• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 gazzztdm

gazzztdm

arrived on last train

• 7 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 22 January 2019 - 11:26 pm

Got oil leaking on the gear side of the bike and it sits on the crankcases , cannot work out were it is coming from , any ideas ? Its a 2002 tdm900, Had the tdm going on 4 years and first problem with her , I have put her up for sale and a guy interested wants to know exactly were the oil is coming from , she has been a cracking bike , cheers Gary.

Edited by gazzztdm, 23 January 2019 - 09:13 am.

#2 PICARD

PICARD

has been here 4ever

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,741 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 23 January 2019 - 07:16 am

Hello and welcome. I'm not an 850 owner so probably can't help, but I'm sure someone who can will be along very shortly.

Meanwhile......why not introduce yourself here......

Lock onto my co-ordinates and beam me up !!

04 900 - 92 mk 1 - r 1150 rs - Z550 A1 - 2x bonnies - plastic slug -XL185 - ...not in that order !! (and one or two i don't want / dare to own up to !!)

#3 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 23 January 2019 - 09:17 am

Hm, bit unusual that, i'm guessing it's the silver 9r in merseyside, does it result in a noticeable oil loss when you check the level ?

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#4 thelodger

thelodger

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 150 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 23 January 2019 - 09:23 am

Has someone topped up the oil and spilled it?

#5 gazzztdm

gazzztdm

arrived on last train

• 7 posts

Posted 23 January 2019 - 09:43 am

Yes its the 900 thats p for sale , and a fellow boot-on -the -hill lad lol , its more of a weep than a leak as not enough escapes to even make a drip on the floor , oil level has not changed and it doesnt use much oil so not needed to be topped up , just a bit frustrating working out were its coming from .

Edited by gazzztdm, 23 January 2019 - 10:02 am.

#6 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 23 January 2019 - 10:19 am

Hello gazzzzz.

Many years ago, Ivan had a weep coming from the oil pipe connection.  He cleaned up the oil then covered the area in johnsons baby talcum powder, even though he didn't have a baby, to find out where the oil was coming from.

A photo, or link to a photo would help.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#7 gazzztdm

gazzztdm

arrived on last train

• 7 posts

Posted 23 January 2019 - 10:32 am

Nice one Studley

I will try and see if that works , to be honest i just wanted to sell it with a leak but if i end up working it out i may as well keep her lol , i love the bike , plus there are oil pipes and breathers were it could be coming from , il try and get a photo up :-)

#8 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 23 January 2019 - 05:24 pm

Agree with Studs, talc's a tried and tested method of finding an oil leak, bit frustrating though eh, hopefully you'll spot it.

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#9 gazzztdm

gazzztdm

arrived on last train

• 7 posts

Posted 23 January 2019 - 05:47 pm

Cheers guys , il update you :-)

#10 Gdogg

Gdogg

has been here 4ever

• 1,160 posts
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 23 January 2019 - 06:39 pm

Agree with Studs, talc's a tried and tested method of finding an oil leak, bit frustrating though eh, hopefully you'll spot it.

Also spot on for deducing which is the front and which is the rear of a worm ............ put a worm on a saucer of talc and wait for it to trump the resulting puff of talc will be the give away  :rotflmmfao:  

<p> Now Sold 😔......850 MK2A 4TX6 in Silver, Stainless steel hand rolled slip on end can, stainless 2into1 headers, K&N air filter, Hagon progressive front springs, Gdogg modified rear shock, Else Made "Ridgeback" Gel Seat, Gdogg under seat fender extender, Powrspark leads, Carbon fiber effect vinyl wrap fairing decals & logos, Michelin Pilot Road2's, V-Strom hand guards, Givi monorack & box (colour matched side rails).

#11 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 23 January 2019 - 06:48 pm

Also spot on for deducing which is the front and which is the rear of a worm ............ put a worm on a saucer of talc and wait for it to trump the resulting puff of talc will be the give away  :rotflmmfao:  

:rotflmmfao: :rotflmmfao: :rotflmmfao: :rotflmmfao:

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#12 harvey krumpet

harvey krumpet

has been here 4ever

• 2,049 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 23 January 2019 - 07:35 pm

Hmmm. I noticed a bit of oil residue om my 8fiddily recently. It was misted over the front of the engine and top of the clutch cover.

The "leak" was one of the small bolts holding the oil filter cover on. Had loosened off slightly.

How the oil ended up away from the bolt is a mystery.

TDM 850 Loud and unusual. CRM 250r Woo hoo! DT 230 Lanza Fiddled with.... Bloody hell, is that legal? GG Randonee AKA "I didn't think that was possible".

#13 gazzztdm

gazzztdm

arrived on last train

• 7 posts

Posted 23 January 2019 - 08:14 pm

Il give that a check as well , super duper :-) 

#14 TKH

TKH

full o shoite

• 2,199 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 24 January 2019 - 12:45 pm

:rotflmmfao:  :rotflmmfao:  :rotflmmfao:

#15 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 24 January 2019 - 01:56 pm

But it mighta sneezed?!
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#16 gazzztdm

gazzztdm

arrived on last train

• 7 posts

Posted 24 January 2019 - 05:57 pm

Harvey you got it , A loose bolt on the oil filter cover, talc worked a treat , thanks for all your help , looks like she is here to stay , I think I may treat her to some new oxford heated grips :-).cheers guys .

#17 harvey krumpet

harvey krumpet

has been here 4ever

• 2,049 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 24 January 2019 - 08:05 pm

Harvey you got it , A loose bolt on the oil filter cover, talc worked a treat , thanks for all your help , looks like she is here to stay , I think I may treat her to some new oxford heated grips :-).cheers guys .

Crikey, must be the season for it. Glad it's an easy fix for you.

It's the first time I've had a loose bolt anywhere on the bike. Might replace the o-rings next oil change.

TDM 850 Loud and unusual. CRM 250r Woo hoo! DT 230 Lanza Fiddled with.... Bloody hell, is that legal? GG Randonee AKA "I didn't think that was possible".

#18 thelodger

thelodger

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 150 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 24 January 2019 - 09:29 pm

For Oxford grips I think you want the Adventure type. It just means the length of the grip is correct for the bike.

BTW be careful not to tighten the oil filter cover bolts too much as they can strip.

#19 TKH

TKH

full o shoite

• 2,199 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 24 January 2019 - 09:38 pm

Think carefully, the controller thingy on mine has failed after about 12 months what a crock of brown stuff. My plan is to just use an on/off switch. For those in the know electronics wise, should I be putting a resistor or something in to make sure it doesn't overload or similar?

I think I'm cursed with heated grips, this is the 5th I've had fail in 8 years and everyone has failed in a short time.

But yes,agreed, adventure.

Edited by TKH, 24 January 2019 - 09:38 pm.

#20 gazzztdm

gazzztdm

arrived on last train

• 7 posts

Posted 25 January 2019 - 10:26 am

Il have a try with the oxford adventure ones and see how they get on , be interesting to see what set up you end up with using a on/off switch with a resistor .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users