#1 dandywarhol

dandywarhol

Carpe Citizen

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,324 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 15 June 2007 - 05:21 pm

Just had a conversation with a CG telesales operator who told me the Carole Gash "free" European Cover will only get you home if the value of the bike exceeds the cost of recovery to your home.

Now, pardon me for being sceptical but I've no idea how much it would cost to transport my bike from the southern/northern/easternmost tip of Europe to Edinburgh blink.gif

1967 Yamaha TD1C 250, 2014 Kawasaki W800, 2011 Aprilia Tuono 1000 V4, 2020 Yamaha XSR900

"At the cutting edge of technophobia" Scotland_180-animated-flag-gifs.gif mccoy.gif

#2 TDMTAM

TDMTAM

Carpe Citizen

• 4,205 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 15 June 2007 - 05:40 pm

QUOTE(dandywarhol @ Fri 15th Jun 2007, 06:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just had a conversation with a CG telesales operator who told me the Carole Gash "free" European Cover will only get you home if the value of the bike exceeds the cost of recovery to your home.

Now, pardon me for being sceptical but I've no idea how much it would cost to transport my bike from the southern/northern/easternmost tip of Europe to Edinburgh blink.gif

So if it costs to much are they going to buy you a new bike to replace your abandoned bike!!!!!
TAM
2008 TDM 900 in BLACK, MRA Vario, DL handguards & more to come
1994 TDM 850 mkI Silver, with Blueflame end can, Gone to a new owner & I kinda miss her!

th_09062006104.jpg th_02012009095.jpg

Only a Biker knows why a Dog sticks it head out the car window

#3 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,121 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 15 June 2007 - 05:43 pm

I think there is also summat in small print that says if its over 15yold you can whistle dixie......either way once I'm 10miles on me journey I'd be fegged.... the G seem to have gone down hill rapidly in the past few years.
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#4 Minty Hippo

Minty Hippo

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 15 June 2007 - 09:57 pm

QUOTE(dandywarhol @ Fri 15th Jun 2007, 04:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

They send em back from Bulgaria by bullock cart so you should be ok. Just. As long as the bullock don't get a blister on his hoof. unsure.gif

#5 Pict

Pict

Keep on keepin' on

• 6,257 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 15 June 2007 - 10:37 pm

QUOTE(Minty Hippo @ Fri 15th Jun 2007, 10:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
As long as the bullock don't get a blister on his hoof.

I guess there will be a disclaimer in the small print?

Dinotrike.jpg "It's a TDM, Jim, but not as we know it"

www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAHmEWim3to

Diamond black TDM 900A TRIKE, 2006 ABS model converted by Trike Design (Caerphilly, South Wales) prior to first registration in March 2007.

#6 stormy

stormy

RIP stormy

• Members
  • 1,637 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 17 June 2007 - 05:25 pm

From experience, I would never use Carole Nash even if it was the only option other than not using anything!

5 years ago, me and 3 friends set off for a 2 week tour taking in Interlaken, Northern Italy, down towards Monaco, back up through the centre of France.

On the return route, just outside Grasse on the Route de Napeleon, Dan ran his 3 year old TRX wide on a tight uphill left hander, and unfortuanately for him, there was a block of concrete sticking out of the bank. He hit this with both his bike, but also his right leg and knee. At the roadside amidst a lot of pain induced screaming, I honestly though he was going to lose the leg. He didn't, due to the help and assiatance given by the local Gendamaire(sp?), hospital and the three locals who stopped. Full credit to all those stopped and helped. The helicopter pilot who ferried him over the mountains to the hospital had to land on a very narrow section of roadway to effect the pickup, awesome skill watching him put the thing down on a fag packet sized area! good.gif

However, once he was stabalised and able to be coherent for a while, we discovered that he had taken out a Carole Nash holiday/accident insurance policy to cover (he thought) his hospital bill and bike repatriation. The hospital bill ran to a couple of grand, and the bike, no idea, but not cheap.

Using the telephone number given with his policy, all he got was "this number has not been recognised" every time he called it. So calling a mate in the UK, he eventually got through to CN to explain what had happened and to arrange his (and the bikes') recovery to the UK.

They first of all denied he had a policy with them, yet he had the policy in his hand, so where did that come from then?
Once they agreed that he did have a policy, they then tried to say it didn't cover motorcycling ..... strange
given it was taken out to cover a bike hoilday, (as a point of note, this has happened to me aswell with a bike specific touring company, insisting that you take out their bike policy, only to then discover following a tumble 3 days before the trip starts, that their policy doesn't cover biking ............ unsure.gif ).

Anyway to cut a long story short, CN agreed to pick up the hospital bill and the bike recovery, once Dan had paid for it first and then send them the bill for re-imbursement.

I met Dan a year later after this trip, still not had the bike back, and still not had any re-imbursement from CN, who, when contacted once back in the UK, denied ever having spoken to Dan. Ever.

So, be warned about CN, I wouldn't shag "her" with yours!.

AA 5* aren't much better.
RIP STORMY - killed by careless driver Oct 2009

currently owned ....
1996 YAMAHA TRX850 gone away for little holiday with Andrea
1997 YAMAHA TDM850 which are obviously an acquired taste. I fink I'm starting to get it now.....
1998 DUCATI 748 ... one way of keeping an old man broke.
1999 YAMAHA Thunderace there is STILL no finer motorcycle
2008 SUZUKI Bandit 1250SA ...... fecked by yours truly, but ......... still fitted with the worlds most uncomfortable bike seat. ouch!

#7 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 18 June 2007 - 05:02 pm

Stormy name and shame the feckers who shafted you !

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#8 stormy

stormy

RIP stormy

• Members
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 05:09 pm

QUOTE(wicklamulla @ Mon 18th Jun 2007, 05:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Stormy name and shame the feckers who shafted you !

mmm....

ok.

That would have been Byrne-up Motorcycle Tours.

I heard a rumour t'other day, and I don't know how much truth there is that rumour, possibly just a malicious rival maybe, but the rumour was that the Byrne-Up folks have gone, or are about to go bust.

Mike

currently owned ....
1997 YAMAHA TDM850 which are obviously an acquired taste. I fink I'm starting to get it now.....
2008 SUZUKI Bandit 1250SA ...... fecked by yours truly, but ......... still fitted with the worlds most uncomfortable bike seat. ouch!

#9 Matlock

Matlock

Carpe Citizen

• 3,913 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 18 June 2007 - 08:26 pm

Curses ranting.gif , one of the reasons I went with Carole Nash was the inclusive European breakdown cover. Anyone able to recommend any alternatives?

BTW - from the CN website: "Carole Nash Insurance Consultants was acquired by Groupama UK, one of the UK’s leading insurers. Management at Carole Nash Insurance Consultants reassured bikers that it is business as usual."

QUOTE(stormy @ Sun 17th Jun 2007, 06:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So, be warned about CN, I wouldn't shag "her" with yours!.

- I wouldn't shag her full stop. Although, I'm sure she's a lovely lady ....... rolleyes.gif

2002 TDM900 in glorious yellowNOW SOLD  :( 

2012 Honda Crosstourer VFR1200X. Hyperspeed tourer.

1990 XTZ750 in black, standard apart from Micron silencer. Mechanical restoration complete, cosmetic restoration next on the agenda.. NOW SOLD  :( 

Follow me on twitter

#10 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

• 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.

Posted 19 June 2007 - 12:34 am

ffs what are people meant to do if they have an accident, lie on the side of the road chatting to Carole's Gashe on their mobile while recording the conversation at the same time JUST IN CASE ?????????

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

#11 unclesumo

unclesumo

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 140 posts
  • TDM model: 1998

Posted 19 June 2007 - 06:23 am

A mate of mine wrote his VFR off in France. I'm not sure of the details but he said he just rang CN & they sorted everything out. That was a couple of years ago though when customer service still existed.

#12 Drew48

Drew48

has been here 4ever

• 1,150 posts
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 19 June 2007 - 01:32 pm

QUOTE(unclesumo @ Tue 19th Jun 2007, 07:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
A mate of mine wrote his VFR off in France. I'm not sure of the details but he said he just rang CN & they sorted everything out. That was a couple of years ago though when customer service still existed.

their service is shit nowadays- moved to another company after 5 years with them- same crap needed breakdown assistance & no answer on the given phone number and their prices are ludicrous now £300 for the two bikes on TPFT (9 years no claims and 39 years old in a rural area) moved to e-bike £135 for the two OK so no breakdown cover but then effectively didn't have any with CN

CB125 SUPERDREAM, DR125, MZ125ETZ, CD200BENLY, CB250SUPERDREAM x 2, VT250F, XT350,SRX400,CX500EC,XT600,GPX600C1,TDM850MK2,GS850,TDM850MK1,XJ900F,SV1000S, SV1000N, TDM850MK1 (nr2), TDM850 MK1 (nr3),TDM850 MK1 (quatre)

#13 ripper

ripper

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 193 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 19 June 2007 - 07:38 pm

e bike do have breakdown cover as an option, but only covers 6 breakdowns in one year £122 fully comp for TDM850 & Yam Tr1
Rob

#14 Drew48

Drew48

has been here 4ever

• 1,150 posts
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 19 June 2007 - 07:46 pm

QUOTE(ripper @ Tue 19th Jun 2007, 08:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
e bike do have breakdown cover as an option, but only covers 6 breakdowns in one year £122 fully comp for TDM850 & Yam Tr1

bugger did not notice that option huh.gif

CB125 SUPERDREAM, DR125, MZ125ETZ, CD200BENLY, CB250SUPERDREAM x 2, VT250F, XT350,SRX400,CX500EC,XT600,GPX600C1,TDM850MK2,GS850,TDM850MK1,XJ900F,SV1000S, SV1000N, TDM850MK1 (nr2), TDM850 MK1 (nr3),TDM850 MK1 (quatre)

#15 stormy

stormy

RIP stormy

• Members
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 07:46 pm

QUOTE(ripper @ Tue 19th Jun 2007, 08:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Saw your bike list, a TR1 ?

Are we talking about the big 1000 V Twin, XV1000 derived thing? 2 SR500 motors joined at the crankshaft?
Air ride suspension? Fully enclosed chaincase and all other manner of good things, TR1?

sorry, had one of those beasties myself, never saw another, never even knew another one existed!

Edited by stormy, 19 June 2007 - 07:47 pm.

currently owned ....

#16 jht

jht

has been here 4ever

• 1,769 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 19 June 2007 - 09:03 pm

TR1, always fancied one to tinker with (TR1200 anyone cool.gif)
watched couple on fleabay recently tho funds stopped play unsure.gif

Carol G,been with for 3yrs, had good service from when knocked off 2 year ago, always seemed helpful on dog'n'bone & even got car insurance with 'em
Can't be arsed usually with the annual phoneathon to see if quotes cheaper as they only ever been +/- £50 max, so gone with devil I know

mind you I pay £600 for the two, so maybe I ought start shopping again...... blink.gif

Edited by jht, 19 June 2007 - 09:04 pm.

Done: Homo sap navigation/ twisty thing on bars to make it go vroom/ grabby thing to make it stop (in front of twisty thing)/ 'leccy things front and rear to make it glow at night/ Sucky + drippy oiler thing to keep chains moist (!!) / Laser Pro Stock Race pipes / bleeding ear drums (see previous mod)
To do: Educate homo sap nav system to operate twisty + grabby things/ get ear plugs

All Trashed Now... Pants... its a Cat B Mwahahaha it lives again!!

Remember every driver is a deaf myoptic twat who is out to kill you, ALWAYS assume they are going to do THE most f*cking DUMBASS, STUPID manouver possible, at the worst possible moment; get past, and get past quick

#17 dandywarhol

dandywarhol

Carpe Citizen

• 5,324 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 19 June 2007 - 10:59 pm

Well, I phoned around a bit and only Norwich Union came close so I stuck with Gash after negotiating a half price instalments package. They assured me the Euro cover was full and that the conversations are recorded (which in fact they are when I had to check back on one of last years feck ups) £334 for 2 bikes comp.

1967 Yamaha TD1C 250, 2014 Kawasaki W800, 2011 Aprilia Tuono 1000 V4, 2020 Yamaha XSR900

"At the cutting edge of technophobia" Scotland_180-animated-flag-gifs.gif mccoy.gif

#18 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,121 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 19 June 2007 - 11:08 pm

Told me they "couldn't find" the calls, that were made during last years feck up. But luckily R'kid made a note of name/times/dates, but never the less, they "couldn't find" them. I'm sure if it was for THEIR benefit they would try looking a bit harder.
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#19 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

• 12,211 posts

Posted 20 June 2007 - 01:24 am

QUOTE(dandywarhol @ Tue 19th Jun 2007, 11:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well, I phoned around a bit and only Norwich Union came close so I stuck with Gash after negotiating a half price instalments package. They assured me the Euro cover was full and that the conversations are recorded (which in fact they are when I had to check back on one of last years feck ups) £334 for 2 bikes comp. huh.gif is Edinburgh renowned fer bike crime Alan as that sounds alot fer a man of your years...... ???

#20 stormy

stormy

RIP stormy

• Members
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 20 June 2007 - 06:16 pm

QUOTE(dandywarhol @ Tue 19th Jun 2007, 11:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well, I phoned around a bit and only Norwich Union came close so I stuck with Gash after negotiating a half price instalments package. They assured me the Euro cover was full and that the conversations are recorded (which in fact they are when I had to check back on one of last years feck ups) £334 for 2 bikes comp.

Are ye a youngster then for that price!!!????? unsure.gif

I pay £224 for a fully comp policy that cover 3 bikes, one of which is the Thunderace. Then I pay in installments.

sorted.

Oh, it was via Motorcycle Direct who came up with a NU policy.

currently owned ....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users