• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 curlylegend

curlylegend

Carpe Addict

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPip
  • 305 posts
  • Location:West of France, south of the Loire...the good bit !
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 14 September 2019 - 01:43 pm

Has anybody crossed the Pyrenees, ridden south through Spain and crossed over to Africa on a TDM ?...… and come back of course.

Any hints, tips, offers of money... ?

I'm bored right now and just plotting a stunt for next year.

TDM's going perfectly so a round trip of 6000km won't do it any harm.

#2 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 14 September 2019 - 02:04 pm

Yes.  http://www.carpe-tdm...35012&hl=africa

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#3 catsbum

catsbum

Sponsored by AutoGlym

• 7,057 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 14 September 2019 - 03:06 pm

Did Berkshire to Marbella a few years back. 3 1/2 days through Spain. Amazing country

#4 Favs

Favs

Sir Cumference

• 4,391 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 14 September 2019 - 04:10 pm

Get your shots n paperwork sorted as Africa is a continent of somewhat varied countries/facilities/wars/disease/fun/corruption/prices/accommodation/rules/regulations/laws etc.

FIND OUT which countries are busy with a war - civil or otherwise and avoid.

Edited by Favs, 14 September 2019 - 04:10 pm.

Single-handedly reviving the Wave.

2008 reg. Black TDM 900 ABS

#5 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 14 September 2019 - 05:06 pm

Lots of info here https://www.ukgser.c...9b88748767e5e13

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#6 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 14 September 2019 - 06:09 pm

Well got part of it done, in fact i left me bike in Spain..

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#7 harvey krumpet

harvey krumpet

has been here 4ever

• 2,049 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 14 September 2019 - 10:11 pm

IIRC a Carpedian rode from the UK to NZ on a MkI. Pretty sure it was through Africa.

TDM 850 Loud and unusual. CRM 250r Woo hoo! DT 230 Lanza Fiddled with.... Bloody hell, is that legal? GG Randonee AKA "I didn't think that was possible".

#8 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 15 September 2019 - 01:51 am

IIRC a Carpedian rode from the UK to NZ on a MkI. Pretty sure it was through Africa.

Richard Parker aka Godzillamonster,  his 3VD had huge mileage on it.

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#9 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,735 posts

Posted 15 September 2019 - 09:58 am

Richard Parker aka Godzillamonster,  his 3VD had huge mileage on it.

300,000+ miles i think, blimey that was the mother of all adventure bikes eh.

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#10 Pedro

Pedro

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 15 September 2019 - 07:59 pm

How far down Africa are you planning? I'm in the south east of Spain and have been planning to ride down Morocco for a couple of years now but never happened.
Maybe a Carpe-TDM join up on Spain and invade Morocco :)

#11 jpor

jpor

seems to like Carpe

• 72 posts

Posted 16 September 2019 - 10:40 am

I'd be keen on this. I am contractually obligated to take 10 consecutive working days off a year so this has opened up the option in my mind of doing one "big tour" a year. 

If you'd be happy for me to tag along for the first two weeks depending on how long you'd go (then I'll probably get the bike shipped back and fly home if we've got to like Nigeria or something by then) - or to Morocco and ride back sounds equally good.

Advanced rider, likes a twisty road

#12 curlylegend

curlylegend

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 16 September 2019 - 09:43 pm

Pedro and jpor, sorry guys, I'm only going to be touching Africa. As I said, maximum trip of  6000km.  I'm looking at spending a couple of days max in Cueta.  Although it's a Spanish Territory it's still Africa.

Yeah, I know, it's not the REAL Africa. But to be honest I'd be too wimpy to go to places like Morocco.... I've seen the videos !  Hell it looks worse than Glasgow.  Mind you I've got nothing but respect for the people that do venture into real third world countries..... just won't ever be me.  I'll be too busy at home watching the videos they make.

Also, I'd be a poor riding companion.  This is the Modern Age, isn't it ?  It's now acceptable to be totally frank with your personal details, isn't it ?  Well, I'm a self-confessed grumpy. carnaptious curmudgeon. I only put up with my own company because there's no alternative !

#13 chrisr

chrisr

has been here 4ever

• 1,745 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 16 September 2019 - 11:38 pm

Well, I'm a self-confessed grumpy. carnaptious curmudgeon. I only put up with my own company because there's no alternative !

Thought those were the prerequisites for joining Carpe!

Edited by chrisr, 16 September 2019 - 11:40 pm.

The Blue One : 2004 model owned 2010-2018 much loved, much missed and now living with a man in Scotland
The Black One : 2010 Model Registered 2013 owned 2018 - present.Beowulf Cans. Renthal 755s Grip Puppies,15w fork oil,DL650 handguards,givi engine bars,led spotlights,gipro gear indicator,shortened dogbones,LeeHenty CSM kit and stainless bits,Topsellerie seat,MRA Xcreen,grip puppies.PC III (dynoed). K&N airfilter,Fenda extenda.

#14 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 16 September 2019 - 11:41 pm

Thought those were the prerequisites for joining Carpe!

:rotflmmfao:  :lol:  :good:

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#15 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,105 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 17 September 2019 - 04:52 am

Lolzio
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#16 jpor

jpor

seems to like Carpe

• 72 posts

Posted 17 September 2019 - 07:33 am

Also, I'd be a poor riding companion.  This is the Modern Age, isn't it ?  It's now acceptable to be totally frank with your personal details, isn't it ?  Well, I'm a self-confessed grumpy. carnaptious curmudgeon. I only put up with my own company because there's no alternative !

Well that makes two of us then! Good luck with it. Do you ever worry about taking a bike from 1991 over such a distance? Mine is brand new in comparison and it does worry me now and again, especially as they aren't an altogether common bike

Let me know if anyone else here fancies a two week tour at some point.

#17 Pedro

Pedro

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 17 September 2019 - 11:37 am

Well I get called Victor Meldrew by my other half so must be a TDM thing!  If you do make it down to Spain, although I'm not on your direct route to ferry crossing to Ceuta, (I'm near Almeria), you're welcome to swing by for a break and take the coastal road to the ferry crossing.  Don't forget to take into account the heat when choosing the time of year. :good:

#18 curlylegend

curlylegend

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 17 September 2019 - 09:41 pm

Well that makes two of us then! Good luck with it. Do you ever worry about taking a bike from 1991 over such a distance? Mine is brand new in comparison and it does worry me now and again, especially as they aren't an altogether common bike

Let me know if anyone else here fancies a two week tour at some point.

Not really. I've done all of the general maintenance stuff....valve clearances, oil changes, carbs overhauled, front forks stripped and resealed, brake lines renewed, callipers overhauled, brake pads renewed, tyres replaced and fuel tank cleaned and coated inside.   Nearly forgot, new fuel pump and all fuel hoses and all bulbs. The Battery is two years old and is on a smart charger if it's going to sit for more than a week.  The wiring harness and connecters have been thoroughly checked and repaired as required. The chain has done 20,000km in two years with a Scott oiler since the beginning and isn't showing any signs of wear. The gearbox can be clunky if rushed and it's far from silent, but I've ridden old BMW's with worse transmissions and they just went on and on.....and on !

So, unless I'm unlucky, the only thing that could go without warning is an electronic component, like the Ignition system....  ?

Well that's maybe what a good insurance policy's for...

When I was very much younger I used to ride out with a group and we were all laden down with all manner of tools and spare parts, just in case a big end failed on the huge trip from Glasgow to Loch Lomond.

This of course, was before the idea of methodically checking our machines beforehand sunk into our skulls.

And yes, someone's big end did go, and we had to hang about Anniesland Cross for a couple of hours while a Villiers engine had a crank swap at the side of the road.... then the rain started.

#19 Riggers

Riggers

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 18 September 2019 - 11:22 am

Has anybody crossed the Pyrenees, ridden south through Spain and crossed over to Africa on a TDM ?...… and come back of course.

Any hints, tips, offers of money... ?

I'm bored right now and just plotting a stunt for next year.

TDM's going perfectly so a round trip of 6000km won't do it any harm.

Many moons ago (1980 in fact) a mate and I did north Africa on our bikes. I was on a new Suzuki GS1000S and he was on a new Honda CB900F. We took the ferry from Hull to Zeebruges, rode down through France and Spain, ferry to Morrocco and then rode through Fez, Oran, Constantine, Algiers, and Tunis (not necessarily in that order!). Then from Tunis to Marsailles (sp), back up through Europe and back to the ferry to Hull.

My memory of the trip is fading a bit now but the thing that sticks in my mind was the bloody temperature which was like having a hair dryer blowing at you all the time We actually have to do some of the riding at night when it was cooler. Also the borders in north Africa took around 4 hours to get through. However on the plus side it was the most amazing adventure which happily went very well  -  just as well because unlike McGregor and Boreman we had no backup, no plan B, and in those days no mobile phones - oh and we didn't speak French.

But for two young blokes it was the trip of a lifetime - we did 5000 miles in three weeks and apart from a bit of battery trouble the bikes behaved perfectly (boring!) As I remember it cost us about £3000 each including the new bikes which we'd bought with bank loans and left us both in debt for about 5 years. When my mate took his bike in for its first service it had 5250 miles on the clock!

Here are a few piccies....

Attached File  08.JPG   129.15KB   17 downloads

Attached File  19.JPG   89.36KB   11 downloads

Attached File  20.JPG   133.68KB   14 downloads

Happy days!

Riggers.

#20 curlylegend

curlylegend

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 18 September 2019 - 12:01 pm

Many moons ago (1980 in fact) a mate and I did north Africa on our bikes. I was on a new Suzuki GS1000S and he was on a new Honda CB900F. We took the ferry from Hull to Zeebruges, rode down through France and Spain, ferry to Morrocco and then rode through Fez, Oran, Constantine, Algiers, and Tunis (not necessarily in that order!). Then from Tunis to Marsailles (sp), back up through Europe and back to the ferry to Hull.

My memory of the trip is fading a bit now but the thing that sticks in my mind was the bloody temperature which was like having a hair dryer blowing at you all the time We actually have to do some of the riding at night when it was cooler. Also the borders in north Africa took around 4 hours to get through. However on the plus side it was the most amazing adventure which happily went very well  -  just as well because unlike McGregor and Boreman we had no backup, no plan B, and in those days no mobile phones - oh and we didn't speak French.

But for two young blokes it was the trip of a lifetime - we did 5000 miles in three weeks and apart from a bit of battery trouble the bikes behaved perfectly (boring!) As I remember it cost us about £3000 each including the new bikes which we'd bought with bank loans and left us both in debt for about 5 years. When my mate took his bike in for its first service it had 5250 miles on the clock!

Happy days!

Riggers.

Forty years ago that would have been a dream for me.   Well done !    

Look at the memories you have now...

It's only in the past couple of years that I've realised that motorcycling can actually be bloody hot work !  All my life, up till then, was trying to stay warm and dry, not always successfully.

Picture of me tackling the Corrieairack Pass on Midsummer Day.   We did have to struggle through snow at the top !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users