#21 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,676 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 25 January 2019 - 12:26 pm

Think carefully, the controller thingy on mine has failed after about 12 months what a crock of brown stuff. My plan is to just use an on/off switch. For those in the know electronics wise, should I be putting a resistor or something in to make sure it doesn't overload or similar?

I think I'm cursed with heated grips, this is the 5th I've had fail in 8 years and everyone has failed in a short time.

But yes,agreed, adventure.

You can get just a new controller for £25 latest Oxford fully auto type (eBay)

Wired to the battery they draw about 2A each, for full temperature. If you fit a changeover switch that lets you change to having them wired in series will give a 1/4 heat setting.
For a half heat setting a 2.7Ohm resistor of minimum 10W (for 70 Celsius resistor temperature), but 25W rating would be best..... Per grip.

Or wire the grips in parallel via single 1.2 Ohm 50W resistor.

Better would be a 12V PWM controller, for less than £5 , eBay again, but you need to waterproof them and add a switch...

....which is why the fully auto £25 option worked for me, considering it has a 12 month warranty

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#22 TKH

TKH

full o shoite

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,199 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 25 January 2019 - 07:18 pm

You can get just a new controller for £25 latest Oxford fully auto type (eBay)

Wired to the battery they draw about 2A each, for full temperature. If you fit a changeover switch that lets you change to having them wired in series will give a 1/4 heat setting.
For a half heat setting a 2.7Ohm resistor of minimum 10W (for 70 Celsius resistor temperature), but 25W rating would be best..... Per grip.

Or wire the grips in parallel via single 1.2 Ohm 50W resistor.

Better would be a 12V PWM controller, for less than £5 , eBay again, but you need to waterproof them and add a switch...

....which is why the fully auto £25 option worked for me, considering it has a 12 month warranty

Thanks for the help, I'll have a think. I've seen  a couple of the oxford ones on ebay as you suggest. It looks the same as what's on at the moment. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users