11 replies to this topic

#1 Oldbikergit

Oldbikergit

discovering Carpe

• 10 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 12 January 2020 - 11:44 am

Hi I'm a newbie.

Last month I bought 2004 TDM 900. The following day I noticed the neutral light does not come on so I contacted the seller who said it worked ok (being cynical he would say that wouldn't he). Anyway, I've used the bike no problem done a few hundred miles so far. It runs fine. I have other bikes so not always using the TDM. I've checked  everything Bulb continuity the switch I've even fitted another good used switch. Now while I've been doing this for some reason the bike won't start. And green light still does not come on. Can anyone help with suggestions as to what else could be wrong.

#2 Bigbill55

Bigbill55

arrived on last train

• 6 posts
  • TDM model: 1994

Posted 12 January 2020 - 02:40 pm

Sounds like a fault around the switch, not sensing it's in neutral. Original fault could have just been with the light, and it was still sensing neutral, but if it isn't sensing neutral it's like trying to start it in gear. Will it start with the clutch in?

#3 Oldbikergit

Oldbikergit

discovering Carpe

• 10 posts

Posted 12 January 2020 - 03:55 pm

Yes Bill. Ive tried with the clutch in. Ive looked at the wiring and it goes into a diode which youll probably know only allows current in one direction only. Could this be the fault. I wouldnt say Im an expert with modern bikes with all these sensors on. Im an old git and Ive had plenty of old bikes.

#4 Bigbill55

Bigbill55

arrived on last train

• 6 posts
  • TDM model: 1994

Posted 12 January 2020 - 06:43 pm

If the starting problem has only happened since you changed the switch and checked the wiring I would double check everywhere you have been before looking at other possibilities, including all plugs and connections. I take it the engine isn't turning over when you state it won't start. If it isn't turning over, I would suspect the starter cut out relay isn't operating, and I would check all circuits connected to the relay, including clutch switch, side stand switch, and neutral switch. I don't think the neutral light is operated directly by the neutral switch, I think it is operated from the ecu. If the bike was starting ok in neutral the neutral switch was probably ok, as I think the light is on another circuit from the ecu. 

#5 Oldbikergit

Oldbikergit

discovering Carpe

• 10 posts

Posted 12 January 2020 - 10:46 pm

No it wouldnt start before I put a replacement switch in. And yes the engine turns over when trying to start it. Im gonna check all the switches that involve the starting procedure. Also the previous owner fitted spotlights and fancy handlebar indicators so Ill check all this this coming week. Thanks for the info. Ray.

#6 TKH

TKH

full o shoite

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,199 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 13 January 2020 - 01:12 pm

Hello and Welcome!!

Have you checked to see if your old switch was at fault? Which switch are you talking about? Also assume you've give all the area a good clean? I tend to get more problems with muck and oil ( I like to use a lot of oil on my chain) than with part failures, but it does happen. Mine has a similar symptom at the moment i.e. no neutral light showing. I think I've also got a side stand switch issue it turns over so I've been doing other jobs.

#7 Oldbikergit

Oldbikergit

discovering Carpe

• 10 posts

Posted 13 January 2020 - 06:47 pm

Yes TKH. I've tested the old neutral light switch and it's Ok, so I didn't need to buy the used one which is now on the bike. I also like to keep things clean too.

I'll just have to crack on testing the other stuff. I'm ok for wheels as I've got two more bikes. Thanks for your input.

Ray.

#8 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 5,080 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 13 January 2020 - 07:41 pm

Get into Diag mode on dash see if any faults show up.

2002 900 silver,oil pressure switch with brass 90 degree conversion, RG fork protectors. Wilburs custom made rear Shock with remote hydraulic preload and RG shocktube, Wilburs front springs. Scotoiler with a custom made swing arm delivery unit. Silicone radiator hoses.BMW 1150 handguards with Touratech extensions, Carbon Fibre yoke cover and fender extenda, MRA flip screen, Yamaha Engine bars, SW Motech Centre Stand, Kappa wingrack three box Luggage with E21's as option from the K960 boxes, Zumo 660 satnav on Touratech mount, Led Voltage monitor, Baglux tank cover, Clear LED Rear light, Aux LED brake light, BikeVis bullet LED's under front  nose,Stainless rear axle nut, stainless chain adjusters, stainless wheel spacers front and rear, Probolt Polished Stainless Flanged Hex engine screws, Polished stainless fairing screws, stainless disc bolts. Titanium brake pins front, Probolt Titanium Flanged Hex Front Caliper Bolts & Rear caliper slide pins Adventure Spec Tool tube under rear rack, left and right sides with custom alloy mounts.<p>Top Sellerie double gel pad seat. Carbon Fibre inner dash and side infill panels. Anodised black alloy swingarm pivot bolt covers and footpegs, Nano II Gear indicator.

#9 Oldbikergit

Oldbikergit

discovering Carpe

• 10 posts

Posted 18 January 2020 - 01:35 pm

Hi Leehenty.

Excuse my ignorance. But what do you mean by 'Get into Diag mode on dash'.

#10 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 18 January 2020 - 04:23 pm

Here ya go https://www.tdm-yama...ex.php?page=MDG

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#11 Oldbikergit

Oldbikergit

discovering Carpe

• 10 posts

Posted 20 January 2020 - 09:08 pm

Well you learn something every day. I'll study this and see where it takes me.

Thanks a bunch. Ray.

#12 Oldbikergit

Oldbikergit

discovering Carpe

• 10 posts

Posted 14 March 2020 - 08:25 pm

Hi Again.

Not been on for a few weeks as bike has been at the garage.

The problem has been fixed. It was a control relay that was faulty.

Cheers everyone.

Ray.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users