#1 muddy

muddy

full o shoite

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,973 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 16 December 2016 - 07:44 pm

This video from a YouTube channel I'm subscribed shows a chap fitting one of these gizmos for curing low speed fuelling nastiness. He seemed well pleased with the result, so I looked the company up to see if they made one for the TDM and they do.

So now I'm tempted. If I can find an easy (no I don't want to feck about with airbox hacking and buggering around with other iffy solutions), once and for all fix for the on/off stutter at low revs, I might stop getting tempted to buy another bike.
https://youtu.be/UdkSSmpyanA

Blue 04 TDM,PR2 rear Roadsmart front, Yamaha topox, Givi E360 panniers, PL pannier holders, BMW handguards, Yamaha touring screen, Scottoiler, 12v ciggie socket, carbon core HT leads

Gorn :sorry:

#2 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,671 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 16 December 2016 - 08:56 pm

I soldered a small value resistor (think it was 300 Ohms) in series with the temperature sensor.

The Boosterplug website section about how it works explains why simply adding a resistor is less than ideal. Well all i can say is that for the temperature range of operation in which I usually use my bike it doesn't work too badly at all !

http://www.boosterpl...hop/cms-21.html

The jerkiness of the TDM has several causes and if they all conspire in the same direction at the same time it can be a bit uncomfortable, but there is , I believe, sections of software code in the ECU which cannot be changed and which will always induce some throttle lag and little bit of hunting at lower revs.

My bike rides very differently to when I got it. As well as the resistor I have opened the airbox and advanced the timing by 4 degrees, which really make the bike a lot more pokey and fun....total cost has been less than £10.

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#3 muddy

muddy

full o shoite

• 2,973 posts

Posted 16 December 2016 - 09:27 pm

Since I've been a member of this forum, fuelling glitches have been an ongoing saga,the Dutch episode being the latest. I thought I'd learnt to live with it, but I'm now commuting to my new job on a very busy M25 and it's become dangerous to be honest. So I need a quick solution and a plug and play device will save all that trial error. I did read about the resistor fix but I'm a bit scared of mucking something up. Electrickery is a bit out of my skill range. $150 for is a bit steep for a punt though.

Blue 04 TDM,PR2 rear Roadsmart front, Yamaha topox, Givi E360 panniers, PL pannier holders, BMW handguards, Yamaha touring screen, Scottoiler, 12v ciggie socket, carbon core HT leads

#4 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,671 posts

Posted 16 December 2016 - 09:55 pm

It is steep....If you can get one of the cheaper 'resistor only' versions it would give you an idea of if that is the correct engine sensor to tackle, or not.

I think for 200 -250 Euros you can get a full ECU remap and a lot of the fueling and timing parameters will be changed away from the exceptionally frugal setup they're currently tuned to.

I think the timing control is quite rough (based on how much better the bike rides with advanced timing) and in the back of my mind on a list of things to do is a programmable electronic timing adjuster idea which could make it a very easy mod

#5 muddy

muddy

full o shoite

• 2,973 posts

Posted 16 December 2016 - 10:17 pm

@fixitsan
What do you make of this?
https://sites.google...bit-ecus/yamaha

#6 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,671 posts

Posted 16 December 2016 - 10:24 pm

I went down that path, I bought a secondhand ECU and already had the programming interface, so by using that guy's software i was able to read my ECU maps and tables and even sent them to him for checking (to make sure my hardware worked correctly). The last bit of the puzzle after modifying the maps is to load them back into the ECU, and for that he wants  a couple of hundred dollars for a licence which unlocks the uploading side of his software....it's his playground so he can call the shots. One of the ROMs he has listed on that page came from my bike too !

I believe he has been involved with the Greek company Samios Motorsport who will do a full remap for 250 Euro. I keep meaning to try it, but it's a lot of cash....having said that it's cheaper than some power commanders, and unlike power commanders he modifies the timing curves as well as the fueling maps

Edited by fixitsan, 16 December 2016 - 10:25 pm.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users