• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Quadsey

Quadsey

enuff posts to fill a 50cc

• 52 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 07 March 2020 - 09:14 pm

So on the way home today and the bike just cut out when i stopped at a roundabout. The bike wouldn't start again, dash would light up but nothing happening when i press the start button.

There was an error code of 11 where the odometer readout should be.

It was suggested to me to put the bike in second gear and roll it back and forth. I did and the bike started.

Obviously I want this issue solved, any suggestions of the culprit?

"Touch not, less ye be touched" -Brodie 1995

#2 Quadsey

Quadsey

• 52 posts

Posted 07 March 2020 - 09:21 pm

Attached File  error code.jpg   67.24KB   0 downloads

#3 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 08 March 2020 - 12:41 am

How Ya  Quadsey,   error code 11 is cylinder identification sensor.  I don't know what to suggest so sit toight and see what me bredren have to say on the matter.  I would be considering disconnecting the battery and cleaning every single electrical plug and socket on the bike.

https://www.tdm-yama...ex.php?page=ERR

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#4 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 08 March 2020 - 09:58 am

Long time ago had the same issue on the 9r, ended up buying a 2nd hand cylinder identification sensor to sort it out...

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#5 Quadsey

Quadsey

• 52 posts

Posted 08 March 2020 - 12:47 pm

Not sure if it's connected to the cutting out issue but I've recently noticed that the starter relay is clicking intermittently when i go to start the bike. As in when i turn the key i'll hear what i assume is the pump kick in for a second or two then i press the start and I'll just get a click. couple my trys and the bike will start. Now sometimes the bike starts first time (specifically if hot, like after stopping to refuel).

Edited by Quadsey, 08 March 2020 - 12:49 pm.

#6 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

• 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.

Posted 08 March 2020 - 12:58 pm

Not sure if it's connected to the cutting out issue but I've recently noticed that the starter relay is clicking intermittently when i go to start the bike. As in when i turn the key i'll hear what i assume is the pump kick in for a second or two then i press the start and I'll just get a click. couple my trys and the bike will start. Now sometimes the bike starts first time (specifically if hot, like after stopping to refuel).

i wonder how efficient yer battery is?

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

#7 Quadsey

Quadsey

• 52 posts

Posted 08 March 2020 - 01:31 pm

i wonder how efficient yer battery is?

Seems fine, I'm new to auto electrics but its reading approx 13.5 and dropping to 12.5 on start up.

#8 Quadsey

Quadsey

• 52 posts

Posted 09 March 2020 - 07:42 pm

UPDATE:

Bike wouldn't start at all this morning. There is a clicking noise coming from the starter relay.

Could this be the source of my troubles? Don't wanna replace it if the problem lies elsewhere. I'm just guessing at the minute, any help appreciated.

#9 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 09 March 2020 - 07:52 pm

Difficult to know for sure, rocking it and started, then later a clicking from the starter relay and not turning over could be related to the starter motor, or the battery.  Relay clicking means it's doing it's job.  If it's clicking multiple times then could be a flat battery.

You could try powering it with a battery booster and see if it starts, or a jump start would do.  You can use the starter relay terminals for this but be careful not to connect the leads from the jump, also don't try starting it for too long as it can fry the battery.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#10 Quadsey

Quadsey

• 52 posts

Posted 09 March 2020 - 09:40 pm

Difficult to know for sure, rocking it and started, then later a clicking from the starter relay and not turning over could be related to the starter motor, or the battery.  Relay clicking means it's doing it's job.  If it's clicking multiple times then could be a flat battery.

You could try powering it with a battery booster and see if it starts, or a jump start would do.  You can use the starter relay terminals for this but be careful not to connect the leads from the jump, also don't try starting it for too long as it can fry the battery.

I was thinking the fact the relay was making noise could be pointing to something else. 

#11 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

• 12,211 posts

Posted 09 March 2020 - 10:53 pm

I was thinking the fact the relay was making noise could be pointing to something else. 

worth checking the battery is up to it.

#12 Snowbird

Snowbird

Just won't go.

• 1,349 posts
  • Location:Often on another planet, but mostly south Cambs. (St.Neots)
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 10 March 2020 - 07:44 am

A relay can click but not make good contact inside if the contact faces are burnt, once they start to get burnt the resistance goes up and they get hotter each time making it worse, I know bike ones tend to fail completely but I've had to fix a few old lucas ones that were virtually burnt away entirely, you ever tried bump starting a boat?

Current toys: '99 XT600E, 2000 4TX, '82 Princess 30DS (where the username comes from), No longer a '03 Fazer thou.

Save the planet, it's the only one with beer!

#13 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

• 12,211 posts

Posted 10 March 2020 - 11:34 am

A relay can click but not make good contact inside if the contact faces are burnt, once they start to get burnt the resistance goes up and they get hotter each time making it worse, I know bike ones tend to fail completely but I've had to fix a few old lucas ones that were virtually burnt away entirely, you ever tried bump starting a boat?

ya down hill in second gear.

#14 Snowbird

Snowbird

Just won't go.

• 1,349 posts
  • Location:Often on another planet, but mostly south Cambs. (St.Neots)
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 10 March 2020 - 01:20 pm

Downhill? Must have been a water skiing lake.

Current toys: '99 XT600E, 2000 4TX, '82 Princess 30DS (where the username comes from), No longer a '03 Fazer thou.

Save the planet, it's the only one with beer!

#15 TKH

TKH

full o shoite

• 2,199 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 10 March 2020 - 01:43 pm

Downhill? Must have been a water skiing lake.

Waterfall?

#16 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• 5,080 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 10 March 2020 - 08:57 pm

Cylinder identification sensor is on left of cam cover at front as you sit on bike. It's worth knowing that the speed sensor is the same type and can get you home in a pinch, but only on non abs bikes.
2002 900 silver,oil pressure switch with brass 90 degree conversion, RG fork protectors. Wilburs custom made rear Shock with remote hydraulic preload and RG shocktube, Wilburs front springs. Scotoiler with a custom made swing arm delivery unit. Silicone radiator hoses.BMW 1150 handguards with Touratech extensions, Carbon Fibre yoke cover and fender extenda, MRA flip screen, Yamaha Engine bars, SW Motech Centre Stand, Kappa wingrack three box Luggage with E21's as option from the K960 boxes, Zumo 660 satnav on Touratech mount, Led Voltage monitor, Baglux tank cover, Clear LED Rear light, Aux LED brake light, BikeVis bullet LED's under front  nose,Stainless rear axle nut, stainless chain adjusters, stainless wheel spacers front and rear, Probolt Polished Stainless Flanged Hex engine screws, Polished stainless fairing screws, stainless disc bolts. Titanium brake pins front, Probolt Titanium Flanged Hex Front Caliper Bolts & Rear caliper slide pins Adventure Spec Tool tube under rear rack, left and right sides with custom alloy mounts.<p>Top Sellerie double gel pad seat. Carbon Fibre inner dash and side infill panels. Anodised black alloy swingarm pivot bolt covers and footpegs, Nano II Gear indicator.

#17 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 11 March 2020 - 09:19 am

Cylinder identification sensor is on left of cam cover at front as you sit on bike. It's worth knowing that the speed sensor is the same type and can get you home in a pinch, but only on non abs bikes.

Bike runs a bit ruff and it's slow speed only, a sure way of testing though, swap them around..

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#18 Quadsey

Quadsey

• 52 posts

Posted 11 March 2020 - 12:18 pm

Going into the shop friday. I just don't have the time at the minute to sort it myself. I'll pop up an update once i know exactly what it was.

#19 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 11 March 2020 - 12:22 pm

What about the engine earth wire ? Try putting a jumper cable between the battery negative and one of the engine cases.  There is a relay under the tank which has a known problem on the connector. One heavy gauge wire corrodes at the spade terminal, but I think when that goes you don't even hear the fuel pump come on

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#20 poppykle

poppykle

really likes Carpe

• 83 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 17 March 2020 - 03:47 am

Starter clicking sounds very similar to my problem last week. Turned out to be the battery, replaced battery and went on a 900km ride for the weekend. Sort of happy days except it rained and the shop did not connect my heated grips :(. All sorted now. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users