#1 chrisbee

chrisbee

Carpe Addict

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 21 February 2019 - 09:39 am

I have noticed a bit of play on the rear sprocket, it isn't the cush drive [rotational play] it is lateral play, so come to the conclusion that it is the sprocket carrier bearing.

Has anyone done a guide on how to change these??

or can anyone offer any advice??

TDM850 4tx

Is it worth doing all the rear wheel bearings? or just the one?

TIA

Chris.

#2 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 21 February 2019 - 09:48 am

They're a piece of proverbial to change Chris.  Tap old wan out and put new one in.  Tightening the axle will push it home, or you can tap it in using the old bearing.  If it falls out then check for wear on the carrier, the bearings have been known to spin in the carrier causing it to wear.

Have you been greasing the rear axle regularly ?

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#3 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 21 February 2019 - 06:00 pm

:wifgeni:  yep it's a simple bosh out and replace job, simples.

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#4 Matlock

Matlock

Carpe Citizen

• 3,913 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 22 February 2019 - 10:40 am

I'm not sure about the 850, but on the 900 I seem to recall that there's a "collar" that fits inside the sprocket carrier bearing that needs to be pushed out of the old bearing and refitted in the new one. If you've got the wheel out, I'd change all the bearings. They're not expensive and are easy to fit.

2002 TDM900 in glorious yellowNOW SOLD  :( 

2012 Honda Crosstourer VFR1200X. Hyperspeed tourer.

1990 XTZ750 in black, standard apart from Micron silencer. Mechanical restoration complete, cosmetic restoration next on the agenda.. NOW SOLD  :( 

Follow me on twitter

#5 hallrob1

hallrob1

has been here 4ever

• 1,098 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 22 February 2019 - 11:18 am

Here's a couple of links to a good quality kit for all of the bearings on the rear wheel, sorry, I'm not up on my 850 models!

Yamaha TDM 850 1992  1993 Genuine Koyo Rear Wheel Bearing  Seal Kit https://ebay.us/eIGRTm

Yamaha TDM850 (Euro) 1994  2001 Koyo Rear Wheel Bearing  Seal Kit https://ebay.us/gYQoyz

I've used this supplier for my last couple of bearing changes (on my 900 and a Tiger). I've had the sprocket carrier bearing fail on both my 900's and whilst the other bearings were fine I changed them all out at the same time.

1999 Gilera Runner 125SP, 2002 Piaggio X9 250, 2004 Bandit 600, 2005 TDM 900, 2007 Honda CB1300S, 2008 Tiger 1050, 1996 Triumph Sprint 900, 2006 Tiger 955i, 2018 Triumph Tiger Sport,  2023 Triumph Tiger 900, XJR1300, 2011 (2009) TDM 900, 

Farkles - Laser Duo Techs, MTC Stainless Exhausts, Laser Duo Techs, Power Commander and custom map, Tenere 1200 Handguards, Yamaha Heated Grips, MRA Vario screen, SW Motech Alurack,  Givi and Hepco and Becker top boxes, Givi Engine bars, Garmin Zumo XT

#6 chrisbee

chrisbee

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 22 February 2019 - 07:00 pm

Here's a couple of links to a good quality kit for all of the bearings on the rear wheel, sorry, I'm not up on my 850 models!

Yamaha TDM 850 1992  1993 Genuine Koyo Rear Wheel Bearing  Seal Kit https://ebay.us/eIGRTm[/size]

Yamaha TDM850 (Euro) 1994  2001 Koyo Rear Wheel Bearing  Seal Kit https://ebay.us/gYQoyz[/size]

I've used this supplier for my last couple of bearing changes (on my 900 and a Tiger). I've had the sprocket carrier bearing fail on both my 900's and whilst the other bearings were fine I changed them all out at the same time.[/size]

They are the exact same ones i was looking at

#7 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,735 posts

Posted 23 February 2019 - 09:18 am

I've used this supplier also on a number of occasions and Koyo are quality bearings.

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#8 SingleCylinder

SingleCylinder

seems to like Carpe

• 77 posts

Posted 24 February 2019 - 01:49 pm

My sprocket carrier was worn, used Araldite to hold the new bearing in place it worked fine. Will have to use heat and a press to remove this bearing when it needs replacement. Overall an easy job.

I'm not lazy, just energy efficient...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users