61 sherlock

sherlock

arrived on last train

• 8 posts
  • TDM model: 2005

Posted 20 August 2010 - 01:17 pm

Hi Graeme et al,

Please put me down for Monday thru Wednesday. Will be there Monday pm on the way back from the MotoGP but will need to head home Thursday

#62 Guest_graeme_*

Guest_graeme_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 August 2010 - 10:12 am

QUOTE(sherlock @ Fri 20th Aug 2010, 11:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi Graeme et al,

Please put me down for Monday thru Wednesday. Will be there Monday pm on the way back from the MotoGP but will need to head home Thursday

Hi Sherlock, thanks for that, have put you in the Little Black Book. There now 4 Qlanders.
cheers Graeme

#63 Trotski

Trotski

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 21 August 2010 - 02:55 pm

QUOTE(graeme @ Sat 21st Aug 2010, 08:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
There now 4 Qlanders.

Someone should buy some Bananas

Edited by Trotski, 22 August 2010 - 02:41 am.

Trotski

All ways remember, A Pessimist Is Never Disappointed

'98 CT200P AutoAg , '93 Purple Kawasaki ZZR 250, 2004 Black Kawasaki ZZR 250 2005 Black Kawasaki ZZR 250
1999 Baltic Blue TDM 850 2010 Black TDM900

#64 AzzA

AzzA

Knows more than an horses arse!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,548 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 22 August 2010 - 12:50 am

QUOTE(Trotski @ Sun 22nd Aug 2010, 12:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Some should buy some Bananas

They could bring their own but the cockroaches would likely eat them on the journey south, then there'd be none left for the Queenslanders... or us Mexicans. jester2.gif

gallery_10460_302_12664.png

#65 davi5678

davi5678

sticking around

• 23 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 24 August 2010 - 08:38 am

Hmmm, Thinks I will put in a request for leave, hopefully for the whole week, pencil me in! yahoo.gif My favourite riding around there. Could be a good week!

#66 Guest_graeme_*

Guest_graeme_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 August 2010 - 10:14 am

QUOTE(davi5678 @ Tue 24th Aug 2010, 06:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hmmm, Thinks I will put in a request for leave, hopefully for the whole week, pencil me in! yahoo.gif My favourite riding around there. Could be a good week!

Hi Davi, great to hear from you, will be a great week. You are duly penciled in.
cheers Graeme

#67 MotoBloke

MotoBloke

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 191 posts
  • TDM model: 1998

Posted 31 August 2010 - 08:07 am

Hi again Graeme,
now more sure of the best days for me: Monday arrival, leave early Thursday morning, back to Sydney.
It'll be a RIPPER! drinks.gif

MotoBloke
www.ShineMyBike.com
Sinny, Ostraya
98 TDM850L 4TX series aka Mk2a 146000km
Tiger screen; Laser ProStock exhaust; large old Givi topbox; ProTaper ATV 'bars; BarkBusters with Storm guards; CoyoteMoto crash knobs; Aldi GoCruise GPS; Michelin Pilot Road 3 tyres.
Previous loves:
Suzuki DL650 V-Strom K6; Honda XL600VH Transalp X 2; Suzuki GS500; Yam XTZ750 Super Tenere; Yam FJ1200U; MotoGuzzi V65 Lario; Kawa KLR600; Honda XL350 RF.

post-1-1150559830.gif

#68 Guest_graeme_*

Guest_graeme_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 August 2010 - 11:32 am

QUOTE(MotoBloke @ Tue 31st Aug 2010, 06:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi again Graeme,
now more sure of the best days for me: Monday arrival, leave early Thursday morning, back to Sydney.
It'll be a RIPPER! drinks.gif

Hi MB, thanks for the update, will be a ripper and you could come part of the way on Thursday and then head off up the Barry Way?? Just a thought. good.gif
cheers Graeme

#69 Trotski

Trotski

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 03:45 am

Hey Graeme, how's the roads up there holding out with all the rain, I only got half what your area did and my road looks like an old creek bed at the moment
Trotski

'98 CT200P AutoAg , '93 Purple Kawasaki ZZR 250, 2004 Black Kawasaki ZZR 250 2005 Black Kawasaki ZZR 250

#70 Guest_graeme_*

Guest_graeme_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 September 2010 - 10:22 am

QUOTE(Trotski @ Mon 6th Sep 2010, 01:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey Graeme, how's the roads up there holding out with all the rain, I only got half what your area did and my road looks like an old creek bed at the moment

Hi Trotski, depends where you are. At Cassilis we had about 25mm, Ensay only about one millimeter. But as you know it was very different on top of or north of the divide. Hopefully it will have settled down by October but who knows.
Cheers Graeme

#71 Trotski

Trotski

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 10:42 am

i heard that Mt Buffalo had 250mm, Thredbo had over 100mm and they had some cars washed in to the river, I had 65mm in my rain Gauge
Trotski

#72 Guest_graeme_*

Guest_graeme_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 September 2010 - 11:43 am

QUOTE(Trotski @ Mon 6th Sep 2010, 08:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i heard that Mt Buffalo had 250mm, Thredbo had over 100mm and they had some cars washed in to the river, I had 65mm in my rain Gauge

Yeah, really big falls along the range. Hotham landslide wiped out the ticket booth (ski entry) on the Harrietveille side. Huge flows in all the rivers. We should be able to see the signs of all this pretty clearly in Oct. All we need is an East Coast low to do the same on this side.
Graeme

#73 Guest_graeme_*

Guest_graeme_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 September 2010 - 11:07 am

A bit of an update on the accommodation setup.
The flat at the alpine camp is going to be kept spare for either, one of our troupe who mentioned the possibility of bringing his wife, or for the camp to have available as normal.
The Queensland group, Ken, Rob and Alwyn are a family/friend group who have travelled much together and know they have a serious problem with snoring. They agree that it would be sensible to isolate them somewhat and so they will be in the house. ANY OTHER CHRONIC SNORERS should also consider joining them in the "isolation ward". The rest of us will have the 2 dorms and there is a smaller room at the end which anyone needing more privacy can use.
The place is huge and we are going to be around 20 in number so space is no issue.
If you are one of these snorers then maybe put your hand up so we have an idea about numbers.
cheers Graeme

Edited by graeme, 09 September 2010 - 11:14 am.

#74 Toraneko

Toraneko

Carpe Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 364 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 18 September 2010 - 12:22 am

Well here it is September & Tax return has finally been done. I was hoping the ATO would generously fund my TDUT trip but even though my tax agent is as sharp as a razor the amount I'll get back won't make up for the trip plus lost income. sad.gif The problem is that I still have only casual employment ( no paid leave ) & because I have to allow time over to VIC & back on the boat & a day each way from Melbourne to Omeo it means 9 days in lost wages which is about $1500. Add the cost of the trip itself ~$2000 & it makes it
financially impossible for me. I'd hoped to be in fulltime employment well before this but despite having qualifications coming out of my arse & many years experience it just hasn't happened. mad.gif

So sorry Graeme & all you other TDM'ers you'll have to cross me off the list for this years event. As you can imagine I'm pretty down & very pissed-off right now ranting.gif
Was hugely looking forward to meeting you all face to face & riding those ace roads. I will look forward to seeing photos, etc of the event though.
Someone else can have the executive suite which was reserved for Pam & I.
Guess there's next year........ sorry.gif

Edited by TDMtoraneko, 18 September 2010 - 12:25 am.

cheers, Shane from Tassie

Airbox Mod ( JBX ), Krauser K-wing mount & Top Box, TDM Shield a.k.a TigerScreen Mk 2, HyperPro progressive rate fork springs, BeoWulf - Warrior exhausts,
Stebel Compact Nautilus Air-Horn with Eastern Beaver relay kit, Eastern Beaver PC-8 switched fusebox, Powerlet BMW style power socket
plus controller & heated gloves for the missus. Oxford v7 Heated Grips, V-Strom 650 HandGuards, Fenda extenda.

#75 Guest_graeme_*

Guest_graeme_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 September 2010 - 10:48 am

So sorry Graeme & all you other TDM'ers you'll have to cross me off the list for this years event. As you can imagine I'm pretty down & very pissed-off right now ranting.gif

Hi Shane, really sorry to hear this. I 'm sure we all understand the situation you find yourself in but not having the person, who suggested the rally in the first place, attend is a real shame. The show must go on and all that and we will make sure there's lots of pics etc for you to get jealous over. All the best, as you say there is always next year. Good luck in finding something permanent.
cheers Graeme

#76 Guest_graeme_*

Guest_graeme_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 September 2010 - 12:22 pm

Hi all, well its less than a month and looking good. The weather is warming up and the only damage from the recent floods was on the other side of the ranges and by the time we go through all will be well. Dirt roads on this side are dusty at the moment.
A few details about the setup for rides and meals etc.
MEALS. There are two hotels in Omeo, the Hilltop and the Golden Age. The Hilltop is a couple of hundred metres from the alpine camp while the Age is at the other end of town, a couple of kms. Of course you can eat where you like, and with whoever, but its likely that we will largely eat together. The Age are keen to have us eat there and they do have a different and probably better menu. Its a great venue.
They have offered to drive us back to the camp. Have said that we will eat there on wed night and also friday. Friday is also the night of the "TDM logies" and they have reserved a slightly separate alcove of the lounge for us. We will be made welcome. The other nights meals will be at the Hilltop but you might want to try a pizza or something else, there is a pizza / pasta retaurant.
STARTING THE DAY Each days ride starts at 9.30 am. Those who want to get up at 5am and go for a jog, have fun. The rest will stay in bed until a sensible hour. Some may want to have breaky at the camp but for myself i intend to go to the bakery at 8.30. The bakery is adjacent to the service station (opposite Golden Age) and it is here that the rides will depart at 9.30. This photo from balcony of Golden Age today.
Attached File  bakery.jpg   98.41KB   10 downloads

There is another petrol station and other food outlets if you wish to use them.
RIDE RULES. Must start with a full tank of fuel. Carry lunch etc as indicated on the ride list, this is why the bakery is a good start point as fuel and lunch are all here.
We will ride with a lead rider and a tail rider, we dont want to lose anyone and a lot of this country is very rugged so we really need to keep track of all riders! We might use a corner man on the first days "local" rides as there are a lot of corners but the rest dont have many and its where we will regroup anyway. Ride at at your own pace, the tail rider will go as slow as needed.
Unless you are overtaking or having a friendly "scratch race" keep a bit of distance between bikes for safety reasons.
We will be stopping at "view" points and i, at least, intend to take a lot of photos. And , at times, video while riding, while passing and being passed by all participants. So get used to it and dont be one of these buggers thats always trying to avoid being in the lens. rolleyes.gif We should end up with a great record of the event and all will get a copy. Any others who want to video or photograph, make it known.
Ride quietly in the towns and locals will appreciate it (and the cops) The Omeo cop leaves this week and so we may have "reliefs" for a while, they can be fairly harsh. Highway patrol do run through the GAR reguarly but not over much.
So, thats all for now, counting down!
cheers Graeme

Edited by graeme, 20 September 2010 - 12:29 pm.

#77 Trotski

Trotski

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 03:01 am

Does the Bakery do Coffee? you don't want to be around me if there's no Coffee
Trotski

#78 Guest_graeme_*

Guest_graeme_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 September 2010 - 12:08 pm

QUOTE(Trotski @ Tue 21st Sep 2010, 01:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Does the Bakery do Coffee? you don't want to be around me if there's no Coffee

Why give a short answer when a long one will be more fun. After 120 years of talking about it, the Alpine Way (road between Omeo and Harrietville, over Hotham) was finally fully sealed when the last 10kms between Dinner Plain and Hotham was done in 1998. They then renamed the whole thing between Wangaratta and Bairnsdale as the Great Alpine Road in a fine display of complete disregard for history. Suddenly the whole thing had traffic on it and the single take away in Omeo and the dismal quality of the coffee at it and the hotels became a major issue. The takeaways now number 4 and they have actually held workshops on how to make coffee. So along with some new proprietors who have brought with them some modern standards the food and coffee are now right up there with what you can get in suburban wherever, which isnt a bad thing.
So, Trotski, rest easy, your need will be fulfilled.
cheers Graeme

#79 Trotski

Trotski

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 01:15 pm

Cool, Urge to destroy decreasing
Trotski

#80 masterbrewer

masterbrewer

has been here 4ever

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,553 posts
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 22 September 2010 - 12:12 am

good.gif

The clouds have been forming to enable a South Aussie to increase the Thunder.

Monday 18th: Depart Adelaide at sparrow fart for eastern Victoria via Edenhope and the Queenscliff-Sorrento ferry route, staying overnight somewhere.

Tuesday 19th: Join everyone for lunch at the Albion Hotel, Swifts Creek and thereafter.

Wednesday - Friday 22nd: Make group thunder in them thar hills.

Saturday 23rd: After lunch at either Bright or Myrtlesford as per your ride itinerary, depart for the two day trip home.

Will be good to catch up with everyone drinks.gif

Cheers
Kym

Edited by masterbrewer, 22 September 2010 - 10:45 am.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users