• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 29 December 2018 - 12:03 pm

well we spent bout 17k having d'old garage knocked doon and rebuilt a few years ago.  We had it rebuilt longer and wider and as it's attached to the end of the house we had the a proper matching tiled roof fitted as i hated the original flat roof that was over the garage as it was leaking. 

We now have a loft space too which is boarded out and i have plenty of TDM  and pickup truck spares stashed up dare fer when the zombie appocolips starts.   

We went as wide as we cud with the garage, bout 1m away from the conifer boundary hedge.  The feckin' wind floored a length of the hedge 3 years ago which meant i had to remove it and build a fence in it's place which has left a space between the new garage and the fence which i use for storing me road signage, traffic cones etc,  pity it didn't happen afore we built the new garage as we cudda went at least 1m wider!

Looks like i'm gonna hafta find the funds and concrete the whole yard space out front of me abode as the old tarmac and gravel surface is chewed up from  manoeuvring  the trucks (dry steering etc) and concrete is tougher dan tarmac. I will  build anudder shed down the garden at some pint in time too.  I reckon it can be approximately 20' x 12' in size.  I was wondering if it is cheaper and easier to have it built in timber or concrete blocks?  Timber appeals as it's not as stark looking as concrete blocks and render.

What say ye?

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#2 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,211 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 29 December 2018 - 05:47 pm

Well, blocks would prolly last a lot longer so ya might need to reflect that in the pricing. Some trellis and ivy would hide the blocks. :)

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#3 Andy25

Andy25

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 335 posts
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 29 December 2018 - 06:46 pm

Would you need planning permission for a 20 x 12 shed made from Block ?

Seems more of a permanent structure than say a Wooden Shed that can be moved / modified as needed

Just a thought

#4 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,113 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 29 December 2018 - 07:20 pm

Using my great memory when I looked into this.... You can have a timer structure up to a certain size but a flammable structure such as timber has more limitations on position to boundary. The concrete one won't have the same limitation. Think up to 30msq (memory guess) without plan.

Edit: from https://www.planning.../outbuildings/2

If the floor area of the building is between 15 square metres and 30 square metres, you will not normally be required to apply for building regulations approval providing that the building contains NO sleeping accommodation and is either at least one metre from any boundary or it is constructed substantially of non-combustible materials.
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#5 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

• 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.

Posted 29 December 2018 - 08:29 pm

ok tanks.  I will more dan loikely apply fir planning permission as it's usually not a problem when ya lives in the middle of nowhere.  Oil be widening the gateway too by 1m as it'll make reversing me truck n' chipper through it in de dark a bit easier.  I'd rather jump thru some hoops and comply rather dan have problems during or after the build.

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

#6 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,113 posts

Posted 30 December 2018 - 09:48 pm

You can fill in a form and they will tell you what you need. At most out will be building regs not planning. The Devonian building regs lot are much better resourced (and therefore easier to contact and more helpful) than the home of Morris dancing lot.

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#7 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

• 12,211 posts

Posted 30 December 2018 - 10:46 pm

You can fill in a form and they will tell you what you need. At most out will be building regs not planning. The Devonian building regs lot are much better resourced (and therefore easier to contact and more helpful) than the home of Morris dancing lot.

splendid.  We had a cursory chat with Mid Devon Council a few munts ago and they said it'll be a piece of pish but we'll eventually submit plans and see what they say re. building regs etc.

#8 ChrisG

ChrisG

Resident vulture

• 8,276 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 31 December 2018 - 10:19 am

I'd expect timber to be a hell of a lot cheaper, and most companies that make timber sheds/cabins will make then to your spec and then just stick the panels together onsite.  I got a basic 6'x12' feather edge shed, built to my non-standard requirements, in the summer and it cost about the same as putting in the concrete base to sit it on.  Alternatively it's pretty easy to build your own on site if you have sensibly priced timber merchant around

However timber will need more maintenance, and is nowhere near as secure as brick/block built one.  Presumably with the amount of work kit you have around as well as the bikes security is a consideration?

1992 Mk1, 76k miles, Hagon springs, MTC exhaust, 4½ gears Gone now :(
2009 900 abs, 42k miles, Yamaha heated grips, double bubble screen, R&G crash bungs, scottoiler, Autocom, 1500 lumen LED spotlights.

post-1-1152402501.jpgpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#9 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

• 12,211 posts

Posted 31 December 2018 - 10:37 am

I'd expect timber to be a hell of a lot cheaper, and most companies that make timber sheds/cabins will make then to your spec and then just stick the panels together onsite.  I got a basic 6'x12' feather edge shed, built to my non-standard requirements, in the summer and it cost about the same as putting in the concrete base to sit it on.  Alternatively it's pretty easy to build your own on site if you have sensibly priced timber merchant around

However timber will need more maintenance, and is nowhere near as secure as brick/block built one.  Presumably with the amount of work kit you have around as well as the bikes security is a consideration?

well security is not a huge concern  cos 'if they really want it the'll get to it and take it'.  The current garage is block built and houses the expensive stuff.  the additional wooden shed would house the chipper and a few bikes, hydraulic work bench etc.  There is a timber merchant 2 miles up the road so thas useful too!

#10 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,744 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 01 January 2019 - 11:54 am

Come on Wickers, you've got a chain saw   "Timber" :lol:

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#11 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

• 12,211 posts

Posted 02 January 2019 - 01:06 pm

Come on Wickers, you've got a chain saw   "Timber" :lol:

i got's more sain chaws than botormikes Cliff,  last count (of monticristo) was 15 saws. I could get a mill and plank up my own timber i suppose but i loike convenience so will buy the lumber.  Problem is i need to concrete the whole yard first and concrete the foundation pad for the shed at the same time so i'm trying to gather the necessary dollar together to make this happen.   :rolleyes:  :good:

#12 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,744 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 02 January 2019 - 01:44 pm

Yep conveniance counts for a lot, been thinking of the same myself but i reckon i would only be inviting trouble with the local yooth, you looked at 2nd hand stuff at all on ebay, often some bargains around if you can collect.

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#13 ChrisG

ChrisG

Resident vulture

• 8,276 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 02 January 2019 - 02:02 pm

Off topic, but do you need planning permission to concrete the yard due to the change in drainage?

1992 Mk1, 76k miles, Hagon springs, MTC exhaust, 4½ gears Gone now :(
2009 900 abs, 42k miles, Yamaha heated grips, double bubble screen, R&G crash bungs, scottoiler, Autocom, 1500 lumen LED spotlights.

post-1-1152402501.jpgpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#14 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,113 posts

Posted 02 January 2019 - 03:20 pm

I have seen plastic click togetherness plastic boxes that you fill with shingle that can ewesed as a shed base of ya five fancy concrete.

#15 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,211 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 02 January 2019 - 04:38 pm

i got's more sain chaws than botormikes Cliff,  last count (of monticristo) was 15 saws. I could get a mill and plank up my own timber i suppose but i loike convenience so will buy the lumber.  Problem is i need to concrete the whole yard first and concrete the foundation pad for the shed at the same time so i'm trying to gather the necessary dollar together to make this happen.   :rolleyes:  :good:

A relative of mine hired a cement mixer and concreted around 30sqm all by himself, saved a small fortune.  Mayhaps not for you if convenience is the key though.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#16 bondy

bondy

850 going for 900

• 852 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 02 January 2019 - 05:10 pm

Off topic, but do you need planning permission to concrete the yard due to the change in drainage?

From memory you'd need to dig a soakaway, min distance from any dwelling or boundary of 3m, so that any rain water stays within your boundary and away from your dwelling. The soakaway should be to designed to cope with the ground conditions and amount of water being drained to it. Plastic crates are the way forward as they are compact and strong.

If you have an older property that doesn't use soakaway's and your rain drains away from your property, either to a road or path then hence to public drainage, you pay a bit more on your utility bill. Boop

#17 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

• 12,211 posts

Posted 02 January 2019 - 09:54 pm

ok gr8 info here chaps,  tanks.  We knew about the drainage concerns and intend on putting in drainage channels covered with slotted galvanised covers and possibly using a water capture system to save and store the rain water for use in the garden.  I don't wanna pay any more money on my utility bills so we'll work it out with a soak away if required.

Bondy re; the plastic crates,  are these to fill with stone n' gravel and for use as a soak away or  are yew referring to the same 'foundation crates' as Dapleb mentioned above?

Oil hafta have a measure up to calculate the area that needs concreting,  there is a bit of a slope on the area too so that will possibly mean more excavating and it may mean alot more concrete.

#18 bondy

bondy

850 going for 900

• 852 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 03 January 2019 - 05:42 am

ok gr8 info here chaps,  tanks.  We knew about the drainage concerns and intend on putting in drainage channels covered with slotted galvanised covers and possibly using a water capture system to save and store the rain water for use in the garden.  I don't wanna pay any more money on my utility bills so we'll work it out with a soak away if required.

Bondy re; the plastic crates,  are these to fill with stone n' gravel and for use as a soak away or  are yew referring to the same 'foundation crates' as Dapleb mentioned above?

Oil hafta have a measure up to calculate the area that needs concreting,  there is a bit of a slope on the area too so that will possibly mean more excavating and it may mean alot more concrete.

They are the cube shaped ones that click together to make it as big as needed for a soakaway. Have look on the interwebthingymebobwhatsit for more info.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users