#22 Doggy

Doggy

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 379 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 11 September 2021 - 03:13 pm

Hi Guys

Whilst i wait to get paid and buy a thunderbox, am i risking anything by wiring the satnav direct to the battery?

Its a tomtom rider 400 and draws 1.2amp, so cant go off the sidelight for a switched live, have run the wiring through to under the seat and just want to check it would be ok to wire direct.

When not in use, the bike is plugged into an optimiser and i wont leave the sat nav in the cradle.

Advice please.

Cheers

Doggy

ps Had a great ride out on her this morning, weather a bit grey and drizzled a couple of times, really enjoyed it.

Edited by Doggy, 11 September 2021 - 03:14 pm.

#23 chrisr

chrisr

has been here 4ever

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,745 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 11 September 2021 - 03:41 pm

I don’t see why not, but I’m not an electrician, would use an in line fuse though

The Blue One : 2004 model owned 2010-2018 much loved, much missed and now living with a man in Scotland
The Black One : 2010 Model Registered 2013 owned 2018 - present.Beowulf Cans. Renthal 755s Grip Puppies,15w fork oil,DL650 handguards,givi engine bars,led spotlights,gipro gear indicator,shortened dogbones,LeeHenty CSM kit and stainless bits,Topsellerie seat,MRA Xcreen,grip puppies.PC III (dynoed). K&N airfilter,Fenda extenda.

#24 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts

Posted 11 September 2021 - 03:51 pm

The point to having a switched supply is to give protection against accidental battery flattening  in the case of absent mindedness.

I've run a bike with heated grips wired directly to the battery, I once forgot, 2 weeks after getting the bike, and never forgot after that

Of course, there was always the risk that a passer by could try playing with switches and if they turned on the grips it would have flattened the battery.

There's also a safety aspect to it, but you would be unlucky if that affected you.

Personal risk assessment required ?

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#25 Doggy

Doggy

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 11 September 2021 - 04:11 pm

Thanks guys, I wouldnt leave the satnav in the holder with the bike parked or unattended so I guess it will be ok. Great advice as usual. Its good to be back in the fold.

#26 Catteeclan

Catteeclan

full o shoite

• 2,433 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 11 September 2021 - 06:42 pm

Had my rider working off the side light on all my bikes without a prob. Go for it.

2002 TDM900 Yellow

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users