37 replies to this topic

#21 Riggers

Riggers

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 15 September 2021 - 12:21 pm

I found that a Booster Plug worked better than a Power Commander on my '09' 9er and that's where I left it.

I reckon any bike running with a 50 - 60mm chain slack is always going to be a bit jerky in take up, so I just live with it.

Just my 2 pennyworth.

Riggers.

#22 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,668 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 15 September 2021 - 12:28 pm

I fitted the dreaded resistor mod, the not very linear response version of a booster plug and noted it smoothed things too, just by slightly enriching the mix.
Yamaha must have gone to town on emissions reductions, honourable endeavor , just not the best 'feel ' all the time

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#23 Bjørge

Bjørge

has been here 4ever

• 1,791 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 15 September 2021 - 12:45 pm

I fitted the dreaded resistor mod, the not very linear response version of a booster plug and noted it smoothed things too, just by slightly enriching the mix.
Yamaha must have gone to town on emissions reductions, honourable endeavor , just not the best 'feel ' all the time

To confirm this - my new Tracer 7 is even more snatchy, being EURO4 (or 5 ?) compliant.

Bjørge

#24 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,668 posts

Posted 15 September 2021 - 01:46 pm

I almost bought a mt-07, and after reading up it looked like the first mod should be a remap, for all the best reasons.
User comments were along the lines of 'the bike it was always meant to be'

#25 Coxylaad

Coxylaad

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 23 September 2021 - 09:50 am

Probably no use to you at all but i ditched my entire ecu and installed a standalone ecu from from Ignitech. the difference is night and day. The throttle reponse is butter smooth and predictable, with no emmissions, noise or any other nanny state restrictions in it. just designed to get the best and most efficiency from the engine

wasnt cheap but its transformed the bike. 

#26 dandywarhol

dandywarhol

Carpe Citizen

• 5,324 posts

Posted 24 September 2021 - 09:55 am

Probably no use to you at all but i ditched my entire ecu and installed a standalone ecu from from Ignitech. the difference is night and day. The throttle reponse is butter smooth and predictable, with no emmissions, noise or any other nanny state restrictions in it. just designed to get the best and most efficiency from the engine

wasnt cheap but its transformed the bike. 

Interesting - I never experienced any issues with that bike and the PC remapped to suit the tune and Akra cans

1967 Yamaha TD1C 250, 2014 Kawasaki W800, 2011 Aprilia Tuono 1000 V4, 2020 Yamaha XSR900

"At the cutting edge of technophobia" Scotland_180-animated-flag-gifs.gif mccoy.gif

#27 Coxylaad

Coxylaad

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 24 September 2021 - 09:32 pm

I never experienced any issues either, until the powercommander died. Despit that the new ecu is light years ahead of the original
I never experienced any issues either, until the powercommander died. Despit that the new ecu is light years ahead of the original
Wow!

#28 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,105 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 25 September 2021 - 06:27 am

....now for the chorus....everyone sing along. (✷‿✷)
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#29 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,668 posts

Posted 25 September 2021 - 09:43 am

Wow!

Out of interest, how did you manage fueling during slowdown ? Do you cut the fuel completely on overrun ?

#30 Speeedy67

Speeedy67

arrived on last train

• 2 posts
  • TDM model: 2005

Posted 25 September 2021 - 04:27 pm

Just found the above whilse treking thorugh Youtube...

My 05 900 TDM is judder on low revs which makes for quite a nuisance ride tbh.

Am off to give this a try - should be looking at around +54 C1 / C2 (cylinders 1 and 2) 

Will let you know if it makes any difference 

Cheers

#31 Speeedy67

Speeedy67

arrived on last train

• 2 posts
  • TDM model: 2005

Posted 25 September 2021 - 04:51 pm

Ok...Just adjusted the C02 settings on the bike - fuck me its a different machine.

Adjusted to +18 on both cylinders 

See previous YouTube clip I posted about how to do..

Just ridden it up road and at these settings I have to report that at low revs there is about a 70% improvement - just by pressing a few buttons!

Looking at the C02 settings on both cylinders one was registering -1 FFS which is positively LEEEEEEEEEN

So riching up the C02 settings has improved this machine no end.

Am gonna see how she rides on a longer trip later and depending on how she behaves will adjust or leave accordingly.

Hope the above helps with this not so terminal issue on 900 TDM's

Pete :)

#32 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,105 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 25 September 2021 - 05:03 pm

It's here too http://www.carpe-tdm...opic=722&page=1
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#33 Coxylaad

Coxylaad

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 28 September 2021 - 07:48 am

Out of interest, how did you manage fueling during slowdown ? Do you cut the fuel completely on overrun ?

If I remember correctly I did a full fuel cut above 4000rpm, becuse the engine is sucking so hard the snatch just isnt there.  as the revs dropped I started to add fuel in on the overrun. Combined that with some tweaking of the ignition map on the crack of the throttle it eliminated any snatch. there is just none.  I was thinking about selling the bike as I am just not keen on the looks of the 900, and also I keep getting enticed by the lure of some fancy rider aids,  but then engine setup on the TDM is perfect for spirited road touring. One day I will just make my own fairings and front/rear end. 

#34 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,668 posts

Posted 28 September 2021 - 08:18 am

If I remember correctly I did a full fuel cut above 4000rpm, becuse the engine is sucking so hard the snatch just isnt there.  as the revs dropped I started to add fuel in on the overrun. Combined that with some tweaking of the ignition map on the crack of the throttle it eliminated any snatch. there is just none.  I was thinking about selling the bike as I am just not keen on the looks of the 900, and also I keep getting enticed by the lure of some fancy rider aids,  but then engine setup on the TDM is perfect for spirited road touring. One day I will just make my own fairings and front/rear end. 

Sounds like the easier solution to me, better the devil you know !

I was looking at other bikes for a more 'modern' feel, but now I've upgraded the rear shock  suddenly the handling is transformed, so while the bike owes me nothing it doesn't make sense to change it !

By the time it gives up the ghost KTM 950's should be cheaper ;)

#35 Coxylaad

Coxylaad

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 28 September 2021 - 10:29 am

my issue is I already have a project bike that should be taking all my time up.  

Im also carrying a pillion a lot more so id have liked a bit more low down oomph, but in reality the bike does everything i need way better than most. 

just need to remove the silly bulbous side fairings and replace them with something a bit more angular. anyways I digress - the main point was the snatchiness is all software and nothing to do with any hardware!

#36 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 29 September 2021 - 06:10 am

wow i love the idea that you have really fine tuned that 900 with the ignitech.  Ian i stihl need to get up in the loft and dig out those 3VD bits,  harass me during this week and i'll do it.

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#37 Coxylaad

Coxylaad

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 29 September 2021 - 08:33 am

like a stalker  :lol:

#38 thong

thong

seems to like Carpe

• 49 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 04 November 2021 - 07:41 pm

an old Dobeck Fuel Injection Control Box cured the snatch for me, also dont forget to set your tickover at 1400 as recommended by JBX

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users