3 replies to this topic

#1 Norwegian

Norwegian

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 162 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 02 June 2020 - 09:44 pm

Went for a ride Pentecost Monday with my neighbour, he on his brand new GS 1250. Inland close to the Swedish border we've got some massive forest areas, slightly hilly, streams and lakes abundant, crisscrossed with gravel roads, paths and whatnot. Some known as smuggling routes from Sweden, others not really known at all.

We braced ourselves with coffee (me) and icecream (him) at the last outpost of civilisation an hour of mainroads from home, and there we got talking to a largish herd of Africa Twins, Varaderos and even more GS 1250s, the latter loudly admiring my mate's tank mounted Camel Pack. Two of them had moved on from Crosstourers and were not looking back, apparently.

Attached File  20200602_223623.jpg   187.79KB   2 downloads

We got good intel on our planned route, as a few of them had just come down the opposite way. In particular, a few steep slopes had been fortified with some very coarse gravel, so speed was advised. Very amicable, and very hot at 27 deg C.

On approaching our next milestone, a very nice log shelter by a river, we encountered the prewarned coarsely gravelled incline. Both of us on road tires, standing on the pegs and feeling the bike skip and dance beneath. Only there was a large bike parked square in the middle of the path, exactly half way to the top. So we had to dodge that while keeping the speed and the dance up, and it got interesting there for a moment. But no pain, no gain, we kept up the speed and got to the top. There we found the rider idling next to the path. Turned out he'd been going too slow, almost stopping and then dug his rear tire down to well below the axle. Another GS 1250, biggest knobs I've seen bar one (grin), still se ve re ly stuck. He'd been waiting for an hour for someone to pass by. We heaved him up in seconds, of course. He'd been heading for the shelter too, but decided to turn back. As it turned out, it was only another 400 m to go. :)

Attached File  Screenshot_20200602-223536_Gallery.jpg   457.05KB   1 downloads

Attached File  Screenshot_20200602-223504_Gallery.jpg   476.84KB   1 downloads

Fantastic place, fish jumping in the stream, fire pit ready - I'll definitely go back sometime.

The path onward was awesome. Fording a couple of very small streams, negotiating some more gravel, then it widened into a proper road. Still gravel, but fine, firm, very wide, straight with wide turns. Bone dry, very dusty, and as we picked up our pace to 90-ish km/h we trailed plumes that would have shamed a Falcon X. What a blast!

All too soon we were back on the asphalt for the transit stretch home. A few ice cold brews, a joint family barbecue and a soak in our pop-up garden pool put a nice cap on a very satisfying day.

Edited by Norwegian, 02 June 2020 - 09:54 pm.

2002 TDM 900 Red/Yellow Cocktail (it's yellow)., biggified some

#2 Favs

Favs

Sir Cumference

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,391 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 03 June 2020 - 07:29 am

Great stuff - I love it

:good:

Single-handedly reviving the Wave.

2008 reg. Black TDM 900 ABS

#3 Riggers

Riggers

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 03 June 2020 - 08:12 am

Nice report - thanks!

#4 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 03 June 2020 - 10:42 am

Nice to get out eh.  Thanks for sharing. :good:

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users