14 replies to this topic

#1 Oafski

Oafski

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 141 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 24 August 2016 - 10:19 am

Never in my wildest dreams, when I fitted a pair of Aftermarket Rear Shock Absorbers to my Moto Guzzi750 Breva, a couple of week ago ,did I think that I would be entering a world of anger and frustration but that is how things have turned out. I have just renewed my Insurance and declared this heinous modification while crossing everything that could be crossed that it wouldn't result in a massive increase in the premium. After an entertaining period on hold I was informed that the Company I was with would NOT INSURE me with this modification. I obtained cover with a more enlightened company but asked the Broker whether I should refit the Old Units or simply refrain from using the Bike until my New Policy started as obviously the machine was no longer covered in it's current state. The Broker said that to avoid that inconvenience they would alter the New Policy to take immediate effect and would cancel the existing policy without incurring any extra charges, which considering the amount they pocket for renewing would hardly have been justified anyway.
The point I am trying to make is that if I had to change the rear shock(s) because they/it had become defective so couldn't have been refitted and I was only a couple of months into my policy, I could have been faced with a hefty cancellation fee or a unit I couldn't fit until my policy expired.
I contacted the Manufacturer of the Units and asked for their comments while promising I wouldn't name them and they said it was the first they had heard of this situation.
Perhaps it's time for the Insurance Companies to publish a list of what constitutes "Acceptable" modifications and their "Effect" on premiums and for the Aftermarket Companies to "Have a word" and point out that superior quality products are beneficial to safety not detrimental to it. Rant over.

"No good deed goes unpunished"

"Lags Droopfinger" The Biking Viking

OCD- Old Coffin Dodger

#2 ProudViking

ProudViking

needs a 2nd hobby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 780 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 24 August 2016 - 11:03 am

I had this, I went with Direct Line "Street-Fighter" insurance, Basically you can put what you like on the bike as long as you declare it. You pay a higher premium but then the bike is insured for more. You just need receipts and four pics. They valued my bike fairly too as a soon to be Three year old 9er with several £000s of upgrades has been insured for £8500

#3 muddy

muddy

full o shoite

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,973 posts

Posted 24 August 2016 - 11:15 am

I just don't understand this trend of having to declare every little alteration to a bike. The only way I can view it is that it creates more potential loopholes for insurance companies to use to avoid pay outs.

Blue 04 TDM,PR2 rear Roadsmart front, Yamaha topox, Givi E360 panniers, PL pannier holders, BMW handguards, Yamaha touring screen, Scottoiler, 12v ciggie socket, carbon core HT leads

Gorn :sorry:

#4 Rallyist

Rallyist

Gettin to be an 'Old Bugger'

• 3,251 posts
  • Location:Usually in a Hospital somewhere in the Birmingham area
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 24 August 2016 - 11:22 am

This is in my opinion the thin end of the wedge to full "Type Approval" that will be suffered in the future, but as you say it gives the insurance more ways of avoiding a payout.

For a challenging summer try the

Round Britain Rally.....  

1993 TDM 850 Mk1 ..... 2008 TDM 900 ....  1975, 1979, 1982, 1992 Goldwings, Scott, AJS,  Triumph 5TA

#5 TYREDNGRUMPEE

TYREDNGRUMPEE

has been here 4ever

• 1,627 posts
  • TDM model: 1998

Posted 24 August 2016 - 11:30 am

I just don't understand this trend of having to declare every little alteration to a bike. The only way I can view it is that it creates more potential loopholes for insurance companies to use to avoid pay outs.

This. +1

I just insure the motorcycle for the minimum now and treat the policy as a "PERMIT TO RIDE", much as you would buy a rod licence and use it as a permit to fish.

I have TPFT cover, only because it costs the same as TP only and take precautions such as

• garaging
  • chains and locks
  • riding safely, or if not, then skillfully
  • watching out for muppets
  • only riding a bike that costs £1200-1500
  • etc. etc.

btw

There are a few secondhand loud silencers, a beaten up Givi rack and tank bag harness fitted.

Do you think I bothered registering them? DIF!

Or the fact that I had to un-transplant my SpyBall immobilizer when its internal battery regurgitated all over the electronics inside?

People need to wise up and stop taking it up the backside.

Like muddy says, it is a "trend", perpetrated by a soft, oncoming generation of bikers and a greedy grabbing insurance industry.

Edited by TYREDNGRUMPEE, 24 August 2016 - 11:43 am.

#6 Oafski

Oafski

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 141 posts

Posted 24 August 2016 - 12:20 pm

I do agree with You and Muddy and view Insurance Companies with contempt but unfortunately they do have the upper hand with the "failure to disclose" clause which they can use to render you uninsured in the event of a claim. As a Bus Driver in London I was involved in several minor accidents, none blameworthy, but I had to declare them and believe me they had an adverse effect on my premium and the cost of "protecting" my NCB. Greedy Scumbags is being charitable.

"No good deed goes unpunished"

"Lags Droopfinger" The Biking Viking

OCD- Old Coffin Dodger

#7 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,213 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 24 August 2016 - 12:48 pm

On the national news the udder day, insurance companies ripping off customers by charging more if they've been involved in an accident that wasn't their fault. ie some dimwit drove into their parked car. :rolleyes:   Same as all this stuff about insuring your insurance excess. WTF !

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#8 muddy

muddy

full o shoite

• 2,973 posts

Posted 24 August 2016 - 02:10 pm

This. +1
I just insure the motorcycle for the minimum now and treat the policy as a "PERMIT TO RIDE", much as you would buy a rod licence

Yes, it's about staying legal primarily. My last claim revealed to me that everything else is a battle of wits and perseverance, unless a lawyer somewhere sniffs a fat cheque at the end of it.

[*]only riding a bike that costs £1200-1500

Now that there is hitting at the heart of a dilemma I'm having. As I have a few quid to spend, I'm trying out some of the new bikes that interest me and it's really tempting to go and fork out 6 or 7 grand for one (at the moment I'm really taken by the Triumph Tiger 800), but it will stress me no end keeping the 'gibzmedats' at bay.

One of the benefits of riding a tatty, borderline rat bike that is my 9er these days, is that it's like a wilting, wall flower that doesn't get much attention. I insure it third party only and if it got nicked or dropped it doesn't ruin my week. If it goes I'd miss it only out of sentimental reasons. I've had it for 11 years now and with the help of you lot I keep it mechanically sound, but it won't be featured on the carpe-tdm.net calender any time soon😊 Next bike a Cat C or D maybe 😏

Edited by muddy, 24 August 2016 - 02:12 pm.

Blue 04 TDM,PR2 rear Roadsmart front, Yamaha topox, Givi E360 panniers, PL pannier holders, BMW handguards, Yamaha touring screen, Scottoiler, 12v ciggie socket, carbon core HT leads

#9 Robodene

Robodene

Robodene

• 1,512 posts

Posted 24 August 2016 - 04:59 pm

There seems to be no consistency in the insurance industry and we need that. You just never can be sure where you stand. Treat them with the contempt they deserve, I say. I should however say that whenever I have listed my few 'minor mods' at renewal time, they hardly even think about them. It does seem to be trouble when you 'meddle' with a policy during its currency. I am considering fitting a 170 tyre (it is Yam approved) instead of 180 to my MT-07 next time. Where will that lead to insurance-wise?! And did I mention saving £70 when I realised my wife's AA recovery (insurance business) premiums were at 'con' level? Sorry,rant again.

Edited by Robodene, 24 August 2016 - 05:03 pm.

1940s Ariel 350 (ex-military) Khaki > Black & White '56' Kymco Venox 250 Metallic Grey '56' TDM 900/A (ABS) Silver[b] '56' Yamaha MT-03 White <p>[b] '14' Yamaha MT-07 Matt Grey[b] '17' Honda Rebel 500 

#10 TYREDNGRUMPEE

TYREDNGRUMPEE

has been here 4ever

• 1,627 posts
  • TDM model: 1998

Posted 24 August 2016 - 07:13 pm

As I have a few quid to spend, I'm trying out some of the new bikes that interest me and it's re

There are shitloads out there, that do as well if not better than the shiny wans in the showrooms.

Only sillies buy bran new.

Used is best, but daft to buy from a dealer.

Get something you like, but save at the same time for the extra feelgood factor that buying from a dealer doesn't provide.

Dealers only serve two purposes. Separate you from your cash and fob you off / massage your ego when you return to the dealership.

#11 celticbiker

celticbiker

has been here 4ever

• 1,726 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 24 August 2016 - 07:33 pm

As I've said before.
When it comes to insurance, I insure a bog standard bike.
Ultimately this is how I bought it and not being a mechanic I wouldn't know the difference between standard or aftermarket parts.
As for the engine, how would I know if it's been tuned or not and I have no idea what a power commander is.
I just put petrol in it and ride.

(\__/) This is bunny. Copy and paste

(x'.'x) bunny onto your page to help

(")-(") him gain world domination!

#12 muddy

muddy

full o shoite

• 2,973 posts

Posted 24 August 2016 - 08:17 pm

There are shitloads out there, that do as well if not better than the shiny wans in the showrooms.
Only sillies buy bran new.
Used is best, but daft to buy from a dealer.
Get something you like, but save at the same time for the extra feelgood factor that buying from a dealer doesn't provide.

Dealers only serve two purposes. Separate you from your cash and fob you off / massage your ego when you return to the dealership.

I would never buy new,I just have to pretend I might to dealers to blag a test ride. Still, Triumphs don't come cheap, at least not the one I like.

As I've said before.
When it comes to insurance, I insure a bog standard bike.
Ultimately this is how I bought it and not being a mechanic I wouldn't know the difference between standard or aftermarket parts.
As for the engine, how would I know if it's been tuned or not and I have no idea what a power commander is.
I just put petrol in it and ride.

I think the saying is, ignorance of the law is no excuse😏

#13 celticbiker

celticbiker

has been here 4ever

• 1,726 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 24 August 2016 - 09:13 pm

That's true for sure, but this isn't ignorance of the law.
The fact is that a mechanic could not successfully defend a man on trial for murder, by the same strength a lawyer couldn't tell if a car was standard or not.
If the car is the same now as when you bought it then how could you know if it's been modified or not if you are not in the know about such things.
In this case I am not a mechanic, I have receipts to show that the bike has been serviced by a local dealer. They have never mentioned the bike is modified (example only, I don't know if it is) and neither has the garage that does the Mot.
How couldn't I be blamed if it later turns out to be non standard?
If they wish to enforce such a rule then a standardisation check will need to be carried out by the insurer before the policy is offered so they will know if anything is not within their scope of standard.

(\__/) This is bunny. Copy and paste

(x'.'x) bunny onto your page to help

(")-(") him gain world domination!

#14 muddy

muddy

full o shoite

• 2,973 posts

Posted 14 January 2017 - 02:43 pm

I'm researching getting another bike that will probably get farkled along the way and the thought occurred to me that was the reason behind declaring aftermarket parts, etc. Perhaps the thinking is, 'how can we hit the great unwashed for more shekels? Ah ha, boost the revenue through admin charges by making them declare their inevitable aftermarket purchases. And if they don't declare, we won't pay out. Win, win!'

How does that sound? It always irks me how much various agencies charge for what amounts to probably little more than 5 minutes on the computer. Mid term changes is probably a nice little earner for them.

#15 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,671 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 14 January 2017 - 03:37 pm

Yeah you're right. Bennets charge me 32 quid for policy mods.

The need to declare aftermarket parts is sometimes to do with how much more likely it is going to make the bike get stolen.

If scroats can get £700 just for your flashy exhaust cans, or a small pile of cash for Ohlins forks then they'll nab the bike. How much is your engine and ECU worth secondhand ?

Your best bet is to declare the mods you intend to make when you take out the policy. Should the bike get written off they will only pay out for the accessories fitted at the the time of the accident anyway so because they can't lose out they're unlikely to worry.

On the other hand,  some smart arse might accuse you of trying to artificially inflate the value prior to a theft claim.

I had mods declared previously on a bike which had since been removed at the time of the accident and the insurance paid on the basis of the standard parts being fitted.

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users