• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 IainK

IainK

enuff posts to fill a 50cc

• 60 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 22 July 2014 - 08:58 pm

I have a 2002 TDM 900, I have noticed a draught blowing past my right eye inside my helmet (AGV S4 SV), I was convinced that it was the visor letting in the wind and had started looking for a new helmet, a new visor was going to be over &40!

The 2 blokes I go out riding with say it's the screen on the TDM. It has a standard screen and I'm 5'7.

Any ideas, suggestions please

Iain

#2 RogerD

RogerD

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 241 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 22 July 2014 - 09:16 pm

I am 6ft 6 and am really not having any issues caused by the screen, however It is an MRA (on the bike when purchased). 

I also have a Shark Vision R with a "Sealed "visor and have absolutely no issues such as you describe. 

SO...different screen, height and helmet...but dont see the problem you are suffering.

Maybe others will comment closer to the set up  you have.

I do know from previous bike set ups that ALL options (Helmet, screen, height and also neck seal)  make a difference.

Edited by RogerD, 22 July 2014 - 09:17 pm.

Roger

2004 Silver TDM 900, Scorpion cans, MRA screen, Heated Grips, Piramid Fender Extenda. Mitchelin PR3's, Oxford Soft luggage.  Now living with Sidestand

2015 BMW R1200GS , in Frost Blue, Adventure screen, cruise control, quickshifter, heated grips, ESA , BM panniers but Givi topbox.                                                          

#3 IainK

IainK

• 60 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 09:25 pm

I rode my mates speed triple tonight and he rode the TDM, he said his eyes were streaming when riding it.

Decisions decisions!

Cheers

#4 Luke

Luke

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 271 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 22 July 2014 - 10:16 pm

The tears were only because he was overjoyed and then realised he had to give you the TDM back!
Fuel Cans, PCIII USB, Oxford Heated Grips, K&N Air Filter, Air Box Mod, Michelin Pilot Road 3, MRA Vario Screen, Scotoiler HRC, Givi Wingrack, Givi E52 Maxia Top Box, Givi E41 Panniers, Hagon Progressive Forks, Centre Stand, Bagster Tank Cover + Bags

#5 TDMTAM

TDMTAM

Carpe Citizen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,205 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 22 July 2014 - 11:18 pm

I have a 2002 TDM 900, I have noticed a draught blowing past my right eye inside my helmet (AGV S4 SV), I was convinced that it was the visor letting in the wind and had started looking for a new helmet, a new visor was going to be over &40!

The 2 blokes I go out riding with say it's the screen on the TDM. It has a standard screen and I'm 5'7.

Any ideas, suggestions please

Iain

where abouts are you ? May be you could get a loan or try of a different screen.
Tam
2008 TDM 900 in BLACK, MRA Vario, DL handguards & more to come
1994 TDM 850 mkI Silver, with Blueflame end can, Gone to a new owner & I kinda miss her!

th_09062006104.jpg th_02012009095.jpg

Only a Biker knows why a Dog sticks it head out the car window

#6 IainK

IainK

• 60 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 08:07 am

Tam, I'm down in Hawick in the borders, I'm the only one with a TDM down here (I think) so trying out a screen is out.

Luke, Think my mate likes the TDM (not enough grunt for him) but not enough to cause tears :)

Iain

#7 TDMTAM

TDMTAM

Carpe Citizen

• 4,205 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 08:41 am

I'm up in Glasgow if your in the area I can let you have a shot of a MRA double bubble, MRA with winglet or yamaha touring with the same winglet.
Tam

Edited by TDMTAM, 23 July 2014 - 09:59 am.

2008 TDM 900 in BLACK, MRA Vario, DL handguards & more to come
1994 TDM 850 mkI Silver, with Blueflame end can, Gone to a new owner & I kinda miss her!

th_09062006104.jpg th_02012009095.jpg

Only a Biker knows why a Dog sticks it head out the car window

#8 Luke

Luke

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 09:28 am

I have similar issues with my AGV Ti-Tech but not my System 6. MRA Vario.
Fuel Cans, PCIII USB, Oxford Heated Grips, K&N Air Filter, Air Box Mod, Michelin Pilot Road 3, MRA Vario Screen, Scotoiler HRC, Givi Wingrack, Givi E52 Maxia Top Box, Givi E41 Panniers, Hagon Progressive Forks, Centre Stand, Bagster Tank Cover + Bags

#9 IainK

IainK

• 60 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 10:19 pm

Thanks guys, think I will look out for a touring or an mra screen on a certain auction site, and maybe get a new helmet anyway :)

Cheers

Iain

#10 alkam49

alkam49

sticking around

• 34 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 02:33 am

Hi Iain,

I have an '02 TDM 900 in Sydney, Australia - I'm also 5'7 and had somewhat the same issues with windage.  I've tried Shoei and had better results lately with Shark Speed 'R' helmets,  but-  the problem is not the helmet.  In fact the problem lies with air blasting up from your knee area and hitting your helmet from underneath.

All the guys who've replied talk about helmets / windshields etc.  but the wind is coming upwards into your helmet.  Try taking a scarf as I did and rap around your neck and cut the windage up under your chin and hopefully you'll see.  Shark Speed 'R' has an integrated chin shield which for me,  was the ducks guts etc...  i found the wind was coming from underneath my h'bars - under the wind guards and hitting my knees and the lower front of my jacket.    Harleys are evidently prone to this sort of problem and make 'knee guards' available for touring.

Cheers /  AM

#11 IainK

IainK

• 60 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 05:24 am

Alkam, thanks for the advice. I am starting to wonder if the problem started after I stopped wearing my 'Buff' round my neck (in the spring I was wearing a fleece neck tube as well) ...........interesting

#12 Borderraider

Borderraider

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 180 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 08:13 pm

Iain, I'm midway between Newcastle-Durham just off A68.
If you're ever down this way I have a higher screen with a slight flip lying in the shed if you want to try it.

Edited by Borderraider, 24 July 2014 - 08:14 pm.

2007 BMW R1200GS Adventure
2007 Kawasaki Versys 650 
2009 Yamaha TDM 900
2013 Kawasaki Versys 650

#13 IainK

IainK

• 60 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 10:28 pm

Thanks for the offer Borderraider, may well do that.

Cheers

#14 IainK

IainK

• 60 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 12:39 pm

I bought an MRA Touring screen from eBay, it's made quite a bit of difference, I don't have a jet of air past my eye any more, just a draught.mHave also tried the fleece neck tube, next step is to change the chin wind protector.

Iain

#15 Bjørge

Bjørge

has been here 4ever

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 1,791 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 08 August 2014 - 01:01 pm

There has been numerous discussions on screens here over the years, well, really anywhere bikes are discussed. What seems quite obvious to me is that all screens has areas behind it where it is quiet, where it's buffeting and where it's plain windy.

Wouldn't it be interesting to analyze these "properties" in a diagram or similar ? I mean, if you develop a screen suitable for one helmet position it clearly won't be ideal for another rider having helmet 20cm higher and/or 20cm closer to the screen ?

It's like wheen testing running shoes or biker boots - giving them score for "nosefitting" as if this were some general footwear property. 

Bjørge

#16 IainK

IainK

• 60 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 01:12 pm

You are right Bjørge, everyone's experience of a certain helmet or screen will be different and what works for me may not work for others.

Thanks for all your replies

Iain

#17 tomwal

tomwal

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 04:45 pm

After 2 different screens I now have an adjustable (Madstad) screen. It is probably the best I have tried so far but it is not perfect and I still have to wear earplugs. I am beginning to think there is no perfect solution to wind noise and buffeting - it is juat the nature of TDM type motorcycles. I have a scooter with a full screen and it is quiet but is hellish in the wet especially at night - glaring headlights through a wet screen make for a rather perilous ride. I wonder what a Goldwing or tourer with a big screen would be like in city traffic on a wet night.

An American company makes a very useful windscreen wiper but it is rather expensive.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users