16 replies to this topic

#1 jht

jht

has been here 4ever

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,769 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 10 October 2007 - 02:33 pm

got any recommendations as to (cheapish) external hard drives?

Want to archive photos, music & some ezines to free up hard drive on PC ( which is only 80GB)

Cant afford much, consered more with longevity than capacity (tho I guess I should burn 'em all to CD)

Was looking at something like this

http://www.pcworld.c...p;category_oid=

Done: Homo sap navigation/ twisty thing on bars to make it go vroom/ grabby thing to make it stop (in front of twisty thing)/ 'leccy things front and rear to make it glow at night/ Sucky + drippy oiler thing to keep chains moist (!!) / Laser Pro Stock Race pipes / bleeding ear drums (see previous mod)
To do: Educate homo sap nav system to operate twisty + grabby things/ get ear plugs

All Trashed Now... Pants... its a Cat B Mwahahaha it lives again!!

Remember every driver is a deaf myoptic twat who is out to kill you, ALWAYS assume they are going to do THE most f*cking DUMBASS, STUPID manouver possible, at the worst possible moment; get past, and get past quick

#2 Pict

Pict

Keep on keepin' on

• 6,257 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 10 October 2007 - 03:04 pm

Check out also Maplin and Morgan for bargains. Western Digital, Maxtor etc. are OK. My techy brother suggests external HD's should also be distrusted, so batches his stuff on to DVD's for safety.

Dinotrike.jpg "It's a TDM, Jim, but not as we know it"

www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAHmEWim3to

Diamond black TDM 900A TRIKE, 2006 ABS model converted by Trike Design (Caerphilly, South Wales) prior to first registration in March 2007.

#3 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 10 October 2007 - 03:40 pm

Ebuyer were a good price for me hard drive. Put up a thread bout hard drives a while back and Western Digital seemed to be well regarded by Carpedians.
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#4 Guest_Favs_*

Guest_Favs_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 October 2007 - 04:19 pm

QUOTE(dapleb @ Wed 10th Oct 2007, 04:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ebuyer were a good price for me hard drive. Put up a thread bout hard drives a while back and Western Digital seemed to be well regarded by Carpedians.

I'm with Pict's brother on this subject. As a former welder and now Head of IT & Computing for the past 9 years, I have a strong distrust of most storage devices having had them cease to function for any and no reason, including USB mass storage devices. DVDs are at least safe from virus attacks. IMHO I recommend two copies of each DVD-one to use and one as backup. Mind you I used to be quite paranoid about losing irreplacable files - now I'm much worse. wink.gif

#5 bcristian

bcristian

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 144 posts
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 10 October 2007 - 04:29 pm

Being in the IT field myself, I have to strongly agree with Favs. HDDs and flash drives can and will fail for random reasons, like a power surge, or forgeting it on a loudspeaker.

#6 jht

jht

has been here 4ever

• 1,769 posts

Posted 10 October 2007 - 04:47 pm

Ok ta fer replies folks

starting to sound like I'm better of getting DVD writer (only got reader on pc, it is 'old' pc by modern standards!) and burning to discs.....

so any recommendations on external DVD writers then rolleyes.gif tongue.gif

(External unit prob easier than faffing around with riping a 5yr old pc apart and replacing its innards I'm guessing)
Done: Homo sap navigation/ twisty thing on bars to make it go vroom/ grabby thing to make it stop (in front of twisty thing)/ 'leccy things front and rear to make it glow at night/ Sucky + drippy oiler thing to keep chains moist (!!) / Laser Pro Stock Race pipes / bleeding ear drums (see previous mod)
To do: Educate homo sap nav system to operate twisty + grabby things/ get ear plugs

Remember every driver is a deaf myoptic twat who is out to kill you, ALWAYS assume they are going to do THE most f*cking DUMBASS, STUPID manouver possible, at the worst possible moment; get past, and get past quick

#7 Guinness

Guinness

has been here 4ever

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 1,657 posts
  • TDM model: 2005

Posted 10 October 2007 - 05:21 pm

dont buy the big maxtors !!! crap ... or so im told by many
apparently western digital is the way to go. but not the MyBook... app not so good either

handiest is getting an external USB HDbracket where you can slide in any harddisk.
I'm an insomniac agnostic dyslexic. I lay awake at night and wonder if there really is a dog.

yamaha : xv535/92-92 | red TDM850/92-05 | silver TDM900A/05-

get them here

#8 duibhce Kaelann

duibhce Kaelann

has been here 4ever

• 1,147 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 10 October 2007 - 05:55 pm

QUOTE(Guinness @ Wed 10th Oct 2007, 07:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
dont buy the big maxtors !!! crap ... or so im told by many
apparently western digital is the way to go. but not the MyBook... app not so good either

handiest is getting an external USB HDbracket where you can slide in any harddisk.

wifgeni.gif good.gif

Yamaha XJ600S Diversion '94
Yamaha XJ900S Diversion '97
Suzuki SV650S '01
Yamaha TDM900 '04

Yamaha XT660Z Ténéré '08 + Yamaha TRX850 '97

I'll let go of my throttle when they pry it from my cold, dead hands...

#9 ChrisG

ChrisG

Resident vulture

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 8,275 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 10 October 2007 - 06:36 pm

DVD's do degrade with age too.

If you go for an external DVD writer you're looking at £30-50 for the drive and media is pretty cheap so you can easily make multiple copies. Decent internal drives are about half the price. I'd reccomend Phillips as my DVR110 has bee very reliable and lasted a lot longer than my previous Liteon drive.

I personally keep 2 hard drives in the PC and use the shareware version of Syncback to backup my data to the second hard drive. Yes I know I could loose both drives but that would probably mean my house had burned down in which case I'd have other things to wory about. I used to occasionally copy all my photos (only data I'd really miss if I lost my system) to my iPod but unfortunatly my music and photos have now exceeded 40GB so I now make the occasional DVD copy.

QUOTE(Guinness @ Wed 10th Oct 2007, 06:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I've got internal ones which are great, I can easily swap either of my hard drives. Great for system rebuilds.

Edited by ChrisG, 10 October 2007 - 06:38 pm.

1992 Mk1, 76k miles, Hagon springs, MTC exhaust, 4½ gears Gone now :(
2009 900 abs, 42k miles, Yamaha heated grips, double bubble screen, R&G crash bungs, scottoiler, Autocom, 1500 lumen LED spotlights.

post-1-1152402501.jpgpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#10 jht

jht

has been here 4ever

• 1,769 posts

Posted 10 October 2007 - 07:02 pm

QUOTE(ChrisG @ Wed 10th Oct 2007, 07:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If you go for an external DVD writer you're looking at £30-50 for the drive and media is pretty cheap so you can easily make multiple copies. Decent internal drives are about half the price. I'd reccomend Phillips as my DVR110 has bee very reliable and lasted a lot longer than my previous Liteon drive.

I personally keep 2 hard drives in the PC and use the shareware version of Syncback to backup my data to the second hard drive. Yes I know I could loose both drives but that would probably mean my house had burned down in which case I'd have other things to wory about. I used to occasionally copy all my photos (only data I'd really miss if I lost my system) to my iPod but unfortunatly my music and photos have now exceeded 40GB so I now make the occasional DVD copy. My mate did that in the early days of MP3 etc, all his music on hard drive, sold whole CD collection, was great until MP£ broke & hard drive was corrupted. Lost the lotI've got internal ones which are great, I can easily swap either of my hard drives. Great for system rebuilds. Waaayy to much effort & time & arsing around fer me

#11 Landy

Landy

I should post less and ride more

• 1,387 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 10 October 2007 - 08:14 pm

If you still want to go the external hard drive route there are loads on Flea bay but I also support the additional DVD back up option. If you get a caddy you can swap between a hard drive and a DVD re-writer.
TS50ER, Suzuki GT125, Cagiva 125, Suzuki GT250 20 year gap. Honda CBF600. Discovered the joy of TDM, 1974 GT250 has joined the stable
Vario touring screen, Stainless Steel Rad Guard, Fender Extender (it came off), Givi V46 Topbox (inc brake light), SW-Motech Engine Bars, Wingrack, LED Tail Light
Still in the shed:- BMW Hand Guards, Heated Grips, Aux Lamps.

#12 jht

jht

has been here 4ever

• 1,769 posts

Posted 10 October 2007 - 08:33 pm

QUOTE(Landy @ Wed 10th Oct 2007, 08:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If you still want to go the external hard drive route there are loads on Flea bay but I also support the additional DVD back up option. If you get a caddy Is that one of those golf manservants that carry your clubs?? rotflmmfao.gif you can swap between a hard drive and a DVD re-writer.

threw caddy into pcworld (which to you tech lot is probably as bad as you lot getting bike stuff in Hellfords is to me!!) and got this...

#13 Guest_Favs_*

Guest_Favs_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 October 2007 - 07:25 am

QUOTE(jht @ Wed 10th Oct 2007, 09:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
threw caddy into pcworld (which to you tech lot is probably as bad as you lot getting bike stuff in Hellfords is to me!!) and got this...

Yup thats PCW for you, their business branch PCWB is not a lot different.

#14 Guest_Naboki_*

Guest_Naboki_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 October 2007 - 07:27 am

or you can try fer an "external rack". try to find one that fits 5.25" units (like dvd drives and stuff) - it'll certainly fit a hard drive. If you're getting one, look fer a SATA version. They now make optical drives on SATA, and you'll be able to attach a new, fast HDD to it, too.

Hope this helps

Marius

#15 bcristian

bcristian

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 144 posts
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 11 October 2007 - 07:31 am

QUOTE(ChrisG @ Wed 10th Oct 2007, 09:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, yes, but in the case of good ones and properly stored (that's what the 2nd set is for), are you going to live that long? smile.gif

QUOTE(ChrisG @ Wed 10th Oct 2007, 09:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I personally keep 2 hard drives in the PC and use the shareware version of Syncback to backup my data to the second hard drive. Yes I know I could loose both drives but that would probably mean my house had burned down in which case I'd have other things to wory about.

Trust me, it doesn't take that. Unfortunately, been there, seen it happening. All it takes is a little insidious failure of the IDE controller, causing small random corruption in the data stream. By the time the problem became apparent, I had redundant copies of junk.
To be honest though, I only saw this happening once in 10 years, because usually the IDE controller died faster, at the most ruining only one HDD or the data on it.

#16 Guest_erdferkel_*

Guest_erdferkel_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 October 2007 - 12:19 pm

QUOTE(bcristian @ Thu 11th Oct 2007, 09:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well, yes, but in the case of good ones and properly stored (that's what the 2nd set is for), are you going to live that long? smile.gif

ah yes, i plan to be immortal. so far - so good. laugh.gif

time to get the coat then?

glückauf
ralf

pig, running from the butcher

#17 Guest_Favs_*

Guest_Favs_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 October 2007 - 02:55 pm

QUOTE(bcristian @ Thu 11th Oct 2007, 08:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Trust me, it doesn't take that. Unfortunately, been there, seen it happening. All it takes is a little insidious failure of the IDE controller, causing small random corruption in the data stream. By the time the problem became apparent, I had redundant copies of junk.
To be honest though, I only saw this happening once in 10 years, because usually the IDE controller died faster, at the most ruining only one HDD or the data on it.

How about persistant little b'strds who try format mbr after they have tried FBI & Pentagon for a laugh (hmm, the FBI & Pentagon did take one of them on a free visit to the states tho)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users