2008 reg. Black TDM 900 ABS

#4122 butcher650

butcher650

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 05 June 2020 - 11:01 am

BUGGER ALL - Because it won't stop raining.

#4123 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,213 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 05 June 2020 - 02:52 pm

Fitted a new gear lever rubber......in the rain. :lol:

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#4124 DavG

DavG

discovering Carpe

• 19 posts
  • TDM model: 2005

Posted 05 June 2020 - 06:50 pm

Attached File  bik.jpg   188.28KB   0 downloadsNot just today but over the past couple of weeks had the wheels powder coated + new tyres, bearings, seals and break discs.. had the rear pannier carriers and carrier supports powder coated. had the Givi crash bars powder coated. painted fork bottoms.. Fitted titanium disc bolts and sprocket nuts as well as new radiator and rad cover.. today fitted  a screen extension and painted the side and center stands.. Not finished yet but a definite improvement..

#4125 butcher650

butcher650

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 05 June 2020 - 06:56 pm

I did manage to finish my fork seals actually. (Dodging the rain) Started fecking down again so not back on bike yet.

#4126 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,213 posts

Posted 05 June 2020 - 07:46 pm

Looking good Dav. :good:

:lol: Well done Butch, they can be a pain in the rissole to change.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#4127 PICARD

PICARD

has been here 4ever

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 1,741 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 06 June 2020 - 05:26 am

Schoolboy error :lol:

Which one? The forks, or mentioning spare cash??
Lock onto my co-ordinates and beam me up !!

04 900 - 92 mk 1 - r 1150 rs - Z550 A1 - 2x bonnies - plastic slug -XL185 - ...not in that order !! (and one or two i don't want / dare to own up to !!)

#4128 butcher650

butcher650

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 06 June 2020 - 06:53 am

:lol: Well done Butch, they can be a pain in the rissole to change.

For the first time I've done them, I didn't think it was too bad. Funnily enough I read an old post of yours yesterday about Haynes not including helpful information, and two tips/points I think they could have included on fork seal change:
1 (this may of just been my forks and because the oil was old etc), but the sliding hammer action to separate the fork leg and stancion took bleeding ages, because it kept getting stuck at the top. Had to use a block o wood and gentle taps to free it, before one more slide, and it'd then get stuck again.

2 Saying to torque the damper rod bolt when you pop the cartride and stancion back in the leg - This is impossible because of course it just spins, and you can get anywhere near enough turns to get it sealed enough so it won't piddle out your new fork oil. (Learnt this the hard way) - So I had to temp install the spring and top bolt to get a bit more downward pressure to hold the cartridge still, so I could turn the damper rod bolt a bit more to seal it enough for the oil. Then of course spring back out to oil up and then properly re-assemble. I still can't quite torque one of them, as even with everything re-assembled you can feel and hear everything still spinning. Hoping that once its back in bike and top bolt torqued, that'll be enough to torque the bottom bolt.

#4129 Favs

Favs

Sir Cumference

• 4,395 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 06 June 2020 - 07:42 am

Which one? The forks, or mentioning spare cash??

Never show them the money :lol:

Single-handedly reviving the Wave.

2008 reg. Black TDM 900 ABS

#4130 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,213 posts

Posted 06 June 2020 - 07:43 am

Separating them was the trickiest part for me.  One bush rode over the other and then got stuck in the seal.

There is a special tool for holding the damper rod in place, not sure who the current keeper is though.  Others have used a broom handle to good effect, and yet others have spun it tight using a drill.

#4131 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,747 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 06 June 2020 - 07:46 am

Found a Broom handle to large, i used a long 10mm x 10mm with a wedge cut on the end, http://www.carpe-tdm...c=36320&page=24

Post 463 may help.. and i found a little heat helped a lot to split the forks.

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#4132 butcher650

butcher650

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 06 June 2020 - 07:48 am

I think thats what was happening in mine. I'd read about the broom handle trick, and I really didnt want to buy any special tools! I may try spinning next time!

#4133 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,213 posts

Posted 06 June 2020 - 07:51 am

The special tool is for Carpe members to use, you just pay for delivery postage, use it, then pass on to next member. Thinking on, not sure if it's only for 9'ers or if it can be used on all TDM forks.

Just checked and I sent it to Luke, in 2017.

#4134 butcher650

butcher650

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 06 June 2020 - 08:11 am

Ah I see, didn't realise! I'll bear that in mind next time. Just went out to shed to check the one I can't quite torque, and I'd stood it up in a tub just in case it leaked, and there was prob 3 or 4 drops in there, so better than I'd expected. If this dam rain stops today I'll get it back on bike and hopefully torqued. If not, and anymore oil dribbles, I'll open the top and just pop a few drops in when I can get it back on.

#4135 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• 5,085 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 06 June 2020 - 08:24 am

If you let me know what the end of the tool should be, I can easily make an end up on the dividing head by milling. I have a spare loaner tool for 900 forks, not for 850's also does anyone know the internal diameter of a 41mm fork tube of an 850.

Edited by leehenty, 06 June 2020 - 08:34 am.

2002 900 silver,oil pressure switch with brass 90 degree conversion, RG fork protectors. Wilburs custom made rear Shock with remote hydraulic preload and RG shocktube, Wilburs front springs. Scotoiler with a custom made swing arm delivery unit. Silicone radiator hoses.BMW 1150 handguards with Touratech extensions, Carbon Fibre yoke cover and fender extenda, MRA flip screen, Yamaha Engine bars, SW Motech Centre Stand, Kappa wingrack three box Luggage with E21's as option from the K960 boxes, Zumo 660 satnav on Touratech mount, Led Voltage monitor, Baglux tank cover, Clear LED Rear light, Aux LED brake light, BikeVis bullet LED's under front  nose,Stainless rear axle nut, stainless chain adjusters, stainless wheel spacers front and rear, Probolt Polished Stainless Flanged Hex engine screws, Polished stainless fairing screws, stainless disc bolts. Titanium brake pins front, Probolt Titanium Flanged Hex Front Caliper Bolts & Rear caliper slide pins Adventure Spec Tool tube under rear rack, left and right sides with custom alloy mounts.<p>Top Sellerie double gel pad seat. Carbon Fibre inner dash and side infill panels. Anodised black alloy swingarm pivot bolt covers and footpegs, Nano II Gear indicator.

#4136 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,213 posts

Posted 06 June 2020 - 08:31 am

Just had a quick search and it seems no-one has tried using the 9'er tool on a mk1 or a mk2.  No idea if it'll fit or not Lee.

#4137 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• 5,085 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 06 June 2020 - 08:40 am

Niner is 29mm AF hex, or a 3/4" UNF bolt head 1.1/8" but for the niner I made a nylon plug to fit at top to keep it straight and protect the fine threads. Obviously a 41mm leg has a smaller internal diameter. Easy to make and I'm happy to make up a set for the club if someone wants to be the keeper of the tools.
2002 900 silver,oil pressure switch with brass 90 degree conversion, RG fork protectors. Wilburs custom made rear Shock with remote hydraulic preload and RG shocktube, Wilburs front springs. Scotoiler with a custom made swing arm delivery unit. Silicone radiator hoses.BMW 1150 handguards with Touratech extensions, Carbon Fibre yoke cover and fender extenda, MRA flip screen, Yamaha Engine bars, SW Motech Centre Stand, Kappa wingrack three box Luggage with E21's as option from the K960 boxes, Zumo 660 satnav on Touratech mount, Led Voltage monitor, Baglux tank cover, Clear LED Rear light, Aux LED brake light, BikeVis bullet LED's under front  nose,Stainless rear axle nut, stainless chain adjusters, stainless wheel spacers front and rear, Probolt Polished Stainless Flanged Hex engine screws, Polished stainless fairing screws, stainless disc bolts. Titanium brake pins front, Probolt Titanium Flanged Hex Front Caliper Bolts & Rear caliper slide pins Adventure Spec Tool tube under rear rack, left and right sides with custom alloy mounts.<p>Top Sellerie double gel pad seat. Carbon Fibre inner dash and side infill panels. Anodised black alloy swingarm pivot bolt covers and footpegs, Nano II Gear indicator.

#4138 butcher650

butcher650

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 06 June 2020 - 08:40 am

I know my forks have been modified in the past (not by me), because mine have a big spacer at the top whereas in the haynes pictures, there wasn't. Also I had to use the old top bushes as the new ones were at least 2mm too small. They were also taller. Bottom ones were ok, and I put new ones in there.

Edited by butcher650, 06 June 2020 - 08:41 am.

#4139 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,213 posts

Posted 06 June 2020 - 08:43 am

Niner is 29mm AF hex, or a 3/4" UNF bolt head 1.1/8" but for the niner I made a nylon plug to fit at top to keep it straight and protect the fine threads. Obviously a 41mm leg has a smaller internal diameter. Easy to make and I'm happy to make up a set for the club if someone wants to be the keeper of the tools.

Just found this post Lee, measurements for mk1 tool are there but I dunno if they're useable measurements.

http://www.carpe-tdm...&hl=fork&page=2

#4140 Snowbird

Snowbird

Just won't go.

• 1,354 posts
  • Location:Often on another planet, but mostly south Cambs. (St.Neots)
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 06 June 2020 - 11:54 am

I made this years ago, I think it was for XT600 forks but may have been Z650 forks, anyhows the hex on the end is 27mm and it's about 450mm long.

If anyone needs it just ask, I am south cambs. (St.Neots).

Attached File  fork tool.jpg   256.55KB   0 downloads

Edit: If TDM forks are smaller hex needed there's no reason I couldn't weld another nut on the end, just need tube ID and hex size, could even do a stepped one if 850 & 900 are different.

Edited by Snowbird, 06 June 2020 - 11:56 am.

Current toys: '99 XT600E, 2000 4TX, '82 Princess 30DS (where the username comes from), No longer a '03 Fazer thou.

Save the planet, it's the only one with beer!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users