#81 Pilot Paul

Pilot Paul

arrived on last train

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 22 July 2007 - 03:04 pm

Hi All

Recently bought a TDM900 (in Lava Red) to replace an aging Yamaha YZF1000R Thunderace that was getting expensive to keep going (still awesome to ride though - so much power!). Before that had a Suzuki RF900R (underrated), a Moto Guzzi V50 Monza (awsome for the size), a Kawasaki Z400 (the dispatch rider's friend!), a Suzuki GT250 (passed me test on that one!), and going all the way back...a Suzuki AP50 (before they were restricted...55 mph all the way to school - yeehaaaaa!). All in all I have been biking for almost 30 years, albeit with a 10 year gap somewhere in the middle!

Day times I fly a Barbie Jet (that's an Embraer 145) for a well known UK regional airline that recently bought another well known UK regional airline (although, ironically, less so, despite being owned by the national flag carrier!).

Great site with very useful info - I've already done the airbox mod (whilst fitting a Touring Scottoiler...seemed to make sense since I needed a vacuum tap anyway!), have fitted a Givi universal plate direct to the TDM's rack (solid as a rock), on which I mount (!) an E52 box with additional brake lighting, and am now contemplating hand guards in time for the winter (which is better, Suzuki or BMW?)! Would also like to improve the screen for better weather protection (I tend to ride all year round) so am watching the debate emerging on this one in the forums with much interest. Have always used heated gloves in the past but will consider heated grips once the hand guards have been fitted.

Will try and post a pic of the bike once it stops raining (hahahahahahahahahahaha!) and I can get a decent one!

Cheers

Paul

Edited by Pilot Paul, 22 July 2007 - 03:06 pm.

#82 bobalob5

bobalob5

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 139 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 22 July 2007 - 03:40 pm

QUOTE(Pilot Paul @ Sun 22nd Jul 2007, 03:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi All

Recently bought a TDM900 (in Lava Red) to replace an aging Yamaha YZF1000R Thunderace that was getting expensive to keep going (still awesome to ride though - so much power!). Before that had a Suzuki RF900R (underrated), a Moto Guzzi V50 Monza (awsome for the size), a Kawasaki Z400 (the dispatch rider's friend!), a Suzuki GT250 (passed me test on that one!), and going all the way back...a Suzuki AP50 (before they were restricted...55 mph all the way to school - yeehaaaaa!). All in all I have been biking for almost 30 years, albeit with a 10 year gap somewhere in the middle!

Day times I fly a Barbie Jet (that's an Embraer 145) for a well known UK regional airline that recently bought another well known UK regional airline (although, ironically, less so, despite being owned by the national flag carrier!).

Great site with very useful info - I've already done the airbox mod (whilst fitting a Touring Scottoiler...seemed to make sense since I needed a vacuum tap anyway!), have fitted a Givi universal plate direct to the TDM's rack (solid as a rock), on which I mount (!) an E52 box with additional brake lighting, and am now contemplating hand guards in time for the winter (which is better, Suzuki or BMW?)! Would also like to improve the screen for better weather protection (I tend to ride all year round) so am watching the debate emerging on this one in the forums with much interest. Have always used heated gloves in the past but will consider heated grips once the hand guards have been fitted.

Will try and post a pic of the bike once it stops raining (hahahahahahahahahahaha!) and I can get a decent one!

Cheers

Paul

Welcome Paul, the screen debate seems to be settled with the vario coming out tops. The handguards are still in the air, I use the suzuki ones and at only £24 compared to a ton for the beemer ones thats a lot of wedge towards heated grips. Yamaha heated grips (Ive got them on my 900) are around £210 but my brother has oxfords on his 900 and swears by them too and again at £40 good value too.

Bob in warrington

#83 TonyDevil

TonyDevil

seagull squadron leader & founding member of GoatTracKrew

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,336 posts
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 22 July 2007 - 03:55 pm

Welcome Double P!
good.gif

"Never argue with an idiot. They just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience"
My TDM :
Black 1991 850 MK1, 160k+ miles(ish, best guess really, gave up trying to keep count after 3rd set of clocks and 3rd engine), PilotRoad2 tyres, custom stubby exhaust system, bluespot calipers & goodridge braided hoses with dunlopads, maxton forks, Ohlins shock, kedo handguards, stainless TDM grill, Scottoiler with lubetube & dual nozzle thingy, Givi Wingrack2 with E45 & 2xE36s, renntec crash bars, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider2, Optimate IIIsp, Bagster tank cover, anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led spotlights, heated grips, new braided lines and rear caliper that actually has bleed nipples
Silver-ish 2003 900, 70k miles, PilotRoad3 front tyre (new@65k) & PR2 rear(new at 69k), Renthal 755 bars with KTM handguards, oxford unheated grips, power commander 3usb, scorpion titanium exhausts, standard screen with vario winglet thingy, stainless grill, oem centre stand, bagster tank cover, givi monokey topplate mounted on grabrail with V46 topbox, Givi PL pannier rails with E21s, crash bungs, mirror extender thingys, Halfords Advanced Laser Blue brillance bulbs, 21w led spotlights, touring scottoiler with leehenty dual nozzle, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider3 Urban, winter style anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led brake light strip, replacement heated grips

current rides : TDM850 3vd/mk1=tourer&scratcher, TRX850=weekend twisty toy, 2003 TDM900=commuter, 2005 
TDM900=unmolested.  Gone but not forgotton : XTZ750=overland touring toy, GS500e, GS125
If a strange looking truck driver honks at you & gives you the thumbs up, its could be me  :good:

#84 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 22 July 2007 - 10:46 pm

welcome Pilot Paul, that 3 pilots that i know of who are Carpe members.

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#85 seto

seto

arrived on last train

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 23 July 2007 - 07:25 am

Hi, my name is Sebastien, I'm living in France, 25km east from Paris (not far from DisneyLand)
I'm 31, and I 've the pleasure to have a TDM 900 ABS, a deep ble one, but I can't ride !

I gonna get my motorbike driving licence in september I think, so for the moment, my TDm is relaxing...not me !

My english is not fluent, but I really enjoy reading your topics.

I'm coming from here : http://www.ouestleke.../html/index.php, THE French website adout TDM, that some of you must known...

A bientôt !

#86 Pict

Pict

Keep on keepin' on

• 6,257 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 07:44 am

QUOTE(seto @ Mon 23rd Jul 2007, 08:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi, my name is Sebastien, I'm living in France, 25km east from Paris (not far from DisneyLand)

Bienvenu, Sebastien (le visiteur le plus recent d'Ouestlekeum) - et bonne chance, que tu vas rouler bientôt. Ne pas perdre le gland!

Welcome Sebastien (the most recent visitor from Ouestlekeum), and good luck re. getting on the road soon. Don't lose your acorn! (ref. avatar - for those who have seen Ice Age)

Dinotrike.jpg "It's a TDM, Jim, but not as we know it"

www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAHmEWim3to

Diamond black TDM 900A TRIKE, 2006 ABS model converted by Trike Design (Caerphilly, South Wales) prior to first registration in March 2007.

#87 solid air

solid air

sticking around

• Members
  • 29 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 04 August 2007 - 02:11 pm

Hi all,

Following the useful tips last month, I bought the blue 900 mentioned in earlier thread. Loads smoother than my old Mk1 850, maybe not as good looking, though!

Trouble is, leathers really, really don't fit (I think it's my muscular calves from interim cycling, but the jury's out on that) Looks like a Halvarsson jacket instead, they seem just the job. That must mean I need a new helmet, too?..

Looking forward to skinning my knuckles with some of the mods - in between border raids into Wales - so thanks in advance for the advice.

Cheers

#88 Matlock

Matlock

Carpe Citizen

• 3,913 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 04 August 2007 - 03:23 pm

Welcome “Mr Whattie”, “BrianM”, “Pilot Paul”, “Seto” & “solid air”. Another pilot Paul? I think ‘E-njoy’ also flies a kite for a living.

The TDM, the choice of aviators the world over.

2002 TDM900 in glorious yellowNOW SOLD  :( 

2012 Honda Crosstourer VFR1200X. Hyperspeed tourer.

1990 XTZ750 in black, standard apart from Micron silencer. Mechanical restoration complete, cosmetic restoration next on the agenda.. NOW SOLD  :( 

Follow me on twitter

#89 sudza

sudza

arrived on last train

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 07:26 am

Hi to all the other 850 MKII owners. This is simply an amazing bike! Having ridden and owned just about every type of bike out there from the really old bikes like the Honda 900F's right up to the current R6's and TL1000's and many others. I was not expecting to find anything unique about the TDM. I started riding when I was about 9 years old, some of the bigger bikes back then I couldn't put my feet down and had to be either held or balanced against something to pull away and caught again when I got back. This was a problem because once I was on my way there was no way of stopping until I got back. The first big bike I rode was a BMW R90S when I was about 11 years old. Some codger at the local watering hole laughingly said YES when I asked if I could ride his bike. He was sweating profusely and stone cold sober when I brought the thing back.

The TDM is not a bike I would have usually looked at, I was actually looking for something to tour on, similar to or in line with my FJ1100. I phoned the local Yamaha dealer for advice. I have been dealing with this particular dealer for about 20 years and they know my likes and dislikes well. The advice I was given was that they had two suitable bikes on the floor, one being a FZ1 fazer and the other being the TDM. Both bikes were pre-owned, but the thing that drew me to the TDM was that they said it was suitable for partial off road use. My husband and I do a lot of touring and I often see small dirt roads through the Drakensburg mountains or similar, but am restricted because of the ride I have chosen. The purchase of the TDM though was frustrating. My husband was at that time riding a R6, so all interesting roads were still a "no go"! I had also wanted something that could handle twisties well, but I bought the bike sight unseen on their advice. Went through the following day and thought "What have I done"!!! EH... I am only 5'5" and can barely touch the ground with my toes. It's a very different bike to ride, but I absolutely loved the bottom end grunt. Was dissapointed that the clock only went to around 220kmph. I love acceleration though and when I first got the bike it was a continual battle to change gears before the rev limiter provoked me to do so. I discovered that 1st, 2nd could easily take any superbike on, especially with the element of surprise. Hey, what young dude on a superbike expects a 40 year old "Aunty" on a big trailie to give them a go. Of course by the time I could see their headlights catching me up, I would let got the handle bars and pretend that I was't dicing at all. Took a Ducati 999 in the same manner. There were tears of laughter streaming out my eyes by the time he passed me, I could hardly see where I was going.

I have also had the bike at the drag strip, and she does about 14 seconds on the quarter mile, a lot of fun but definitely not a good bike for dragging. On track and through twisty mountain passes she gives ALL of the superbikes something to think about. The handling is phenomenal. I LOVE THIS BIKE. I do however have a small problem, my husband has recently purchased a TDM 900 and I am trying very hard not to ride it. I know that if I make friends with his bike my old 850 will be traded in. Call me female but I am very sentimental about things that have been faithful to me. This 850 and I have done 40 000 really hard riding km's together and she has never given me one second problem. We are currently planning a longish trip, down into the Cape area. I'm just waiting for our Winter to pass. She will be doing about 3000km's, I know I don't have a problem with this bike. Great bike!!
Live Fast - Die Young - Be a good looking corpse.

#90 SteveGlover

SteveGlover

850 going for 900

• 857 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 09:04 am

Hi sudza, welcome to Carpe.
Thats a really nice write-up about your TDM. They are great bikes aren't they!
40,000km together - thats a long way, how long have you had her?

Edited by SteveGlover, 07 August 2007 - 09:04 am.

#91 Shagnasty

Shagnasty

discovering Carpe

• 11 posts
  • TDM model: none yet

Posted 07 August 2007 - 09:13 am

Hi everybody, another nooobie here. I'm currently riding a 1999 Honda Transalp. It's the only non-Yam I've ever had, but I really fancy a 2000 TDM850 that I've seen locally. Everybody reckons that the TDM will be a much better bike for the 90 mile round trip to work and back. My riding is a mixture of M25 thrash, and slow filtering through central London traffic .

(I'm a TV sound mixing engineer by profession, but somehow I seem to be driving trains nowadays huh.gif)
Yamahas mostly: DT125, XT350, XT600, Fazer600, Honda Transalp600.....TDM next ???

#92 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

• 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.

Posted 07 August 2007 - 09:49 am

Welkom to Carpe TDM Sudza & Shagnasty. Wicky

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

#93 sudza

sudza

arrived on last train

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 03:28 pm

Hi Steve,
Had my TDM since 2001 good.gif Am still very happy with her!
Live Fast - Die Young - Be a good looking corpse.

#94 Pict

Pict

Keep on keepin' on

• 6,257 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 08:09 pm

Everybody reckons that the TDM will be a much better bike for the 90 mile round trip to work and back. My riding is a mixture of M25 thrash, and slow filtering through central London traffic .
[/quote]
Made a switch from Transalp 650 to TDM900 for similar purposes 2 years ago and haven't regretted it - TA was just a bit too skittish on m'way. Also crap build quality.

Dinotrike.jpg "It's a TDM, Jim, but not as we know it"

www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAHmEWim3to

Diamond black TDM 900A TRIKE, 2006 ABS model converted by Trike Design (Caerphilly, South Wales) prior to first registration in March 2007.

#95 dandywarhol

dandywarhol

Carpe Citizen

• 5,324 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 08:54 pm

I also went from a Transflap to a TeDiuM - no regrets although I quite liked the 'flap

1967 Yamaha TD1C 250, 2014 Kawasaki W800, 2011 Aprilia Tuono 1000 V4, 2020 Yamaha XSR900

"At the cutting edge of technophobia" Scotland_180-animated-flag-gifs.gif mccoy.gif

#96 Shagnasty

Shagnasty

discovering Carpe

• 11 posts

Posted 12 August 2007 - 07:16 am

Well that's good to hear. I'm a little concerned at stories of the brakes clagging up in winter. If I'm intending to ride an 850 on the motorway all year round, what sort of preventative steps would you guys recommend taking to prevent the bike from disolving/seizing ?
Yamahas mostly: DT125, XT350, XT600, Fazer600, Honda Transalp600.....TDM next ???

#97 TonyDevil

TonyDevil

seagull squadron leader & founding member of GoatTracKrew

• 9,336 posts

Posted 12 August 2007 - 09:06 am

QUOTE(Shagnasty @ Sun 12th Aug 2007, 08:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well that's good to hear. I'm a little concerned at stories of the brakes clagging up in winter. If I'm intending to ride an 850 on the motorway all year round, what sort of preventative steps would you guys recommend taking to prevent the bike from disolving/seizing ?

fender extend, handguards, maybe heated grips and a loobman
i find the screen fine for me at 5'10" good.gif

if you do have trouble with the front brakes(which doesnt seem common) just replace them with a set of bluespots
there are loads of trashed R1/6s out there so no shortage of donors and its cheaper than a rebuild

"Never argue with an idiot. They just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience"
My TDM :
Black 1991 850 MK1, 160k+ miles(ish, best guess really, gave up trying to keep count after 3rd set of clocks and 3rd engine), PilotRoad2 tyres, custom stubby exhaust system, bluespot calipers & goodridge braided hoses with dunlopads, maxton forks, Ohlins shock, kedo handguards, stainless TDM grill, Scottoiler with lubetube & dual nozzle thingy, Givi Wingrack2 with E45 & 2xE36s, renntec crash bars, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider2, Optimate IIIsp, Bagster tank cover, anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led spotlights, heated grips, new braided lines and rear caliper that actually has bleed nipples
Silver-ish 2003 900, 70k miles, PilotRoad3 front tyre (new@65k) & PR2 rear(new at 69k), Renthal 755 bars with KTM handguards, oxford unheated grips, power commander 3usb, scorpion titanium exhausts, standard screen with vario winglet thingy, stainless grill, oem centre stand, bagster tank cover, givi monokey topplate mounted on grabrail with V46 topbox, Givi PL pannier rails with E21s, crash bungs, mirror extender thingys, Halfords Advanced Laser Blue brillance bulbs, 21w led spotlights, touring scottoiler with leehenty dual nozzle, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider3 Urban, winter style anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led brake light strip, replacement heated grips

current rides : TDM850 3vd/mk1=tourer&scratcher, TRX850=weekend twisty toy, 2003 TDM900=commuter, 2005 
TDM900=unmolested.  Gone but not forgotton : XTZ750=overland touring toy, GS500e, GS125
If a strange looking truck driver honks at you & gives you the thumbs up, its could be me  :good:

#98 Shagnasty

Shagnasty

discovering Carpe

• 11 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 09:12 am

QUOTE(TonyDevil @ Sun 12th Aug 2007, 09:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
fender extend, handguards, maybe heated grips and a loobman
i find the screen fine for me at 5'10" good.gif

Cheers, that all makes sense. I've got all those on my 'Translap' at the moment, with the exception that I have the Scottoiler Dual Injector. The Scottoiler oil seems to vary its viscosity enormously with temperature...in summer the back end of the bike gets covered in oil whilst in winter the chain gets dry. It's such a pain in the ars* to lie next to the bike with a stopwatch counting the drips every time the weather changes that I just can't be bothered anymore.
I'll try the Loobman next...'Keep It Simple' has to be best
And at 5'6", I should be well below the screen

Edited by Shagnasty, 14 August 2007 - 09:12 am.

#99 Joheb

Joheb

arrived on last train

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 August 2007 - 05:10 pm

Hi this is Joheb. I have accquired a Mk 1 TDM this week and have just returned from the Unity Rally. I was introduced to TDMs by Tonydevil. He's already told me where to buy a new regulator from and I was with him in Germany when his sprocket came loose. So I only have myself to blame .

#100 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

• 12,211 posts

Posted 19 August 2007 - 05:30 pm

[quote name='Joheb' date='Sun 19th Aug 2007, 05:55 PM' post='50592']
Hi this is Joheb. I have accquired a Mk 1 TDM this week and have just returned from the Unity Rally. I was introduced to TDMs by Tonydevil. He's already told me where to buy a new regulator from and I was with him in Germany when his sprocket came loose. So I only have myself to blame .

welcome to carpe 'Tufty' smile.gif wicky

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users