#1 pete7

pete7

RTT10 manager

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,078 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 20 November 2009 - 09:30 pm

update on next year RTT and a few ideas:

1. FERRY - the steam packet has just opened up bookings for 2010 - having had a quick look it seems ferry fares are likely to be £101 for bike and rider, return

2. ACCOMMODATION - I made some checks on possible accommodation and the camp site near Greeba with bunk house type accommodation still seems a good bet (please see previous post for details and review)

3. EVENTS AND RIDEOUTS - early ideas are
- TT laps - clearly to sample current TT couse as much as poss. (and most is limit free!) as well as the older courses on the east and west of the island
- TT - starting every day with a lap of the course is cracking way to get to know it (omiting douglas by cutting corner from crom y mona to highlander)
- coastal trip - including peel, ramsey laxey, and the lovely little southern ports of erin and st mary and of course castletown
- twisties and mountain roads - in the centre of the islad are great and an opportunity to see england, scotland, wales and ireland all together
- walking - for anyone who fancies it, has brilliant coast/cliff edge sections in southern part of island (bring yah boots!)
- southern 100 races - latter part of week (as dandy suggested) will be good and you get REALLY close
- car rally - on first weekend is at various points on the island and will be good to see for petrol heads
- bike museums - (2) have some of best prep'd oldsters I have seen and FREE
- unique trams - horse trams and steam railway as well as the mountain railway is always good and gives opportunity to have a look at laxey wheel
- and so much more.... including cake!

hope this is useful to get things started

Pete

Keep music live!

YouTube: pete7kcu

#2 catsbum

catsbum

Sponsored by AutoGlym

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 7,057 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 11:48 pm

I have asked this already.

Is anyone outside of the UK coming?

Ta

#3 bondy

bondy

850 going for 900

• 852 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 21 November 2009 - 09:04 am

QUOTE(pete7 @ Fri 20th Nov 2009, 09:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
update on next year RTT and a few ideas:

1. FERRY - the steam packet has just opened up bookings for 2010 - having had a quick look it seems ferry fares are likely to be £101 for bike and rider, return

2. ACCOMMODATION - I made some checks on possible accommodation and the camp site near Greeba with bunk house type accommodation still seems a good bet (please see previous post for details and review)

3. EVENTS AND RIDEOUTS - early ideas are
- TT laps - clearly to sample current TT couse as much as poss. (and most is limit free!) as well as the older courses on the east and west of the island
- TT - starting every day with a lap of the course is cracking way to get to know it (omiting douglas by cutting corner from crom y mona to highlander)
- coastal trip - including peel, ramsey laxey, and the lovely little southern ports of erin and st mary and of course castletown
- twisties and mountain roads - in the centre of the islad are great and an opportunity to see england, scotland, wales and ireland all together
- walking - for anyone who fancies it, has brilliant coast/cliff edge sections in southern part of island (bring yah boots!)
- southern 100 races - latter part of week (as dandy suggested) will be good and you get REALLY close
- car rally - on first weekend is at various points on the island and will be good to see for petrol heads
- bike museums - (2) have some of best prep'd oldsters I have seen and FREE
- unique trams - horse trams and steam railway as well as the mountain railway is always good and gives opportunity to have a look at laxey wheel
- and so much more.... including cake!

hope this is useful to get things started

Pete

Can we go looking for fairies for those 900 riders as well

#4 Guest_LDRider_*

Guest_LDRider_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 November 2009 - 01:25 pm

QUOTE(CatsBum @ Sat 21st Nov 2009, 12:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I had been thinking about it at one point, but have plans to go to northern Alaska and back on bike summer of 2010. Anyone here is welcome to join for portions of that trip if interested.

#5 sidestand

sidestand

Carpe Citizen

• 3,456 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 21 November 2009 - 01:54 pm

That is something I'd love to do good.gif

Can I borrer yer K ??? laugh.gif

post-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gifpost-1-1152402501.jpgThe older I get, the better I was

96 MkII in yellow & silver with bluespots, braided lines, Remus 2 into 1, Hagon rear shock & fork springs, bashplate, heated grips,Motech pannier racks, Road Attacks, Jockoiler, Baglux tank cover & bag. Gone to a far better place - hasn't it Remo?
Another 96 Mk2 in yellow & silver - absolutely standard & pristine ( apart from a butchered rear mudguard - but I'm looking for a new one
'76 Suzuki GT500 Stroker in need of a rebuild
'80 Yamaha XT250 mudplugger
another '81 XT250
'91 BMW R80GS - this one really will do a RTW trip
'05 BMW K1200S - inline four with a shaft
'10 BMW R1200GSA Anniversary Edition
'02 Fazer 1000 - 4 carbs are better than 2 ! - water pump rebuilt by Mr Ramrod Engineering
'00 Triumph Adventurer - Cruiser with a difference - British & a triple
Gary's Bathtub - '99 BMW K1200RS in luvverly pillarbox red . Now been Waspycycled to Nuneaton
And the Latest Addition - a nice BMW G650 XCountry greenlaner - on long term loan to Boy Wonder

1996 Kawasaki KH125 Stroker

2000 TDM Mk2A - nicely Studleyfied - Modified by Masterbrewer, but we've fixed that now !

BMW K1300R

2004 TDM 900 in Silver/Blue - heated grips, MRA vary screen, Wilbers rear shock & engine bars to fit 

BMW S1000XR in white 

#6 stu

stu

full o shoite

• 2,060 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 25 November 2009 - 10:26 am

QUOTE(CatsBum @ Fri 20th Nov 2009, 11:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have asked this already.

Ta

Yep, circumstances permitting

Stu

#7 poldark

poldark

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 25 November 2009 - 03:12 pm

Thinking it would be good for southern contingent to travel up (meet up) on the way to Liverpool.

Looking at the timetable departure on Sat 10th is 11.30am or 19.30pm from Liverpool, with return leaving (to Liverpool) on Sat 17th at either 7.30am or 15.30pm.

So either a very very early Sat start to get the 11.30 or very late arrival, or am I missing something obvious?

'03 silver TDM 900 with V-Strom handguards, GS1150 bar risers, givi box, baglux tank cover, PC III USB with K&N air filter, S/S rad guard, crash bungs, Tigerscreen, iridium plugs, braided front hoses, OEM centre stand, 15W fork oil & 10mm yoke drop, tutoro oiler & sheepskin seat cover! Gone but not forgotten!

#8 jimmyf46

jimmyf46

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 219 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 25 November 2009 - 08:16 pm

I really fancy this but Heysham is probably better from me coming from Glasgow area.
I will investigate the ferries from there for saturday 10th.

Camping sounds ok to me. Dont know about bunkhouse...full of farting/burping/snoring etc etc( and thats just me) haha.
will see if my bro can get permission to come too.....

#9 poldark

poldark

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 26 November 2009 - 09:56 am

Sent a note to ask about ferry pricing -

Anya,
I believe you’ve now issued your schedule for 2010.

I’m interested to know an idea on costs for about 10-15 bikes going out from Liverpool on Sat 10th July on either the 11.30am or 19.30pm, with return a week later on Sat 17th July on 15.30pm fast ferry.

Hi,
Bike and rider would start FROM £112.00 return. If you can let me have the exact number of bikes travelling then I will be able to check to see if all space would be available at that price or not. Please be advised that fares are subject to availability at time of booking.
Regards
Anya

Not sure if we'd be as many as 10 going from Liverpool, but does give an idea of price.

I'd rather fit in with others plans and travel together or at least join up for the crossing, so what time and route does everyone else plan to use?

'03 silver TDM 900 with V-Strom handguards, GS1150 bar risers, givi box, baglux tank cover, PC III USB with K&N air filter, S/S rad guard, crash bungs, Tigerscreen, iridium plugs, braided front hoses, OEM centre stand, 15W fork oil & 10mm yoke drop, tutoro oiler & sheepskin seat cover! Gone but not forgotten!

#10 jimmyf46

jimmyf46

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 26 November 2009 - 12:42 pm

From Heysham the cost is £106 return for bike & rider.
ferry is at 14:30, arrives IOM at 17:45.

I'm going to book it tomorrow.

#11 poldark

poldark

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 26 November 2009 - 01:07 pm

QUOTE(jimmyf46 @ Thu 26th Nov 2009, 12:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
From Heysham the cost is £106 return for bike & rider.
ferry is at 14:30, arrives IOM at 17:45.

I'm going to book it tomorrow.

The departure time is far better from Heysham, sailing is a little longer though, how much farther up is it from Liverpool?

#12 jimmyf46

jimmyf46

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 26 November 2009 - 03:03 pm

1.5 hours. 114k

#13 fatchap

fatchap

needs a 2nd hobby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 780 posts
  • Location:Sunny Blackpool The FORMER home of Premier League Football

Posted 26 November 2009 - 03:09 pm

QUOTE(jimmyf46 @ Wed 25th Nov 2009, 10:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I really fancy this but Heysham is probably better from me coming from Glasgow area.
I will investigate the ferries from there for saturday 10th.

Camping sounds ok to me. Dont know about bunkhouse...full of farting/burping/snoring etc etc( and thats just me) haha.
will see if my bro can get permission to come too.....

Anyone who fancies camping should think about Sulby Claddagh. Just off Sulby Crossroads, between Sulby Hotel and Ginger Hall P.H. ( Bonus)

Nice campsite, toilets, basic washing facilities, no showers, but only 3 miles from Ramsey swimming pool.

The best thing about it, is it's FREE!!!!!!!!

#14 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 26 November 2009 - 04:39 pm

QUOTE(poldark @ Thu 26th Nov 2009, 09:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sent a note to ask about ferry pricing -

Anya,
I believe you’ve now issued your schedule for 2010.

I’m interested to know an idea on costs for about 10-15 bikes going out from Liverpool on Sat 10th July on either the 11.30am or 19.30pm, with return a week later on Sat 17th July on 15.30pm fast ferry.

Hi,
Bike and rider would start FROM £112.00 return. If you can let me have the exact number of bikes travelling then I will be able to check to see if all space would be available at that price or not. Please be advised that fares are subject to availability at time of booking.
Regards
Anya

Not sure if we'd be as many as 10 going from Liverpool, but does give an idea of price.

I'd rather fit in with others plans and travel together or at least join up for the crossing, so what time and route does everyone else plan to use?

Hmmm.... if Pete's right then it'll be cheaper not block booking blink.gif
and I quote....

dunno.gif

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#15 pete7

pete7

RTT10 manager

• 2,078 posts

Posted 26 November 2009 - 07:13 pm

[quote name='Studley Ramrod' date='Thu 26th Nov 2009, 06:39 PM' post='142627']
Hmmm.... if Pete's right then it'll be cheaper not block booking blink.gif
and I quote....

dunno.gif

I was probably going on the thursday for £101

https://www.steam-pa...ct.aspx#Content

leaving friday or saturday is £106

https://www.steam-pa...ct.aspx#Content

pete

Keep music live!

YouTube: pete7kcu

#16 jimmyf46

jimmyf46

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 26 November 2009 - 08:47 pm

Just been looking at the cronk dhoo campsite in Greeba web pages, as recommended on an earlier post.

Facilities look good, and its a short walk to the pub.......
Think i will be booking there if some of you are going to go there.
I am planning on booking ferry& campsite tomorrow so is anyone planning to camp there?

#17 dandywarhol

dandywarhol

Carpe Citizen

• 5,324 posts

Posted 26 November 2009 - 11:55 pm

The last time I was there in 1985 the Jurby road Races followed the Southern 100 at the weekend.

I just found some on board footage of the Jurby circuit. One of the few times I passengered a sidecar was there and remember just how high geared the Suzuki 1100 engined outfit was for the main straight!
I also remember finding tufts of straw caught in the side of my visor cos I'd to lean sooooooo far out of the left at the end of that straight to keep the wheel down!! blink.gif
I wonder if its on again next year?

Here's the footage

1967 Yamaha TD1C 250, 2014 Kawasaki W800, 2011 Aprilia Tuono 1000 V4, 2020 Yamaha XSR900

"At the cutting edge of technophobia" Scotland_180-animated-flag-gifs.gif mccoy.gif

#18 stu

stu

full o shoite

• 2,060 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 27 November 2009 - 12:52 pm

QUOTE(dandywarhol @ Thu 26th Nov 2009, 11:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The last time I was there in 1885

Corrected for you wink.gif

Stu

#19 jimmyf46

jimmyf46

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 03:27 pm

Paid for the ferry this morning.

14:15 from Haysham on 10th July
15:30 from Douglas on 17th July £106 Return

Also sent an e mail to Greeba farm campsite to reserve me a pitch for the tent & bike. £7:00 a night.

Hope to see some of you there.

Jimmy.

#20 stubottle

stubottle

seems to like Carpe

• 46 posts
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 28 November 2009 - 11:35 am

Fatchap has mentioned Sulby Claddaghs as a free camp site. I've been camping on there for the last 20 years for the TT and MGP, and wouldn't go anywhere else. The two best pubs on the Island are 10 minutes walk away.
In 2010 the Steam Packet is offering "TT Tasters" during TT practice week, when a return ferry crossing can be had for £99 for a bike and rider. This is in order to attract visitors to sample the TT experience when the roads and pubs, etc. aren't too busy, and accomodation is more available.

P.S. Sulby camping is unrestricted duing the TT and MGP festivals, but may be only available for 5 days a week at other times.

Edited by stubottle, 28 November 2009 - 11:44 am.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users