Keep on keepin' on

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,257 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 08 February 2007 - 10:06 am

QUOTE(kirikoe @ Thu 8th Feb 2007, 09:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey
I ' ve made some changes for the trip to scotlandmy fotoalbum

The trips are about 300 - 350 km per day . Is this realistic when you want to stop a few times to take the time to see a few things on the way.

I'am now looking for places to sleep : Callander ; Sky ; scourie ; Roy bridge or Spean bridge ; Pitlochry and Peebles providing Twin bedroom or 2 singels and breakfast not to expencieve ( max 25 Ł )

I've anyone has also some tips about things to see on the way ( some of the most interesting things you don't find in books) like vieuwpoints etc. please let me now

Distance proposed (200-220 miles per day in UK- speak) is feasible (?? other opinions) though you'll have to keep an eye on your schedules in the west particularly.

I've no specific ideas on accommodation at the moment, and will give some thought to your other other touristic issues. Have you checked out the "Undiscovered Scotland" web site, which I recall dk found useful?

Edited by Pict, 08 February 2007 - 10:09 am.

Dinotrike.jpg "It's a TDM, Jim, but not as we know it"

www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAHmEWim3to

Diamond black TDM 900A TRIKE, 2006 ABS model converted by Trike Design (Caerphilly, South Wales) prior to first registration in March 2007.

#102 Minty Hippo

Minty Hippo

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 08 February 2007 - 10:38 am

Hi
Looks like a good route - and route lengths mostly look ok to me. A few comments that might help: Most of the modern bunkhouses in Scotland have private rooms, some of them do breakfast, some of them don't. You can check at www.hostel-scotland.co.uk B&B's are in every town and most villages, you shouldn't have to pay more that Ł25 per person for a twin room and breakfast anywhere and you don't usually need to book. Hotels are relatively expensive.

If you want to stay on Skye, Sligachan bunk house and pub is a nice spot (www.sligachan.co.uk), great views of the mountains & sea there. When touring Skye its worth a trip down the singletracker to Glen Brittle if the weather's nice. Why not take the small car ferry from Kylerhea to Glenelg and return to the A87 via Ratagan pass (v good!)
Your day 4 route looks quite long - the Applecross road is very slow and you will want to stop and take pics. I think you are missing some of best bits north of Ullapool as your route is all on the main road. You could have lunch in Ullapool (try the Ceilidh Place or the seaforth) but I'd suggest getting off the A835 north of there. The road to Achiltibuie is not be missed and if you like seafood have lunch in the bar of the Summer isles hotel. Then head north on the back road via Lochinver. All great single track roads. There is a hotel and b&b's in Scourie but you could stay at Kylesku lodge which is a dramatic spot(www.kyleskulodges.co.uk) . If you have time to stop in Durness Smoo cave is worth a look especially if the guy with the boat is there to take you through the flooded bits of cave. As you can see I think north west is best and I like food.

#103 kirikoe

kirikoe

discovering Carpe

• Members
  • 14 posts
  • TDM model: 2005

Posted 08 February 2007 - 12:30 pm

Have you checked out the "Undiscovered Scotland" web site, which I recall dk found useful?
[/quote]

I have but I ' am looking for nice spots you see along the road and not for castels and marketplaces. Things that other bikers find worthwihle to stop

#104 kirikoe

kirikoe

discovering Carpe

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 08 February 2007 - 12:37 pm

Minty hippo

I' am gone check out your tip about the north of Ullapool but I'am afraid its gone take to mutch time. the aim is to see the different
regions of scotland (when the weather is ok )

#105 AL-58

AL-58

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 08 February 2007 - 12:51 pm

QUOTE(Pict @ Thu 8th Feb 2007, 08:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Have you checked out the "Undiscovered Scotland" web site, which I recall dk found useful?

Thanks for that Pict, I know I'll find it useful.

We're leaving Sydney on the 10th April, 3 days in London before taking the train to Edinburgh. Get to meet family I've never met (bar one cousin), wedding on the 21st April, we pick up a hirecar a few days later and go wandering for around 4 weeks. Leave Edinburgh to fly home on 22 May. And that's about the extent of the plans at this stage. Other than out Goretex Tiger Angel jackets, we won't be bringing any bike gear, too many weight restrictions.

Al

tdm850-spike.jpgtdm900-kosciuszko-05.jpg

#106 Pict

Pict

Keep on keepin' on

• 6,257 posts

Posted 08 February 2007 - 01:09 pm

QUOTE(AL-58 @ Thu 8th Feb 2007, 12:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks for that Pict, I know I'll find it useful.

We're leaving Sydney on the 10th April, 3 days in London before taking the train to Edinburgh. Get to meet family I've never met (bar one cousin), wedding on the 21st April, we pick up a hirecar a few days later and go wandering for around 4 weeks. Leave Edinburgh to fly home on 22 May. And that's about the extent of the plans at this stage. Other than out Goretex Tiger Angel jackets, we won't be bringing any bike gear, too many weight restrictions.

Al

Drop a PM or whatever about your London plans - hopefully we can meet up. Or even in Edinburgh (We have plans to head for Scotland around then)

Diamond black TDM 900A TRIKE, 2006 ABS model converted by Trike Design (Caerphilly, South Wales) prior to first registration in March 2007.

#107 Pict

Pict

Keep on keepin' on

• 6,257 posts

Posted 06 May 2007 - 03:44 pm

Just wondering if there's been any news from AL-58, duibhce Kaelann or kirikoe regarding their visits to Scotland?

#108 duibhce Kaelann

duibhce Kaelann

has been here 4ever

• 1,147 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 06 May 2007 - 07:07 pm

QUOTE(Pict @ Sun 6th May 2007, 05:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just wondering if there's been any news from AL-58, duibhce Kaelann or kirikoe regarding their visits to Scotland?

Kirikoe just got back from his trip. I think he'll put up some pics or a report soon.

Unfortunately Sofie and I had to postpone our Scotland plans after her little crash... The holiday budget was spent on a new bike. sad.gif
But no worries, all the helpful information you guys provided will be put to good use. We have vowed to do our Scotland tour in 2008. good.gif
Yamaha XJ600S Diversion '94
Yamaha XJ900S Diversion '97
Suzuki SV650S '01
Yamaha TDM900 '04

Yamaha XT660Z Ténéré '08 + Yamaha TRX850 '97

I'll let go of my throttle when they pry it from my cold, dead hands...

#109 kirikoe

kirikoe

discovering Carpe

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 07 May 2007 - 06:43 am

Yes i'am just back from scotland sad.gif . It was great , nice weather , great roads , and a beautifull nature good.gif . When I find some time a put the pics I toke on the net and I will try to write a report . For now I want to thank you for the great tips .
Scotland is a real paradise for bikers banana.gif

#110 Pict

Pict

Keep on keepin' on

• 6,257 posts

Posted 07 May 2007 - 07:25 am

QUOTE(kirikoe @ Mon 7th May 2007, 07:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes i'am just back from scotland

Hi kirikoe. Glad to hear you had a good time, and especially that the weather was kind. If you don't mind, I think it would be useful to archive the plans etc. you already shared with us, for the benefit of others who want to visit. Any photos likewise.

#111 kirikoe

kirikoe

discovering Carpe

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 07 May 2007 - 08:06 am

QUOTE(Pict @ Mon 7th May 2007, 09:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If you don't mind, I think it would be useful to archive the plans etc. you already shared with us, for the benefit of others who want to visit. Any photos likewise.

Thats no problem . I have the GPS file for garmin on the computer. If there is a place on this forum where i can put them I will be glad to do so.

#112 kirikoe

kirikoe

discovering Carpe

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 07 May 2007 - 08:09 pm

Here you can find the pictures I toke on the trip

schotland 2007

Edited by kirikoe, 07 May 2007 - 08:15 pm.

#113 Pict

Pict

Keep on keepin' on

• 6,257 posts

Posted 07 May 2007 - 08:28 pm

QUOTE(kirikoe @ Mon 7th May 2007, 08:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Here you can find the pictures I toke on the trip

schotland 2007

Thanks Koen. good.gif Some fine open spaces there, which take me back in memory. Congrats on going a good distance north - next time, round the top, eh?

#114 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 11 May 2007 - 05:25 pm

QUOTE(duibhce Kaelann @ Sun 6th May 2007, 07:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Kirikoe just got back from his trip. I think he'll put up some pics or a report soon.

Unfortunately Sofie and I had to postpone our Scotland plans after her little crash... The holiday budget was spent on a new bike. sad.gif
But no worries, all the helpful information you guys provided will be put to good use. We have vowed to do our Scotland tour in 2008. good.gif

any pics of Sofie then instead ??

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#115 duibhce Kaelann

duibhce Kaelann

has been here 4ever

• 1,147 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 11 May 2007 - 05:43 pm

QUOTE(wicklamulla @ Fri 11th May 2007, 07:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
any pics of Sofie then instead ??

you cheecky hillbilly tongue.gif

here she is on her new FZ6 in the hairpin at Folembray. yeahyeahyeah.gif cool.gif wub.gif

Edited by duibhce Kaelann, 11 May 2007 - 05:43 pm.

Yamaha XJ600S Diversion '94
Yamaha XJ900S Diversion '97
Suzuki SV650S '01
Yamaha TDM900 '04

Yamaha XT660Z Ténéré '08 + Yamaha TRX850 '97

I'll let go of my throttle when they pry it from my cold, dead hands...

#116 kirikoe

kirikoe

discovering Carpe

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 12 May 2007 - 08:35 am

QUOTE(Pict @ Mon 7th May 2007, 10:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Congrats on going a good distance north - next time, round the top, eh?

I wen't around the top that picture from the beach is from Durness
picture of durness beach

#117 Pict

Pict

Keep on keepin' on

• 6,257 posts

Posted 12 May 2007 - 09:26 am

QUOTE(kirikoe @ Sat 12th May 2007, 09:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I wen't around the top that picture from the beach is from Durness
picture of durness beach

Sorry, I didn't think properly, and presumed wrong. unsure.gif
Well done! good.gif

#118 kirikoe

kirikoe

discovering Carpe

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 02 October 2007 - 11:16 am

You can find de GPS file from my trip in scotland here

http://www.gpstracks...opa.php?id=2210

Edited by kirikoe, 02 October 2007 - 11:20 am.

#119 dandywarhol

dandywarhol

Carpe Citizen

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 5,324 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 02 October 2007 - 04:44 pm

good routes kirikoe - did you enjoy Glen Shee to Braemar and the Lecht to Tomintoul? cool.gif ?

1967 Yamaha TD1C 250, 2014 Kawasaki W800, 2011 Aprilia Tuono 1000 V4, 2020 Yamaha XSR900

"At the cutting edge of technophobia" Scotland_180-animated-flag-gifs.gif mccoy.gif

#120 kirikoe

kirikoe

discovering Carpe

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 02 October 2007 - 05:49 pm

i' ve enjoyed every minut of the trip. Each day was different and I really can't tell wich part of scotland was the best. wub.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users