#42 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 25 September 2020 - 03:29 pm

Hope i can still keep me knob twisted out..

Lots of hoses on these carbs, a rubber hose between float bowls with another off the left bowl i assume is float bowl overflow pipe, the T-bar joint with a hose attached is at the back of carbs as opposed to front on 3vd plus a brass fuel spigot on the front of the left carb, which one is fuel in then ?  carb or t-joint at the back please, dont wanna make a mess now.. 

Left slider was a bit stuck so cleaned that up and a bit of carb cleaner on the jets but left in situ, gonna fit them in the morning.. 

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#43 MickC

MickC

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 404 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 26 September 2020 - 10:15 am

With the float bowls off just blow down the hoses one will blow through the float neddle jobbies,thats the one cant remember off hand but would say the middle one will fill the carbs.

Dont forget you will have water pipes to these carbs wich you wont need one in one between and one out i think.

I dont have time to pull the tank to check this weekend but if your still stuck give me a shout Sunday on here and I will make an effort to look Monday. :good:

#44 dablik

dablik

• 10,735 posts

Posted 26 September 2020 - 11:26 am

With the float bowls off just blow down the hoses one will blow through the float neddle jobbies,thats the one cant remember off hand but would say the middle one will fill the carbs.

Dont forget you will have water pipes to these carbs wich you wont need one in one between and one out i think.

I dont have time to pull the tank to check this weekend but if your still stuck give me a shout Sunday on here and I will make an effort to look Monday. :good:

Cheers Mick, got them trial fitted just now, i wondered  if they were water pipes as in the early R1, okay so blank those off as not needed, the brass spigot IS fuel in from a video i found and it's on the left carb,  looked like it was fuel in on the vid but when ya blow into it you only get resistance, so the hose of the back rail T is oveflow, the other 2 hoses, one on front of left carb and one on the right side of the right carb must be the water pipes, you can blow through them cleanly, them's plugged off now..

My choke cable fit's okay and twists to lock, the idle adjuster will fit same place as 3vd one, on the clutch cable bracket, cant fit to the petcock as it will fowl the on/off tap.

Throttle cables wont fit, the ferrule on the push cable wont fit in the holder (looks like a stubby bullet) as it's different than 3vd, tight by a midgies hair but, from images it's a different design, also denoted by the last 2 digits of the part number, could certainly be bodged to fit but i suspect the 3vd throttle cables will come up a tad short ! not sure.

So hope that's helpful to anyone else wants to shove a pair on, will update as i go along, need some late throttle cables now.

Edited to rectify info.

Edited by dablik, 27 September 2020 - 05:10 pm.

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#45 MickC

MickC

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 26 September 2020 - 08:05 pm

Dabs you and Daps have both mention twist to lock choke cable I might be missing something here will check Monday.

Water pipes dont need to be blanked off no air will go in and no fuel will come out completly different system.

The water pipes are much smaller than the fuel pipes,I think smaller size than  the vacume pipes.

I used the 3VD throttle cables.Try harder. :good:

cant fit to the petcock as it will fowl the on/off tap......Not sure what that means.

I literally pushed the carbs on left the water brass fittings open and just connected them up it was that easy.

#46 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 26 September 2020 - 08:44 pm

I knew I had a photo somewhere, showing my mk2a carbs in situ. Bit late to the party.

5204990766_80ce709b30_b.jpg

I still can't remember which is the fuel suppy but I reckon it's the pipe that goes to the left carb at the bottom.  Reason I say this is that the pipe has a metal spring clamp holding it in place, whereas the pipe to the T connection doesn't have a clamp.  Also, I know the fuel pump was located on the right side of the bike, which is where the pipe mentioned looks to be heading. Might be wrong though.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#47 dablik

dablik

• 10,735 posts

Posted 26 September 2020 - 10:00 pm

Dabs you and Daps have both mention twist to lock choke cable I might be missing something here will check Monday.

Water pipes dont need to be blanked off no air will go in and no fuel will come out completly different system.

The water pipes are much smaller than the fuel pipes,I think smaller size than  the vacume pipes.

I used the 3VD throttle cables.Try harder. :good:

cant fit to the petcock as it will fowl the on/off tap......Not sure what that means.

I literally pushed the carbs on left the water brass fittings open and just connected them up it was that easy.

Mick you mentioned in another post that when you bought the mk2a carbs it already had throttle cables on it so i assume they were'nt 3vd cables ??  mk2a and 3vd cables are different, need a bit of bodging to fit though, water pipes are smaller but the length of them lust leaves em hanging about, i'll leave stubbies on..

Mk2a idle adjuster fits same place as petrol tap/petcock on 3vd..

I knew I had a photo somewhere, showing my mk2a carbs in situ. Bit late to the party.

5204990766_80ce709b30_b.jpg

I still can't remember which is the fuel suppy but I reckon it's the pipe that goes to the left carb at the bottom.  Reason I say this is that the pipe has a metal spring clamp holding it in place, whereas the pipe to the T connection doesn't have a clamp.  Also, I know the fuel pump was located on the right side of the bike, which is where the pipe mentioned looks to be heading. Might be wrong though.

Hm, you might be right as well, thought that was the case when i watched a video then edited the post above after trying the other hose, i'll take float bowls off and see if it fills the bowls, i blew down that pipe but only felt resistance, i can see in your pic the different throttle cable..

At 1.53 in this Video.

Edited by dablik, 26 September 2020 - 10:09 pm.

#48 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 27 September 2020 - 03:31 pm

Yeah, he says benzina when he removes the pipe off the spigot. :good:

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#49 dablik

dablik

• 10,735 posts

Posted 27 September 2020 - 05:05 pm

Yeah, he says benzina when he removes the pipe off the spigot. :good:

Oh does he, i had it on mute but i thought that was the correct one originally, confirmed today anyhow, which means these carbs have the overflow on the back bar t joint, no overflow on float bowl like 3vd......got 3vd cables to fit...bodge fit as they were needing replacement anyway, however they were fouling due to the angle of the dangle when fitted in the guide and throttle jamming up on return, mk2a cables have a bit of a dog leg on em to facilitate the angle, so i dunno what magic Mick has done to fit them. Access to float bowls and pilots is better than 3vd although still have to move battery and box really...measured me float height @ 13mm yours may be different  :)

#50 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 27 September 2020 - 06:19 pm

:good:

Easier to get a screwdriver on the pilot screws too iirc.

#51 MickC

MickC

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 29 September 2020 - 01:14 pm

Daps had a look at my carb stash and the 3VD jobbies still have the cables on so i must have done the swap at the throttle end,I do appoligies old bean i gave you a bum steer earlier :punishment:

#52 dablik

dablik

• 10,735 posts

Posted 29 September 2020 - 04:46 pm

Daps had a look at my carb stash and the 3VD jobbies still have the cables on so i must have done the swap at the throttle end,I do appoligies old bean i gave you a bum steer earlier :punishment:

I'll forgive ya Mick  as your normally most helpful  :D  :wub:  snagged a set of oem cables which are on the way..

#53 dablik

dablik

• 10,735 posts

Posted 12 October 2020 - 12:15 pm

Dont know which is worse, the fookin rain when i have 2 weeks off, all pre-booked and cant change or the lack of delivery by RM again, ordered a set of oem cables off the bay 2 weeks ago to fit while off work and yup, already a week late.....bloody frustrating as a few nice days forecast.

#54 drewpy

drewpy

has been here 4ever

• 1,753 posts

Posted 13 October 2020 - 01:17 pm

Not having much luck Cliff, seems a fight to the finish. 

"As I Lay Rubber down to street, I pray for traction I can keep. But if I skid and begin to slide, please dear god protect my ride"

Mods; Oil pressure switch, neoprene rear inner mudguard, scottoiler, highway pegs,  fenda extenda, 1999 carbs and airbox, Kais suspension setup, later clutch springs, LED lamps, Metmachex swingarm, Hagon Shock, Oxford heated grips, 4 way fused accessory Bus, 17" 3CV front wheel, Michellin R6 tyres, GPS speedo, 5' ignition advance.

#55 dablik

dablik

• 10,735 posts

Posted 13 October 2020 - 03:46 pm

Aye Drew, however my regular postie is back on the job today, seems he's been off 2 weeks and the lazy arses covering his leave have left most of the parcels at the sorting office, so received today finally, tomorrows looking okay so fingers crossed..

#56 Snowbird

Snowbird

Just won't go.

• 1,349 posts
  • Location:Often on another planet, but mostly south Cambs. (St.Neots)
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 13 October 2020 - 06:27 pm

Good luck! You must be due some......

Current toys: '99 XT600E, 2000 4TX, '82 Princess 30DS (where the username comes from), No longer a '03 Fazer thou.

Save the planet, it's the only one with beer!

#57 dablik

dablik

• 10,735 posts

Posted 14 October 2020 - 02:04 pm

No luck i'm afraid Dave  :(

Fitted mk2 oem cables today, on account of the throttle sticking at WOT i've had to re-route the cables 3 times to the throttle grip assuming the problem laid in new stiff cables and angle of dangle at the carbs, finally managed to make it better but at the throttle grip on rotation the cable is hanging up now ever so slightly before being pulled back, snap back delayed by a second or so, free play is a bit tight at the throttle and no more adjustment, so i think they are a tad shorter than mk1 cables and carbs !!

Opening the throttle on the linkage at the carbs i find i've still got a sticky throttle just the same, pulled the carbs to clean and lube the linkage again but it's catching on the last quarter of the throttle opening (much more exaggerated at the throttle grip where it's about the last 1/8th) it's not very noticeable until the cables are fitted in situ, cant help wondering if this may of been the cause of the crash from the bike they came off ??

Basically it looks like the butterfly throttle shaft/s are catching maybe, i'm unsure, it feels like a small notch, a little resistance before opening all the way and as i said much exaggerated up top..... not sure what the issue is, bent shaft maybe ?? not a job i fancy doing on a second set of carbs... i wonder if stripping them of seals and giving them a 5 min boil may free up any shoite in em ? gonna have to peruse the internet furra solution.

So once again i'm up the bloody river without a paddle, had to seat the mk1 carbs on for now to keep everything weather tight, i had hoped to be putting some miles on this winter on nicer days as i dont want it sat around outside, but unable to even get it up and running now..

This fookin build has bit me on the arse so many times i may just burn the bassad  :blink:

Edited by dablik, 14 October 2020 - 02:07 pm.

#58 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 14 October 2020 - 02:35 pm

Just take yer time sorting them carbs up over winter dabs and Ewell be ready for some summer lovin!

Wassup wod the 3VD Juan's?
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#59 Bjørge

Bjørge

has been here 4ever

• 1,791 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 14 October 2020 - 02:36 pm

Does this mean Mk2 cables seem to fit, or are you still in doubt?
Bjørge

#60 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 14 October 2020 - 03:44 pm

I was getting a snagging throttle and it turned out to be the throttle grip snagging on the bar end weight.

Just wondering if you could remove the springs from the throttle shafts, or split the carbs, and then check the operation as it would be easier to notice the potential problem of a bent shaft ?  A clean won't do any harm, you already mentioned earlier a problem with a sticky slider.

I'm sure you'll sort it matey. :good:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users