20 replies to this topic

#1 sando

sando

sticking around

• 30 posts
  • TDM model: none yet

Posted 03 December 2018 - 11:16 am

im looking to buy a tdm
but with my budget it will be a well riden one apart from the usual knocks and bangs
do the tdm suffer with anything in particular
regards

#2 jiff

jiff

Knight of Postsalot

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 03 December 2018 - 11:51 am

.......850 ‘s reputedly drink oil if ridden hard

I obviously am too restrained......so that figures!

Jiff

#3 AliG

AliG

has been here 4ever

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,446 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 03 December 2018 - 12:23 pm

im looking to buy a tdm
but with my budget it will be a well riden one apart from the usual knocks and bangs
do the tdm suffer with anything in particular
regards

Apart from the the usual things related to any older bike, the bottom suspension bushes tend to get forgotten about. Worse case scenario if they are not greased is that the bracket can ctack and your frame is US. What sort of budget do you have? These appear on here regularly and you will benefit from knowledge of the bike concerned by members..

2004 900 - Blue with lots of goodies

2012 900 - Still adding shiny bits. Was black, changed to white and now back to black again.

#4 sando

sando

sticking around

• 30 posts
  • TDM model: none yet

Posted 03 December 2018 - 12:59 pm

my budget is a measly 1400

#5 drewpy

drewpy

has been here 4ever

• 1,758 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 03 December 2018 - 03:27 pm

I paid £900 for mine.35k on clock

"As I Lay Rubber down to street, I pray for traction I can keep. But if I skid and begin to slide, please dear god protect my ride"

Mods; Oil pressure switch, neoprene rear inner mudguard, scottoiler, highway pegs,  fenda extenda, 1999 carbs and airbox, Kais suspension setup, later clutch springs, LED lamps, Metmachex swingarm, Hagon Shock, Oxford heated grips, 4 way fused accessory Bus, 17" 3CV front wheel, Michellin R6 tyres, GPS speedo, 5' ignition advance.

#6 TKH

TKH

full o shoite

• 2,199 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 03 December 2018 - 04:03 pm

Muddy had one for sale for £695, a niner. Not aesthetically pleasing but just needing  bit of TLC :I'm led to believe. You can pm him. It has a lot of miles on but the niner will cope if looked after.

#7 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,754 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 03 December 2018 - 04:06 pm

Muddy had one for sale for £695, a niner. Not aesthetically pleasing but just needing  bit of TLC :I'm led to believe. You can pm him. It has a lot of miles on but the niner will cope if looked after.

Sold to Chris, keep up TKH :)

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#8 divvxj

divvxj

has been here 4ever

• 1,296 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 03 December 2018 - 04:12 pm

Worn ignition barrels

#9 TKH

TKH

full o shoite

• 2,199 posts

Posted 03 December 2018 - 04:37 pm

Sold to Chris, keep up TKH :)

Doh!! Glad he sold it ok.

#10 TKH

TKH

full o shoite

• 2,199 posts

Posted 03 December 2018 - 04:48 pm

Swinging arm isn't seized. 

Oil is fairly clean - not gungey, and doesn't have coolant in it

Seized brake callipers

No steering wobble

Fork seals are ok.

Ticks over nicely at 1200-1300 revs

No flat spots in power delivery

Chain hasn't been overtightened, should be 50-60mm play.

Chain is clean- ish and oiled. No excess play in chain or sprockets, No seized links

All the above can be fixed but will add to the cost of ownership. Could also be bargaining points for some of the easier to fix items.

#11 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,676 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 03 December 2018 - 05:10 pm

....I did get Muddy's, I suppose  I could turn it around quickly if someone is interested in it.  I was just going to vinyl wrap the side panels, change a few fasteners, grease all the greasy bits. Mechanically it is sound, bit of tweaking of the front brakes needed but that isn't a major issue, and when i rode it back from Carlisle to Edinburgh it went just as well as any other.

Now, the  other thought was that I would keep Muddy's (I like a project don't I :) )and sell mine....

TDM900

107000 miles

Recent oil and filter, and cam chain, also recently greased shock linkage, new fork seals and bushes, steering bearings stripped and repacked with grease, all other bearings are good, tyres good, new air filter about to be fitted, valve shims done 1000 miles ago

I would put it back to standard, standard ECU, exhausts, 18" front wheel, ignition timing (but leave the airbox mod in place)

Has a BMW F650 stator (recently inspected, looks fine)

Day running lights and extra spotlights

Monokey luggage rack.

Front and rear safety camera hardwired  ( DVR recorder under the seat -Can be switched off with a handlebar switch, ya know if you're servicing it and don't want to be filmed :) )

Heated grips

Nice loud horn

Aftermarket handlebars, for comfort, originals could be refitted (I'll chuck them in for free actually ...)

Doesn't look like it's been around the clock, previous owner was a riding instructor who kept it well maintained and cleaned. Not much paperwork history, but all of the long term ownership issues have been addressed

When it wasn't started for a month i needed to jump start it, but if it's started weekly and run for a short while the battery tops up fine (slightly weak battery)...just being honest. The MOT tester says it's the second highest mileage bike on his books, and one of the best maintained.

MOT due May 5th

£1095  ? (priced according to what the numbers on the clock say, and not how it presents itself or how well it runs. I would feel comfortable in riding it anywhere right now)

Located near Edinburgh (could meet you at a train station or Edinburgh Airport), and happy to look at meeting half way with compensation for return journey costs

If you're not interested in mine, the list of jobs above are what you should be looking for being done on a 900, swingarm bushes and shock linkage (relay arm) cleaned and greased, charging system checked (stator probs occur with some 900's), valve shims, and all the other good stuff  which has been mentioned previously already

Edited by fixitsan, 03 December 2018 - 05:40 pm.

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#12 Apache

Apache

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 03 December 2018 - 05:14 pm

Have a peek on ebay...three 850's in your price range. Forget the black one...repainted very badly. White mk1 was recently rebuilt by a member on here....can't vouch for the work done but he spent money on it....all 850's burn oil to varying degrees.

#13 chrisbee

chrisbee

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 392 posts
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 03 December 2018 - 07:03 pm

Have a peek on ebay...three 850's in your price range. Forget the black one...repainted very badly. White mk1 was recently rebuilt by a member on here....can't vouch for the work done but he spent money on it....all 850's burn oil to varying degrees.

My 850 4tx doesnt burn any oil
Thanks Studley, and a massive thanks to Mick

#14 AliG

AliG

has been here 4ever

• 1,446 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 04 December 2018 - 12:32 am

my budget is a measly 1400

That should get you a 2003/4 at this time of year.

2004 900 - Blue with lots of goodies

2012 900 - Still adding shiny bits. Was black, changed to white and now back to black again.

#15 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,676 posts

Posted 08 December 2018 - 02:01 pm

I've just been to Sports Car Breakers at Newbridge, Edinburgh. They have a nice looking metallic red 850 for £850, said to have a wiring fault

Edited by fixitsan, 08 December 2018 - 02:02 pm.

#16 JMC

JMC

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 257 posts
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 08 December 2018 - 02:35 pm

I've just been to Sports Car Breakers at Newbridge, Edinburgh. They have a nice looking metallic red 850 for £850, said to have a wiring fault

Wiring fault should be an easy fix just need lots of coffee, cake and patience :)

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!"
Hunter S. Thompson.

#17 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,676 posts

Posted 08 December 2018 - 03:10 pm

Wiring fault should be an easy fix just need lots of coffee, cake and patience :)

I know, i was tempted...... but I'm a bit full with bikes at the moment !

#18 dandywarhol

dandywarhol

Carpe Citizen

• 5,324 posts

Posted 08 December 2018 - 03:30 pm

Not on their website - did it have hideous Givi case mounts by chance?

1967 Yamaha TD1C 250, 2014 Kawasaki W800, 2011 Aprilia Tuono 1000 V4, 2020 Yamaha XSR900

"At the cutting edge of technophobia" Scotland_180-animated-flag-gifs.gif mccoy.gif

#19 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,676 posts

Posted 08 December 2018 - 03:39 pm

Not on their website - did it have hideous Givi case mounts by chance?

Nope, but this is the facebook link I saw  https://www.facebook...3&theater&ifg=1

It is pretty clean

Edited by fixitsan, 08 December 2018 - 03:40 pm.

#20 harvey krumpet

harvey krumpet

full o shoite

• 2,050 posts

Posted 09 December 2018 - 06:01 am

What happened to the side spaniels?

TDM 850 Loud and unusual. CRM 250r Woo hoo! DT 230 Lanza Fiddled with.... Bloody hell, is that legal? GG Randonee AKA "I didn't think that was possible".

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users