Photo
- - - - -

No Turn Or Hazard Lights ... Please Help!

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 AlejoMTB

AlejoMTB

arrived on last train

• 2 posts
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 18 August 2017 - 12:49 am

Greetings everyone

After hours and hours of thinking with the electrical diagram of my TDM'00  in front of my eyes .... and hours and hours with the electrical tester ... I need your help!!!!

I decided to change the main loom of my TDM because the previous owner made a total disaster with it .... cuts and cuts and cuts with electrical tape everywhere in every part. Not only the main loom was affected, main switches (left and right) had cuts and connections between them, but I have to said that everything worked.

I think He did it because He crashed, the cables went cut off in some parts and the guy who tried to fix it was a total disaster.

Although everything worked (main lights, turn lights, brake lights), I hate see all the repairs and home made connections, and because I'm thinking in make a long trip (around 7000km), I prefered to have a nice and clean electrical system.

So ... What I did?

My TDM'00 is from latin america but I bought the main loom, hand controls (left and right) and the main light wires from a guy in greece who got all from a perfect working TDM'01.

I did a complete evaluation of everything with him (cables, connectors, switches) and whole was identical.

The parts arrived, I replaced all and the bike started at the first tried .... but I had no turn lights or hazard lights.... and still no have!!!!

When I press the turn button (to the left or right) in the left control, nothing happen. Dashboard do not show the turn indicator and the lights do not turn on.

When I press the hazard button, nothing happen. Dashboard do not show the hazard indicator and the lights do not turn on.

I checked the Flasher relay and the Hazard relay and both were well ... but I noticed than when I turn the key to the ON position, the Flasher relay always activated immediately ... I hear the click in it.

Now ... I have a perfect and nice electrical loom in my TDM, It runs perfectly but I NO HAVE TURN OR HAZARD LIGHTS!!.

Plase .... help me ... I've passed hours trying everything i know .. and more.

Thanks in advance

#2 divvxj

divvxj

has been here 4ever

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,296 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 18 August 2017 - 06:58 pm

drink tea , eat cake , and then look at the diagram again and it will all make sense :good: , I am sure that someone will be along in  a minute and help you out :good:

#3 Apache

Apache

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 19 August 2017 - 10:30 am

As divvxj said. It's not a complicated circuit. Power at FL unit ? Cable from FL unit to switch meters ok ? Switch onwards....

#4 Bjørge

Bjørge

has been here 4ever

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 1,791 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 21 August 2017 - 06:57 am

You have a multimeter ?

Bjørge

#5 AlejoMTB

AlejoMTB

arrived on last train

• 2 posts
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 23 August 2017 - 10:49 pm

Greetings everyone

After divvxj advice, I bought a piece of cake, made a cup of coffee and sat with the diagram ..... I did not advance so much more but after a while I searched the forum to something like that and found something very helpfull.

http://www.carpe-tdm...+hazard +lights

This guy describe something very close to my problem. Both handlebars controls have rubber sleeves that get wet inside when rains or wash the bike, so I remove the sleeve of the left control to expose the cable loom and found 3 joints or ties that came original with the bike. This joints get rust with time and exposure because they only came with electric tape to cover them, the best way would have been with thermic material, but what a hell.

One of the 3 was broken just in the joint and that was the reason for my turn and hazard light fault, I re-connected the cable and fixed the other two in a proper way.

I have to say that the click sound of the relay when I turn on the main switch is because it is a default close circuit and opens when it receives the signal, so It was normal.

Now I have a perfect and smooth electric system in my TDM

Bye everyone 

#6 Bjørge

Bjørge

has been here 4ever

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 1,791 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 24 August 2017 - 08:51 am

Congrats ! Nice invesigation ! Tools, multimeter and Internet empowers you to fix any problem !  :badgerrock:

Bjørge

#7 JBX

JBX

full o shoite

• RTT manager(RTT)
  • 2,206 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 24 August 2017 - 04:02 pm

Great !

I should also check my indicators as they work intermittently... ;)

top_640.png

#8 divvxj

divvxj

has been here 4ever

• 1,296 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 31 August 2017 - 06:40 pm

Greetings everyone

After divvxj advice, I bought a piece of cake, made a cup of coffee and sat with the diagram ..... I did not advance so much more but after a while I searched the forum to something like that and found something very helpfull.

http://www.carpe-tdm...+hazard +lights

This guy describe something very close to my problem. Both handlebars controls have rubber sleeves that get wet inside when rains or wash the bike, so I remove the sleeve of the left control to expose the cable loom and found 3 joints or ties that came original with the bike. This joints get rust with time and exposure because they only came with electric tape to cover them, the best way would have been with thermic material, but what a hell.

One of the 3 was broken just in the joint and that was the reason for my turn and hazard light fault, I re-connected the cable and fixed the other two in a proper way.

I have to say that the click sound of the relay when I turn on the main switch is because it is a default close circuit and opens when it receives the signal, so It was normal.

Now I have a perfect and smooth electric system in my TDM

Bye everyone 

tea and cake , works every time , perfect combo :drinks:

#9 TKH

TKH

full o shoite

• 2,199 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 01 September 2017 - 01:45 pm

tea and cake , works every time , perfect combo  :drinks:

+1