• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Quadsey

Quadsey

enuff posts to fill a 50cc

• 52 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 20 July 2020 - 01:47 pm

I've noticed a grinding type noise coming from the rear wheel. The noise is only present when I'm going really slow or you turn the wheel by hand when it's up on the centre stand. The noise isn't constant either, as i rotate the wheel it's happening periodically on a full turn and never consistently at one point of the rotation.

Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated.

"Touch not, less ye be touched" -Brodie 1995

#2 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 20 July 2020 - 02:36 pm

Sounds like bearings.  Could be the sprocket carrier bearing, they sometimes rotate inside the carrier.  Deffo sounds like a rear wheel off inspection is needed.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#3 drewpy

drewpy

has been here 4ever

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 1,754 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 20 July 2020 - 03:17 pm

yes, bearings can make a "cracking" sound too 

Edited by drewpy, 20 July 2020 - 03:17 pm.

"As I Lay Rubber down to street, I pray for traction I can keep. But if I skid and begin to slide, please dear god protect my ride"

Mods; Oil pressure switch, neoprene rear inner mudguard, scottoiler, highway pegs,  fenda extenda, 1999 carbs and airbox, Kais suspension setup, later clutch springs, LED lamps, Metmachex swingarm, Hagon Shock, Oxford heated grips, 4 way fused accessory Bus, 17" 3CV front wheel, Michellin R6 tyres, GPS speedo, 5' ignition advance.

#4 Matlock

Matlock

Carpe Citizen

• 3,913 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 20 July 2020 - 07:32 pm

+1 for sprocket carrier bearing. Or possibly chain/sprockets too; if the noise is not matching wheel rotation, is it matching chain rotation?

2002 TDM900 in glorious yellowNOW SOLD  :( 

2012 Honda Crosstourer VFR1200X. Hyperspeed tourer.

1990 XTZ750 in black, standard apart from Micron silencer. Mechanical restoration complete, cosmetic restoration next on the agenda.. NOW SOLD  :( 

Follow me on twitter

#5 Quadsey

Quadsey

• 52 posts

Posted 20 July 2020 - 07:40 pm

+1 for sprocket carrier bearing. Or possibly chain/sprockets too; if the noise is not matching wheel rotation, is it matching chain rotation?Wouldn't have thought to check the chain rotation. Think the wheel will be coming off for an inspection either way. Thanks for the suggestions, always nice to have a lead to look into.

#6 Quadsey

Quadsey

• 52 posts

Posted 24 July 2020 - 01:37 pm

Anyone know roughly how much I'm looking to get bearings done? Wheels bearings and sprocket carrier bearing. A breakdown rather then an over all price if possible. TIA

#7 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 24 July 2020 - 06:29 pm

Plenty on ebay, i've used Koyo bearings.

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#8 Snowbird

Snowbird

Just won't go.

• 1,349 posts
  • Location:Often on another planet, but mostly south Cambs. (St.Neots)
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 24 July 2020 - 06:36 pm

Once the bearings are out they will be a lot cheaper from a local bearing supplier, most have a standard number on them, I'm always wary of cheap ebay bearings as there are a lot of fakes about with soft balls marked up as koyo/nsk and the like.

Current toys: '99 XT600E, 2000 4TX, '82 Princess 30DS (where the username comes from), No longer a '03 Fazer thou.

Save the planet, it's the only one with beer!

#9 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,105 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 24 July 2020 - 06:47 pm

Bearing sizes are in knowledgebase.

Koyo are OEM fitment for head bearing and prolly others.
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#10 Quadsey

Quadsey

• 52 posts

Posted 24 July 2020 - 07:31 pm

Am i right in saying that there's a specific tool for removing them? Is this a weekend/youtube mechanic level job?

#11 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 24 July 2020 - 07:48 pm

No specific tool required, just a drift (maybe a long robust screwdriver) to knock the old bearings out.  Depending on yer skills and success in drifting them out, prolly half a days job at most.

There is a tube that runs inbetween the wheel bearings on the left and on the right, you might need to move this slightly so you can get the drift on the edge of the bearing.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#12 drewpy

drewpy

has been here 4ever

• 1,754 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 24 July 2020 - 08:07 pm

i weld on a washer to the inner bering face and drift out right through the middle.

the heat loosens it and saves trying to drift the bearing out square tapping all around the circumference

"As I Lay Rubber down to street, I pray for traction I can keep. But if I skid and begin to slide, please dear god protect my ride"

Mods; Oil pressure switch, neoprene rear inner mudguard, scottoiler, highway pegs,  fenda extenda, 1999 carbs and airbox, Kais suspension setup, later clutch springs, LED lamps, Metmachex swingarm, Hagon Shock, Oxford heated grips, 4 way fused accessory Bus, 17" 3CV front wheel, Michellin R6 tyres, GPS speedo, 5' ignition advance.

#13 steve27bha

steve27bha

needs a 2nd hobby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 780 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 24 July 2020 - 09:09 pm

If you have not done this or a similar job before you need to be aware of a few things.

1. There are some hefty forces involved. e.g. the rear axle nut torque is 150Nm

2. Care is needed to get the rear disc back between the pads

3. Do NOT mix up the three collars spacing the wheel and carrier

4. Apply force only to the outer race when fitting the new bearings

5. Check a parts fiche or the shop manual for what goes where

- and if you have an ABS model take care undoing the rear sensor from the hub cover.

A YouTube demo seems a good idea. DelBoy does good ones and here is his for the rear bearings:-

That uses hammer and drift; he has another using a fancy puller on his 'Busa project.

Good luck.

Edited by steve27bha, 24 July 2020 - 09:12 pm.

TDM900A 2008/09 in use, with     gallery_179098_391_770.jpg sml_gallery_179098_391_1145.jpg  gallery_179098_391_1206.jpg gallery_179098_391_253.jpg gallery_179098_391_82.jpg gallery_179098_391_725.gif gallery_179098_391_797.jpg gallery_179098_391_1396.jpg gallery_179098_391_501.jpg gallery_179098_391_316.jpg  gallery_179098_391_1768.jpg gallery_179098_391_106.jpggallery_179098_391_2170.jpg gallery_179098_391_1373.jpg

CBX750FE in reserve; Cagiva N90 125 now rebuilt & in use.

#14 dablik

dablik

• 10,735 posts

Posted 25 July 2020 - 12:54 pm

The easiest method for me and the cheapest i have found is an M12 Anchor bolt, tighten it in situ then drift it out from the other side, takes seconds.

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#15 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• 5,080 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 25 July 2020 - 05:42 pm

helps to warm up the housings with a hot air gun too. and drop new bearings in freezer

2002 900 silver,oil pressure switch with brass 90 degree conversion, RG fork protectors. Wilburs custom made rear Shock with remote hydraulic preload and RG shocktube, Wilburs front springs. Scotoiler with a custom made swing arm delivery unit. Silicone radiator hoses.BMW 1150 handguards with Touratech extensions, Carbon Fibre yoke cover and fender extenda, MRA flip screen, Yamaha Engine bars, SW Motech Centre Stand, Kappa wingrack three box Luggage with E21's as option from the K960 boxes, Zumo 660 satnav on Touratech mount, Led Voltage monitor, Baglux tank cover, Clear LED Rear light, Aux LED brake light, BikeVis bullet LED's under front  nose,Stainless rear axle nut, stainless chain adjusters, stainless wheel spacers front and rear, Probolt Polished Stainless Flanged Hex engine screws, Polished stainless fairing screws, stainless disc bolts. Titanium brake pins front, Probolt Titanium Flanged Hex Front Caliper Bolts & Rear caliper slide pins Adventure Spec Tool tube under rear rack, left and right sides with custom alloy mounts.<p>Top Sellerie double gel pad seat. Carbon Fibre inner dash and side infill panels. Anodised black alloy swingarm pivot bolt covers and footpegs, Nano II Gear indicator.

#16 Matlock

Matlock

Carpe Citizen

• 3,913 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 25 July 2020 - 06:27 pm

Lots of good tips above, here's one of my own: You can pick up blind bearing puller kits of ebay for less than £40 they make life so much easier and make you look far more professional than using a drift :P .

2002 TDM900 in glorious yellowNOW SOLD  :( 

2012 Honda Crosstourer VFR1200X. Hyperspeed tourer.

1990 XTZ750 in black, standard apart from Micron silencer. Mechanical restoration complete, cosmetic restoration next on the agenda.. NOW SOLD  :( 

Follow me on twitter

#17 dablik

dablik

• 10,735 posts

Posted 25 July 2020 - 07:52 pm

Lots of good tips above, here's one of my own: You can pick up blind bearing puller kits of ebay for less than £40 they make life so much easier and make you look far more professional than using a drift :P .

Haha i actually have one but the Anchor bolt wins hands down :P :P

#18 Quadsey

Quadsey

• 52 posts

Posted 27 July 2020 - 04:04 pm

ok, haven't taken them out yet (want to get the replacements first), there's an engineering company beside me that do all types of bearings. Silly question but are bearings, bearings? Or are there motorcycle specific ones?

Does anyone have the size or model number of the bearings for an '06 TDM 900?

#19 Snowbird

Snowbird

Just won't go.

• 1,349 posts
  • Location:Often on another planet, but mostly south Cambs. (St.Neots)
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 27 July 2020 - 05:41 pm

Bearings are bearings, the type is all covered by the part number, the 4 numbers give size and any letters after should give seal type if any fitted.

Current toys: '99 XT600E, 2000 4TX, '82 Princess 30DS (where the username comes from), No longer a '03 Fazer thou.

Save the planet, it's the only one with beer!

#20 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,105 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 27 July 2020 - 05:43 pm

Does anyone have the size or model number of the bearings for an '06 TDM 900?

http://www.carpe-tdm...616#entry350908
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users