72 replies to this topic

#21 Pict

Pict

Keep on keepin' on

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,257 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 07 December 2012 - 08:36 pm

Studders your a star. Could you pm me your address please.

Danny: Sorry to cut in, but have you checked PM's regarding this week's shipment?

Dinotrike.jpg "It's a TDM, Jim, but not as we know it"

www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAHmEWim3to

Diamond black TDM 900A TRIKE, 2006 ABS model converted by Trike Design (Caerphilly, South Wales) prior to first registration in March 2007.

#22 Dannyboy

Dannyboy

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 08 December 2012 - 05:19 am

Got the slaggin' carbs :)

First thing I've noticed is that both the throttle cable and choke cable brackets are reeeeealy bent. It looks like the carbs have either been dropped, or something heavy has hit brackets. Here's a piccy

[attachment=2732:Dannys1.jpg]

Any idea if they were like this or not before you posted them Danny ? :unsure2:

The bent brackets would certainly give one possible reason why the throttles seemed to be stuck open if they were like this.

Studders I'm 100% they were not like that when I sent them. I've looked at a picture I took on my phone the day before I sent them and they look fine. I did double check to make sure the throttle opened with no issues and they were fine. Looks like postal service was not very kind.

Edited by Dannyboy, 08 December 2012 - 05:20 am.

Mk1' R1 gold spot front calipers • HH sintered front pads • FJR1300 front master cylinder • K&N air filter • Factory Pro emulsion tubes • Oxford heated grips • Mirror extenders • KTM handguards • Baglux tank cover and bag. 12v auxiliary socket • Delkevic 2 into 1 exhaust system • Engine guards • Chrome radiator guard • Renthal bars • Touring screen. Optimate and Oil pressure switch/light mod (Leehenty special!) to be fitted. Tom Tom rider V2 europe. GoPro HD Hero. Fenda extender.
Triumph Tiger 955i with stuff added.

#23 Dannyboy

Dannyboy

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 05:27 am

Just priced up a small (10mm o/d) carb O ring at Suttons ! Fhaaaaaaa kiiiiiiin' 'elllll ! :rolleyes:

Ninepoundsandfiftyfivepence +P&P please, ta !

Soooooo, I've just reviewed the product on their site. :lol:

Anyhoos, I've got most of the parts stripped out and been chicken 'em over. Up to now it's looking like you need some new o rings and gaskets.

Needles & Jets fine.
Float valve needles fine.
Diaphragms, feel a bit floppy/thin but no holes.
Main jet o rings worn.
Main jet holder gasket flat/worn.
Slider o rings flat/worn.
Float valve housing o rings worn.
float bowl gaskets worn.
Choke plungers.............
Air cut off diaphragms............

Hey ho. :)

Apart from that I take it the carbs are fine then. Studders just let me know if you've got the time or inclination to have a go at a fix and I will send you any funds you need for parts or return. I really appreciate your help but don't want to push my luck. I apologise for the slowness of my response but I'm on nights and Christmas spirits are making life very busy.

Mk1' R1 gold spot front calipers • HH sintered front pads • FJR1300 front master cylinder • K&N air filter • Factory Pro emulsion tubes • Oxford heated grips • Mirror extenders • KTM handguards • Baglux tank cover and bag. 12v auxiliary socket • Delkevic 2 into 1 exhaust system • Engine guards • Chrome radiator guard • Renthal bars • Touring screen. Optimate and Oil pressure switch/light mod (Leehenty special!) to be fitted. Tom Tom rider V2 europe. GoPro HD Hero. Fenda extender.

#24 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,214 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 11:09 am

I've got the brackets sorted. I can replace the o rings etc for you, be cheaper buying 2 kits than buying the oem parts. 2 kits would be about £30-£32 if that's ok.
Will check the choke plungers and air cut off valves today. :good:

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#25 Dannyboy

Dannyboy

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 11:43 am

Studders, I'm back on nights tonight but should (fingers crossed) be finished for 5am. I reckon if choke plungers and air cut off valves are reasonable it would be well worth changing them. If your happy at doing this then pm me your preferred payment methed ( Paypoop ect) and i'll slip you the funds.

#26 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,214 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 11:46 am

I'll keep you posted chief. Can sort funds out later. :good:

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#27 MattG

MattG

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 108 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 08 December 2012 - 12:52 pm

What very nice people you all are!!

#28 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 08 December 2012 - 12:58 pm

good eggs aint they.

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#29 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,214 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 04:47 pm

Plungers and air cut off valves are good. :)

#30 Dannyboy

Dannyboy

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 04:54 pm

Can any one think of anything else sensible that I can look at or change on the bike while the carbs are out. I've been round with my tin of ACF50 and given all the lectrickery blocks a good squirt. Should I change the throttle position sensor whilst I'm at it?

#31 Dannyboy

Dannyboy

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 05:08 pm

Fairly comprehensively worn then. Those screws on float bowl and carb tops look pretty ropey.
They will be M4, M5 or M6 probably, send me a pm of how many, size and length are needed, I'll send a set of stainless cap screws up to you, to help the sporting' lad out, it being nearly Chrimbo an' all.
Looks like he's having enough trouble as it is.

Only just see this entry. You sir are a star!

#32 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,214 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 08:45 pm

Can any one think of anything else sensible that I can look at or change on the bike while the carbs are out. I've been round with my tin of ACF50 and given all the lectrickery blocks a good squirt. Should I change the throttle position sensor whilst I'm at it?

Just ordered the kits. I'll be setting the fool levels when I reassemble 'em. You could check the condition of the carb to inlet gaskets for any cracking. Best to remove the clamps when checking as the cracks can run behind the clamps.
You might struggle setting the TPS Danny :) There 'aint one !

Screw/bolt size is M5x15mm but the have a spring washer and a flat washer fixed to them which are about 3mm wide. Sooooo, about 12mm of thread measured from edge of washers. 4 required. :) Have you got any suitable washers too Lee ?

#33 Matt101

Matt101

full o shoite

• 2,391 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 09 December 2012 - 09:16 pm

Send him 2 sets Mr H. He's got my carbs as well :good:

#34 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• 5,088 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 02:39 am

so we are looking at erm 4 top securing the cover over the slidey bit, 4 bottom holding float bowl on times two carbs, so that's 16 ? with washers and springs. You'll have to make do with all stainless.
Allen head ok ? Hope I've got this right.
2002 900 silver,oil pressure switch with brass 90 degree conversion, RG fork protectors. Wilburs custom made rear Shock with remote hydraulic preload and RG shocktube, Wilburs front springs. Scotoiler with a custom made swing arm delivery unit. Silicone radiator hoses.BMW 1150 handguards with Touratech extensions, Carbon Fibre yoke cover and fender extenda, MRA flip screen, Yamaha Engine bars, SW Motech Centre Stand, Kappa wingrack three box Luggage with E21's as option from the K960 boxes, Zumo 660 satnav on Touratech mount, Led Voltage monitor, Baglux tank cover, Clear LED Rear light, Aux LED brake light, BikeVis bullet LED's under front  nose,Stainless rear axle nut, stainless chain adjusters, stainless wheel spacers front and rear, Probolt Polished Stainless Flanged Hex engine screws, Polished stainless fairing screws, stainless disc bolts. Titanium brake pins front, Probolt Titanium Flanged Hex Front Caliper Bolts & Rear caliper slide pins Adventure Spec Tool tube under rear rack, left and right sides with custom alloy mounts.<p>Top Sellerie double gel pad seat. Carbon Fibre inner dash and side infill panels. Anodised black alloy swingarm pivot bolt covers and footpegs, Nano II Gear indicator.

#35 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,214 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 05:54 am

Danny's already got the float bowl screws in stainless allen heads Lee. :)

Float bowl screws don't have washers fitted.

Sooooo, 16 bolts and 8 washers total pleeeeease.

#36 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• 5,088 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 04:11 pm

ok I'm on the case, ina post asap.

EDIT:
Postman pat has them as of 16:50 hrs

Edited by leehenty, 10 December 2012 - 04:48 pm.

2002 900 silver,oil pressure switch with brass 90 degree conversion, RG fork protectors. Wilburs custom made rear Shock with remote hydraulic preload and RG shocktube, Wilburs front springs. Scotoiler with a custom made swing arm delivery unit. Silicone radiator hoses.BMW 1150 handguards with Touratech extensions, Carbon Fibre yoke cover and fender extenda, MRA flip screen, Yamaha Engine bars, SW Motech Centre Stand, Kappa wingrack three box Luggage with E21's as option from the K960 boxes, Zumo 660 satnav on Touratech mount, Led Voltage monitor, Baglux tank cover, Clear LED Rear light, Aux LED brake light, BikeVis bullet LED's under front  nose,Stainless rear axle nut, stainless chain adjusters, stainless wheel spacers front and rear, Probolt Polished Stainless Flanged Hex engine screws, Polished stainless fairing screws, stainless disc bolts. Titanium brake pins front, Probolt Titanium Flanged Hex Front Caliper Bolts & Rear caliper slide pins Adventure Spec Tool tube under rear rack, left and right sides with custom alloy mounts.<p>Top Sellerie double gel pad seat. Carbon Fibre inner dash and side infill panels. Anodised black alloy swingarm pivot bolt covers and footpegs, Nano II Gear indicator.

#37 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,214 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 06:02 pm

:good:

#38 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,214 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 07:01 pm

Carbs now back together with new gaskets, o'rings and blingy cap bolts fitted :)

Just need to check & set the fuel levels, hopefully tomato.

When removing the needles and springs, I noticed the needle washer on one was in the wrong position. It was placed between the spring and the needle and dropped out after I removed the spring. I wonder if it could have caused the needle to stick/jam ? :unsure2:

I'm leaving the pilot screws and balance screw untouched.

#39 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• 5,088 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 01:12 pm

:good: The screws must have arrived then. Hopefully this will sort it and get it back on the road.

#40 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,214 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 05:27 pm

Yes, screws arrived yesterday, thanks Lee. :good:

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Carbs, Burn, Death

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users