Photo

How to replace the emulsion tubes on a Mk1

• Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

#41 Guest_Wayfarer_*

Guest_Wayfarer_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 July 2008 - 06:22 am

What caused you to want to replace the emulsion tubes on your mark 1? Was something er...inefficient.
Best
Wayfarer

#42 tdm850rider

tdm850rider

Carpe Citizen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,103 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 16 July 2008 - 08:33 pm

QUOTE(Wayfarer @ Wed 16th Jul 2008, 02:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What caused you to want to replace the emulsion tubes on your mark 1? Was something er...inefficient.
Best
Wayfarer

Generally poor fuel economy.
Posted Image

Always tell the truth, it will gratify some of the people and astonish the rest. (Mark Twain)
£

Stebel Nautilus air-horn, Corbin seat, MRA Touring screen, single Delkevic silencer.
"I see by your outfit that you are a spaceman"(MkI (3VD) TDM Review)
Hints for using Carpe-TDM. (photo's, links, etc).

#43 malred71

malred71

arrived on last train

• 3 posts
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 15 August 2008 - 02:27 am

ok so Ive had mine since 94 it's a 92 model year. so my question is it has been running like crap!!! It starts and idles ok but at small throttle openings it coughs and sputters unless you really get into it more than half throttle it only seems to happen below 3500 rpm. it started small and has progressively gotten worse. I live for now in southern california and even having worked in the motorcycle industry on and off for 15 yrs I still only met 2 other tdm riders. One is no longer alive and the other I have lost touch with for about 8 yrs. I also need a rear shock soon as mine is leaking an nobody will rebuild it. Any tips would be apreciated.

#44 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 15 August 2008 - 03:16 am

Hi there,
I'd say it's likely to be worn emulsion tubes, if you've also had a corresponding degradation in economy then the signs are that they need replacing.

You may also have worn/sticking float valves.

It is a common problem on the early models, some have worn out after 5000 miles !

Hope this helps, I'm sure you'll find all the info you need on this site, and some !

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#45 masterbrewer

masterbrewer

has been here 4ever

• 1,553 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 08:28 am

good.gif

G'day malred71

QUOTE(malred71 @ Fri 15th Aug 2008, 11:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
ok so Ive had mine since 94 it's a 92 model year. so my question is it has been running like crap!!! It starts and idles ok but at small throttle openings it coughs and sputters unless you really get into it more than half throttle it only seems to happen below 3500 rpm. it started small and has progressively gotten worse. I live for now in southern california and even having worked in the motorcycle industry on and off for 15 yrs I still only met 2 other tdm riders. One is no longer alive and the other I have lost touch with for about 8 yrs. I also need a rear shock soon as mine is leaking an nobody will rebuild it. Any tips would be apreciated.

It could be something as simple as resetting your pilot jet screws & sync the carbies..... tup.gif

Good luck .............Let us know how you get on

I've just installed an Ohlins rear....................................ABSOLUTELY BLOODY FANTASTIC banana.gif yahoo.gif

(but can be a bit expensive though) blush.gif

Cheers
drinks.gif

Edited by masterbrewer, 15 August 2008 - 08:29 am.

#46 TonyDevil

TonyDevil

seagull squadron leader & founding member of GoatTracKrew

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 9,336 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 08:37 am

QUOTE(masterbrewer @ Fri 15th Aug 2008, 09:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've just installed an Ohlins rear....................................ABSOLUTELY BLOODY FANTASTIC banana.gif yahoo.gif

wifgeni.gif

"Never argue with an idiot. They just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience"
My TDM :
Black 1991 850 MK1, 160k+ miles(ish, best guess really, gave up trying to keep count after 3rd set of clocks and 3rd engine), PilotRoad2 tyres, custom stubby exhaust system, bluespot calipers & goodridge braided hoses with dunlopads, maxton forks, Ohlins shock, kedo handguards, stainless TDM grill, Scottoiler with lubetube & dual nozzle thingy, Givi Wingrack2 with E45 & 2xE36s, renntec crash bars, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider2, Optimate IIIsp, Bagster tank cover, anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led spotlights, heated grips, new braided lines and rear caliper that actually has bleed nipples
Silver-ish 2003 900, 70k miles, PilotRoad3 front tyre (new@65k) & PR2 rear(new at 69k), Renthal 755 bars with KTM handguards, oxford unheated grips, power commander 3usb, scorpion titanium exhausts, standard screen with vario winglet thingy, stainless grill, oem centre stand, bagster tank cover, givi monokey topplate mounted on grabrail with V46 topbox, Givi PL pannier rails with E21s, crash bungs, mirror extender thingys, Halfords Advanced Laser Blue brillance bulbs, 21w led spotlights, touring scottoiler with leehenty dual nozzle, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider3 Urban, winter style anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led brake light strip, replacement heated grips

current rides : TDM850 3vd/mk1=tourer&scratcher, TRX850=weekend twisty toy, 2003 TDM900=commuter, 2005 
TDM900=unmolested.  Gone but not forgotton : XTZ750=overland touring toy, GS500e, GS125
If a strange looking truck driver honks at you & gives you the thumbs up, its could be me  :good:

#47 TDMTAM

TDMTAM

Carpe Citizen

• 4,205 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 15 August 2008 - 08:39 am

QUOTE(TonyDevil @ Fri 15th Aug 2008, 09:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
wifgeni.gif

Show off's disbig.gif hm.gif
TAM
2008 TDM 900 in BLACK, MRA Vario, DL handguards & more to come
1994 TDM 850 mkI Silver, with Blueflame end can, Gone to a new owner & I kinda miss her!

th_09062006104.jpg th_02012009095.jpg

Only a Biker knows why a Dog sticks it head out the car window

#48 mwarner

mwarner

arrived on last train

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 06:19 pm

QUOTE(malred71 @ Thu 14th Aug 2008, 07:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Odd. I just replaced the emulsion tubes on my TDM (92 California model) over the weekend, and now it is running exactly as you describe. The only way I can ride it now is with partial choke. I called Factory Pro, and they advised me to play with the mixture screws until it runs smoothly (?). I fear I may have gotten a piece of goo in one of the jets during the emulsion tube install sad.gif It was running similarly a couple of months ago, and I fixed it by cleaning the pilot jets. They are an awful pain in the arse to clean though. I would suggest saving yourself the trouble and buying some new ones if you go that route. FYI, the pilot jets and emulsion tubes can both be replaced with the carbs still on the bike.

Check with these guys on your shock: http://www.le-suspension.com/ They rebuilt a shock on a Ninja I used to ride and didn't charge an arm and a leg.

#49 hawkman

hawkman

discovering Carpe

• 12 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 11:23 am

Hello,
Just bought a 92 TDM850 and love the bike.
However, the engine sputters and surges between no throttle and 1/4 open throttle.
On the freeway, when it is cruising at 65 mph 4500 rpm, the engine sputters and surges.
Do you think the emulsion tube is the problem?
Let me know your thoughts and thanks for the help.

#50 jdelfino

jdelfino

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts
  • Location:Benalmadena Spain no more, The Hague no more, now Hampshire

Posted 03 October 2009 - 10:35 pm

Just replace mine today, discover that the carb floats high are set at only 11mm! (without compressing the springs, just like factory pro says you should measure them), needles are set at the second from top position, I'm going to leave everything as is since the bike was running fine except for horrible fuel consumption (8,5L per 100km), don't have a vacuum gage so balancing carbs will have to wait sad.gif

Good and bad? news was to discover the throttle cable was ready to snap! so, will have to wait till I get one to see how the new emulsion tubes work.

Any tips on replacing the cables? I guess I'll have to grease them at the handlebar end... don't know how you take that apart unsure.gif

cheers
Sent from my secret Dick Tracy watch

#51 hawkman

hawkman

discovering Carpe

• 12 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 11:18 am

QUOTE(mwarner @ Tue 16th Sep 2008, 02:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Odd. I just replaced the emulsion tubes on my TDM (92 California model) over the weekend, and now it is running exactly as you describe. The only way I can ride it now is with partial choke. I called Factory Pro, and they advised me to play with the mixture screws until it runs smoothly (?). I fear I may have gotten a piece of goo in one of the jets during the emulsion tube install sad.gif It was running similarly a couple of months ago, and I fixed it by cleaning the pilot jets. They are an awful pain in the arse to clean though. I would suggest saving yourself the trouble and buying some new ones if you go that route. FYI, the pilot jets and emulsion tubes can both be replaced with the carbs still on the bike.

Check with these guys on your shock: http://www.le-suspension.com/ They rebuilt a shock on a Ninja I used to ride and didn't charge an arm and a leg.

My bike is doing the same thing. Did you fix your problem? What did you do?
My slide goes up and down like crazy when I open the throttle to 1/3 and then it smooths out over 1/3 throttle.
Is this normal?

#52 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 11:35 am

QUOTE(hawkman @ Tue 13th Oct 2009, 12:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My bike is doing the same thing. Did you fix your problem? What did you do?
My slide goes up and down like crazy when I open the throttle to 1/3 and then it smooths out over 1/3 throttle.
Is this normal?

I'd say it's about normal, are both slides doing it the same ? Check inside the carb tops to make sure the little o ring is there as they can easily fall out if you take the tops off with the carbs still on the bike. Another fiddly bit worth checking is the diaphragm in the carb tops. If they're not positioned exactly right when you put the top back on, you don't get the airtight seal which will cause it to splutter.

Failing that, make sure you have the needle clip in the 3rd position.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#53 Drew48

Drew48

has been here 4ever

• 1,150 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 02:08 pm

Superb write up and photos, just removed mine using your descriptor and had the carbs off and the emulison tubes out in about 1/2 hr -

CB125 SUPERDREAM, DR125, MZ125ETZ, CD200BENLY, CB250SUPERDREAM x 2, VT250F, XT350,SRX400,CX500EC,XT600,GPX600C1,TDM850MK2,GS850,TDM850MK1,XJ900F,SV1000S, SV1000N, TDM850MK1 (nr2), TDM850 MK1 (nr3),TDM850 MK1 (quatre)

#54 Bjørge

Bjørge

has been here 4ever

• 1,791 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 20 July 2012 - 11:25 am

Excellent description, thanks !!
Took me about one hour + tank removal/assembly, no problems whatsoever.
....ehhh...haven't started it yet rolleyes.gif

Think I'll wait 'til tomorrow, won't risk spoiling a perfect (but rainy) day.
If no followup posting, consider it a success.

Regards, Bjoerge
Bjørge

#55 Hombre

Hombre

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:11 am

I have the Factory Pro tubes on order and hope they solve my high fuel consumption. I have not read anything about replacement of the needles that operate with them: do these not also wear at contact with the tubes?

Many thanks to Paul for the pictorial guide.

<p>BSA C15T, Ducati 200 Elite, Villiers Cub Trials Bitsa, Ariel Huntmaster, AJS 650 CSR, Sunbeam S7, Suzuki 650 Katana, Honda 400-4, Bultaco 350 Sherpa, Cotton Minarelli, Fantic 303, Yamaha SRX 400, Yamaha 550 Virago, Kawasaki ZZR 1100,  Fantic 305, Yamaha TDM 850 '91, Yamaha TDM 900 '04.  Ducati 200 Elite (again and now completed restoration), Yamaha SRX-600

#56 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:28 am

They do but no where near as much as the toobs. Also FP needles have a slightly diff profile to OEM so you might have some setup tweakifrying to do to get um running noice if you went for them. If you can find OEM needles for a reasonable price lettuce snow.
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#57 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:52 am

I think it was the FP needles (stepped profile) that I tried and failed to tweak in successfully.

Have ya tried Kedo Daps ? Seem to remember their prices were pretty good a while back.

#58 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:57 am

Aint not tried kedo for carb bits. Think someone tried toobs recently but not heard oubt about needles if they do em.

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#59 Hombre

Hombre

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 17 January 2013 - 11:05 am

dapleb, thanks for that. I will do tubes only first due to price of needles. Fowlers Bristol quoted £58 for two sets 3VD-1490J-00-00. Yamaha Spain want £120 for the same!

<p>BSA C15T, Ducati 200 Elite, Villiers Cub Trials Bitsa, Ariel Huntmaster, AJS 650 CSR, Sunbeam S7, Suzuki 650 Katana, Honda 400-4, Bultaco 350 Sherpa, Cotton Minarelli, Fantic 303, Yamaha SRX 400, Yamaha 550 Virago, Kawasaki ZZR 1100,  Fantic 305, Yamaha TDM 850 '91, Yamaha TDM 900 '04.  Ducati 200 Elite (again and now completed restoration), Yamaha SRX-600

#60 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 11:41 am

Fowlers Bristol quoted £58 for two sets 3VD-1490J-00-00.

Ahh I'da thought it were more than that, still alorra lolly for 2 pins.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users