• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 NormanHouse

NormanHouse

discovering Carpe

• 13 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 13 August 2021 - 10:19 am

For a few weeks now my 08 plate has been reluctant to start.

Engine lights on, needles do the sweep thing, green neutral light.

Press starter button and just a click sound - this will happen several times and eventually fire.

Checked battery, adjusted clutch cable, power cut switch and the sidestand is always up.

Am I correct in assuming it is a worn/failing Starter relay?

Is it straightforward to exchange?

#2 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,757 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 13 August 2021 - 11:44 am

Usually they work or dont, check for corrosion and check earth connections, easy enough to replace.. in fact i would lift the tank on it's hinge and pull and refit the connectors, usually spray mine with acf50, sometimes also a red wire gets corroded on one of the connectors underneath the tank, sounds like an intermittent problem if it fires eventually..

Edited by dablik, 13 August 2021 - 11:46 am.

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#3 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,214 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 13 August 2021 - 01:53 pm

The click sound would suggest the solenoid is working and the battery could be flat or need charging.  Battery voltage would ideally be up around 12.9v

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#4 NormanHouse

NormanHouse

discovering Carpe

• 13 posts

Posted 13 August 2021 - 03:52 pm

Just tried it again.
Starter button, three times with a click.
Fourth time fires up!
Battery is at 12.6v so presume OK.
Do they (relays) degrade? I.E. Get worse if corroded or would it just stop working completely?

#5 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,676 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 13 August 2021 - 05:51 pm

Does the fuel pump spin up as soon as you turn the ignition on each time, or do you only hear it the time it fires up ?

Additionally, With good battery voltage and a solenoid always clicking it could still be a solenoid fault, but equally a bad connector in the +12V high current starter circuit, a loose connector or corrossion at the spade and ring terminals on that wire.

WHats the history of the bike, has it been stood for a long time, or is it your daily rider ?

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#6 NormanHouse

NormanHouse

discovering Carpe

• 13 posts

Posted 13 August 2021 - 06:53 pm

It stood over winter with an optimate. Used every other day for 40 mile commute.
Now getting concerned it will not fire up when out and about. Definitely getting worse.

Edited by NormanHouse, 13 August 2021 - 07:01 pm.

#7 NormanHouse

NormanHouse

discovering Carpe

• 13 posts

Posted 13 August 2021 - 07:02 pm

I've had it for 3.5 years - low miles. 15k I think.

#8 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,676 posts

Posted 13 August 2021 - 07:09 pm

I've had it for 3.5 years - low miles. 15k I think.

Does the fuel pump fire up every time you turn the ignition on ? (you should hear a whirring coming from the petrol tank for a couple of seconds after switching on) or does it sometimes not start and those are also the times you can't start her.

And the clicking noise you hear, is it good loud click, or small quiet tap coming from under the left side panel ?

#9 MarshallStone

MarshallStone

sticking around

• 38 posts
  • TDM model: none yet

Posted 13 August 2021 - 07:22 pm

As you mentioned that you have gone through your battery and the adjusted the clutch. The problem can be with the starter motor or the relay. Check for the corrosion before getting it changed and Keep us posted!

#10 NormanHouse

NormanHouse

discovering Carpe

• 13 posts

Posted 13 August 2021 - 09:15 pm

Pretty sure the fuel pump is whirring - it will start after all. Just takes a few times. But it is getting worse.
A definite single click audible from off the bike.

#11 chrisr

chrisr

has been here 4ever

• 1,746 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 14 August 2021 - 07:28 am

Try a new battery first

The Blue One : 2004 model owned 2010-2018 much loved, much missed and now living with a man in Scotland
The Black One : 2010 Model Registered 2013 owned 2018 - present.Beowulf Cans. Renthal 755s Grip Puppies,15w fork oil,DL650 handguards,givi engine bars,led spotlights,gipro gear indicator,shortened dogbones,LeeHenty CSM kit and stainless bits,Topsellerie seat,MRA Xcreen,grip puppies.PC III (dynoed). K&N airfilter,Fenda extenda.

#12 NormanHouse

NormanHouse

discovering Carpe

• 13 posts

Posted 14 August 2021 - 07:36 am

New Battery even though it reads 12.6?

#13 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,676 posts

Posted 14 August 2021 - 07:43 am

Pretty sure the fuel pump is whirring - it will start after all.

There is a known fault where a connector to a relay corrodes and one of the devices which start to work intermittently is the fuel pump. Sometimes it won't work, and so it won't start, and other times it starts normally. Sounded similar to your symptoms, but if you're certain that it works every time it won't be that particular fault

#14 Catteeclan

Catteeclan

full o shoite

• 2,441 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 14 August 2021 - 08:18 am

Find the starter motor positive wire and connect a 12v bulb/test light, (not a crappy led type),  between that and the chassis, hit the start button. Bulb lights up nice and bright you have a starter issue, if not you'll be working backwards from there.
Also check the main earth to the engine.

2002 TDM900 Yellow

#15 thong

thong

enuff posts to fill a 50cc

• 50 posts

Posted 15 August 2021 - 09:52 am

For a few weeks now my 08 plate has been reluctant to start.

Engine lights on, needles do the sweep thing, green neutral light.

Press starter button and just a click sound - this will happen several times and eventually fire.

Checked battery, adjusted clutch cable, power cut switch and the sidestand is always up.

Am I correct in assuming it is a worn/failing Starter relay?

Is it straightforward to exchange?

I would just like to say that I had this exact same problem and replacing the relay cured it.

#16 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 15 August 2021 - 11:07 am

i'd squirt contact cleaner into the rhs  handlebar switch cluster which will clean dirty starter contacts.  Always try the cheap stuff before buying batteries and relays. 

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#17 PICARD

PICARD

has been here 4ever

• 1,744 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 15 August 2021 - 01:09 pm

+1 for starting at the switch.
Lock onto my co-ordinates and beam me up !!

04 900 - 92 mk 1 - r 1150 rs - Z550 A1 - 2x bonnies - plastic slug -XL185 - ...not in that order !! (and one or two i don't want / dare to own up to !!)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users