• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 curlylegend

curlylegend

Carpe Addict

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPip
  • 305 posts
  • Location:West of France, south of the Loire...the good bit !
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 25 September 2021 - 02:28 pm

OK, so this is a thing that's bugged me for a long time. Ever since the first time it happened. I've managed to drop it once more and both times people have hurried to help me get the machine upright. 

But I keep thinking what would happen if I couped the bike and was completely on my own in the wilderness ?  There is actually a lot of it in France !

People on this forum have kindly sent me to several YouTube videos of people righting machines even bigger than my TDM....and making it look bloody easy. 

So I decided to stop putting it off and lay the bike down on it's side and learn how to pick it up....... but what if I couldn't ?  I am, after all, a feeble old septuagenarian. I couldn't ask Madam, she would just tell me I was an idiot to drop it in the first place.  And we live right out in the sticks here, sometimes not seeing anyone for days.

If the worst came to the worst I would have to have some means of getting the machine to at least an angle of 45 degrees. An evening of scouring YouTube gave me some interesting ideas and I devised this sort of arrangement.....many thanks to the guys who inspired me.

[attachment=14530:Bike Lift.JPG]

So I duly lined the garage floor with padding to protect my TDM and reduce the chances of damage if it actually came crashing down while I was lowering it.  I was pretty much shitting bricks until I got the bike to about 45 degrees and then lowered it to the floor in a surprisingly controlled fashion.

Alright, so here goes.  I remembered all the lessons, lock the front brake, get two sound grips, have your back to the bike and use your leg muscles, not your arms or back.

[attachment=14531:IMG_0223.JPG]

I wish I'd coaxed Madam into filming the next few seconds, it was so much easier than I was dreading. Using the technique above it was an absolute scoop to get the bike upright, no need to put the lifting mechanism into use at all !  Was that a total waste of time and money ?  Not really, it meant that if I couldn't at least lift it part of the way I would have the means to get the lift started... a good sound plan B.

[attachment=14532:IMG_0225.JPG]

So there you are, hope this takes some of the anxiety away about couping your TDM.  If I can do it,even delicate maidens could !

Again many thanks to all the people on this forum who helped me over a bit of a panic point.  All I need to do now is to practice doing it with perhaps a broken collar bone or even a leg ?

#2 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,104 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 25 September 2021 - 03:06 pm

I can't tell from pic1 what your lifting arrangement is exactly if it had been needed?

If it's portable then I guess it might still be useful if ewe dropped the boike on a slope needing more than 90degs of righting.

Anyways what a wonderful experiment.
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#3 waynedear

waynedear

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 106 posts
  • TDM model: 1998

Posted 25 September 2021 - 08:07 pm

Dropped mine a couple of weeks ago, I’m 60, luckily I spend my working week hauling pallets of stuff round manually, still bloody heavy.

#4 Robodene

Robodene

Robodene

• 1,508 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 25 September 2021 - 08:15 pm

And you remembered to put the sidestand down.  Successful experiment. This is the reason I sold my TDM - just too tall for my ancient skeleton. 

1940s Ariel 350 (ex-military) Khaki > Black & White '56' Kymco Venox 250 Metallic Grey '56' TDM 900/A (ABS) Silver[b] '56' Yamaha MT-03 White <p>[b] '14' Yamaha MT-07 Matt Grey[b] '17' Honda Rebel 500 

#5 Pedro

Pedro

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 266 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 25 September 2021 - 08:21 pm

I dropped a CBX-6 many moons ago. Left the steering lock on while pulling away, trying to look cool for some girls looking. They had to help me lift it up! I felt like a dick. A small one. Good on you to try it on a controlled environment. I hope I never have to find out.

#6 curlylegend

curlylegend

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 25 September 2021 - 08:55 pm

I can't tell from pic1 what your lifting arrangement is exactly if it had been needed?

If it's portable then I guess it might still be useful if ewe dropped the boike on a slope needing more than 90degs of righting.

Anyways what a wonderful experiment.

I actually cribbed this off a portable device being promoted on YouTube.  Basically, it's a vertical post ( in sections in the YouTube one...)  and a robust tie-down strap securely attached to the bottom of it.  The rest of the strap with the hook goes over a roller at the top of the post, underneath the fallen bike and attached to the upper side of the frame. You work the ratchet to shorten the strap and voila, the bike rises !

Just have a hunt through YouTube and you'll find several examples..... one with a guy operating it while his leg's trapped under the bike !

Dropped mine a couple of weeks ago, I’m 60, luckily I spend my working week hauling pallets of stuff round manually, still bloody heavy.

Indeed !

#7 curlylegend

curlylegend

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 25 September 2021 - 09:02 pm

I dropped a CBX-6 many moons ago. Left the steering lock on while pulling away, trying to look cool for some girls looking. They had to help me lift it up! I felt like a dick. A small one. Good on you to try it on a controlled environment. I hope I never have to find out.

Might be an idea to try it ?   Better to find out in at home and you could always use it to develop a technique to use in an emergency. Let's face it, if I can do it I'm sure just about anyone can.

Works wonders for your self confidence.  I've been going about kicking sand in speccy guys faces all day and I'm even contemplating answering Madame back !

And you remembered to put the sidestand down.  Successful experiment. This is the reason I sold my TDM - just too tall for my ancient skeleton. 

That's a shame.   What did you replace it with ?   That new Enfield Bullet seems to be just the thing with a low saddle height.

#8 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 26 September 2021 - 11:23 am

I've had a good few occasions where i needed to pick up my old 9r and Mk1 both and was'nt  really a problem, however age and i think since having had covid it's become more difficult, still can manage it but only just.

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#9 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• 5,080 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 26 September 2021 - 01:43 pm

Eastbound NL make a similar device called Moto Winch

https://eastbound.sh...motowinch-info/

Edited by leehenty, 26 September 2021 - 01:51 pm.

2002 900 silver,oil pressure switch with brass 90 degree conversion, RG fork protectors. Wilburs custom made rear Shock with remote hydraulic preload and RG shocktube, Wilburs front springs. Scotoiler with a custom made swing arm delivery unit. Silicone radiator hoses.BMW 1150 handguards with Touratech extensions, Carbon Fibre yoke cover and fender extenda, MRA flip screen, Yamaha Engine bars, SW Motech Centre Stand, Kappa wingrack three box Luggage with E21's as option from the K960 boxes, Zumo 660 satnav on Touratech mount, Led Voltage monitor, Baglux tank cover, Clear LED Rear light, Aux LED brake light, BikeVis bullet LED's under front  nose,Stainless rear axle nut, stainless chain adjusters, stainless wheel spacers front and rear, Probolt Polished Stainless Flanged Hex engine screws, Polished stainless fairing screws, stainless disc bolts. Titanium brake pins front, Probolt Titanium Flanged Hex Front Caliper Bolts & Rear caliper slide pins Adventure Spec Tool tube under rear rack, left and right sides with custom alloy mounts.<p>Top Sellerie double gel pad seat. Carbon Fibre inner dash and side infill panels. Anodised black alloy swingarm pivot bolt covers and footpegs, Nano II Gear indicator.

#10 Robodene

Robodene

Robodene

• 1,508 posts

Posted 27 September 2021 - 10:46 am

Might be an idea to try it ?   Better to find out in at home and you could always use it to develop a technique to use in an emergency. Let's face it, if I can do it I'm sure just about anyone can.

Works wonders for your self confidence.  I've been going about kicking sand in speccy guys faces all day and I'm even contemplating answering Madame back !

That's a shame.   What did you replace it with ?   That new Enfield Bullet seems to be just the thing with a low saddle height.

I bought an original MT-03 but we never bonded. Very happy with its replacement- MT-07. 

1940s Ariel 350 (ex-military) Khaki > Black & White '56' Kymco Venox 250 Metallic Grey '56' TDM 900/A (ABS) Silver[b] '56' Yamaha MT-03 White <p>[b] '14' Yamaha MT-07 Matt Grey[b] '17' Honda Rebel 500 

#11 LewisBlackburn

LewisBlackburn

has been here 4ever

• 1,748 posts

Posted 27 September 2021 - 11:06 am

The Back to the bike trick and lifting with legs is vital. 

Lucky I've never had to use it myself, but I did up a mountain pass in Italy once. 

I was in the car and came head to head with a skinny German guy on a fully loaded 1250GS. 

We both anchored on and he lost his footing on the verge, Over he went. 

I got out to make sure he was ok, but he couldn't lift the bike at all, My German was utterly minimal and he didn't seem to understand my English, unbelievable really because I was speaking really slowly and loud.  :dunno:

anyway, I eventually managed to get him around the other side of the bike and understand that I would lift it, and in one swift movement the bike was stood up. 

Unfortunately by this time I had a local in a tractor behind me follows by I don't know how many cars and bikes, so I didn't really get chance to properly make sure he was ok before having to drive off. 

Ironically, we had a group of GS's in front of us a few seconds before this, and I was in the middle of saying to the wife how I didn't mind having bikes in front because they could see more around the corners and have more time to react. Then I had to anchor on. 

I'm pretty sure I have a video of it somewhere. 

#12 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 27 September 2021 - 11:50 am

My German was utterly minimal and he didn't seem to understand my English, unbelievable really because I was speaking really slowly and loud.  :dunno:

Lolzio
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#13 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 14 October 2021 - 05:25 pm

:lol:

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#14 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 14 October 2021 - 06:46 pm

Even small persons can do it.......although she isn't over 60 to be fair ;)

https://www.youtube....h?v=zYp1zXyc0fA

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#15 curlylegend

curlylegend

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 14 October 2021 - 09:32 pm

That does it !    I give in !     I'm off to get one of those electric armchair things you see old buggers cruising around shopping centres with......

#16 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts

Posted 14 October 2021 - 09:50 pm

That does it !    I give in !     I'm off to get one of those electric armchair things you see old buggers cruising around shopping centres with......

And tucked under the seat, a certain 900cc twin

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#17 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 15 October 2021 - 05:49 am

wow she really bosses that big Beemer.  LOL at 1.58 though PARP !!!

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#18 Rallyist

Rallyist

Gettin to be an 'Old Bugger'

• 3,250 posts
  • Location:Usually in a Hospital somewhere in the Birmingham area

Posted 15 October 2021 - 07:18 am

You have either got it or not I have never had it and never will I can get out of shape on European cobbles :rotflmmfao: :good:

For a challenging summer try the

Round Britain Rally.....  

1993 TDM 850 Mk1 ..... 2008 TDM 900 ....  1975, 1979, 1982, 1992 Goldwings, Scott, AJS,  Triumph 5TA

#19 dandywarhol

dandywarhol

Carpe Citizen

• 5,324 posts

Posted 15 October 2021 - 10:03 am

Putting the 'bars on full lock also help as a lifting lever

1967 Yamaha TD1C 250, 2014 Kawasaki W800, 2011 Aprilia Tuono 1000 V4, 2020 Yamaha XSR900

"At the cutting edge of technophobia" Scotland_180-animated-flag-gifs.gif mccoy.gif

#20 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 15 October 2021 - 03:12 pm

You have either got it or not I have never had it and never will I can get out of shape on European cobbles :rotflmmfao: :good:

:rotflmmfao:

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users