• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 ortogo

ortogo

discovering Carpe

• 19 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 28 August 2019 - 04:32 pm

rained off from work today, and having caught up with all the jobs in doors I needed to do spent the afternoon looking at bikes on the net.

I have an 850tdm which I love and won't get rid of but while looking for a couple of parts on line the other night was surprised how many parts are no longer available for the 850.

There's always e bay and breakers to keep them going, but it will get harder to keep them on the road and as i'm reaching the sort of age where if I'm going to treat myself one last time to a new(ish) bike what would you consider a suitable replacement?

After 45 years of motorcycling I'm not drawn to abs/rider modes/traction control/ electronic suspension etc, and having gone through a phase of every bike being a 1000cc plus and heavy, i'd like something lighter, agile, comfortable and fun. What would you choose?

#2 Robodene

Robodene

Robodene

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,508 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 28 August 2019 - 05:25 pm

MT-07 exactly fits your spec. Its engine also reminds me of my TDM.
1940s Ariel 350 (ex-military) Khaki > Black & White '56' Kymco Venox 250 Metallic Grey '56' TDM 900/A (ABS) Silver[b] '56' Yamaha MT-03 White <p>[b] '14' Yamaha MT-07 Matt Grey[b] '17' Honda Rebel 500 

#3 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 28 August 2019 - 08:51 pm

Honda CB500X, after reading quite a lot of personal opinions and story's to say nowt about the super mileage that would be my choice, instead i went for a full refurb of the mk1 and your right, parts can be tricky, would'nt kick the Tracer out of bed either though..

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#4 Riggers

Riggers

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 29 August 2019 - 07:57 am

Royal Enfield Interceptor? £5,500 on the road can't be bad for a new bike!

Riggers

#5 Bjørge

Bjørge

has been here 4ever

• 1,791 posts

Posted 30 August 2019 - 09:05 pm

Also try the NC750(S or X). Equipped with the most efficient mc engine today, leaving even MkI owners in envy of low end torque.
Bjørge

#6 TKH

TKH

full o shoite

• 2,199 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 31 August 2019 - 10:45 am

TDM 900? Whatever you pick it'll be newer than the 850! I've heard of 11 plate bikes.

#7 Gdogg

Gdogg

has been here 4ever

• 1,160 posts
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 31 August 2019 - 07:48 pm

Kawasaki Versys 650 Ltd Edition GT (in Black & Green of course), cracking bike for the money, well worth a visit / test ride at your local Kawasaki dealer  :good:  

Edited by Gdogg, 31 August 2019 - 07:48 pm.

<p> Now Sold 😔......850 MK2A 4TX6 in Silver, Stainless steel hand rolled slip on end can, stainless 2into1 headers, K&N air filter, Hagon progressive front springs, Gdogg modified rear shock, Else Made "Ridgeback" Gel Seat, Gdogg under seat fender extender, Powrspark leads, Carbon fiber effect vinyl wrap fairing decals & logos, Michelin Pilot Road2's, V-Strom hand guards, Givi monorack & box (colour matched side rails).

#8 PICARD

PICARD

has been here 4ever

• 1,741 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 02 September 2019 - 04:59 am

Took the TDM to my local Datatool fitter the other day for a new key/fob. He's also a an Aprilia and various Chinese manufacturer dealership. He offered me an hour or so on the benelli TRK 5 OH something. Blatant GS looky likey. Nowt to lose, took it out, and I have to reluctantly say that for £5k, otr....change every couple of years to avoid chinesium steel woes, if the TDM should ever go bang, it'd be worth a closer look. China could be the new Japan.
Lock onto my co-ordinates and beam me up !!

04 900 - 92 mk 1 - r 1150 rs - Z550 A1 - 2x bonnies - plastic slug -XL185 - ...not in that order !! (and one or two i don't want / dare to own up to !!)

#9 Gdogg

Gdogg

has been here 4ever

• 1,160 posts
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 02 September 2019 - 04:42 pm

+1 Picard , they had those at the bike meet "The Boy" & I went to recently, they do look the part must say  :good:  

<p> Now Sold 😔......850 MK2A 4TX6 in Silver, Stainless steel hand rolled slip on end can, stainless 2into1 headers, K&N air filter, Hagon progressive front springs, Gdogg modified rear shock, Else Made "Ridgeback" Gel Seat, Gdogg under seat fender extender, Powrspark leads, Carbon fiber effect vinyl wrap fairing decals & logos, Michelin Pilot Road2's, V-Strom hand guards, Givi monorack & box (colour matched side rails).

#10 Bjørge

Bjørge

has been here 4ever

• 1,791 posts

Posted 02 September 2019 - 10:07 pm

But 210 kgs dry.... and 48hp....
Not my choice!
Bjørge

#11 PICARD

PICARD

has been here 4ever

• 1,741 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 03 September 2019 - 12:14 pm

Have to agree Bjorg, ....but....at legal speeds, with a reasonable amount of luggage, or just for sundays and the shops, there's a lot going on for £5k.
Lock onto my co-ordinates and beam me up !!

04 900 - 92 mk 1 - r 1150 rs - Z550 A1 - 2x bonnies - plastic slug -XL185 - ...not in that order !! (and one or two i don't want / dare to own up to !!)

#12 TKH

TKH

full o shoite

• 2,199 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 03 September 2019 - 04:30 pm

Suzuki SV650?

#13 Robodene

Robodene

Robodene

• 1,508 posts

Posted 03 September 2019 - 08:21 pm

Maybe ortogo could tell us for what sort of riding he wants his new bike. Then we might refine our suggestions.....
1940s Ariel 350 (ex-military) Khaki > Black & White '56' Kymco Venox 250 Metallic Grey '56' TDM 900/A (ABS) Silver[b] '56' Yamaha MT-03 White <p>[b] '14' Yamaha MT-07 Matt Grey[b] '17' Honda Rebel 500 

#14 ortogo

ortogo

discovering Carpe

• 19 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 04 September 2019 - 06:57 pm

thanks for all the replies. First to answer, Robodenes question the bike is purely for pleasure these days, just trips out to the coast or moors (100 mile round day trips)  plus trips to the shops and to see friends.

I've just turned 60 this year so I want something with a good upright riding position and nice comfortable seat, my back, wrists and arms no longer can or want to endure sports bike riding positions. MPG isn't really an issue. Reasonable performance rather than arm wrenching power so 75 plus bhp, to allow easy overtaking and reasonable progression, good handling, and around the 200kg mark (I know this sounds pretty much a description of a TDM)

I owned an MT07 just prior to my TDM 850, and while the performance was great the seat was poor and I think the tdm is better, it has made me think about testing a mt07 tracer though as the seat looks better and it has some weather protection. I've tried an MT09 tracer and was quite impressed with the engine but the build quality seemed a bit cheap and cheerful?

The enfield and the benelli are both in my mind new untested offerings and both could do with more horsepower and I'd want to let someone else try them out and see what they look like after a couple of years in our climate and prove their reliability .

I thought the triumph tiger 800 might have been suggested as its a bike that ticks a lot of boxes and a late tdm 900 is certainly in with a shout

#15 Robodene

Robodene

Robodene

• 1,508 posts

Posted 04 September 2019 - 09:27 pm

Thanks, ortogo. All I can add is that the latest MT- 07 has a better seat. I have ridden one only a short distance when it seemed better but it was not for long enough. You would probably want a different bike, anyway. The niner is about 235kg if I remember rightly.

#16 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 06 September 2019 - 01:05 pm

How about something like a Ducati Scrambler type o bike.  Low seat, not too heavy and enough power to keep you happy.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users