#1 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,668 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 11 September 2021 - 11:35 am

In an attempt to get a Yorkshire bargain, I noticed that MT-09 rear shocks appeared to have the correct dimensions to fit the 900, and that Ohlins MT09 shocks were cheaper than the same Ohlins shock for the TDM900.

The market for the MT-09 rear shocks is more lively than for TDM's because the standard shock has been said to be quite poor, so lot's of shock changes are being done and competition in the aftermarket is therefore more intense, which is why I think they're priced lower than for the TDM900

Anyway, the top mount is a 30mm x 10mm, and the bottom is 30mm x 12mm, the TDM spring length is 185mm and Ohlins can be found at 190mm (spring codes starting 01096 are 190 mm long, and for a 180mm spring length the code begins with 01095)

Spring strengths end in -49 for 130N/mm (standard TDM rate), -54 for 140N/mm and -59 for 150N/mm

I found the strength of the standard 900 spring by scouring a lot of websites, which usually gives a variety of results due to typos and bad editing, but I settled for 130N/mm.

The MT-09 rear spring is 90N/mm so a straight swap to a TDM900 from an MT-09 would probably only work for an extremely lightweight rider The MT-09 has a longer travel rear suspension, hence the lighter spring required, which is due to the lever ratios in the bottom shock linkage being different to the TDM.

I've always felt the TDM spring was too light for me at 130N/mm, and considered the replacement Ohlins spring rates of 140N/mm and 150N/mm, settling on 140N/mm. Every 50mm of shock travel therefore requires another 50kg of weight, and as I'm 112kg fully loaded and the standard spring seems to be selected for an average rider weight of about 75kg I'm still in the same ballpark, but more but towards the firmer side.

The spring for the Ohlins I settled on was the 57mm ID,  190mm long, 140N/mm, which has a part number 01096 -54 ( the part number for the 150N/mm is 01096 -59)

The Ohlins replacement for an MT-09 is part number YA335, which I found for £414 from an Italian supplier, who agreed to replace the spring free of charge. But muggings here forgot that sometimes duty charges are applied and that was another £95 to UPS, making this a more expensive option then going to a UK supplier !!!. 

There's probably cheaper ways to check other shocks, like buy one from a scrapyard, but hey-ho :)

The length of the Ohlins shock, measured eye to eye,  is actually about 5mm longer than the standard  TDM, but has no effect at all because the spring is adjustable for preload (ride height).

I haven't gone through a full setting up yet, but the way the Ohlins arrived gave me 10mm static sag. I set the rebound to a slightly firmer than middle setting and just went for a quick test.

It's a great difference. Very settled through bends and extremely well controlled over rolling crests, especially when there's multiples of them in quick succession, which is a vast improvement over the standard TDM shock.

Anyway, I thought it might be of interest for future reference, to keep in mind that an MT-09 shock (years 2014-2019) seems to be a possible direct replacement for the TDM900 (if there's no additional awkwardly mounted reservoir on the shock body), except for the required spring change.

If you don't need to increase the spring rate then the existing TDM spring can probably work on the MT-09 shock body

I've seen some secondhand performance shocks for MT-09's with low mileages sell for very reasonable prices, the standard MT-09 shocks seem to be considered to be pretty worthless, judging by the prices they sell for, but either way if you needed a replacement shock in an emergency it might be beneficial to remember it as an option, as long as you also replace the spring (which might make it more expensive, not less !)

The YA335 is also listed as being suitable for the following bikes, which seems to make them suitable donors

• MT-09 (’14-’19)
  • MT-09 SP (’18)
  • MT-09 Sport Tracker ('14)
  • MT-09 Street Rally ('14-'15)
  • XSR 900 (’16-’19)

51446274070_02a77e480f_k.jpg20210911_101822 by Chris Barron, on Flickr

Edited by fixitsan, 12 September 2021 - 10:33 am.

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#2 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,668 posts

Posted 11 September 2021 - 11:43 am

I've just popped onto ebay and seen this

https://www.ebay.co....UQAAOSw4dhhNgIu

If only' I'ld waited a bit longer, !  but £499 for a fully adjustable Ohlins (plus £75 for a replacement spring) seems pretty good value if the shock is working well

EDIT  - you could obviously also fit the existing 900 spring (130N/mm)  to this particular shock and just get on with it for £499 !

Edited by fixitsan, 11 September 2021 - 11:25 pm.

#3 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,668 posts

Posted 12 September 2021 - 10:44 am

The longer travel MT-09 suspension is also faster moving on the MT-09, for the same amount of suspension travel as the TDM, this is possibly a reason why the standard MT-09 shock struggles, and in a slower , shorter travel suspension system like the TDM it isn't worked as hard. You can get very low mileage (changed because it didn't work well on the MT-09) MT-09 rear shocks for £50 with 5000 miles use. If i was made of money I would try one now just to see if the idea works, I think with a TDM spring the MT-09 shock could be a suitable cheap replacement to a standard worn TDM shock

Edited by fixitsan, 12 September 2021 - 12:06 pm.

#4 Catteeclan

Catteeclan

full o shoite

• 2,433 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 12 September 2021 - 01:28 pm

:good: Good work as always.  :drinks:

2002 TDM900 Yellow

#5 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,668 posts

Posted 12 September 2021 - 02:27 pm

:good: Good work as always.  :drinks:

:good: It would have been financially beneficial if it hadn't been for  those import duties !

#6 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 12 September 2021 - 07:52 pm

I've just popped onto ebay and seen this

https://www.ebay.co....UQAAOSw4dhhNgIu

If only' I'ld waited a bit longer, !  but £499 for a fully adjustable Ohlins (plus £75 for a replacement spring) seems pretty good value if the shock is working well

EDIT  - you could obviously also fit the existing 900 spring (130N/mm)  to this particular shock and just get on with it for £499 !

LOL wait till Dapleb see's who the Ebay seller is!

excellent research there Fixitsan  :good:

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#7 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,668 posts

Posted 12 September 2021 - 09:07 pm

LOL wait till Dapleb see's who the Ebay seller is!

Spill the beans !

#8 Favs

Favs

Sir Cumference

• 4,391 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 17 September 2021 - 02:45 pm

What's on

Single-handedly reviving the Wave.

2008 reg. Black TDM 900 ABS

#9 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,105 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 24 September 2021 - 02:18 pm

Spill the beans !

Ahhh I ewsed to do a bit for them. They do BMW parts mostly but break/parts for other stuff. Good chance it will be as described. Straight talking no nonsense is no sheet.

When Devon had a postal strike I used to load me TDM up with all the urgent orders and raggooo it down the b3227 to zummerzet...and get paid!!!
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#10 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,668 posts

Posted 24 September 2021 - 02:47 pm

Ahhh I ewsed to do a bit for them. They do BMW parts mostly but break/parts for other stuff. Good chance it will be as described. Straight talking no nonsense is no sheet.

When Devon had a postal strike I used to load me TDM up with all the urgent orders and raggooo it down the b3227 to zummerzet...and get paid!!!

Sounds like a great job !

#11 Coxylaad

Coxylaad

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 24 September 2021 - 09:29 pm

Whats the damping like on the new shock? It's designed to move further, so I'd imagine you will need to turn it up quite a bit?

I'm in exactly the same situation with my vfr project. I'm running a speed triple ohlins design for a 90nm spring, and the vfr1200 setup runs a 140nm spring
Whats the damping like on the new shock? It's designed to move further, so I'd imagine you will need to turn it up quite a bit?

I'm in exactly the same situation with my vfr project. I'm running a speed triple ohlins design for a 90nm spring, and the vfr1200 setup runs a 140nm spring

#12 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,668 posts

Posted 25 September 2021 - 09:38 am

Yes my first thought was that the shock was probably shimmed to provide less resistance due to the faster longer travel.

But then again, in the back of my mind i thought if a company can get away with ordering a huge load of identical shocks which are all the same to suit different bikes, and there's enough adjustment range to cover that whole range, then most companies would take the cheaper option and buy identical dampers in bulk, and modify with individual springs as required.

I haven't got another Ohlins for a TDM 900 to compare to, but I have the damping set more than halfway into it's range of endless clicks and have to say it's night and day compared to the old shock, which still had reasonable rebound damping, but little compression damping.

I can't change rebound independently from compression, but the factory set relationship between those two seems pretty good.

I use tyre wear patterns to diagnose suspension setting faults ( as per Dave Moss Tuning recommendations), and so far I haven't got any tyre wear faults to diagnose so I can't criticise it really. Hopefully one side of the sipes will develop a raised edge indicating too much or too little rebound and then I will adjust accordingly, but for now, after some  strong 'wearing in', I have even wear, nothing at all like the tyre I took off when the old shock was fitted.

I'll keep you posted if I feel it needs to be reshimed, but, I would expect it to feel underdamped in the TDM if it was specifically built for the range of travel and speed of change found on the MT-09, but it feels well controlled and the range of adjustment seems wide enough to manage any differences with room to spare

Edited by fixitsan, 25 September 2021 - 09:40 am.

#13 Coxylaad

Coxylaad

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 28 September 2021 - 08:19 am

Ultimately, if it feels right at the end of the day then its working! 

the shock i bought was an ebay special Ohlins TTX, so worst case I can change the damping cartridges, but as you say the damping adjustment range is there for a reason

#14 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,668 posts

Posted 28 September 2021 - 09:39 am

Ultimately, if it feels right at the end of the day then its working! 

the shock i bought was an ebay special Ohlins TTX, so worst case I can change the damping cartridges, but as you say the damping adjustment range is there for a reason

True. I thought the standard shock improved after I had it rebuilt, and it definitely did, but over a few years I guess the gas may have leaked out.

What a good difference the new shock has made, There's a road near me known as 'Lang Whang' the A70, said to be one of Scotland's most dangerous roads, there's blind crests and some tricky corners but in parts it has some regularly undulating surface which induces a lot of pitching forwards and backwards.., which,with the new shock is completely gone, and now each hump in the road is dealt with individually.

Dropping down into dips, where you can see sump scratches where cars have gone down into them too quickly, is a delight now, the back end just settles down into it and rises steadily when lifting out, which is very confidence inspiring, because previously I wasn't sure if the shock would bottom out, but now it's nowhere near as bad. You can focus more on the riding and the line than trying to stay on the bike !

I was at a roadside cafe last week and an HGV driver came in, so we got talking about bikes. He's just passed his test six months ago (aged 54, respect)  and he explained he has a Tracer GT. He's been a clubman rally driver for decades but thinks it's got too expensive so took to biking. I asked if his MT-09 had the standard spring, because he weighed 20 stone, and he said that he thought sometimes felt a bit lumpy over bumps, so I recommended a spring change.  Not a bad first bike though, all the same

Edited by fixitsan, 28 September 2021 - 09:45 am.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users