• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 18 May 2019 - 01:55 pm

so the pilot screws are meant to be 2 turns out according to Haynes.   If you wind them out more you are leaning off the mixture i guess? 

LHS carb is set at 2.25  turns out and RHS is set at 3.5 turns out,  i notice when i let it idle the RHS down poipe gets very hot compared to the LHS one so am i right in saying the right one is running lean? 

The pilots as yew all know are a pig to get to but once set up properly they shudn't need adjusting again i hope! I was gonna look at buying and fitting those long remote pilot screw adjusters which would make adjustment a doddle and as the extensions are similar to the remote idle control knob and they cud be placed behind the side panels to facilitate easy access and adjustment.

The bike still has the original problem whereby it'll only idle on full choke and if i try and apply throttle it dies and if i take off the choke it dies,  i failed to remove the carb. float bowls as the screws were stuck fast so i will apply more carb. cleaner to the inlets and see if that helps clean tings up and improves running.  I have some Seafoam fuel system cleaner on it's way here so will also try that.   The bike is unrideable at present.

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#2 Pedro

Pedro

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 266 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 18 May 2019 - 03:20 pm

Sounds like deffo a blockage in the carbs. As i understand it the pilots screws only deal with the tick over mixture, maybe overlaps a bit into the secondary jets. I'd say the probems is with the jets being blocked inside, hence when you open the throttle, no fuel, no bang bang.  I'd  be interested to find out what the seafoam does. Yankee friends swear by it but i've never heard much about them over here.  I'd say a carb strip is eminent even if you have to use swear words and divine interverntion on the bowl screws.

Pedro

#3 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,735 posts

Posted 18 May 2019 - 04:21 pm

Wickers sometimes i've found even a JIS wont budge some screws, if you have them on the bench think i would monky jizz em and put a small pair of molies on then replace with new or Alan.. remember to hold the bowl flat when undoing seems to help.

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#4 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

• 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.

Posted 18 May 2019 - 11:19 pm

Pedro / Dablik,  

Ok we have moved forward as the  bike will now rev out using the throttle but still requires choke to idle. I will keep it running by feathering the throttle and i'll keep feeding it carb cleaner direct into the carbs and see if it cleans out the clogged up jets. Oil administer the Seafoam on monday and run it thru and see what happens.

Edited by wicklamulla, 18 May 2019 - 11:20 pm.

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

#5 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,735 posts

Posted 19 May 2019 - 08:32 am

When Dave used Seafoam he left it in to work furra a good cupla days, was like following smokey the bandit afterwards but cleaned up his hesistant carbs no end.

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#6 Pedro

Pedro

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 19 May 2019 - 12:09 pm

:good:

#7 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 19 May 2019 - 01:36 pm

Pedro / Dablik,  

Ok we have moved forward as the  bike will now rev out using the throttle but still requires choke to idle. I will keep it running by feathering the throttle and i'll keep feeding it carb cleaner direct into the carbs and see if it cleans out the clogged up jets. Oil administer the Seafoam on monday and run it thru and see what happens.

Don't forget to read the instructions first Ken. :D

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#8 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

• 12,211 posts

Posted 20 May 2019 - 01:22 am

Don't forget to read the instructions first Ken. :D

You Betcha!

#9 dandywarhol

dandywarhol

Carpe Citizen

• 5,324 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 24 May 2019 - 07:54 pm

If the screw is above the fuel level it's out to enrichen and vice versa

1967 Yamaha TD1C 250, 2014 Kawasaki W800, 2011 Aprilia Tuono 1000 V4, 2020 Yamaha XSR900

"At the cutting edge of technophobia" Scotland_180-animated-flag-gifs.gif mccoy.gif

#10 TDM4ever

TDM4ever

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 302 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 25 May 2019 - 07:22 am

..monky jizz ...

:huh:  :huh:  :rotflmmfao:

#11 MipeTDM

MipeTDM

really likes Carpe

• 92 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 25 May 2019 - 06:02 pm

so the pilot screws are meant to be 2 turns out according to Haynes.   If you wind them out more you are leaning off the mixture i guess? 

No, its the other way around as far as I recall

HS carb is set at 2.25  turns out and RHS is set at 3.5 turns out,  i notice when i let it idle the RHS down poipe gets very hot compared to the LHS one so am i right in saying the right one is running lean? 

Not necessarily, it can also be the case they are not synchronized, so one cylinder is doing most of the works at idle.

The pilots as yew all know are a pig to get to

I used this and a small mirror to do the adjustments.
Not very easy, but possible.
I'd try adjusting them, and also check synchronisation: the screw in the middle of the two carbs. Try moving the slides up on the carbs and check the opening of the butterfly valves visually. Big adjustment errors can be spotted easily

Attached Files

#12 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

• 12,211 posts

Posted 26 May 2019 - 01:02 am

No, its the other way around as far as I recall

Not necessarily, it can also be the case they are not synchronized, so one cylinder is doing most of the works at idle.
  I used this and a small mirror to do the adjustments.
Not very easy, but possible.
I'd try adjusting them, and also check synchronisation: the screw in the middle of the two carbs. Try moving the slides up on the carbs and check the opening of the butterfly valves visually. Big adjustment errors can be spotted easily

Thanks Mipe,  i used a bore scope and a similar tool to adjust the pilots.  it now runs and idles erratically but it is just rideable but i am not happy with it.  i will wind the pilots out some more as i set them to 2 turns out as that what the manual states.  I checked the carb balance and they are very close together,  i think the TPS is out of adjustment too so i'll reset that to spec. Love this bike and i need to sort this out,  my neglect has brought this on to be fair and truthful! 

#13 MipeTDM

MipeTDM

really likes Carpe

• 92 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 26 May 2019 - 12:50 pm

In the end the issue will surely be simple. Finding it is generally the difficult part...

Have you checked, if the carb slides both move simultaneously on the throttle, with the bike running without air filter so you can see it?

#14 danjohnston89

danjohnston89

enuff posts to fill a 50cc

• 63 posts

Posted 09 September 2019 - 03:11 pm

Wicklamulla did you ever get this sorted? I am experiencing very similar issues
Wicklamulla did you ever get this sorted? I am experiencing very similar issues

#15 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

• 12,211 posts

Posted 09 September 2019 - 05:13 pm

Wicklamulla did you ever get this sorted? I am experiencing very similar issuesWicklamulla did you ever get this sorted? I am experiencing very similar issues

Dan I pushed it to the back of the garage and pulled out another bike instead. I'll be taking the carbs out again soon though as I want to try cleaning them some more.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users