#1 muddy

muddy

full o shoite

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,969 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 31 December 2016 - 11:38 am

Riding home the other day early evening and though it was cold the roads looked OK. On the home leg, just as I was approaching a dip and a bend, I slowed for a car who then flashed me. Riding into the bend the front went twice, as did me bottom and I managed to slow and stand it up and crawl off the ice. I parked up and went to look. It looked like the mist had collected in the dip and turned to fine ice. It was treacherous. If I hadn't slowed for the car I'd have come off.

Locked up and went indoors. About 2 hours later I hear a loud thud. I knew immediately someone had crashed on that bend and went out to look. Sure enough a car had slid at speed and smashed into a parked car in that exact same spot. The driver either wasn't insured or was operating outside of the law, because he legged it according to a woman I spoke to. The car was a write off and pissing petrol.

I told the woman about my earlier incident and she told me earlier in the day a scooter boy came off on that spot. Luckily he wasn't hurt.

Be careful lads.

Edited by muddy, 31 December 2016 - 11:42 am.

Blue 04 TDM,PR2 rear Roadsmart front, Yamaha topox, Givi E360 panniers, PL pannier holders, BMW handguards, Yamaha touring screen, Scottoiler, 12v ciggie socket, carbon core HT leads

Gorn :sorry:

#2 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 31 December 2016 - 02:42 pm

Riding home the other day early evening and though it was cold the roads looked OK. On the home leg, just as I was approaching a dip and a bend, I slowed for a car who then flashed me. Riding into the bend the front went twice, as did me bottom and I managed to slow and stand it up and crawl off the ice. I parked up and went to look. It looked like the mist had collected in the dip and turned to fine ice. It was treacherous. If I hadn't slowed for the car I'd have come off.

Locked up and went indoors. About 2 hours later I hear a loud thud. I knew immediately someone had crashed on that bend and went out to look. Sure enough a car had slid at speed and smashed into a parked car in that exact same spot. The driver either wasn't insured or was operating outside of the law, because he legged it according to a woman I spoke to. The car was a write off and pissing petrol.

I told the woman about my earlier incident and she told me earlier in the day a scooter boy came off on that spot. Luckily he wasn't hurt.

Be careful lads.

:good:   Glad you're okay.

It's that funny in between weather.... If the air is relatively still then you will find temperature inversions (cold air below warmer air) and frozen dips are common. The low sun never gets a chance to thaw some parts of roads which are otherwise clear and dry.....

The best advice I ever got was to always ride at 70% of your ability (never needing survival reactions), and in dubious weather be extra careful besides.

....having said that, to non bikers we seem like lunatics most of the time regardless of how well we ride.....I got chastised by a bus driver lastnight who was stationary when I filtered past him at traffic lights, and as soon as the lights changed he set off sharpish to leave me trapped by a  traffic island (after swerving across my path)...then at the next lights he pulled alongside me and shouted that it was bikers like me who gave bikers a bad name....mind you, the traffic was very heavy and he was having to drive a huge bus through some of Edinburgh's narrower streets so he was definitely in battle mode !

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#3 drewpy

drewpy

has been here 4ever

• 1,753 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 31 December 2016 - 04:59 pm

those dips can trap the unwary.

I remember going to stafford classic bike show in April on a crisp morning.

went down a misty dip in the road and I came out covered in ice. It was sunny and dry day too.

"As I Lay Rubber down to street, I pray for traction I can keep. But if I skid and begin to slide, please dear god protect my ride"

Mods; Oil pressure switch, neoprene rear inner mudguard, scottoiler, highway pegs,  fenda extenda, 1999 carbs and airbox, Kais suspension setup, later clutch springs, LED lamps, Metmachex swingarm, Hagon Shock, Oxford heated grips, 4 way fused accessory Bus, 17" 3CV front wheel, Michellin R6 tyres, GPS speedo, 5' ignition advance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users