#1 jiff

jiff

Knight of Postsalot

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 09 July 2014 - 12:17 pm

....has anybody taken out a Carole Nash 'six wheel' policy........?

what this means is that your car & your bike are covered by the same policy.....(in my case car & two bikes, though one on a SORN)

the advantage seems to be that you 'should' save between £60 & £100+......at least partially because certain items which would appear, and need paying for, on each individual policy, for bike & for car, don't require duplication in the joint policy......like legal representation, breakdown recovery etc.....also, via some different mechanism, the cost of protecting your NCB.....

A downside is that, the cover for bike & car needs to be concurrent, thus a payment will need to be made on one existing policy to cover the period to bring its 'start date' to coincide with the other.....but obviously that's only for the initial alignment in the first year.
There maybe implications thereafter to do with bike & car insurance being locked together....but of course you can always cancel or not renew, if you have reason to feel that separate policies are preferable....
....like spreading the cost so you don't have to shell out all at once......

Interested to know of anyones experience.......in as far as I could get my head round the whole gig, it would appear likely to save me £100+ next year (my bike is already with CN)

........jiff

#2 butcher650

butcher650

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 09 July 2014 - 01:36 pm

Interesting conception there from CN. I work in the insurance industry and for one of the big ones that do multi-car insurance. When they first introduced it, I worked in the contact centre selling it and doing customer service on it. I now work in the IT dept that maintains its rating/acceptance structure and algorithms. 

It does offer a saving for the first year, and if you are claim free, live in a good area etc etc, it tends to be very good thereafter that as well. (My parents have it for their cars). The only downside which is stopping me having it at home for my car and the other half's car, is that it will align the renewal dates, so if you do then decide to go with separate policies a year or two down the line, you then have two cars due for renewal at the same time as opposed to one. I should imagine the 6 wheel policy with CN would work the same.  

This 6 wheel policy seems great like multi-car insurance policies, but the only thing that would stop me is the alignment of renewal dates. Some say its easier because its less to think about, but for me I don't want the expense all at once if you do then change again. This however is of course, just my humble opinion! 

#3 Favs

Favs

Sir Cumference

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,395 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 09 July 2014 - 02:40 pm

Priced this up in June (bike due). Was cheaper to wait until Jan (car due) for a more realistic price - starting it in June I would have been £50 ish out of pocket!

Single-handedly reviving the Wave.

2008 reg. Black TDM 900 ABS

#4 dmmsta

dmmsta

supporter of the "Anti-Dazzle" Club

• 3,627 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 09 July 2014 - 03:12 pm

I looked at this a while back, and it was significantly more to have their 6 wheel policy that 2 separate policies with different insurers...

The car is a 53 plate 1.6 Golf - nothing fancy and no mods of any sort, so other than being a VW isn't a big risk motor.

MY06 TDM 900 Blue over Silver 354906_45.png
-----
Fuel Pipes
Givi Top Box
Renthal 758's
Grip Puppies
MRA Bubble
Dip & Hi HIDs

To-Do:
LED DRLs
Loobman
Powercoat Wheels
Hand Guards

-----
MY04 TDM 900 Blue over Silver Parts Bin
MY02 TDM 900 Yellow over Black RIP
post-1-1150550733.gif...post-1-1150559830.gif...copilot_zpsgezqc0xz.jpg...hids.jpg...

#5 Oafski

Oafski

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 141 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 09 July 2014 - 06:19 pm

I had this for just over a year. CN charged like a wounded Rhinoceros from July until September until the Car renewal and the renewal premium a year later was eye watering. Got two separate policies through Swintons and they give me £50 cash back for having a Car insured through them on the bike Bike policy and £30 cash back on the Bike one for having the Car with them.

"No good deed goes unpunished"

"Lags Droopfinger" The Biking Viking

OCD- Old Coffin Dodger

#6 Robodene

Robodene

Robodene

• 1,514 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 11 July 2014 - 02:13 pm

I keep my car and two bikes all on separate policies because it gives me flexibility - to change insurers. That I think is the way to have a chance of decent premiums. My Ireland-residing son rides one of my bikes and that is a complication which I can contain in one policy.
1940s Ariel 350 (ex-military) Khaki > Black & White '56' Kymco Venox 250 Metallic Grey '56' TDM 900/A (ABS) Silver[b] '56' Yamaha MT-03 White <p>[b] '14' Yamaha MT-07 Matt Grey[b] '17' Honda Rebel 500 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users