Photo
- - - - -

Any Interest If I Break My Tdm 900 For Parts ?

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,676 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 24 February 2024 - 01:00 pm

My smoke problem is still present. Only when the engine is hot, above half on the gauge, does it start to give out smoke from the right side. None when cold, and none when riding around (that I can notice)

I'm not too upset by the prospect of stripping and rebuilding, but when I add it all up, and considering the exhaust studs and nuts are a cremated iron mess, and I would need at least £100 for a gasket set before beginning, plus any parts and machining..... I just think it might be easier to break it, and start again.

17" front wheel, Samios ECU, Ohlins rear shock (needs top bushing), suspension linkage and swingarm good, forks good, calipers etc...

Maybe someone has a spare engine they could make a whole bike with ?

It still has 2 weeks MOT, I can return it back to standard and ride to a buyer as a whole bike (or meet somewhere in between, if you can't pick it up ?  £600 ?

Or do I buy another engine at £600 - £1000 and keep living with any age related issues ?

Any ideas ?

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#2 Catteeclan

Catteeclan

full o shoite

• 2,446 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 24 February 2024 - 02:33 pm

Sad day but it has covered some good miles.

There's someone on Facebook with a bust frame who might be interested in yours or maybe put a bid on his????

Edited by Catteeclan, 24 February 2024 - 02:33 pm.

2002 TDM900 Yellow

#3 LAURENCEAUX

LAURENCEAUX

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 192 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 24 February 2024 - 08:18 pm

Why not just treat yourself to member ToddyBoy's 2005 TDM 900?. The bike is fab, the price lowish and yours could give up spares in the future or be sold on.

The bike is advertised here at the moment.

https://www.gumtree....2005/1474262198

And here 

Edited by LAURENCEAUX, 24 February 2024 - 08:22 pm.

#4 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,676 posts

Posted 25 February 2024 - 08:59 am

Why not just treat yourself to member ToddyBoy's 2005 TDM 900?. The bike is fab, the price lowish and yours could give up spares in the future or be sold on.

The bike is advertised here at the moment.

https://www.gumtree....2005/1474262198

And here 

That's very nice.

I'm still pondering. I want to do the West coast of Ireland this year, I'ld like to think the smokey bike will manage it and not get any worse, but it's such a remote location I don't want to take any unnecessary risks either.

#5 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• 5,093 posts

Posted 25 February 2024 - 11:00 am

Splash yer cash fixitsan you cant take it with you
2002 900 silver,oil pressure switch with brass 90 degree conversion, RG fork protectors. Wilburs custom made rear Shock with remote hydraulic preload and RG shocktube, Wilburs front springs. Scotoiler with a custom made swing arm delivery unit. Silicone radiator hoses.BMW 1150 handguards with Touratech extensions, Carbon Fibre yoke cover and fender extenda, MRA flip screen, Yamaha Engine bars, SW Motech Centre Stand, Kappa wingrack three box Luggage with E21's as option from the K960 boxes, Zumo 660 satnav on Touratech mount, Led Voltage monitor, Baglux tank cover, Clear LED Rear light, Aux LED brake light, BikeVis bullet LED's under front  nose,Stainless rear axle nut, stainless chain adjusters, stainless wheel spacers front and rear, Probolt Polished Stainless Flanged Hex engine screws, Polished stainless fairing screws, stainless disc bolts. Titanium brake pins front, Probolt Titanium Flanged Hex Front Caliper Bolts & Rear caliper slide pins Adventure Spec Tool tube under rear rack, left and right sides with custom alloy mounts.<p>Top Sellerie double gel pad seat. Carbon Fibre inner dash and side infill panels. Anodised black alloy swingarm pivot bolt covers and footpegs, Nano II Gear indicator.

#6 chrisr

chrisr

has been here 4ever

• 1,748 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 25 February 2024 - 11:49 am

What he said!

The Blue One : 2004 model owned 2010-2018 much loved, much missed and now living with a man in Scotland
The Black One : 2010 Model Registered 2013 owned 2018 - present.Beowulf Cans. Renthal 755s Grip Puppies,15w fork oil,DL650 handguards,givi engine bars,led spotlights,gipro gear indicator,shortened dogbones,LeeHenty CSM kit and stainless bits,Topsellerie seat,MRA Xcreen,grip puppies.PC III (dynoed). K&N airfilter,Fenda extenda.

#7 trevini

trevini

has been here 4ever

• 1,781 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 25 February 2024 - 12:12 pm

I’m inclined to agree with Lee and Chris.  Good TDMs are only going to be one more rare as time goes by, so grab it while it’s there. We don’t need to preach to you how good they are. I think I’d be looking for a replacement and keeping the good spares from your current bike.

Edited by trevini, 25 February 2024 - 12:13 pm.

2004 Galaxy Blue. Owned since 486 miles.Renthal 755 bars, Bagster tank cover, Oxford heated grips, DL650 hand guards, Double Bubble screen, Scorpion Rad guard, Gel pad insert, HLD undertray, Angry Badger tailtidy,  Michelin Road 5s, Givi E21s, E46 topbox, Ohlins shock and YSS cartridge emulators   Currently not fitted - PC3, Remus Revolutions.

LCErj.jpg

Putting up with the "niner" jokes since 2005
Check out http://www.hotcoldground.co.uk we're really rather good!
Like food? I feed people -  SmokinGrillGuy <p>

#8 Pedro

Pedro

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 266 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 25 February 2024 - 02:49 pm

MIght get lucky and just be valve seals, valves lapped and shimming. Still a PITA but not as drastic as a full rebuild. It'd be a shame to break as you always end up with bits left over that no one wanted or needed.

Edited by Pedro, 25 February 2024 - 02:51 pm.

#9 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• 5,093 posts

Posted 25 February 2024 - 03:25 pm

Just read this be advert for Toddyboys bike, never heard of a 370 degree engine 😁

Buy the bike and change over all your goodies

Edited by leehenty, 25 February 2024 - 03:26 pm.

2002 900 silver,oil pressure switch with brass 90 degree conversion, RG fork protectors. Wilburs custom made rear Shock with remote hydraulic preload and RG shocktube, Wilburs front springs. Scotoiler with a custom made swing arm delivery unit. Silicone radiator hoses.BMW 1150 handguards with Touratech extensions, Carbon Fibre yoke cover and fender extenda, MRA flip screen, Yamaha Engine bars, SW Motech Centre Stand, Kappa wingrack three box Luggage with E21's as option from the K960 boxes, Zumo 660 satnav on Touratech mount, Led Voltage monitor, Baglux tank cover, Clear LED Rear light, Aux LED brake light, BikeVis bullet LED's under front  nose,Stainless rear axle nut, stainless chain adjusters, stainless wheel spacers front and rear, Probolt Polished Stainless Flanged Hex engine screws, Polished stainless fairing screws, stainless disc bolts. Titanium brake pins front, Probolt Titanium Flanged Hex Front Caliper Bolts & Rear caliper slide pins Adventure Spec Tool tube under rear rack, left and right sides with custom alloy mounts.<p>Top Sellerie double gel pad seat. Carbon Fibre inner dash and side infill panels. Anodised black alloy swingarm pivot bolt covers and footpegs, Nano II Gear indicator.

#10 trevini

trevini

has been here 4ever

• 1,781 posts

Posted 25 February 2024 - 04:11 pm

Just read this be advert for Toddyboys bike, never heard of a 370 degree engine

Buy the bike and change over all your goodies

its 10 better than a big single Lee.  :rotflmmfao:

2004 Galaxy Blue. Owned since 486 miles.Renthal 755 bars, Bagster tank cover, Oxford heated grips, DL650 hand guards, Double Bubble screen, Scorpion Rad guard, Gel pad insert, HLD undertray, Angry Badger tailtidy,  Michelin Road 5s, Givi E21s, E46 topbox, Ohlins shock and YSS cartridge emulators   Currently not fitted - PC3, Remus Revolutions.

LCErj.jpg

#11 LAURENCEAUX

LAURENCEAUX

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 192 posts

Posted 25 February 2024 - 04:52 pm

What have I started? Peer pressure is so hard to resist, especially when all true. Shall we start a whip-around?

Smokey bikes could be ring wear or broken ring, bore wear, gasket(s) - all manner of stuff so buy yourself peace of mind. 

Go on you know you want to.

P..S. I have no vested interest in this sale, nor relation to ToddyBoy.

Edited by LAURENCEAUX, 25 February 2024 - 04:52 pm.

#12 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,676 posts

Posted 26 February 2024 - 09:32 am

What have I started? Peer pressure is so hard to resist, especially when all true. Shall we start a whip-around?

Yes please !

My problem is I have to think twice before spending because I've got next to nothing of a pension pot, and only ten years left to do something wise about it !

#13 LAURENCEAUX

LAURENCEAUX

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 192 posts

Posted 26 February 2024 - 09:57 am

Call your purchase a pension purchase as it will cut your motoring costs in retirement and may actually rise in value as it becomes more rare. Good luck with the funds.

#14 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,676 posts

Posted 26 February 2024 - 10:01 am

Call your purchase a pension purchase as it will cut your motoring costs in retirement and may actually rise in value as it becomes more rare. Good luck with the funds.

Damn you peer pressure !

#15 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• 5,093 posts

Posted 26 February 2024 - 04:35 pm

Look at it this way, in 10 years anything can happen, but buying the bike will give you peace of mind and lots of fun.
There are 7 days in the week, someday is not one of them

Edited by leehenty, 26 February 2024 - 04:37 pm.

#16 LAURENCEAUX

LAURENCEAUX

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 192 posts

Posted 26 February 2024 - 09:40 pm

Look at it this way, in 10 years anything can happen, but buying the bike will give you peace of mind and lots of fun.

You are a very naughty boy leehenty ....

#17 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,676 posts

Posted 27 February 2024 - 10:48 am

Old Chinese proverb say. ..... Actually chief, I might have an engine lined up for collection next week.... Just need to think a bit more before committing

#18 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,676 posts

Posted 29 February 2024 - 10:23 am

Problem solved, I think

This popped up on Facebook lastnight, I just went to look and left a deposit, collecting Saturday.

Nice guy over in Glasgow has put it up for sale, he was a member here in the past, maybe someone recognises the distinctive screen ?

It has HID headlight upgrade, airbox mod, Power Commander and Fuel exhausts. Comfort seat. 48k miles

53559346983_4ed99f471a_k.jpgNew tdm by Chris Barron, on Flickr

I'll swap over all the bits I want and still have my old TDM for sale, with a week or so of MOT left, obviously selling for pennies, maybe to someone who has a bike with a broken frame ?

I'm also thinking I can get 3 back to back dyno runs done of standard ECU / Standard + PC / Samios remap ECU

This leaves me with Scorpion exhausts and link pipes to rehome ? One can has a dent, but depending which side you fit it on, it can be hidden. No standard db killers, currently using small cone db killers. They are loud enough

Edited by fixitsan, 29 February 2024 - 10:52 am.

#19 trevini

trevini

has been here 4ever

• 1,781 posts

Posted 29 February 2024 - 10:36 am

Nice one Chris. Glad its working out well for you. I do remember the screen, but no idea who it was now!

LCErj.jpg

#20 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,676 posts

Posted 29 February 2024 - 10:57 am

Nice one Chris. Glad its working out well for you. I do remember the screen, but no idea who it was now!

Funny how things work out.

I was lining up a test ride on an MT-07 with a local dealer too, because once they're upgraded with real suspension and a remap they can be fabulous.

But then, better the devil you know !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users