#1 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,085 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 11 July 2014 - 08:00 pm

Been working on this very nice Trumpet 5T for a fellow carpe member, went Brummm cough cough, briefly for the first time in over 20 years today, after rebuilding the distributor with new bushes, contacts, condensor etc.

We still have a way to go solving fuel leaks from tank taps, carb and making new tank holding bolts etc.... but she lives !

It's been a real pleasure doing this one.  :good:

rebuilt Lucas dizzy:

IMG_4557_zps11bd9225.jpg

the bike:

2014-07-11-020_zps95d972d9.jpg

2002 900 silver,oil pressure switch with brass 90 degree conversion, RG fork protectors. Wilburs custom made rear Shock with remote hydraulic preload and RG shocktube, Wilburs front springs. Scotoiler with a custom made swing arm delivery unit. Silicone radiator hoses.BMW 1150 handguards with Touratech extensions, Carbon Fibre yoke cover and fender extenda, MRA flip screen, Yamaha Engine bars, SW Motech Centre Stand, Kappa wingrack three box Luggage with E21's as option from the K960 boxes, Zumo 660 satnav on Touratech mount, Led Voltage monitor, Baglux tank cover, Clear LED Rear light, Aux LED brake light, BikeVis bullet LED's under front  nose,Stainless rear axle nut, stainless chain adjusters, stainless wheel spacers front and rear, Probolt Polished Stainless Flanged Hex engine screws, Polished stainless fairing screws, stainless disc bolts. Titanium brake pins front, Probolt Titanium Flanged Hex Front Caliper Bolts & Rear caliper slide pins Adventure Spec Tool tube under rear rack, left and right sides with custom alloy mounts.<p>Top Sellerie double gel pad seat. Carbon Fibre inner dash and side infill panels. Anodised black alloy swingarm pivot bolt covers and footpegs, Nano II Gear indicator.

#2 jono49

jono49

has been here 4ever

• 1,183 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 11 July 2014 - 09:37 pm

Isn't it great setting up a set of points out of the machine :good: Great pictures Lee, and what a cracking bike too, a credit do the owner!!! :badgerrock:

Don't get confused between my personality
and my attitude. My personality is who I am,
my attitude depends on who YOU are!

Skinny people are easy to kidnap.....Stay safe and eat cake!!!!!

#3 Sidarta

Sidarta

just half a litre to go

• 845 posts
  • TDM model: 2001

Posted 11 July 2014 - 09:41 pm

Hi leehenty!

You will live many years lee.
A man does what he loves and deal daily with motorcycles.
Beautiful and good job on a beautiful motorcycle, which is a real gem
This system ditribuição, reminded me of my first motorcycle.
A Honda CB350 year 1972 that worked with 2 platinum.
Thanks for the post, made ​​me go back and with good memories.

PS: please one question; Trumpet is how you call the British Triumph (ex: BMW = Beemer)
Or trumpet T5 is a model manufactured by Triumph?

Cheers!

Att
Sidarta 

TDM850 ano 2001
 Honda XLX 250 1988 
Honda Tornado 2005 - Honda CB400 1982 
Honda CB350 1972 e 1973

#4 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• 5,085 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 11:10 pm

Trumpet means British Triumph of the 1950's. it's much easier to work on than modern machines, very satisfying, things were much simpler back then.

Distributor body is made of cast iron and the rotor shaft was rusty and quite pitted. I turned off the pits in the lathe by 0.15mm, then made undersized bushes pressed in to fit the slightly over size 0.20mm cleaned up bore in the body.

Good as new, should last for many years now. The bike has just over 3000 miles on the original clock.

It's the standing that did the damage, not miles.

I'll need to give it a short test run of er 200 miles ? ..... I may be some time  :yeyeye:

Edited by leehenty, 12 July 2014 - 09:22 am.

2002 900 silver,oil pressure switch with brass 90 degree conversion, RG fork protectors. Wilburs custom made rear Shock with remote hydraulic preload and RG shocktube, Wilburs front springs. Scotoiler with a custom made swing arm delivery unit. Silicone radiator hoses.BMW 1150 handguards with Touratech extensions, Carbon Fibre yoke cover and fender extenda, MRA flip screen, Yamaha Engine bars, SW Motech Centre Stand, Kappa wingrack three box Luggage with E21's as option from the K960 boxes, Zumo 660 satnav on Touratech mount, Led Voltage monitor, Baglux tank cover, Clear LED Rear light, Aux LED brake light, BikeVis bullet LED's under front  nose,Stainless rear axle nut, stainless chain adjusters, stainless wheel spacers front and rear, Probolt Polished Stainless Flanged Hex engine screws, Polished stainless fairing screws, stainless disc bolts. Titanium brake pins front, Probolt Titanium Flanged Hex Front Caliper Bolts & Rear caliper slide pins Adventure Spec Tool tube under rear rack, left and right sides with custom alloy mounts.<p>Top Sellerie double gel pad seat. Carbon Fibre inner dash and side infill panels. Anodised black alloy swingarm pivot bolt covers and footpegs, Nano II Gear indicator.

#5 ChrisG

ChrisG

Resident vulture

• 8,276 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 12 July 2014 - 06:19 am

That's pretty

1992 Mk1, 76k miles, Hagon springs, MTC exhaust, 4½ gears Gone now :(
2009 900 abs, 42k miles, Yamaha heated grips, double bubble screen, R&G crash bungs, scottoiler, Autocom, 1500 lumen LED spotlights.

post-1-1152402501.jpgpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#6 muddy

muddy

full o shoite

• 2,973 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 12 July 2014 - 07:11 am

lovely that Lee.

Blue 04 TDM,PR2 rear Roadsmart front, Yamaha topox, Givi E360 panniers, PL pannier holders, BMW handguards, Yamaha touring screen, Scottoiler, 12v ciggie socket, carbon core HT leads

Gorn :sorry:

#7 jlmtdm

jlmtdm

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 500 posts
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 12 July 2014 - 07:20 am

It was a very good day yesterday and great to hear the old girl again.

Will be nice to have her finaly running and reliable again many thanks to Lee for his technical know how I need to lay my hands on a few bits and bobs and look forward to our finishing session will keep peeps posted and when we get there hopefully we can have a little running video.

#8 muddy

muddy

full o shoite

• 2,973 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 12 July 2014 - 09:20 am

Ah, it's close then. Might get to see and hear it next fettle day Jason, should Ali decide to host another one.

Edited by muddy, 12 July 2014 - 10:44 am.

Blue 04 TDM,PR2 rear Roadsmart front, Yamaha topox, Givi E360 panniers, PL pannier holders, BMW handguards, Yamaha touring screen, Scottoiler, 12v ciggie socket, carbon core HT leads

Gorn :sorry:

#9 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• 5,085 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 09:37 am

Sometimes the simplest things in life give the most pleasure, thanks Jason for giving me a most enjoyable day mate.

Engineering at it's best, good workshop with hifi classicfm, plenty of tools, tea on tap, old bike on ramp much older than me, successful job......perfect.

#10 ric

ric

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 190 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 12 July 2014 - 10:22 am

Always preferred BSAs, not sure why, but that's a beauty and well worth all the effort. Would love to see it when it's on the road again.

#11 trevini

trevini

has been here 4ever

• 1,777 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 12 July 2014 - 10:51 am

Blimey that brings back memories.  I used to have one of those.  Had a couple of 3TAs too.

Lovely bike.

2004 Galaxy Blue. Owned since 486 miles.Renthal 755 bars, Bagster tank cover, Oxford heated grips, DL650 hand guards, Double Bubble screen, Scorpion Rad guard, Gel pad insert, HLD undertray, Angry Badger tailtidy,  Michelin Road 5s, Givi E21s, E46 topbox, Ohlins shock and YSS cartridge emulators   Currently not fitted - PC3, Remus Revolutions.

LCErj.jpg

Putting up with the "niner" jokes since 2005
Check out http://www.hotcoldground.co.uk we're really rather good!
Like food? I feed people -  SmokinGrillGuy <p>

#12 jlmtdm

jlmtdm

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 500 posts
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 12 July 2014 - 05:07 pm

We restored this bike , well Dad did about 35 years ago I first rode this when I was about 15yrs old and spent a fair bit of time as a pillion on the back with my brother.

Ok we pushed it around a lot as it was allways a little  unreliable I think the distributor was not delved into too much hense Lee,s lathe action and subsequent overhaul.

It sat for years unused but stored nicely I then rode it around now and then in my early thirties and have not started it since It was one of my first big  bikes after passing my test that and the fookin brick so nice to have it still .

Yes I said fookin I got that one back to me last month it will be restored will get some pictures up on that when I can downsize them.

Sure we can do a vid with some sound later .

Attached Files

Edited by jlmtdm, 12 July 2014 - 05:09 pm.

#13 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• 5,085 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 05:39 pm

at least the flying brick will be metric, some of these old BSF thread sizes give me a headache finding the right sized hex bar to start from, to make special bolts.

The brick's Final drive bearings will be a difficult job, much harder than a drive chain though.

Ivan will be along shortly to show you the error of your ways. :lol:

#14 Quartermaster

Quartermaster

900 going for ... 1000cc?

• 927 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 12 July 2014 - 08:24 pm

I had a 1953 Speed Twin for several years in the late 80's. I absolutely loved it. Rigid frame and the infamous "sprung hub" an early attempt at rear wheel steering although apparently it was supposed to be a suspension aid. The 500s were always, in my opinion, nicer than the 650s, better balanced, less vibes and they just thrummed along without complaint. This could get you into big trouble as the front brake was totally useless and you tended to get lulled into a false sense of security. My business is automotive brakes and even I couldn't get the bug..r to stop. Rammed the back of a Transit one, Trumpet front forks are stronger than you might think!

'73 Honda CB500 Four, Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 and Triumph Tiger Sport 660.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users