• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 cookiebare

cookiebare

sticking around

• 24 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 24 July 2014 - 02:56 am

Morning All. I have had my 3vd up on blocks for a few weeks while I painted the wheels, and when I took it off and leaned it over, a small amount of coolant leaked out. Is this anything I should be concerned about? Does anyone know what this hole in the head is for? I don't need another one 😲😲😲
Cheers

Attached Files

#2 Catteeclan

Catteeclan

full o shoite

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,440 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 24 July 2014 - 06:04 am

Think that's a relief hole for fluid to escape the water tube area that fits in the top of the head. Could be the O ring on said tube or most likely the thermostat housing.

2002 TDM900 Yellow

#3 butcher650

butcher650

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 24 July 2014 - 07:27 am

I have a small hole on my 3vd which weeps a little oily substance from time to time. Been told it's normal! Not sure about coolant though?? 

#4 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,214 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 24 July 2014 - 08:17 am

Think that's a relief hole for fluid to escape the water tube area that fits in the top of the head. Could be the O ring on said tube or most likely the thermostat housing.

It also allows water to flow away from the recessed spark plugs.  I agrozzle, could be a leaking thermo housing.  The leak only started happening on my mk1 when the engine was up to temp, it then leaked from the housing onto the rocker cover and down the plug hole.  The thermo housing plastic cover has a tendency to warp, silicone sealant usually cures the problem. :)

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#5 TYREDNGRUMPEE

TYREDNGRUMPEE

has been here 4ever

• 1,627 posts
  • TDM model: 1998

Posted 24 July 2014 - 01:53 pm

I've had a similar amount of coolant mysteriously appear on the garage floor with my Mk2 that had been stood for 6 weeks. It had been well behaved otherwise.

Found a little more in the belly pan too.

Took it out for a ride in defiance. NO ISSUES, thousands of miles later.

It may be that a leak is possible if the motor is left standing  :dunno:

My advice; is go for a couple of ickle rides first, look for summat obvious before any dismantling. Park it in a place where you'll see any more pooling.

Have a good sniff.

You might just fix this by taking it for a ride.

#6 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,117 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 24 July 2014 - 02:02 pm

http://www.carpe-tdm...lug#entry203637

"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#7 cookiebare

cookiebare

sticking around

• 24 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 25 July 2014 - 06:47 am

Thanks All. Does not sound like anything too serious. Will be a couple of months yet before its ready to ride. Still a bit to do and a month or so, in a sling, coming up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users