• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 IrkinBollikans

IrkinBollikans

discovering Carpe

• 12 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 12 May 2022 - 04:12 pm

Hello all, wondering what you guys are using for a rear rack. I mostly see options for 4tx but not so much for 3vd. Is there much difference in the mounting setup?

#2 Favs

Favs

Sir Cumference

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,395 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 12 May 2022 - 04:34 pm

Hi n yes. Mk1 owners will be along soon.

Single-handedly reviving the Wave.

2008 reg. Black TDM 900 ABS

#3 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,114 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 12 May 2022 - 04:39 pm

Hello dare and welcome. I am pretty sure that I switched the Givi rack from my MK2 to MK1 so don't think there is any difference or so little that it can be modifried.

This was a lonnng time ago so others will likely have more recent experience.

If you get a givi rack its worth making sure that the bracing bracket that goes under the seat/tail area is included as often racks are disassembled and that component is left behind.

I think hepko and Becker also make/made a rack.

Edit:. Dabbers has/had one for sale here http://www.carpe-tdm...l=&fromsearch=1
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#4 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,747 posts

Posted 12 May 2022 - 05:40 pm

Mines sold now dabs, but to answer the question, yes mk2 will fit mk1, it may need a little modification to the footrest hangers depending on wether a previous owners has changed either the hangers between mk1/2 or replaced the swing arm as both models fit and one of the mk1 swingers i believe was a tad longer.

Finding a mk1 set up will be pretty difficult, i may have in the shed outside a Givi  top case carrier with a monokey plate possibly. Like this.

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#5 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 12 May 2022 - 06:42 pm

Mines sold now dabs, but to answer the question, yes mk2 will fit mk1, it may need a little modification to the footrest hangers depending on wether a previous owners has changed either the hangers between mk1/2 or replaced the swing arm as both models fit and one of the mk1 swingers i believe was a tad longer.

Finding a mk1 set up will be pretty difficult, i may have in the shed outside a Givi  top case carrier with a monokey plate possibly. Like this.

are 3VD and 4TX footrest hangers different then?  

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#6 dablik

dablik

• 10,747 posts

Posted 13 May 2022 - 08:41 am

are 3VD and 4TX footrest hangers different then?  

Minimally Ken, or the difference could be in the swingarm, the mk2 set i had were cleaner so i put em on.. but hanging the Remus twin exhaust was a more better fit with the mk2 hangers than the mk1 hence my opinion..

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#7 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

• 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.

Posted 13 May 2022 - 09:56 am

Minimally Ken, or the difference could be in the swingarm, the mk2 set i had were cleaner so i put em on.. but hanging the Remus twin exhaust was a more better fit with the mk2 hangers than the mk1 hence my opinion..

i doubt the swingarm length will make any difference to the footrest hangers though?

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

#8 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,213 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 13 May 2022 - 02:18 pm

Footrest hangers are different Ken, slight difference in length but cant remember which is longer.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#9 dablik

dablik

• 10,747 posts

Posted 13 May 2022 - 05:42 pm

i doubt the swingarm length will make any difference to the footrest hangers though?

Well i'm assuming the hanger bolt holes would be in a slightly different position with a longer swingarm ?? they did make a difference i found though, just slight..

Ian did you line up your mk2 pannier rails to the hangers okay ! and i presume with mk1 hangers ?

#10 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

• 12,211 posts

Posted 15 May 2022 - 09:55 am

Well i'm assuming the hanger bolt holes would be in a slightly different position with a longer swingarm ?? they did make a difference i found though, just slight..

Ian did you line up your mk2 pannier rails to the hangers okay ! and i presume with mk1 hangers ?

gonna root around in the garage and have a look at 4TX versus 3VD to satisfy my curiosity.

#11 dablik

dablik

• 10,747 posts

Posted 15 May 2022 - 06:29 pm

gonna root around in the garage and have a look at 4TX versus 3VD to satisfy my curiosity.

Na just looking wont do it, gotta fit em on the bike and then fit a twin exhaust for a proper scientific evaluation  ;)

#12 ChrisG

ChrisG

Resident vulture

• 8,276 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 16 May 2022 - 08:45 am

I had a Givi Wingrack on my Mk1 but had to modify the fitting kit with a few bits from the universal fitting kit as my Motad Nexus and later Laser Prostock pipes sat higher than standard.  TonyD solve this same problem by glueing soldering mat to the bottom of his panniers :D

You can/could get a Rentec rack for the Mk1, which fits on instead of the rear grab handle.  Put one on my wife's Diversion and then bolted a Givi plate to the rack.

My 900 has a bracket that fits around the grab rail and then mounts a givi plate, but I've seen someone who drilled holes in the grab rail and mounted the plate directly to it which seemed to work.

1992 Mk1, 76k miles, Hagon springs, MTC exhaust, 4½ gears Gone now :(
2009 900 abs, 42k miles, Yamaha heated grips, double bubble screen, R&G crash bungs, scottoiler, Autocom, 1500 lumen LED spotlights.

post-1-1152402501.jpgpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#13 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,213 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 19 May 2022 - 08:15 am

Nope, had to get some tangs welded on and drill holes in them.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#14 dablik

dablik

• 10,747 posts

Posted 19 May 2022 - 08:17 am

So there we have it....mk2 pannier rails fit but need modding to the hangers  :good:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users