#1 jiff

jiff

Knight of Postsalot

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 23 March 2017 - 12:24 pm

.......am I alone in suffering grinding frustration when attempting to access, let alone enjoy, the interesting content that promises to reside within 'visordown' ( as I understand it, an online sorta digest of MCN )
.....it keeps dropping out, then reloading, freezing, refusing to scroll down or 'turn the page' and so on,
and though my iPad is pretty 'vintage' and can be said to carry some of the blame, there is no other site that I visit that generates a comparable amount of grief.......anyone care to compare their own experience?
( by the way , the problems equally apply whether or not I log in using my password )

........Jiff.

#2 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,213 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 23 March 2017 - 03:37 pm

Prolly Adchoices running long scripts, which also tests my old patoota to the max.  Johnson Press also does the same when I access my local newspaper online.  Ebay can also be a fookin' pain. 

Carpes' brill tho' no adverts on here :)

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#3 ChrisG

ChrisG

Resident vulture

• 8,276 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 23 March 2017 - 05:56 pm

Try installing Adblock Plus addon to your browser.  A lot of the time it's adverts that cause these issues and the sites run fine with an adblocker.  I get that many sites stay online due to raising money from adverts, but once they make those ads so intrusive that you can't use the site they've shot themselves in the foot as people will just block them.

1992 Mk1, 76k miles, Hagon springs, MTC exhaust, 4½ gears Gone now :(
2009 900 abs, 42k miles, Yamaha heated grips, double bubble screen, R&G crash bungs, scottoiler, Autocom, 1500 lumen LED spotlights.

post-1-1152402501.jpgpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#4 Got1now

Got1now

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 240 posts
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 23 March 2017 - 06:01 pm

Try installing Adblock Plus addon to your browser.  A lot of the time it's adverts that cause these issues and the sites run fine with an adblocker.  I get that many sites stay online due to raising money from adverts, but once they make those ads so intrusive that you can't use the site they've shot themselves in the foot as people will just block them.

Sounds like same probs I get on my tablet.
Sites work fine on laptop, but stick and freeze on my Nexus.
For the uninitiated, (me), can you explain how to install the adblocker on a tablet?
Simple terms please

#5 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,747 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 23 March 2017 - 06:19 pm

I quite like some of the reading material on Visordown but due to very similar issues i just avoid the site now, Ebay has very recently become a complete pita, on Laptop or Tablet, seems fine on the phone though !!

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#6 Robodene

Robodene

Robodene

• 1,513 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 23 March 2017 - 11:31 pm

I do not have many problems with the site on my (oldish) tablet, though it needs patience sometimes. The site's subject matter is just an excuse to advertise all manner of stuff, but I do look in quite often. Any site with ads needs time to boot them up. Carpe - praise be - none.
1940s Ariel 350 (ex-military) Khaki > Black & White '56' Kymco Venox 250 Metallic Grey '56' TDM 900/A (ABS) Silver[b] '56' Yamaha MT-03 White <p>[b] '14' Yamaha MT-07 Matt Grey[b] '17' Honda Rebel 500 

#7 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,114 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 24 March 2017 - 04:48 am

Topic sounds loike a good name for a biker cafe. :-)

Indeedy no ads on carpe.
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#8 ChrisG

ChrisG

Resident vulture

• 8,276 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 10:28 am

For the uninitiated, (me), can you explain how to install the adblocker on a tablet?
Simple terms please

Depends on the web browser you're using, but in the top right there should be a gear wheel or a ... for the settings menu, and there should be an option to manage add-ons. You should then find an option to add new addons and be able to search what's available and add Adblock Plus to the list.

Alternatively https://adblockplus.org/should tell you how to do it for your browser

2009 900 abs, 42k miles, Yamaha heated grips, double bubble screen, R&G crash bungs, scottoiler, Autocom, 1500 lumen LED spotlights.

#9 hallrob1

hallrob1

has been here 4ever

• 1,098 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 06:14 pm

Wow - what a difference.

A few of the triumph forums I use are US based and used to take ages to load - they are practically instant now, thanks!

1999 Gilera Runner 125SP, 2002 Piaggio X9 250, 2004 Bandit 600, 2005 TDM 900, 2007 Honda CB1300S, 2008 Tiger 1050, 1996 Triumph Sprint 900, 2006 Tiger 955i, 2018 Triumph Tiger Sport,  2023 Triumph Tiger 900, XJR1300, 2011 (2009) TDM 900, 

Farkles - Laser Duo Techs, MTC Stainless Exhausts, Laser Duo Techs, Power Commander and custom map, Tenere 1200 Handguards, Yamaha Heated Grips, MRA Vario screen, SW Motech Alurack,  Givi and Hepco and Becker top boxes, Givi Engine bars, Garmin Zumo XT

#10 dmmsta

dmmsta

supporter of the "Anti-Dazzle" Club

• 3,627 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 24 March 2017 - 09:43 pm

If you're a bit techy have a look at https://pi-hole.net/

It replaces you ISP DNS, and from what I've read / been told by a friend who uses it can block pretty much anything - including the ad's that appear in some iOS/Android games on tablets/phones.

If you have a Pi knocking around unused at home the all you need is Raspbian and the curl script on PiHole website.

MY06 TDM 900 Blue over Silver 354906_45.png
-----
Fuel Pipes
Givi Top Box
Renthal 758's
Grip Puppies
MRA Bubble
Dip & Hi HIDs

To-Do:
LED DRLs
Loobman
Powercoat Wheels
Hand Guards

-----
MY04 TDM 900 Blue over Silver Parts Bin
MY02 TDM 900 Yellow over Black RIP
post-1-1150550733.gif...post-1-1150559830.gif...copilot_zpsgezqc0xz.jpg...hids.jpg...

#11 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,213 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 09:51 pm

Pihole :lol:

Just installed Adblock, fookin' great on ebay and my local news webshite, cheers Chris. :good:

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#12 Got1now

Got1now

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 240 posts
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 24 March 2017 - 10:50 pm

Simple terms please

Cheers, sounds like you've saved me from chuckin' the tablet through the window....... :good:

#13 jiff

jiff

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts

Posted 25 March 2017 - 10:01 am

..........nursery help required

OK, so I used the link in Chris G's post above to get to Adblock.....( slightly confused when I arrived there because it refered to itself as the source of Adblockplus.....are there two different apps?)
Anyway, downloaded Adblock to my iPad from the appstore, and now have an Adblock icon on my display....
Which seemed to provide me with an alternative (looking) browser.

But what next?
do I approach potentially 'difficult' sites (like visordown) by tapping the Adblock icon which, via it's own browser, should enable
access to that site, virtually ad-free?........or do I somehow combine use of that icon with my usual browser (safari / google)

Yeah!...I know.....I'm a twerp......but (clearly) easily confused in this neck of the woods

....Jiff.

#14 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,213 posts

Posted 25 March 2017 - 10:20 am

Well, on my patoota Adblock runs all the time and I only hit the adblock icon if I want to exclude the site I'm on from using Adblock. Installing it did throw up the status bar at the bottom of the screen but I removed that by clicking on the View tab at the top and deselecting the status bar in the Toolbars section.

#15 jiff

jiff

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts

Posted 25 March 2017 - 11:41 am

Well, on my patoota Adblock runs all the time and I only hit the adblock icon if I want to exclude the site I'm on from using Adblock. Installing it did throw up the status bar at the bottom of the screen but I removed that by clicking on the View tab at the top and deselecting the status bar in the Toolbars section.

Oh that's interestingly counter-intuitive!......so you hit the Adblock icon when you DON'T want Adblock to run!.......?
Id'a thought tapping an icon makes the app work......don't doubt you for a second....just my confusion mounting

in the meanwhile, having aquired adblock, I have gone to visordown via what appears to be the Adblock browser.....so far it seems to be just as jerky/ clunky as before......haven't yet been aware as to whether I'm seing less ads.

anyone tried adblockplus?

.....Jiff

#16 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,213 posts

Posted 25 March 2017 - 05:28 pm

Ooops, sorry Jiff  I am using Adblock plus.

#17 ChrisG

ChrisG

Resident vulture

• 8,276 posts

Posted 25 March 2017 - 06:40 pm

Dunno about Fruit based devices.  I use Adblock Plus as an extension on Chrome and it runs for all sites, but if I click on the icon on the top right of the browser I can turn it off for a specific site.  

There are some options available though which may explain Studley's view.  Mine's set to allow non intrusive adverts so I still see some sidebar ads on Facebook for example.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users