• Please log in to reply
135 replies to this topic

#21 AndyMc

AndyMc

arrived on last train

• 6 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 27 October 2015 - 06:51 pm

I have my IAM and had ROSPA and the only difference is that you will get retested every three years with ROSPA to make sure you are maintaining your standard. after doing my IAM I have never had to retest at all. Any training from advanced, police days and even track day instruction will enhance your riding and is worth it. insurance companies do give discount for some of the qualifications so it's always worth asking. andymc
R1 race/track bike and TDM 900. Previously more bikes than you can shake a stick at 😊

#22 idlebloke

idlebloke

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 554 posts
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 29 November 2015 - 06:13 pm

Nice to hear that you had a friendly observer!

Been a ROSPA Associate member for a few years now, but never actually taken the test (talking about my car here) and tbh not been for an observed drive for probably about a year.  Think I'll ask for somebody different.  The bloke that was coming out with me was forever nit picking about stuff that I know to be irrelevant.  I think he had a bit of a chip on his shoulder that if you came along as a good driver to start with (aren't all bike riders automatically better car drivers? ;-) ), that he had to try and disregard your age, knowledge and experience and keep expecting me to know the simplest basics as worded in the Roadcraft book (fine if you're a youngster learning, but most of us have learned over the years via osmosis and experience).  Add the fact that he has paid to go out on drives with Chris Gilbert made him a right PIA http://www.driving4tomorrow.com/

#23 RolfieB

RolfieB

has been here 4ever

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts
  • TDM model: 2001

Posted 30 November 2015 - 07:17 pm

If you're not happy with your tutor, then you should definitely ask for a change.

Here's hoping 2nd time around you get someone you click with.

Now I just fly everywhere.

Be yourself, because everybody else is taken.

Gone to new owner.

Black Mk2a

PipeWerx Exhaust, Gold Spots, Goodridge Hoses, Scottoiler,Oil Pressure Indicator, Nippy Normans fuze box,Touratech Handguards,Oxford Heated Grips, Power Socket, Hard Wiring for Sat Nav, Gear Indicator built into the rev counter. Givi E50 Top box & E21 side cases, Bagster Tank Cover & Bag.

#24 NickIAM

NickIAM

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 30 November 2015 - 08:05 pm

I had a wonderful chap as my IAM observer. We have become good friends. I went out for a mock test with another chap and found him too strict and was relieved he had not been my observer as I would have hated it...

Then the day of the test came and the police examiner was a lot like that chap, and I wished I'd paid more attention to him. I still got a good pass, but the bits he was criticising were the same bits that the other chap pulled me up on.

:)

Yeah, I've done the IAM. And yeah, I recommend it (any so-called 'advanced training' come to that; not just IAM): A low cost training course based on the system used by the police, which is largely common sense once pointed out, making one smoother, quicker and safer. What's not to like? And why would one not want to tell others?  :hide:

#25 Geordie Guy

Geordie Guy

Carpe Citizen

• 3,502 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 10:35 pm

I did my IAM 10 years ago.

Once I had it ... it was for life ?

Wanted to do my RoSPA test so joined the Merseyside and Lancashire RoSPA group http://www.roadarmerseyside.org/

Passed with a Gold and because you get a free test every 3 yeasr, it keeps your skills up. Passed with a Gold second time, became a Tutor then Advanced Tutor.

Got Awarded Tutor of the year in 2015 in our group.

I can say that it is harder to pass the RoSPA with a Bronze than a standard pass with the IAM. the reason why I know this is that we get them joining straight after their IAM test and they have so much more to learn.  It is all basically the same but its the subtle and consistent demonstrating a high standard of observation and planning that is so hard to maintain.

If your RoSPA tutor is not to your liking change them.

As said above any advanced training will help, whether that is IAM, RoSPA or the Enhanced Riding Scheme.

Cheers, Ivan

Edited by Geordie Guy, 02 December 2015 - 10:36 pm.

I'm a TDM SNOB !!!!     "Adventure before Dementia"  

Kawasaki GT550, XJ900 Diversion, 2002 TDM 900 , 2008 TDM 900a, 2010 TDM 900a.

#26 NickIAM

NickIAM

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 08:14 am

Hee hee... Rossi! No, Marquez!... (IAM! No, RoSPA!)...

Well done on all your training etc. And you are obviously a RoSPA not IAM chap. However, I suspect the quality of each probably varies between areas.

My IAM instructor has his Masters, and was previously a ROPSA member for many years (excuse the word in all caps. Easier than swapping to do the small 'o').

Other info suggests elsewhere the First IAM pass was (in that area) the ROSPA Gold equivalent. A good IAM pass was equivalent to a ROSPA silver, and an IAM scrape through was a ROSPA bronze. Certainly in our area the examiner does both tests, IAM and ROSPA.

But I can understand areas will differ. And further and additional training is always beneficial.

Rossi, Rossi, Rossi!

Yeah, I've done the IAM. And yeah, I recommend it (any so-called 'advanced training' come to that; not just IAM): A low cost training course based on the system used by the police, which is largely common sense once pointed out, making one smoother, quicker and safer. What's not to like? And why would one not want to tell others?  :hide:

#27 RolfieB

RolfieB

has been here 4ever

• 1,069 posts
  • TDM model: 2001

Posted 06 December 2015 - 09:42 am

I went down the RoSPA path purely so I have to retake my test every 3 years. There by knowing that my standards do not slip. Well, not by much anyway.

Now I just fly everywhere.

Be yourself, because everybody else is taken.

Gone to new owner.

Black Mk2a

PipeWerx Exhaust, Gold Spots, Goodridge Hoses, Scottoiler,Oil Pressure Indicator, Nippy Normans fuze box,Touratech Handguards,Oxford Heated Grips, Power Socket, Hard Wiring for Sat Nav, Gear Indicator built into the rev counter. Givi E50 Top box & E21 side cases, Bagster Tank Cover & Bag.

#28 NickIAM

NickIAM

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts

Posted 06 December 2015 - 10:11 am

Tell me, the ROSPA re-test, is that just an observed ride or the highway code too?

That's why I opted for the IAM. I have the memory of a goldfish (warning: overshare - dyslexic).

The observed ride I could happily retake, but the weeks of swatting up on the highway code before the test was less than enjoyable.

#29 Geordie Guy

Geordie Guy

Carpe Citizen

• 3,502 posts

Posted 10 December 2015 - 06:33 am

yep, observed test could last up to an hour.

Then  sit down with a coffee and a in depth test on the Highway code, that is the whole book including cycling, horse riding and first aid.... everything!

That is because you as a motorcyclist need to know what other road users are allowed to do, so you can put it into your riding plan....

along with everything else they think they are allowed to do.

I'm a TDM SNOB !!!!     "Adventure before Dementia"  

Kawasaki GT550, XJ900 Diversion, 2002 TDM 900 , 2008 TDM 900a, 2010 TDM 900a.

#30 NickIAM

NickIAM

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts

Posted 10 December 2015 - 07:43 am

Then  sit down with a coffee and a in depth test on the Highway code, that is the whole book including cycling, horse riding and first aid.... everything!

Thanks. And while my swotting up on it for the first time (actually 2nd time, as I only did my DAS etc about 18 months earlier) since I was 17 was a valuable exercise, doing it every 3 years would be too much for me. (The last 6 months of each period would be spent studying every day and night.)

And that was what I was afraid of, and the sole reason I opted for IAM rather than ROSPA.

I don't disagree that it's good to know the highway code inside and out, but everything in balance. (I probably shouldn't eat all the cake and drink all the coffee I do either.)

Thanks

Edited by NickIAM, 10 December 2015 - 09:09 pm.

#31 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 4,667 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 04 January 2016 - 09:53 pm

In October 2014 I rode down to Carlisle to do Bikesafe with Cumbria Police.

Had a blast and would definitely recommend it....especially if you like the idea of being in a 3 bike sandwich with a police motorcyclist in the middle, swinging it around country lanes :)

Of course it was all about safety first, and from that I decided to try ROSPA, but for some reason, after contacting the local ROSPA secretary twice (Edinburgh and Lothians), via email, I got no reply.

I'll give it another go this year, probably with IAM because ROSPA don't seem to want to play around here 

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#32 alunl

alunl

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 05 January 2016 - 12:37 pm

I've now joined IAM as RoSPA don't seem interested in my area.
The fundamental cause of trouble in the world today is that the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
~ Bertrand Russell 1950

#33 sidestand

sidestand

Carpe Citizen

• 3,456 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 05 January 2016 - 07:28 pm

Need to get my IAM training sorted - joined last September & had no time to go with them yet !

post-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gifpost-1-1152402501.jpgThe older I get, the better I was

96 MkII in yellow & silver with bluespots, braided lines, Remus 2 into 1, Hagon rear shock & fork springs, bashplate, heated grips,Motech pannier racks, Road Attacks, Jockoiler, Baglux tank cover & bag. Gone to a far better place - hasn't it Remo?
Another 96 Mk2 in yellow & silver - absolutely standard & pristine ( apart from a butchered rear mudguard - but I'm looking for a new one
'76 Suzuki GT500 Stroker in need of a rebuild
'80 Yamaha XT250 mudplugger
another '81 XT250
'91 BMW R80GS - this one really will do a RTW trip
'05 BMW K1200S - inline four with a shaft
'10 BMW R1200GSA Anniversary Edition
'02 Fazer 1000 - 4 carbs are better than 2 ! - water pump rebuilt by Mr Ramrod Engineering
'00 Triumph Adventurer - Cruiser with a difference - British & a triple
Gary's Bathtub - '99 BMW K1200RS in luvverly pillarbox red . Now been Waspycycled to Nuneaton
And the Latest Addition - a nice BMW G650 XCountry greenlaner - on long term loan to Boy Wonder

1996 Kawasaki KH125 Stroker

2000 TDM Mk2A - nicely Studleyfied - Modified by Masterbrewer, but we've fixed that now !

BMW K1300R

2004 TDM 900 in Silver/Blue - heated grips, MRA vary screen, Wilbers rear shock & engine bars to fit 

BMW S1000XR in white 

#34 NickIAM

NickIAM

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts

Posted 05 January 2016 - 10:40 pm

There are a lot of informative videos on YouTube by some very good people. I always enjoyed the Advanced Biker series.

Many have instructions along the ride, but this one is just great to watch - amazing Road - like flying...

https://m.youtube.co...h?v=XA5VkFx7CjM

NOTE: it's occurred to me that without watching other vids with the commentary, or knowing a bit about advanced riding, the above video may not be very informative. But most of it's about the lines (to get the best view, and stay out of trouble, etc)

Edited by NickIAM, 05 January 2016 - 11:04 pm.

#35 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts

Posted 06 January 2016 - 12:14 am

Nice one Nick. Thats just 45 mins away from here.....cant wait for spring !

#36 NickIAM

NickIAM

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts

Posted 06 January 2016 - 09:34 am

Lucky you... We've got the A272, which stretches through East Sussex and West Sussex - a search on Google brings up a string of results on motorcycle accidents along the road - but it's not like that.

#37 NickIAM

NickIAM

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts

Posted 06 January 2016 - 10:09 am

A couple more examples (but there really are loads):

How to ride like a Police biker! Advanced motorcycle riding techniques and skills
https://m.youtube.co...fesearch=always

Advanced Motorcycle Training Demo
staffordshirebull
https://m.youtube.co...fesearch=always

#38 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts

Posted 06 January 2016 - 01:55 pm

Yes I've watched plenty.

Have you seen the S.E.G. working ? Very interesting to see how they work together...... The actual bike ride starts at about 4m20s

I remember before i did the BikeSafe course how I would often be on the 'wrong side' of the road, just because it gave a better natural view.....but i was always uncomfortable because I had the thought in the back of my mind that if the police ever saw me they would want to advise me about my 'dangerous' driving.

Then i did BikeSafe and realised that it wasn't just me who did it !

#39 steve27bha

steve27bha

needs a 2nd hobby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 780 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 07 January 2016 - 09:06 pm

I'll give it another go this year, probably with IAM because ROSPA don't seem to want to play around here 

Contact EDAM - you will get a good response. I may even see you there!

TDM900A 2008/09 in use, with     gallery_179098_391_770.jpg sml_gallery_179098_391_1145.jpg  gallery_179098_391_1206.jpg gallery_179098_391_253.jpg gallery_179098_391_82.jpg gallery_179098_391_725.gif gallery_179098_391_797.jpg gallery_179098_391_1396.jpg gallery_179098_391_501.jpg gallery_179098_391_316.jpg  gallery_179098_391_1768.jpg gallery_179098_391_106.jpggallery_179098_391_2170.jpg gallery_179098_391_1373.jpg

CBX750FE in reserve; Cagiva N90 125 now rebuilt & in use.

#40 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 10:02 pm

Thanks Steve. Seen EDAM before but not had time......12 Jan looks good though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users