#1 Pedro

Pedro

Carpe groupie

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPip
  • 266 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 06 June 2020 - 08:24 pm

Is there a trick to removing the stator(3vd) without breaking the puller? I've tried heat, wd40 but no joy. Its now under puller tension till tomorrow. I'm pretty sure the three Allen bolts inside don't need to be removed beforehand, am I right? Ill have another go tomorrow, after that its find a garage with a mahoosive puller.Thanks.

#2 Snowbird

Snowbird

Just won't go.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,349 posts
  • Location:Often on another planet, but mostly south Cambs. (St.Neots)
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 06 June 2020 - 08:40 pm

With tapers often a sharp tap with a hammer while under puller pressure does the trick, I do mean "sharp tap" not "whelt the living crap out of it".

Current toys: '99 XT600E, 2000 4TX, '82 Princess 30DS (where the username comes from), No longer a '03 Fazer thou.

Save the planet, it's the only one with beer!

#3 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 06 June 2020 - 09:13 pm

Took a fair amount of heat and a good few taps (naughty I know but needs must. lol) to get my mk1 rotor off.  Helps if the puller is perfectly positioned, if it's slightly off centre it won't do the job as easily.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#4 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,735 posts

Posted 07 June 2020 - 07:36 am

Yes, say a prayer this morning before you attempt to pull it off, seems some peeps have more trouble than others and to answer your question, no those 3 screws hold in the back plate which will come off with the rotor, you may expect a rather large bang..

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#5 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 07 June 2020 - 08:15 am

Yes get some spare shreddies ready for the sonic boom. It will come off just don't rush/bodge it and a little heat.
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#6 Pedro

Pedro

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 07 June 2020 - 08:30 am

Fork me! Sounds like I'm in for an exiting Sunday. I'll try more heat and wear a crash helmet. Cheers all!

#7 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• 5,080 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 07 June 2020 - 05:09 pm

I made my puller from a slab of 25mm steel. Even then it resisted (niner)
2002 900 silver,oil pressure switch with brass 90 degree conversion, RG fork protectors. Wilburs custom made rear Shock with remote hydraulic preload and RG shocktube, Wilburs front springs. Scotoiler with a custom made swing arm delivery unit. Silicone radiator hoses.BMW 1150 handguards with Touratech extensions, Carbon Fibre yoke cover and fender extenda, MRA flip screen, Yamaha Engine bars, SW Motech Centre Stand, Kappa wingrack three box Luggage with E21's as option from the K960 boxes, Zumo 660 satnav on Touratech mount, Led Voltage monitor, Baglux tank cover, Clear LED Rear light, Aux LED brake light, BikeVis bullet LED's under front  nose,Stainless rear axle nut, stainless chain adjusters, stainless wheel spacers front and rear, Probolt Polished Stainless Flanged Hex engine screws, Polished stainless fairing screws, stainless disc bolts. Titanium brake pins front, Probolt Titanium Flanged Hex Front Caliper Bolts & Rear caliper slide pins Adventure Spec Tool tube under rear rack, left and right sides with custom alloy mounts.<p>Top Sellerie double gel pad seat. Carbon Fibre inner dash and side infill panels. Anodised black alloy swingarm pivot bolt covers and footpegs, Nano II Gear indicator.

#8 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 08 June 2020 - 08:27 am

Mine broke my puller. I took it to a bike shop, and it broke their puller.

But the only reason I was removing it was to get a good view of the keyway so that I could line the crank up in the proper position before reassembly, and I could actually see the keyway when I removed the bolt, so I winged it and put it all back together.

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#9 MickC

MickC

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 404 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 08 June 2020 - 04:35 pm

Took mine to the local car garage,or at least the wife did ,they did it straight away,no idea what they used.

#10 Pedro

Pedro

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 08 June 2020 - 10:10 pm

Still no joy. I've been told I can split the crankcases with the balancer shafts in place ( at least one anyway) so I'll try that and take the crank/stator to a shop. Good job the camchain is on the other side otherwise that would be a pain if you ever need to change one.

#11 Pedro

Pedro

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 12 June 2020 - 01:29 pm

After being told you can split the cases without removing the balancer shafts, that's what I did. Maybe my puller wasn't up to the job because one of the ears started cracking and that's with heat, tapping with hammer, swearing in three languages.  :unsure2:  :unsure2:  I'd still like to take the stator off as I want to be able to spin the crank on lathe on something to clean a big end journal which spun the shells and caused the engine to seize. At least now I know if I ever have to take my own engine apart, the first thing I'll do is get a heavy duty puller or take it to a garage and get them to take stator off.

#12 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts

Posted 12 June 2020 - 04:23 pm

After being told you can split the cases without removing the balancer shafts, that's what I did. Maybe my puller wasn't up to the job because one of the ears started cracking and that's with heat, tapping with hammer, swearing in three languages.  :unsure2:  :unsure2:  I'd still like to take the stator off as I want to be able to spin the crank on lathe on something to clean a big end journal which spun the shells and caused the engine to seize. At least now I know if I ever have to take my own engine apart, the first thing I'll do is get a heavy duty puller or take it to a garage and get them to take stator off.

Just to save possible embarrassment at a garage, the part attached to the crank is the rotor. The stator is in the side cover which goes over it. Together the stator and rotor form the alternator (which produces an alternating voltage). The rotor rotates, the stator is static, that's how I remember it anyhow

#13 Pedro

Pedro

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 13 June 2020 - 07:35 pm

That's probably why I couldn't get it off!;I'm swearing at the wrong part! Thanks for the heads-up.

#14 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts

Posted 13 June 2020 - 10:45 pm

That's probably why I couldn't get it off!;I'm swearing at the wrong part! Thanks for the heads-up.

:rotflmmfao: :rotflmmfao:

#15 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,735 posts

Posted 14 June 2020 - 07:44 am

:lol: funny

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#16 MickC

MickC

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 14 June 2020 - 12:53 pm

You will need the rotor off for when you reasemble as you wont be able to see the alignment marks for the top balancer shaft with it still in place,if I remember correctly,

#17 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts

Posted 14 June 2020 - 01:07 pm

You will need the rotor off for when you reasemble as you wont be able to see the alignment marks for the top balancer shaft with it still in place,if I remember correctly,

That was my fear too, but I managed to see the keyway under the bolt and calculated the positioning relative to that. I got away with it but it's not ideal

#18 MickC

MickC

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 14 June 2020 - 05:55 pm

That was my fear too, but I managed to see the keyway under the bolt and calculated the positioning relative to that. I got away with it but it's not ideal

Clever fecker would have worried me that I had got it wrong.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users