#1 chrisbee

chrisbee

Carpe Addict

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 18 February 2019 - 01:34 pm

can anyone recommend some daylight running lights?

How/where did you mount them??

pics would be good

TIA

Chris

850 4tx

#2 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 18 February 2019 - 02:28 pm

Loads of info on here Chris, just use the search :good:

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#3 JMC

JMC

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 18 February 2019 - 05:28 pm

Yep lots of info on here but I like to use Google images to get ideas for that kind of stuff :)
https://www.google.c...vf-ie&prmd=ivsn

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!"
Hunter S. Thompson.

#4 jpor

jpor

seems to like Carpe

• 72 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 18 February 2019 - 10:05 pm

I bought some of China's finest off ebay, they were fine

The only thing is I had the Givi engine bars at the time and found there wasn't a super intuitive way to mount them and they ended up too low down

I can't give you a comprehensive break down on durability as some genius in an ix35 decided he wasn't happy that I was making better progress than him while filtering through London and deliberately rammed me as I passed in front of his stationary car stuck in traffic, the only casualty being the fog light. I sure was happy that I'd paid £12.50 for the chinese ones rather than however much those touratech etc ones go for

I now have the Polish RM-G engine bars, and am going to get another set of engine lights for those. Those bars come up a little higher so might be slightly better.

Cars noticably got out of my way and put their phones down more readily coming home along the A2 when I had the lights on vs when they were off so as a safety feature (intended purpose) they did great. I wasn't blown away with their performance at actually lighting stuff up. One of the dual carriageways as I get nearer home is not actually lit so you forge your own path with your headlight. I imagine this is mainly due to them being mounted quite low rather than necessarily performing poorly

#5 TKH

TKH

full o shoite

• 2,199 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 21 February 2019 - 01:27 pm

I've mounted my current ones on the crash bars. I had another pair just under and to the side of the headlamp until. I replaced the screw for the front corner of the fairing and fitted a brass bolt so I could bolt them on. Not sure whether I'll put them back on as I don't think they add much more than I've already got. Time will tell.

#6 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 23 February 2019 - 09:50 am

When we're talking about DRL's it's a good idea to think of them as lights with a dispersed beam pattern. I've seen some people fit spotlights as DRL's, run them all day long and cause blinding in dull lighting conditions. DRL's need to be dispersed, and if possible, reduced brightness down to 50% at night time, or turned off at night completely.

There are cheap dimming controllers available on eBay,  EG - https://www.ebay.co....O3Jq20KGEW2MjNc

I've used one of those on a couple of my bikes, the turn signal also flashes the DRL together with the indicator on the same side. The dimming effect is controlled by a switch on my KTM, and by a light sensor on my TDM. You need to be using 2-wire DRL's, IE not units which have built in features switched by a 3rd wire, in order to make use of the controller's dimming feature.

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#7 JMC

JMC

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 23 February 2019 - 06:12 pm

can anyone recommend some daylight running lights?
How/where did you mount them??

pics would be good
TIA
Chris

850 4tx

Ive 2 led spots low down and 2 tiny round led's hidden in the 2 little vent holes at the bottom of nose fairing
I prefer to be seen as I ride 90% of the time in daylight hours
Sorry if pics appear sideways I dunno why that isAttached File  20190223_180303.jpg   48.62KB   0 downloads

Attached Files

Edited by JMC, 23 February 2019 - 06:14 pm.

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!"
Hunter S. Thompson.

#8 Andy25

Andy25

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 23 February 2019 - 07:18 pm

Changed mine today .put. a set of these on

Look bright enough

Cable pretty short
I've put them on Crash bars so had to add about a foot of cable to each
For ease of fitting but for about a Tenner from ebay can't complain
They do seem very light / plastic so we will see how they last

Attached File  20190223_152506.jpg   50.36KB   0 downloads

Edited by Andy25, 23 February 2019 - 07:24 pm.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users