31 replies to this topic

#21 JMC

JMC

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 257 posts
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 09 March 2020 - 11:40 pm

Well well I didn't expect to be back in this thread but here we are :)
Had a bit of spluttering today and found a bit of arcing from rhs ht lead to frame so while sorting that I found a loose wire that caused the problems in the first post, so fixed both issues and she's running sweet again, can't wait for the next problem lol

Attached Files

Edited by JMC, 09 March 2020 - 11:41 pm.

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!"
Hunter S. Thompson.

#22 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 10 March 2020 - 12:23 am

Well well I didn't expect to be back in this thread but here we are :)
Had a bit of spluttering today and found a bit of arcing from rhs ht lead to frame so while sorting that I found a loose wire that caused the problems in the first post, so fixed both issues and she's running sweet again, can't wait for the next problem lol

good detective skills there.  i hope ya checked / cleaned every plug and socket whilst ya were in there.

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#23 JMC

JMC

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 10 March 2020 - 08:46 am

good detective skills there.  i hope ya checked / cleaned every plug and socket whilst ya were in there.

Yep pulled apart every connector and cleaned and greased up everything, I cleaned contacts on coils before refitting, snipped a bit off each ht lead and taped up about 4" of leads with elec tape to prevent any further arcing, that's a temp fix as I need to source some new ht leads and I prefer to replace rather than repair when it comes to bits like that.

Commuting every day does take it's toll on bikes she needs a really good clean and polish soon :)

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!"
Hunter S. Thompson.

#24 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

• 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.

Posted 10 March 2020 - 11:33 am

Yep pulled apart every connector and cleaned and greased up everything, I cleaned contacts on coils before refitting, snipped a bit off each ht lead and taped up about 4" of leads with elec tape to prevent any further arcing, that's a temp fix as I need to source some new ht leads and I prefer to replace rather than repair when it comes to bits like that.

Commuting every day does take it's toll on bikes she needs a really good clean and polish soon :)

ya i did the same and replaced the HT leads with better quality stuff that is more pliable and easier to work with.

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

#25 JMC

JMC

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 10 March 2020 - 01:16 pm

ya i did the same and replaced the HT leads with better quality stuff that is more pliable and easier to work with.

What's the spec on that stuff you used or indeed the oem spec, it it sized or how is it measured ?

Hunter S. Thompson.

#26 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

• 12,211 posts

Posted 10 March 2020 - 05:12 pm

What's the spec on that stuff you used or indeed the oem spec, it it sized or how is it measured ?

Use the search facility and type in Magnecor

#27 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 11 March 2020 - 09:27 am

I called Magnecor and ya man knew exactly what to send, was'nt expensive either..

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#28 JMC

JMC

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 11 March 2020 - 09:47 am

Been doing some digging and I'll prob be able to pick up some standard 7mm locally for less than half the price of getting it sent from the uk and I'll wrap it with some amalgamating tape as well.

Thanks to everyone for the help as usual it's great to have this forum here  :good:

Hunter S. Thompson.

#29 Nig

Nig

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 217 posts
  • TDM model: 2005

Posted 11 March 2020 - 02:59 pm

Just on HT leads - Got some snazzy silicone ones (7mm OD) over Xmas and clagged them on - Loads of bother since. When screwing them in to the Coil and Cap they where going all the way down and you could feel them tightening up - Smashing i thought.

Twice now i have had a Pot off - when stripped down the leads were barely screwed over the coarse threaded pin on the coil and you could just pull them out.

Done a bench test over the week - it appears the silicone is that soft that appears to be getting "threaded" as you tightening it - But no - it is not forming a thread at all and appears to be "relaxing" out. With vibration of motor its just accelerated the problem when fitted to bike.

New PVC HT purchased last week (7mm OD) when rechecked at the weekend they are still tightened right up. 

Only paid £6 for a meter of the silicone ones so it could be that they are just shite. - Very strange but true. 

Aluminium Welding with Parkinson,s

#30 MickC

MickC

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 404 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 11 March 2020 - 04:03 pm

Nig

My MK1 did the same 7mm silicone leads with the fibre center went tight but after a few months started spluttering and when I looked one lead was able to slide about 10mm in and out so pushed them both in again and taped the ends to the coil with amalgamateing tape no bother since.To be fair the two MK2s have the same and no bother

#31 Nig

Nig

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 217 posts
  • TDM model: 2005

Posted 12 March 2020 - 10:46 am

Pleased I'm not the only one MIck - i was starting to doubt me "macnic" skills.

10:4 on the amalg tape. When i put the new PVC ones on, i also fully covered the lead / coil and sparky cap with amalgy tape as per suggestion on previous thread. 

Aluminium Welding with Parkinson,s

#32 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

• 12,211 posts

Posted 13 March 2020 - 02:46 pm

Pleased I'm not the only one MIck - i was starting to doubt me "macnic" skills.

10:4 on the amalg tape. When i put the new PVC ones on, i also fully covered the lead / coil and sparky cap with amalgy tape as per suggestion on previous thread. 

Yep i thought this cud be a possibility so i used self amalgamating tape to stop them winding out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users