#1 muddy

muddy

full o shoite

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,973 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 29 November 2018 - 09:55 am

Back in 2005 it was a toss up between an old Fazer 600 and the TDM 900, went with the TDM and never looked back. 13 years together, never would have thought I'd keep a bike that long. It's been brilliant and has never let me down. It's frugal, having great tank range, it's comfortable and is just made for the sort of touring I've done over the years. The only niggling things for me were the handling and the seat height and both were getting me in trouble more and more. I like to have the small amount of weight I carry to feel the front, that wasn't so bad in the early years, because I weighed a fair bit more and had more strength, but now I just feel like a shrimp captaining a barge. Also not having ABS was coming into play more and more, I just felt it's a safety feature that I need as I get older.

So now I've sold it to Fixitsan, who'll likely make it look much more presentable that the state I sold it in. Though the engine was as good as ever, I'd been neglecting looking after it and that meant I'd sort of lost the love. So what now?

Tried both Tracers and have mixed thoughts. The 900, though a great ride, is too busy and urgent. The 700 was really good, I like that a lot, but it felt cheap and the build quality is shabby in my opinion. It just feels much less well put together than the 9er and it's bigger brother (or is that sister?). But I haven't ruled it out. The new Tenere looks tempting, but I don't buy new and probably couldn't afford it now anyway as things are tightish. Tried the Honda NC750 earlier in the year and though it was fine, I just didn't really like the engine character much, so that's out. At the moment I'm thinking CB500X as it ticks most boxes but I will miss the torque and top end roll on of the 9er. It's useful to be able to just open it up at 80 on a motorway and squirt past dodgy drivers quickly. I think the Tracer 700 will be fine with that, but not the CB500X. The beauty of the Honda though is it's frugality and tank range. I like to know I can just ride all day and not have to pull into a petrol station. Then there's the 650 Vstrom, which is a great bike, but I view it as a TDM with less power, but owners love the thing just as we love the TDM and quite a few ex-TDM owner have them, so it's another one I'm looking at. 

Well I've got the whole winter to ponder and plot. Any other bikes that deserve a look, feel free to make a suggestion.

Edited by muddy, 29 November 2018 - 04:30 pm.

Blue 04 TDM,PR2 rear Roadsmart front, Yamaha topox, Givi E360 panniers, PL pannier holders, BMW handguards, Yamaha touring screen, Scottoiler, 12v ciggie socket, carbon core HT leads

Gorn :sorry:

#2 filo

filo

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 229 posts
  • TDM model: 2001

Posted 29 November 2018 - 12:28 pm

Saw the new 2019 cb500x at the bike show and it it looked great with the bigger front wheel. Similar to the rally raid treatment. Longer term reviews on the tracer 700 seem to reflect your concerns on the finish, nick sanders had the one he rode to Mongolia on his stand and he loved it.
I'm with you on the cb500x so far.

#3 Nog

Nog

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 29 November 2018 - 02:27 pm

You'll spend all winter looking at different bikes.

Then in spring see a well looked after TDM for sale and think "now that looks the ticket" ;)

#4 TKH

TKH

full o shoite

• 2,199 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 29 November 2018 - 02:54 pm

You'll spend all winter looking at different bikes.

Then in spring see a well looked after TDM for sale and think "now that looks the ticket" ;)

+1

#5 Robodene

Robodene

Robodene

• 1,511 posts

Posted 29 November 2018 - 04:36 pm

-1. I found the TDM got bigger and taller as the years went by. It is much missed, though. As to the Honda, I have a 500 Rebel which has the same sort of engine (I believe). It is a vibey engine in my bike. The vibes are just about acceptable because I like everything else about the bike. I have grip puppies and a more padded seat (nice and low) to help. My MT-07 is creamy smooth by comparison. Good luck with your search; it is always fun.

Edited by Robodene, 29 November 2018 - 04:38 pm.

1940s Ariel 350 (ex-military) Khaki > Black & White '56' Kymco Venox 250 Metallic Grey '56' TDM 900/A (ABS) Silver[b] '56' Yamaha MT-03 White <p>[b] '14' Yamaha MT-07 Matt Grey[b] '17' Honda Rebel 500 

#6 muddy

muddy

full o shoite

• 2,973 posts

Posted 29 November 2018 - 06:19 pm

-1. I found the TDM got bigger and taller as the years went by. It is much missed, though. As to the Honda, I have a 500 Rebel which has the same sort of engine (I believe). It is a vibey engine in my bike. The vibes are just about acceptable because I like everything else about the bike. I have grip puppies and a more padded seat (nice and low) to help. My MT-07 is creamy smooth by comparison. Good luck with your search; it is always fun.

One of the things that really got irritating with the TDM was that trying to paddle the bloody thing on tip toe in the wet or on slippery surfaces has caused me to almost drop it a number of times. With a full tank and loaded panniers that came to a head in Andorra when I did drop it and had to pick it up, fully laden, all on my own in the midday sun. I'm still strong enough to do that, just, but I'm sure that'll change over the next 10 years. 

Blue 04 TDM,PR2 rear Roadsmart front, Yamaha topox, Givi E360 panniers, PL pannier holders, BMW handguards, Yamaha touring screen, Scottoiler, 12v ciggie socket, carbon core HT leads

#7 Robodene

Robodene

Robodene

• 1,511 posts

Posted 29 November 2018 - 06:29 pm

One of the things that really got irritating with the TDM was that trying to paddle the bloody thing on tip toe in the wet or on slippery surfaces has caused me to almost drop it a number of times. With a full tank and loaded panniers that came to a head in Andorra when I did drop it and had to pick it up, fully laden, all on my own in the midday sun. I'm still strong enough to do that, just, but I'm sure that'll change over the next 10 years.

I remember it well. I reached the point where I was expecting a drop at nearly every junction. I decided I could not spoil the bike any more after two drops. Never regretted buying a nice light bike (comparatively speaking).
1940s Ariel 350 (ex-military) Khaki > Black & White '56' Kymco Venox 250 Metallic Grey '56' TDM 900/A (ABS) Silver[b] '56' Yamaha MT-03 White <p>[b] '14' Yamaha MT-07 Matt Grey[b] '17' Honda Rebel 500 

#8 Catteeclan

Catteeclan

full o shoite

• 2,439 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 29 November 2018 - 07:17 pm

Don't think I'm too far behind you age wise and there were times I struggled with the S10. Luckily not at that point yet with the TDM.

Enjoy test riding and keep us posted.

2002 TDM900 Yellow

#9 divvxj

divvxj

has been here 4ever

• 1,296 posts

Posted 29 November 2018 - 08:29 pm

+1

#10 muddy

muddy

full o shoite

• 2,973 posts

Posted 29 November 2018 - 11:57 pm

All that said about weight and wotnot, I forgot to add that I'm also keeping my eye on S10s, purely because they're fantastic value second hand. There's a 21k mile, 2010 model going for £5000 on ebay right now. The thing is they normally come with a lot of farkles and luggage, so no need to buy a screen, crash bars or nowt. So that's a high quality bike designed to go on and on for very little money. Just can't rule it out for that reason. I need to think how much touring I'm going to be doing now I'm up north. I suppose the long journey down south for ferries will be a lot less onerous on the Super Tenere. I'm going to wear myself out with all this I just know it. 

#11 Catteeclan

Catteeclan

full o shoite

• 2,439 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 30 November 2018 - 06:55 am

A bit taller the the TDM. Not a prob if you're got some nice 70s platforms? :)

2002 TDM900 Yellow

#12 Apache

Apache

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 30 November 2018 - 09:10 am

If you really want to go off piste try a piaggio mp3 500 with the locking front wheels. No need to even put your feet down as you stop....

#13 Nog

Nog

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 30 November 2018 - 09:29 am

I could recommend the Tiger 800 - one of the most flexible engines I've had the pleasure of being sat on.

#14 Apache

Apache

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 30 November 2018 - 09:35 am

I could recommend the Tiger 800 - one of the most flexible engines I've had the pleasure of being sat on.

Yeah, recently tested all sorts and the road biased 800 was the best of the bunch. I don't need it but it also had a very low seat height adjustable down to 810mm....

#15 Nog

Nog

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 30 November 2018 - 10:03 am

Yeah I loved the Tiger 800, unfortunately mine developed a 'buzz' around the 4-6k rpm (typical cruising speed) that numbed my hands over time and was even annoying through the footpegs.  Triumph didn't want to know and I fell out with the bike and sold it.  Shame as I enjoyed it in all other areas.

I since read a few people that had the same issue all had engine bars (I had them fitted from factory) which could be a factor of transmitting the vibes from lower engine mounts to the rest of the frame and had I known I could have played around with loosening and re-torquing or removing altogether.

#16 muddy

muddy

full o shoite

• 2,973 posts

Posted 30 November 2018 - 10:37 am

If you really want to go off piste try a piaggio mp3 500 with the locking front wheels. No need to even put your feet down as you stop....

Nah thanks, that's just one stop short of a mobility scooter 

I'd love a Tiger 800, but they're too expensive compared to the other bikes I've mentioned. I'd have to be really lucky to see one in good nick in the price range I can afford. 

A bit taller the the TDM. Not a prob if you're got some nice 70s platforms? :)

Yeah I know, but that doesn't stop the ol' noggin going 'hmmm, that's nice and a lot of bike for very little money'. Just threw it in to make the list a bit longer. 

#17 jiff

jiff

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts

Posted 30 November 2018 - 10:30 pm

OK....... so I’m older than most......(getting older)
and my legs remain unambiguously short

but I love my 4tx.......

So.......I reshaped the seat foam with an electric carving knife to drop me down a tad
and had heavily cleated Vibram soles applied to my boots......

so my reach increased, and my boots are virtually skid-free

........works for me.

Jiff.

#18 muddy

muddy

full o shoite

• 2,973 posts

Posted 30 November 2018 - 11:31 pm

OK....... so I’m older than most......(getting older)
and my legs remain unambiguously short

but I love my 4tx.......

So.......I reshaped the seat foam with an electric carving knife to drop me down a tad
and had heavily cleated Vibram soles applied to my boots......

so my reach increased, and my boots are virtually skid-free

........works for me.

Jiff.

That's the spirit. There's always a way around things, it's just having the will and the wit to find them. Funny you mention soles, I'd never thought about that. If you can get that much on the ground, it's the soles slipping that's the biggest problem with paddling, not so much flat footing it. Hmmm, food for thought. 

#19 jiff

jiff

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts

Posted 01 December 2018 - 02:05 am

That's the spirit. There's always a way around things, it's just having the will and the wit to find them. Funny you mention soles, I'd never thought about that. If you can get that much on the ground, it's the soles slipping that's the biggest problem with paddling, not so much flat footing it. Hmmm, food for thought.

.....splendidly co-operative & helpful Vibram shop scoured the obscure backwaters of the catalogue and came up with some chunky
soles intended, as I recall, for climbing boots....

very confidence inspiring.....Jiff.

#20 Apache

Apache

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 01 December 2018 - 11:48 am

Er, fixitsan, about that 9er I sold you ;)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: cb500x, Vstrom, NC750, Tenere

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users