leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,080 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 25 July 2014 - 09:36 pm

Lathe motor under a fair load suddenly stopped today.   :sorry:

The motor AC/DC controller had decided to call it a day by getting all overheated.

Replaced it's fuse but it blew again with lots of sparks. I'm dead in the water until DHL turn up with a new one so I'll go ride my bike instead.

It's one of those smt mount inverter type things so I ordered a more beefy one with a bigger heatsink so it should have a bit of headroom when working hard.

2002 900 silver,oil pressure switch with brass 90 degree conversion, RG fork protectors. Wilburs custom made rear Shock with remote hydraulic preload and RG shocktube, Wilburs front springs. Scotoiler with a custom made swing arm delivery unit. Silicone radiator hoses.BMW 1150 handguards with Touratech extensions, Carbon Fibre yoke cover and fender extenda, MRA flip screen, Yamaha Engine bars, SW Motech Centre Stand, Kappa wingrack three box Luggage with E21's as option from the K960 boxes, Zumo 660 satnav on Touratech mount, Led Voltage monitor, Baglux tank cover, Clear LED Rear light, Aux LED brake light, BikeVis bullet LED's under front  nose,Stainless rear axle nut, stainless chain adjusters, stainless wheel spacers front and rear, Probolt Polished Stainless Flanged Hex engine screws, Polished stainless fairing screws, stainless disc bolts. Titanium brake pins front, Probolt Titanium Flanged Hex Front Caliper Bolts & Rear caliper slide pins Adventure Spec Tool tube under rear rack, left and right sides with custom alloy mounts.<p>Top Sellerie double gel pad seat. Carbon Fibre inner dash and side infill panels. Anodised black alloy swingarm pivot bolt covers and footpegs, Nano II Gear indicator.

#2 RSRocket

RSRocket

900 going for ... 1000cc?

• 991 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 25 July 2014 - 10:27 pm

Sounds like a Plan, pal of mines father dealt in lathes and it was a baptisamn of fire as a fourteen year old lugging them around.
24 Hours in a Day, 24 beers in a tray !

"I think the firing orders wrong! : ) "
"I do it with Twins"

Lone Wolf Rider

#3 arthurbikemad

arthurbikemad

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 573 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 26 July 2014 - 07:16 am

Phase converters and speed controllers are great, but do you ever get the feeling any time you involve electronics things are likely to go pop. You should see our old lathe here mate, it's about 50 years old and knee deep in swarf...lol
2012 Grey 900, Dual HIDs, Fork gaiters, Yam centre stand, Givi crash bars, S320 DRLs custom mounts, PAIR removed, Modded airbox, K&N, Warrior cans, PC3 - Custom map 81bhp @ 65ft-lb, Lambda removed, HM Quickshifter (removed), Evans waterless coolant, Hel lines, Dome SS exhaust nuts, Clear winker lenses, Yamaha +145 Screen + MRA X-creen, Heated grips with relay cut out and custom carbon mount, DL Hand Guards and milled bar ends, SW barback risers, 5w SMD LED side light, LED stop/tail reflectors, 2 x Front mudguard extenders, Custom rear under hugger, Hugger extender, Wrapped HT leads, Aux power sockets, Givi V47NN Top box with LED stop, SW motech mount, Givi PL347 mount and E21s, SW Motech Evo Tank bag, Stainless rad guard, Top Sellerie gel seat, RAM mounts for sat nav and phone, Handy tube and more.     Follow me on twitter @arthurbikemad

#4 arthurbikemad

arthurbikemad

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 573 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 07:29 am

Here you go Lee, some horror pics for you, if you enter this place you may never find your way out, I give you my fathers workshop, some things in here like old magnetos etc have not moved since about 1960, I kid you not!!  If your down my way he has 12 acres of this kind of Aladdin's cave.

Somewhere at the back is a big old lathe, I use it still to this day and have done all my life, when you can get to it...

(dear customers please note this is NOT my workshop...lol)

Foto-A8C6Y7NK.jpg

http://www.myalbum.c...to-A8C6Y7NK.jpg

Foto-S84DXKMI.jpg

Foto-HB4YT67W.jpg

Nuts, bolts and robins ;)

Foto-AZOOKJVE.jpg

Winter time tool care ha ha

Sorry to invade your thread with my blabberings.

Edited by arthurbikemad, 26 July 2014 - 07:37 am.

2012 Grey 900, Dual HIDs, Fork gaiters, Yam centre stand, Givi crash bars, S320 DRLs custom mounts, PAIR removed, Modded airbox, K&N, Warrior cans, PC3 - Custom map 81bhp @ 65ft-lb, Lambda removed, HM Quickshifter (removed), Evans waterless coolant, Hel lines, Dome SS exhaust nuts, Clear winker lenses, Yamaha +145 Screen + MRA X-creen, Heated grips with relay cut out and custom carbon mount, DL Hand Guards and milled bar ends, SW barback risers, 5w SMD LED side light, LED stop/tail reflectors, 2 x Front mudguard extenders, Custom rear under hugger, Hugger extender, Wrapped HT leads, Aux power sockets, Givi V47NN Top box with LED stop, SW motech mount, Givi PL347 mount and E21s, SW Motech Evo Tank bag, Stainless rad guard, Top Sellerie gel seat, RAM mounts for sat nav and phone, Handy tube and more.     Follow me on twitter @arthurbikemad

#5 Matt101

Matt101

full o shoite

• 2,391 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 26 July 2014 - 07:43 am

Sort of place I love. Have a good ferret around and be amazed at what I find!

#6 Catteeclan

Catteeclan

full o shoite

• 2,433 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 07:47 am

Sort of place I love. Have a good ferret around and be amazed at what I find!

Me too.

2002 TDM900 Yellow

#7 arthurbikemad

arthurbikemad

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 573 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 07:52 am

Here you go:-

Foto-SEDO87J8.jpg

http://www.myalbum.c...to-SEDO87J8.jpg

Again sorry Lee for plastering my pics all over your thread, anyone is welcome to come down to my old mans.  www.arthurwruddsupplies.co.uk tea, coffee, chat, sit by the lake, whatever.... be great to see some TDM's roll up...lol

#8 TDMick

TDMick

TDMick

• 3,830 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 09:30 am

Any fish in the lake?

:)

Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional
Who dies with the most toys wins!

2010 'stealth' grey 900. '14 plate. engine bars, Centre stand, datatool alarm, datatag, E22s, Cree DRLs, Barkbuster handguards, Carpe sticker. Led running lights

#9 arthurbikemad

arthurbikemad

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 573 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 09:46 am

Yep, bring your mates :)

#10 TDMick

TDMick

TDMick

• 3,830 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 10:23 am

:good:

Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional
Who dies with the most toys wins!

2010 'stealth' grey 900. '14 plate. engine bars, Centre stand, datatool alarm, datatag, E22s, Cree DRLs, Barkbuster handguards, Carpe sticker. Led running lights

#11 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• 5,080 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 01:42 pm

diagnosed the scr's are shorted to the the earth tabs, but it also took out the tiny smt chips that tells them what to do and vaporised half the board tracks. New beefy one on the way £70. Nice place your dad has there.  A proper workshop place.

The lathe will be modded, there seems to be a distinct lack of fuses on outputs and that and several earth points are not um earthed. Looks like the chinaman who made this one was on his rice break. The control board is american oddly.

http://www.axiscontr...kbic-range/9464

2002 900 silver,oil pressure switch with brass 90 degree conversion, RG fork protectors. Wilburs custom made rear Shock with remote hydraulic preload and RG shocktube, Wilburs front springs. Scotoiler with a custom made swing arm delivery unit. Silicone radiator hoses.BMW 1150 handguards with Touratech extensions, Carbon Fibre yoke cover and fender extenda, MRA flip screen, Yamaha Engine bars, SW Motech Centre Stand, Kappa wingrack three box Luggage with E21's as option from the K960 boxes, Zumo 660 satnav on Touratech mount, Led Voltage monitor, Baglux tank cover, Clear LED Rear light, Aux LED brake light, BikeVis bullet LED's under front  nose,Stainless rear axle nut, stainless chain adjusters, stainless wheel spacers front and rear, Probolt Polished Stainless Flanged Hex engine screws, Polished stainless fairing screws, stainless disc bolts. Titanium brake pins front, Probolt Titanium Flanged Hex Front Caliper Bolts & Rear caliper slide pins Adventure Spec Tool tube under rear rack, left and right sides with custom alloy mounts.<p>Top Sellerie double gel pad seat. Carbon Fibre inner dash and side infill panels. Anodised black alloy swingarm pivot bolt covers and footpegs, Nano II Gear indicator.

#12 arthurbikemad

arthurbikemad

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 573 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 02:39 pm

Stick up some pics of the PCB and new system mate :)

#13 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• 5,080 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 10:12 pm

Thanks to DHL, I'm back in business  :banana:   but now I'm sore from lugging the machinery around. Did a bit of poking about and it seems the miller shares the same board with a 3/4 hp resistor plugged in, so I'll mod that one too before it goes bang.

These control 180 volt DC brushed motors, AC vector inverter driveswould be nice but £600 a pop is too much.

#14 Matt101

Matt101

full o shoite

• 2,391 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 27 July 2014 - 09:09 am

Anybody else got lost with Lees technical speak?😕

#15 Limbo

Limbo

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 486 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 03:04 pm

What you need is a frequency inverter.
Here you have to pay attention to the Volts and Amps of the motor.
The amps are welcome to be a bit bigger.
I still have a kelnen frequency inverter.

You get it cheap in all sizes on Ebay.

Limbo

without stockings and shoes I can count up to twenty wonderful

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users