15 replies to this topic

#1 celticbiker

celticbiker

has been here 4ever

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,726 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 11 March 2017 - 11:59 pm

I have been riding bikes now for 42 years and over that time I have learned a thing or two on the subject, the main one being, when you are having problems, seek expert advice.
Since getting the Fazer I've been having a lot of trouble riding it, to the point in fact that I was wondering if I had made a mistake in buying it.
Don't get me wrong, I'm riding it faster than I ever rode the TDM but it's hard work and heavy on the upper arms and shoulders. I'm concentrating so hard on keeping the bike on track that it's mentally exhausting too, I can barely manage 300 miles in a day.
I was starting to get frustrated with myself, I'm riding it the same as I've ridden all my other bikes for the last 25 years TDM's, XT's, XJ's so why the problem with this one?
My technique is the tried and tested (and widely taught) anchored push.

Excerpt from the popular Full control book.

Anchored push

To countersteer you must push precisely on the handlebar. In order for the steering command to move the
handlebar accurately, and not push your body backwards, you need ‘anchoring’. Just try it; stand with
your side towards a wall with your feet close together. Raise your arm and give the wall a firm push. To prevent
yourself falling you must step out with the foot furthest from the wall to support you. You must ‘anchor’ yourself.
On the bike, the natural anchoring point is the outside footpeg, the peg facing outward from the centre of the
bend. 
An ‘anchored push’ means that you anchor yourself on the outer footpeg (consciously feel the peg under your
foot), contract your leg muscles just like a small kick-off, and transfer this force to the opposite handlebar end.
The term ‘anchored push’ signifies that you both anchor and push at the same time in order to achieve precision
in your steering command.
In a normal corner, the anchored push is experienced more as a ‘feeling’ than an exertion of raw power. But at
higher speeds, not to mention emergency swerving, you really need muscle in order to achieve the necessary
effect of the steering command. That is why the technique of an anchored push is so important. To aid that push
consider at the same time pulling on the opposite handlebar whilst still remaining ‘anchored’ to the machine.

Having used this technique for years I couldn't understand why I was having so much trouble.
After literally minutes of ceaseless searching I found the following videos and having used the information from them they have transformed the way I ride and how the bike behaves.
The most informative is the Troy Corsa one, He says the same as the others but actually explains the reasons for it and it was that video that explained why I was having so much trouble.
Basically a 30 year old technique has been fine and worked well for my bikes of choice because they were derived from 30 year old ideas and understanding of suspension and geometry but around 2006 there was a change in understanding of these things and bikes since then have been based on race bike derived technology, this also requires a change in riding technique to get the best out of the bike.

And for the more technically minded of us

Edited by celticbiker, 12 March 2017 - 12:08 am.

(\__/) This is bunny. Copy and paste

(x'.'x) bunny onto your page to help

(")-(") him gain world domination!

#2 dmmsta

dmmsta

supporter of the "Anti-Dazzle" Club

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 3,627 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 12 March 2017 - 11:24 am

Interesting read, but the links try to download something rather than click through to YT.

MY06 TDM 900 Blue over Silver 354906_45.png
-----
Fuel Pipes
Givi Top Box
Renthal 758's
Grip Puppies
MRA Bubble
Dip & Hi HIDs

To-Do:
LED DRLs
Loobman
Powercoat Wheels
Hand Guards

-----
MY04 TDM 900 Blue over Silver Parts Bin
MY02 TDM 900 Yellow over Black RIP
post-1-1150550733.gif...post-1-1150559830.gif...copilot_zpsgezqc0xz.jpg...hids.jpg...

#3 muddy

muddy

full o shoite

• 2,973 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 12 March 2017 - 11:55 am

Use the copy URL facility in YT or copy each address from the URL bar. If the address is correct each one should embed. Or just trim the end of the URLs losing the &feature=youtu.be

Edited by muddy, 12 March 2017 - 01:41 pm.

Blue 04 TDM,PR2 rear Roadsmart front, Yamaha topox, Givi E360 panniers, PL pannier holders, BMW handguards, Yamaha touring screen, Scottoiler, 12v ciggie socket, carbon core HT leads

Gorn :sorry:

#4 trevini

trevini

has been here 4ever

• 1,776 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 12 March 2017 - 03:14 pm

Can't do anything with the links. 

2004 Galaxy Blue. Owned since 486 miles.Renthal 755 bars, Bagster tank cover, Oxford heated grips, DL650 hand guards, Double Bubble screen, Scorpion Rad guard, Gel pad insert, HLD undertray, Angry Badger tailtidy,  Michelin Road 5s, Givi E21s, E46 topbox, Ohlins shock and YSS cartridge emulators   Currently not fitted - PC3, Remus Revolutions.

LCErj.jpg

Putting up with the "niner" jokes since 2005
Check out http://www.hotcoldground.co.uk we're really rather good!
Like food? I feed people -  SmokinGrillGuy <p>

#5 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,211 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 12 March 2017 - 03:47 pm

https://www.youtube.com/v/hlfN9Z6IlI0

https://www.youtube.com/v/ysQThqrpI1c

https://www.youtube.com/v/HeMSfgb5tks

https://www.youtube.com/v/Ikjw4IheeF4

https://www.youtube.com/v/JutNhZw1TB0

https://www.youtube.com/v/F9yQylk1heI

:)

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#6 trevini

trevini

has been here 4ever

• 1,776 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 05:11 pm

Studders you superstar. Ta muchly. Mwwwwahhhh.

I guess I should have tried them first - still no worky pour Moi. Trying to download something.

2004 Galaxy Blue. Owned since 486 miles.Renthal 755 bars, Bagster tank cover, Oxford heated grips, DL650 hand guards, Double Bubble screen, Scorpion Rad guard, Gel pad insert, HLD undertray, Angry Badger tailtidy,  Michelin Road 5s, Givi E21s, E46 topbox, Ohlins shock and YSS cartridge emulators   Currently not fitted - PC3, Remus Revolutions.

LCErj.jpg

Putting up with the "niner" jokes since 2005
Check out http://www.hotcoldground.co.uk we're really rather good!
Like food? I feed people -  SmokinGrillGuy <p>

#7 dmmsta

dmmsta

• 3,627 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 07:00 pm

Fixed :)

https://youtu.be/hlfN9Z6IlI0

https://youtu.be/ysQThqrpI1c

https://youtu.be/HeMSfgb5tks

https://youtu.be/Ikjw4IheeF4

https://youtu.be/JutNhZw1TB0

https://youtu.be/F9yQylk1heI

-----
Fuel Pipes
Givi Top Box
Renthal 758's
Grip Puppies
MRA Bubble
Dip & Hi HIDs

To-Do:
LED DRLs
Loobman
Powercoat Wheels
Hand Guards

-----
post-1-1150550733.gif...post-1-1150559830.gif...copilot_zpsgezqc0xz.jpg...hids.jpg...

#8 dmmsta

dmmsta

• 3,627 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 07:29 pm

Dave Moss - The man knows his shizzle.

I guess the TDM is more ol' school, but still some good info there - with oil change on my forks coming up I really must try to get them dialed in better.

-----
Fuel Pipes
Givi Top Box
Renthal 758's
Grip Puppies
MRA Bubble
Dip & Hi HIDs

To-Do:
LED DRLs
Loobman
Powercoat Wheels
Hand Guards

-----

#9 dmmsta

dmmsta

• 3,627 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 03:41 pm

I've read this before:
http://www.carpe-tdm...=14013&p=132173

But wondered if there was anything similar for the 9er...I couldn't find anything directly in search.

I've got stock standard setup on my 9er, and at ~14st I'm not a massive cake fiend.

Do people think I'll be able to get some sort of sensible from the OEM front end?

-----
Fuel Pipes
Givi Top Box
Renthal 758's
Grip Puppies
MRA Bubble
Dip & Hi HIDs

To-Do:
LED DRLs
Loobman
Powercoat Wheels
Hand Guards

-----

#10 celticbiker

celticbiker

has been here 4ever

• 1,726 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 13 March 2017 - 07:19 pm

I tried for 130000 miles on my first 9er to no avail.
My second one has race tech gold valves in the forks which make a big difference and the nitron rear shock completes the set up.
Unfortunately it's the only way you will get anything like stability and control at speed with the tdm.
The trouble is, like all yams, even the newest tracer they tend to be under sprung and under damped unless you are about nine stone wet through.

(\__/) This is bunny. Copy and paste

(x'.'x) bunny onto your page to help

(")-(") him gain world domination!

#11 dmmsta

dmmsta

• 3,627 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 10:04 pm

:(

My second one has race tech gold valves in the forks which make a big difference and the nitron rear shock completes the set up.

money1.gif

Unfortunately it's the only way you will get anything like stability and control at speed with the tdm.

t2309.gif

The trouble is, like all yams, even the newest tracer they tend to be under sprung and under damped unless you are about nine stone wet through.

:rotflmmfao:

Edited by dmmsta, 13 March 2017 - 10:15 pm.

-----
Fuel Pipes
Givi Top Box
Renthal 758's
Grip Puppies
MRA Bubble
Dip & Hi HIDs

To-Do:
LED DRLs
Loobman
Powercoat Wheels
Hand Guards

-----

#12 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,671 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 14 March 2017 - 09:38 am

The best thing for me on the 9er was to drop down low over the tank, with my head behind a slightly dirty screen, when countersteering becomes a total delight. (But I am 16 stone so maybe it's also the effect of getting the weight lower)

The 850 likes it too but i find that the 850 seating position, and the quicker steering causes me fewer steering problems. It hops about a bit more at the front than the 9er does but it seems easier to change line mid corner if necessary

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#13 Hombre

Hombre

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 08:04 am

One and a half hours long and a bit cheesy in places but lots of good stuff.

https://youtu.be/t0vUr5oUdNM

<p>BSA C15T, Ducati 200 Elite, Villiers Cub Trials Bitsa, Ariel Huntmaster, AJS 650 CSR, Sunbeam S7, Suzuki 650 Katana, Honda 400-4, Bultaco 350 Sherpa, Cotton Minarelli, Fantic 303, Yamaha SRX 400, Yamaha 550 Virago, Kawasaki ZZR 1100,  Fantic 305, Yamaha TDM 850 '91, Yamaha TDM 900 '04.  Ducati 200 Elite (again and now completed restoration), Yamaha SRX-600

#14 dmmsta

dmmsta

• 3,627 posts

Posted 03 May 2017 - 09:15 pm

Dragging this back up.

Wemoto sell YSS PD Valves at a more realistic price for my budget.

The question is what size is required and are these YSS valves any cop?

-----
Fuel Pipes
Givi Top Box
Renthal 758's
Grip Puppies
MRA Bubble
Dip & Hi HIDs

To-Do:
LED DRLs
Loobman
Powercoat Wheels
Hand Guards

-----

#15 Bjørge

Bjørge

has been here 4ever

• 1,791 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 03 May 2017 - 10:12 pm

Having used this technique for years I couldn't understand why I was having so much trouble.
After literally minutes of ceaseless searching I found the following videos and having used the information from them they have transformed the way I ride and how the bike behaves.
The most informative is the Troy Corsa one, He says the same as the others but actually explains the reasons for it and it was that video that explained why I was having so much trouble.
Basically a 30 year old technique has been fine and worked well for my bikes of choice because they were derived from 30 year old ideas and understanding of suspension and geometry but around 2006 there was a change in understanding of these things and bikes since then have been based on race bike derived technology, this also requires a change in riding technique to get the best out of the bike.

This is my experience, too - now and then riding new/-ish bikes, I must forget about countersteering, just look where you want to go and you get there . Rode a MT-07 tracer for a coupla days and it literally rides itself. First time I experienced something like this was on a 2001 VFR. I almost panicked and didn't understand how to steer it. After 30 kms or so - "aha! forget about turnig the bike ! not necesary !" 

I must say, though, that my MkI with gold valves, nitron rear shoch\k and new PR3s starts feeling like a new(ish) bike. A bit top heavy, though...

Edited by Bjørge, 03 May 2017 - 10:13 pm.

Bjørge

#16 harvey krumpet

harvey krumpet

full o shoite

• 2,050 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 04 May 2017 - 09:13 pm

In addition to counter steering I did some practice and training on body position to maximise grip on the road and increase control. I've always ridden like a puddin. Pretty static and upright on a bike like the cops on the old Beemers. I jumped on a Fireblade a few years ago and much to my horror it refused to go around tight corners without a wrestling match. Bloody sprot bikes thought I.

Anyhoo, The techniques I learned are to pivot around the tank to get your weight onto the inside of the corner, this is not sliding across the seat and hanging a cheek off. You pivot around the tank pushing your inside knee further forward and weighting the inside footrest as your body weight shifts. A strong position, well braced by gripping with your knees. Drop your elbow and shoulder and turn your head to look as far through the corner as possible. The old scone is pretty heavy and getting it inside the centre line makes a difference to turning, quite a big one.

It's taken me a couple of years to get this technique comfortable and natural and I only really move if I'm pressing on but I think I may be doing it subliminally quite often.

From a road safety perspective the idea is to have the bike slightly more upright for a given speed to increase grip margins. From a riding perspective it just seems to increase corner speed.

I jumped on a GSX R recently and it felt really agile and natural with the new inputs.

TDM 850 Loud and unusual. CRM 250r Woo hoo! DT 230 Lanza Fiddled with.... Bloody hell, is that legal? GG Randonee AKA "I didn't think that was possible".

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users