#1 drewpy

drewpy

has been here 4ever

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,759 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 07 February 2023 - 12:50 pm

Off to the IAM lecture tomorrow night on the "science of being seen".

Should be an interesting one too run by Kevin Williams founder of survival skills.

"As I Lay Rubber down to street, I pray for traction I can keep. But if I skid and begin to slide, please dear god protect my ride"

Mods; Oil pressure switch, neoprene rear inner mudguard, scottoiler, highway pegs,  fenda extenda, 1999 carbs and airbox, Kais suspension setup, later clutch springs, LED lamps, Metmachex swingarm, Hagon Shock, Oxford heated grips, 4 way fused accessory Bus, 17" 3CV front wheel, Michellin R6 tyres, GPS speedo, 5' ignition advance.

#2 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• 5,094 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 09 February 2023 - 04:33 pm

The cagers still aim for you
2002 900 silver,oil pressure switch with brass 90 degree conversion, RG fork protectors. Wilburs custom made rear Shock with remote hydraulic preload and RG shocktube, Wilburs front springs. Scotoiler with a custom made swing arm delivery unit. Silicone radiator hoses.BMW 1150 handguards with Touratech extensions, Carbon Fibre yoke cover and fender extenda, MRA flip screen, Yamaha Engine bars, SW Motech Centre Stand, Kappa wingrack three box Luggage with E21's as option from the K960 boxes, Zumo 660 satnav on Touratech mount, Led Voltage monitor, Baglux tank cover, Clear LED Rear light, Aux LED brake light, BikeVis bullet LED's under front  nose,Stainless rear axle nut, stainless chain adjusters, stainless wheel spacers front and rear, Probolt Polished Stainless Flanged Hex engine screws, Polished stainless fairing screws, stainless disc bolts. Titanium brake pins front, Probolt Titanium Flanged Hex Front Caliper Bolts & Rear caliper slide pins Adventure Spec Tool tube under rear rack, left and right sides with custom alloy mounts.<p>Top Sellerie double gel pad seat. Carbon Fibre inner dash and side infill panels. Anodised black alloy swingarm pivot bolt covers and footpegs, Nano II Gear indicator.

#3 Sphere

Sphere

really likes Carpe

• 81 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 09 February 2023 - 09:00 pm

Off to the IAM lecture tomorrow night on the "science of being seen".

Should be an interesting one too run by Kevin Williams founder of survival skills.

How did it go?

Did a lot of IAM stuff in the past, there's always something in these things for everyone. How much depends on the quality of the content and how it's delivered.

Hope you got something from it.

The best thing about being old is we did all our stupid stuff before the Internet was invented, so there’s no proof.

#4 drewpy

drewpy

has been here 4ever

• 1,759 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 10 February 2023 - 03:15 pm

yes, its was great.

He does some work for the Transport Research Lab too.

the latest science is;

1) yellow or orange headlamps (use velcro so night time not affected) or use american system of permanently on indicators with a dual filament bulb

2) use a colour wheel for clothing. if its Autumn, don't wear yellow, pink is the preferred colour the same as 900 owners, summer, darker colours to contrast 

3) wear it with sleeves so peeps see a human not a shape

4) DRLs create a light triangle for car drivers to notice and ascertain speed approach better (people are better at judging speed for wide things than tall and thin things as they approach)

5) If they see you 800 meters away, they will forget you after 4 seconds (this is human nature for all of us TBF) 

6) use a Z pattern route if behind a car at junctions to better see cars pulling out and they see you. that's ride to nearside position 1 then out to 3

7) 70% accidents occur at junctions, 35% forgot you were there and 35% didn't see due to modern car designs with fat A and B pillars. Saccades effect too, the faster the head moves, the bigger the "blocks" that the brain makes up with assumptions

8) the eye only focuses on a 5' plane, the rest is blurred so the brain makes up the rest to "unblur" it. if your not in that focus, your not there

so reality is not what the brain interprets but makes a lot of stuff up

"As I Lay Rubber down to street, I pray for traction I can keep. But if I skid and begin to slide, please dear god protect my ride"

Mods; Oil pressure switch, neoprene rear inner mudguard, scottoiler, highway pegs,  fenda extenda, 1999 carbs and airbox, Kais suspension setup, later clutch springs, LED lamps, Metmachex swingarm, Hagon Shock, Oxford heated grips, 4 way fused accessory Bus, 17" 3CV front wheel, Michellin R6 tyres, GPS speedo, 5' ignition advance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users