#1 jht

jht

has been here 4ever

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,769 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 26 June 2014 - 08:01 pm

Evening all! It's been a while :ph34r:

Looking at a bike based sat nav as opposed to using the ol' phone.

After peoples opinions of Garmin over TomTom pleaseand thankyou

Advantages & disadvantages? Useful bits?

Have done a search but all similar questions are quite old, and things have changed a bit I think in the last few years.

Done: Homo sap navigation/ twisty thing on bars to make it go vroom/ grabby thing to make it stop (in front of twisty thing)/ 'leccy things front and rear to make it glow at night/ Sucky + drippy oiler thing to keep chains moist (!!) / Laser Pro Stock Race pipes / bleeding ear drums (see previous mod)
To do: Educate homo sap nav system to operate twisty + grabby things/ get ear plugs

All Trashed Now... Pants... its a Cat B Mwahahaha it lives again!!

Remember every driver is a deaf myoptic twat who is out to kill you, ALWAYS assume they are going to do THE most f*cking DUMBASS, STUPID manouver possible, at the worst possible moment; get past, and get past quick

#2 RolfieB

RolfieB

has been here 4ever

• 1,069 posts
  • TDM model: 2001

Posted 26 June 2014 - 08:22 pm

I have a Givi universal sat nav mount & use my car one which is a Garmin. Dedicated bike sat navs I think are to pricey.

I will be looking at ways to improve the position of the mount though (with the help of the guru that is Lee H) as not really that flexible in positioning.

Edited by RolfieB, 26 June 2014 - 08:24 pm.

Now I just fly everywhere.

Be yourself, because everybody else is taken.

Gone to new owner.

Black Mk2a

PipeWerx Exhaust, Gold Spots, Goodridge Hoses, Scottoiler,Oil Pressure Indicator, Nippy Normans fuze box,Touratech Handguards,Oxford Heated Grips, Power Socket, Hard Wiring for Sat Nav, Gear Indicator built into the rev counter. Givi E50 Top box & E21 side cases, Bagster Tank Cover & Bag.

#3 pete7

pete7

RTT10 manager

• 2,078 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 26 June 2014 - 08:50 pm

I have a Givi universal sat nav mount & use my car one which is a Garmin. Dedicated bike sat navs I think are to pricey.

I will be looking at ways to improve the position of the mount though (with the help of the guru that is Lee H) as not really that flexible in positioning.

:wifgeni:

Keep music live!

YouTube: pete7kcu

#4 Matt101

Matt101

full o shoite

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 2,391 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 26 June 2014 - 08:56 pm

Hi Julian

Long time no see!

I have a Garmin Zumo 350LM. Yes pricey. But I don't mind to be honest. By the time you add up bits to make a car based one bike friendly there isn't that much in it. Lifetime maps, and the routing is different between car and bike. Bike routes tend to be twistier routes, but then set it for the car and routes become more direct. Bluetooth as standard and some other bits like fuel guage, service records etc. Great if you use them, which I do. I've also had TomTom but prefer Garmins.

Edited by Matt101, 26 June 2014 - 08:57 pm.

#5 AliG

AliG

has been here 4ever

• 1,446 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 26 June 2014 - 09:16 pm

I followed Sagalout to Germany in May and he was using the Tomtom bike model. He set it to twisties from Ypres to Monschau and we had a ball. Some great roads we would never have found otherwise. Same situation in the Mosel valley. Definitely on my wish list. I've got a car satnav but it doesn't have the capabilities of a bike-specific one. We also had crap weather so he had no worries about it getting wet.
Ali

2004 900 - Blue with lots of goodies

2012 900 - Still adding shiny bits. Was black, changed to white and now back to black again.

#6 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• 5,089 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 26 June 2014 - 09:22 pm

I have the Zumo 660 lifetime maps been a very good unit links to phone via bluetooth so you can make calls from the screen.

It was very pricey, especially when the Touratech mount added over £100, but what a mount, all laser cut stainless and very neat. Automatically detects which mount it's in, so pop it in the car mount and it's in car mode.

Younger brov has the 350LM like matt101's on his pan euro. He gets on ok with his.

This is the secure mount for the zumo 350 in black a bit spendy but you only live once.

http://shop.touratec...able-black.html

2002 900 silver,oil pressure switch with brass 90 degree conversion, RG fork protectors. Wilburs custom made rear Shock with remote hydraulic preload and RG shocktube, Wilburs front springs. Scotoiler with a custom made swing arm delivery unit. Silicone radiator hoses.BMW 1150 handguards with Touratech extensions, Carbon Fibre yoke cover and fender extenda, MRA flip screen, Yamaha Engine bars, SW Motech Centre Stand, Kappa wingrack three box Luggage with E21's as option from the K960 boxes, Zumo 660 satnav on Touratech mount, Led Voltage monitor, Baglux tank cover, Clear LED Rear light, Aux LED brake light, BikeVis bullet LED's under front  nose,Stainless rear axle nut, stainless chain adjusters, stainless wheel spacers front and rear, Probolt Polished Stainless Flanged Hex engine screws, Polished stainless fairing screws, stainless disc bolts. Titanium brake pins front, Probolt Titanium Flanged Hex Front Caliper Bolts & Rear caliper slide pins Adventure Spec Tool tube under rear rack, left and right sides with custom alloy mounts.<p>Top Sellerie double gel pad seat. Carbon Fibre inner dash and side infill panels. Anodised black alloy swingarm pivot bolt covers and footpegs, Nano II Gear indicator.

#7 arthurbikemad

arthurbikemad

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 573 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 09:27 pm

A number of mount options for many devices on ram-mount.co.uk 1" rubber ball mounted to the bar riser and any options you like.

I have the old TomTom rider, is ok but the garmin is a easier and better nav IMO. I often use my HTC One mounted in one of the waterproof covers on ram-mount mounted on the rubber ball and adaptor, works very well.

Edited by arthurbikemad, 26 June 2014 - 09:29 pm.

2012 Grey 900, Dual HIDs, Fork gaiters, Yam centre stand, Givi crash bars, S320 DRLs custom mounts, PAIR removed, Modded airbox, K&N, Warrior cans, PC3 - Custom map 81bhp @ 65ft-lb, Lambda removed, HM Quickshifter (removed), Evans waterless coolant, Hel lines, Dome SS exhaust nuts, Clear winker lenses, Yamaha +145 Screen + MRA X-creen, Heated grips with relay cut out and custom carbon mount, DL Hand Guards and milled bar ends, SW barback risers, 5w SMD LED side light, LED stop/tail reflectors, 2 x Front mudguard extenders, Custom rear under hugger, Hugger extender, Wrapped HT leads, Aux power sockets, Givi V47NN Top box with LED stop, SW motech mount, Givi PL347 mount and E21s, SW Motech Evo Tank bag, Stainless rad guard, Top Sellerie gel seat, RAM mounts for sat nav and phone, Handy tube and more.     Follow me on twitter @arthurbikemad

#8 RogerD

RogerD

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 241 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 26 June 2014 - 10:34 pm

I have both a car Garmin on the TDM, and a fully mounted 350LM on the BM, and whilst the cost is one issue, and others have been pointed out, dont forget the basics, such as the fact that the bike version has a display capable of being viewed (more) clearly in direct sunlight, and its possible to use the touch screen with gloves on consistently :good: .

The BT capability is also organised for the bike set up, not car.

The car version works OK to get me about, but for a serious trip or tour, i would always take the bike version.

As for Tom Tom or Garmin....I have only used Garmin. Route setting for me, on Garmin, is not intuitive with base camp but doable , the product is well made and the lifetime maps are a great bonus.

My 20 cents for what its worth   ;)

Roger

2004 Silver TDM 900, Scorpion cans, MRA screen, Heated Grips, Piramid Fender Extenda. Mitchelin PR3's, Oxford Soft luggage.  Now living with Sidestand

2015 BMW R1200GS , in Frost Blue, Adventure screen, cruise control, quickshifter, heated grips, ESA , BM panniers but Givi topbox.                                                          

#9 ChrisG

ChrisG

Resident vulture

• 8,276 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 26 June 2014 - 10:45 pm

Navigation and directions wise I much prefer the Tomtom.  The weak point of the Tomtom Riders though is the mounting shoe which can wear and get a bit loose, eventually causing charging problems.  The Garmin mounts much mroe securely but I don't like its display anywhere near as much.

Newer Tomtoms (since the Rider 2) get you the winding roads mode which take forever to get you anywhere but you'll love the ride.

1992 Mk1, 76k miles, Hagon springs, MTC exhaust, 4½ gears Gone now :(
2009 900 abs, 42k miles, Yamaha heated grips, double bubble screen, R&G crash bungs, scottoiler, Autocom, 1500 lumen LED spotlights.

post-1-1152402501.jpgpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#10 JamieB86

JamieB86

sticking around

• 26 posts
  • TDM model: 1994

Posted 27 June 2014 - 07:15 am

If you're set on a bike based satnav this might not be of use to you but maybe for someone else. I was treated to a nice Oxford tank bag for my birthday last year and it has a waterproof clear pocket on top for a satnav, which still works on touch screen so I can use my cheapo old satnav out the van on the bike too. Worked a treat, although my bike at the time had such a small tank it was more of a bollock / tank bag - kept them warm though.

Also got a handy usb battery pack from maplin when I was doing a lot of riding away too which would give a few days of satnav and phone power.

#11 timoc

timoc

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 265 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 27 June 2014 - 08:12 am

I bought the Garmin 350lm this year, and am very pleased with it, but I have only ever bought Garmin  sat nav's.

Fitting is easy, the unit is secure in the mount, but its not lockable, so you need to keep taking the unit off when you stop. You can also send custom routes to the 350lm using Basecamp, although, I find Tyre mapping software much easier to use. It is pricy, but you do get life time map updates and a car mount as well as a bike mount. I have it connected to my intercom, blue tooth is easy to set up and works well. I would recommend it, but shop around, prices can vary.

No more a TDM owner :sorry: moved on to the Tracer :)

#12 Matlock

Matlock

Carpe Citizen

• 3,913 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 08:29 am

I've been using the TomTom Rider since 2007 or ‘08, pretty much since it came out. Agree with what everyone says about the mounting/charging - it's dire, I had two replaced under warranty and the sat nav itself replaced as the contacts wore through - another common problem. The latest holder/charger has lasted a few years now, but it's now slowly disintegrating and no longer charges reliably. I’ve also had problems with the on/off switch sometimes being difficult to work. Finally, in the last year the touch screen has started playing up. It seems to sense a touch about 15mm up from where I actually touched on the left hand side of the screen and it gets worse the closer you get to the bottom of the screen. However, I think TomTom have addressed both the mounting/charging bracket and the on/off switch issues in later versions. The touch screen issue is perhaps to be expected after 7 years of use in all weathers.

On the plus side, I like the interface and the ease of creating itineries, especially using the Tyre program. The rolling display is also very good, no delays and the upcoming corners can be seen and are pretty accurate, it’s saved me many times from an unexpectedly tight corner when I’ve not read the road ahead properly. Best not to rely on this feature, but it’s a useful aid.

So despite all the problems I’ve had, I’m going to stick with Tomtom. I’ve looked at Garmin units, but they seem even more pricey than Tomtom and there’s a whole new load of things I’ll need to learn. I’ve never wanted a car sat nav on the bike. It’s enough of an embuggerance having to get my wet weather kit on, without having to worry about the sat nav getting wet. I’ll be treating myself to a new Tomtom Rider V5 in the next few weeks.

2002 TDM900 in glorious yellowNOW SOLD  :( 

2012 Honda Crosstourer VFR1200X. Hyperspeed tourer.

1990 XTZ750 in black, standard apart from Micron silencer. Mechanical restoration complete, cosmetic restoration next on the agenda.. NOW SOLD  :( 

Follow me on twitter

#13 ChrisG

ChrisG

Resident vulture

• 8,276 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 27 June 2014 - 09:35 am

I’ll be treating myself to a new Tomtom Rider V5 in the next few weeks.

Don't forget to post a review up on here when you do. If and when I get round to replacing my V2 I think it'll be a toss up between that and using my phone. I was very impressed with CoPilot running on Maximus's phone the other year in France, I'd done my usual of planning a route on interesting looking roads using maps/laptop and uploading it to my Tomtom, and the route his CoPilot plotted was virtually identical. Given how many phone are now waterproof, and I can even charge mine without losing the waterproofing, I think the only downside of using a phone is the screen isn't as readable in bright sunlight. £30 for CoPilot vs £300 for a Rider V.

1992 Mk1, 76k miles, Hagon springs, MTC exhaust, 4½ gears Gone now :(
2009 900 abs, 42k miles, Yamaha heated grips, double bubble screen, R&G crash bungs, scottoiler, Autocom, 1500 lumen LED spotlights.

post-1-1152402501.jpgpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#14 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,754 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 27 June 2014 - 09:52 am

Have to agree about Copilot, world maps included for £34 in 2012.....if you want an adventure, motorcycle mode on Copilot will take you, i could'nt justify £300+ for a dedicated Bike nav.....it's a lot of petrol.

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#15 Matlock

Matlock

Carpe Citizen

• 3,913 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 10:52 am

I hadn't thought about phone sat navs, certainly worth considering. My (iPhone) isn't waterproof, can you get decent waterproof covers and decent brackets? I'd be worried about the phone handling the vibration too.

2002 TDM900 in glorious yellowNOW SOLD  :( 

2012 Honda Crosstourer VFR1200X. Hyperspeed tourer.

1990 XTZ750 in black, standard apart from Micron silencer. Mechanical restoration complete, cosmetic restoration next on the agenda.. NOW SOLD  :( 

Follow me on twitter

#16 lparker

lparker

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 275 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 27 June 2014 - 11:11 am

You can get a i phone waterproof case and charging lead that connects to the bike either with a ram mount to bars or a yoke mount for sports bikes. My mate has one and works well but data is used unless you can find an offline mapping app like navfree but that's only free on android I think.
Back tooriginal question. Personally I have the garmin 550 and yes it is a little more clunky to look at but it does a very good job in my opinion. Never fails to work and has good connectivity for blue tooth and to my autocom. Holder is sturdy and does not move at all and a special key locks it onto bike so thieving fingers won't take it when it's parked!
The Tom Tom rider my mate has and this may not be a problem and may be user error but I plan all my router for trips beforehand using the tyre to travel software and then we both load it onto our sat navs. One problem with Tom tom I've found is where as the garmin you can click on a pre programmed day and it will just follow it perfectly the Tom Tom will still try and navigate you the fastest route between all the points you have preprogrammed into it, so point a to b was without motorways when I did it at home but when following it on the bike it's trying to take you back on! Pointless! I do like the look of the screen on the TomTom better but imo the garmin has the edge.

#17 Retro

Retro

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 242 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 27 June 2014 - 12:26 pm

I use a Garmin handheld, Half the price of a Zumo. Mount costs a tenner. I choose to use rechargeables, battery lasts about 18hrs depending on how much attention you are paying. Theyre waterproof and robust. I beleive the SAS used them in Irac. Garmins come with there own route planning software. Where you can controll to some extent routing preferences.

I can display the grid/long/lat references of where i've broken down to get help. Proved really usefull last year when a mate wiped-out in the middle of North Yorkshire. I could give the Air Ambulance a grid ref right to his bust body

I never ride faster than my angel can fly

#18 Matt101

Matt101

full o shoite

• 2,391 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 07:26 pm

I hadn't thought about phone sat navs, certainly worth considering. My (iPhone) isn't waterproof, can you get decent waterproof covers and decent brackets? I'd be worried about the phone handling the vibration too.

Have a look here https://www.buybits....logue/3236.aspx

I bought one for my Galaxy S3 (no good now as I have an S5) Nice bit of kit and totally waterproof. Mount to a Ram ball so vibration is no problem either.

#19 TDMick

TDMick

TDMick

• 3,830 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 09:31 pm

I'm so impressed with navfree, I paid up for the full version.
I might be tempted with tom tom be though.

Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional
Who dies with the most toys wins!

2010 'stealth' grey 900. '14 plate. engine bars, Centre stand, datatool alarm, datatag, E22s, Cree DRLs, Barkbuster handguards, Carpe sticker. Led running lights

#20 Hartside Man

Hartside Man

Old Moaning Git !!

• RTT manager(RTT)
  • 3,247 posts
  • Location:On Hartside more often than not ! But Live in Carlisle UK

Posted 27 June 2014 - 10:56 pm

have used a dedicated garmin 550 for years ( now my eyes are getting old) i found it more and more awkward to see and operate the small screen . so i started looking for alternatives .. .settled on a garmin 6 inch widescreen and managed to get it mounted on a ram mount ( have got some ideas on keeping it dry in wet weather ( luckily so far i aint needed it ) good weather. 

anyhow you don't get the bluetooth with car model but to be honest it was not used much in the last 6 years with my 550 ... one thing to remember though you CANNOT program and upload itineraries to the new car tom-toms (start and go series onwards) . from a PC  you can however upload to nearly all garmin devices ....and the gamins usually have expandable memory as well ) 

the 6 inch widescreen has just done near on 2000 miles on some of the roughest toughest roads in the lakes , moors and west coast of scotland so i think they are robust enough , had one lockup but i think that was because i was hot plugging the power in and out without powering down the sat nav 

mines the nuvi 66LM (lifetime maps and all of europe ) £159 quid in halfords .

Edited by Hartside Man, 27 June 2014 - 10:58 pm.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I have a Ghost S and i'm not afraid to use it !

A Beast in Orange Called KaTie eM 

"Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul".

"So you just ride somewhere, eat cake and then ride back".

"Normal people believe that if it ain't broken, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain't broken, it doesn't have enough features yet."

" I We're Ridin so Fast , I we're sucking Rabbits from the Hedges "   {Guy Martin}

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users