TDMick

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,830 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 07 January 2017 - 12:19 am

:welcome:

Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional
Who dies with the most toys wins!

2010 'stealth' grey 900. '14 plate. engine bars, Centre stand, datatool alarm, datatag, E22s, Cree DRLs, Barkbuster handguards, Carpe sticker. Led running lights

#1643 flea

flea

enuff posts to fill a 50cc

• 58 posts
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 03 February 2017 - 11:00 pm

hi thanks for the add , just bought my first tdm 850 ,its the 1999 model ,and guess what my first job is to replace the battery..ahh , they didn't tell me it was such a drama to change , 2nd job from my reading will be to change the emulsifier tubes in the carbs , exhaust smells of petrol and he said doesnt need choke even in winter to start (tubes??) the oil level hasn't gone down in 5000 kls ,so for a bike that suppose to use a bit of oil maybe ?? .. ahh , new bikes are always a learning curve...that's 1/2 the fun of them , also own a rephrased (750) xs650 to which when I intro the bikes to ea other told the xs650 this is your younger nerdier brother :) anyway let the journey / adventure begin ... opps.. also I'm located in far nth qld aust and again this for letting me join

#1644 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 03 February 2017 - 11:18 pm

You made it flea. :-)

Welcome to carpe.
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#1645 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 04 February 2017 - 09:50 am

:welcome: flea

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#1646 Got1now

Got1now

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 04 February 2017 - 10:07 am

Welcome to the happy family!
Emulsion tubes are a 'fun' job!!!!
I bought a 99 bike, which it turns out is actually a 97. Same story, didn't need choke to start, so I changed the toobs, and cleaned the carbs out, runs nice now........ Thanks to a fettling session by Sir Studley of Nottinghamshire ☺
Have fun and enjoy!

#1647 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 04 February 2017 - 06:08 pm

Welcome Flea enjoy your bike  :good:

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#1648 flea

flea

• 58 posts

Posted 05 February 2017 - 12:44 am

Welcome to the happy family!
Emulsion tubes are a 'fun' job!!!!
I bought a 99 bike, which it turns out is actually a 97. Same story, didn't need choke to start, so I changed the toobs, and cleaned the carbs out, runs nice now........ Thanks to a fettling session by Sir Studley of Nottinghamshire ☺
Have fun and enjoy!

o,no ..not another fun job :shocked:  , before I start reading up , what makes changing the tubes difficult , and is there any other fun jobs with the 850 , already had 1 quick learning curve ,the po had done the fork seals and broke the tags on the elec speedo for which he had the new part but hadn't fitted , so fitted that yesterday ,guess what the manual he supplied with the bike was for up 2 the 1999 model but only showed the cable speedo type . finally fitted it but havnt tested / ridden it yet , in another hour or so going out to the shed and battle the battery swap ,heres hoping I got the right sized battery as the shop said havnt got that battery but this one will do (before knew battery size was critical for fitment )....ahhh ! new bikes , enough to drive a bloke to :drinks:..edit.. just read up on the tubes , now see what you mean.. mine is the 1999 aust model , does this mean the tubes cant be changed ( pressed in ) how do I tell the difference without pulling any thing down

Edited by flea, 05 February 2017 - 02:09 am.

#1649 TDMick

TDMick

TDMick

• 3,830 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 05 February 2017 - 09:55 am

Do you have a fuel gauge or temperature gauge? A 97 bike, (a MK2) will have a temperature gauge the Mk2A (2000 onward?) has a fuel gauge.

Your Manual will cover all MK1 s and 2s.

JBX's site will also have any info you need.

Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional
Who dies with the most toys wins!

2010 'stealth' grey 900. '14 plate. engine bars, Centre stand, datatool alarm, datatag, E22s, Cree DRLs, Barkbuster handguards, Carpe sticker. Led running lights

#1650 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 05 February 2017 - 11:38 am

Mk2a is '99-'01 Mick. ;)

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#1651 flea

flea

• 58 posts

Posted 05 February 2017 - 10:33 pm

Do you have a fuel gauge or temperature gauge? A 97 bike, (a MK2) will have a temperature gauge the Mk2A (2000 onward?) has a fuel gauge.

Your Manual will cover all MK1 s and 2s.

JBX's site will also have any info you need.

been trying to access jbx site ,brings up home page but clicking on subtitles only gives me a blank page .. do you have to sign in to get access to contents ?

#1652 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 06 February 2017 - 09:41 am

Yes, but it's free to register. :)

#1653 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,735 posts

Posted 06 February 2017 - 11:06 am

Had the same issue yesterday, was only linking to a blank page, JB not paid his mint jelly dues !!

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#1654 Rallyist

Rallyist

Gettin to be an 'Old Bugger'

• 3,250 posts
  • Location:Usually in a Hospital somewhere in the Birmingham area

Posted 06 February 2017 - 09:11 pm

No problem here http://www.jbx9.16mb.com/

For a challenging summer try the

Round Britain Rally.....  

1993 TDM 850 Mk1 ..... 2008 TDM 900 ....  1975, 1979, 1982, 1992 Goldwings, Scott, AJS,  Triumph 5TA

#1655 flea

flea

• 58 posts

Posted 06 February 2017 - 11:17 pm

all good ,signed in and after the normal veting gained access , a lot of good info there

#1656 GrandPaul

GrandPaul

really likes Carpe

• 97 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 10:41 pm

My intro (short version)

I was born and raised in south Texas, lived here in Laredo all my life except 4 years in the NAVY.

Married, 5 kids, 8 grandkids, EVERYONE in this family rides, the older boys also help around the shop.

I've owned 161 bikes in over 45 years, still have 28. I have mostly classic Britbikes, some classic Japanese & Italian, and a couple of new-ish early 2000s (Triumph Legend triple & Kawasaki ZRX1200R).

I've done a bit of vintage roadracing on a scratch-built Triumph Bonneville 650, basically bone stock, in AHRMA Novice Historic Production Heavyweight. Took 5th in the championship as a rookie, racing only half the season against MUCH nicer equipment including hot-rodded (allowed in the class) OHC 750 fours and the odd 750 triple, with experienced riders aboard. Still had the time of my life. Also got to race a half season on a borrowed Kawasaki H1R 500 triple in Formula 500, took 3rd in the championship against deep-pocketed experienced riders. The topper was riding "monkey" on a Formula 1 sidecar at Willow Springs in 2010; that rig took 1st in the championship, helped by our 2 class wins that weekend.

I've been a Navy aviation ground support electrician, owned an HVAC business and a personal computer business, I've been in Mechanical & Electrical Engineering, energy auditing, and commercial construction, and managed a networking, surveillance and access systems company. Now I have my own classic & vintage motorcycle restoration & overhaul business (going on 12 years).

Now, I'm getting a '92 TDM that is in excellent shape and ran in the Colorado 500 (so I've been told by the previous owner whom I've known for 15 years). I was doing a "resurrection" for the former owner, then he made me an offer I couldn't refuse. I've already cleaned the carbs and fuel tank, now he's brought over a new battery & fuel tank pickup assembly (the original filter screens were completely perished).

Anyway, I'll be considering a tuned header exhaust system and perhaps airbox & jetting mods, as this forum's experienced team will help me decide. I know better than to just dive in and start butchering stuff.

What a pain to get at the carbs & battery - have to remove all the bodywork! No worries, you do what you've gotta do.

Thanx for allowing me in, I hope I become a positive addition to the forum.

Edited by GrandPaul, 16 March 2017 - 10:42 pm.

GrandPaul

Author "Old Bikes"

Does not use emoticons

#1657 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 17 March 2017 - 07:19 am

Hello Paul and welcome.

Very interesting intro. Have any of the many been a Vincent or Hodaka?
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#1658 chrisbee

chrisbee

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 17 March 2017 - 07:21 am

Welcome aboard Grandpaul,

wow, that is some intro..

#1659 Bjørge

Bjørge

has been here 4ever

• 1,791 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 17 March 2017 - 09:30 am

Welcome, Paul !  :drinks:

Bjørge

#1660 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 10:31 am

:welcome: to the club Paul.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users