• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#21 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 05 September 2019 - 09:39 am

Whas yer conclusion Cliffers?

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#22 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 05 September 2019 - 12:27 pm

Not sure it's so problematic, they both measure exactly the same but i went with the shiny bit's top side as that's the general consensus on most pistons..

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#23 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 05 September 2019 - 04:16 pm

I remember digging about when I did my 850 rings, and found that the one with the slightly chamfered shiny edge is the top ring, chamfer upwards, in case there's a groove or land worn at the top of the cylinder bores the chamfer gives a little bit of clearance

Edited by fixitsan, 05 September 2019 - 04:17 pm.

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#24 dandywarhol

dandywarhol

Carpe Citizen

• 5,324 posts

Posted 05 September 2019 - 05:44 pm

Yest T-means TOP
In first rinng is too market T letter near a gap if you look closely. But on first rind it not so important which is top or bottom side up
But on second ring this is realy important if you mount it wrongly your bike will burn oil
And ofcourse gap positions must be oposite

Gaps should be at 120 deg apart and never on the thrust side of the cylinder. Thrust side on the TDM engine is towards the rear

1967 Yamaha TD1C 250, 2014 Kawasaki W800, 2011 Aprilia Tuono 1000 V4, 2020 Yamaha XSR900

"At the cutting edge of technophobia" Scotland_180-animated-flag-gifs.gif mccoy.gif

#25 dablik

dablik

• 10,735 posts

Posted 05 September 2019 - 06:11 pm

I remember digging about when I did my 850 rings, and found that the one with the slightly chamfered shiny edge is the top ring, chamfer upwards, in case there's a groove or land worn at the top of the cylinder bores the chamfer gives a little bit of clearance

It's pretty difficult to see a chamfered edge (old eye sight) however it's placed with the letter T to the top.

Gaps should be at 120 deg apart and never on the thrust side of the cylinder. Thrust side on the TDM engine is towards the rear

Spaced them as the Haynes but as they aint fitted yet i'll dig me protractor out furra measure :good:

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#26 dandywarhol

dandywarhol

Carpe Citizen

• 5,324 posts

Posted 05 September 2019 - 08:09 pm

It's pretty difficult to see a chamfered edge (old eye sight) however it's placed with the letter T to the top.

Spaced them as the Haynes but as they aint fitted yet i'll dig me protractor out furra measure :good:

Doesn't need to be a pedants 120 deg but you don't want the gaps on the thrust side  :good:

1967 Yamaha TD1C 250, 2014 Kawasaki W800, 2011 Aprilia Tuono 1000 V4, 2020 Yamaha XSR900

"At the cutting edge of technophobia" Scotland_180-animated-flag-gifs.gif mccoy.gif

#27 dablik

dablik

• 10,735 posts

Posted 05 September 2019 - 08:32 pm

Gotcha cheers :good:

#28 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts

Posted 06 September 2019 - 09:16 am

Having said what I said........I've just done some more homework and found one aftermarket piston company who recommends something different to what I said.  In your picture of the two rings, the one with the large T is the top ring, compression ring, , the one below is the wiper ring, and 'probably' should be fitted the other way round to how it's shown in the picture, IE with the shiny edge downwards.

Then again, that shiny edge (the chamfer) is seen regularly on replacement top rings (compression rings) which need to clear a ridge in the cylinder wall. But there's a conflict in technology here, because you aren't likely to see a ridge, or lip, in the 900 engine because it doesn't wear very much.

I think this is how I installed them on my 850, both the same way up....

[/url]rings by Chris Barron, on Flickr">http://48687543047_86457fd40c_b.jpgrings by Chris Barron, on Flickr

The all black ring with the large capital T is probably the middle ring. It might have a chamfer on the inside of the groove, hence why it's orientation is important, but also it's cylinder face side can be machined at a slight angle to aid with oil wiping

48687089253_f7e4e0e5dd_b.jpgrings2 by Chris Barron, on Flickr

Edited by fixitsan, 06 September 2019 - 09:46 am.

#29 dablik

dablik

• 10,735 posts

Posted 06 September 2019 - 11:20 am

Mine are installed opposite to the picture, as you say the all black ring is placed middle and the shiny edged ring to the top, both rings have a T marked on for Top orientation so i'm not to worried about seeing a chamfered edge, them's fitted for an 8fiddly also.

#30 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts

Posted 06 September 2019 - 11:43 am

Mine are installed opposite to the picture, as you say the all black ring is placed middle and the shiny edged ring to the top, both rings have a T marked on for Top orientation so i'm not to worried about seeing a chamfered edge, them's fitted for an 8fiddly also.

Sounds good

#31 drewpy

drewpy

has been here 4ever

• 1,753 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 05 June 2020 - 01:32 pm

glad i remembered seeing this and installed the correct rings right way up  :good:

no such orientation for the oil scraper rings is there?

"As I Lay Rubber down to street, I pray for traction I can keep. But if I skid and begin to slide, please dear god protect my ride"

Mods; Oil pressure switch, neoprene rear inner mudguard, scottoiler, highway pegs,  fenda extenda, 1999 carbs and airbox, Kais suspension setup, later clutch springs, LED lamps, Metmachex swingarm, Hagon Shock, Oxford heated grips, 4 way fused accessory Bus, 17" 3CV front wheel, Michellin R6 tyres, GPS speedo, 5' ignition advance.

#32 Snowbird

Snowbird

Just won't go.

• 1,349 posts
  • Location:Often on another planet, but mostly south Cambs. (St.Neots)
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 05 June 2020 - 02:05 pm

Also don't just assume new rings are the right size, always put them in the bore first using piston to square up and check the end gap, if too tight they can snap the ring when hot or cause a siezure.

Current toys: '99 XT600E, 2000 4TX, '82 Princess 30DS (where the username comes from), No longer a '03 Fazer thou.

Save the planet, it's the only one with beer!

#33 drewpy

drewpy

has been here 4ever

• 1,753 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 06 June 2020 - 09:15 am

Also don't just assume new rings are the right size, always put them in the bore first using piston to square up and check the end gap, if too tight they can snap the ring when hot or cause a siezure.

.35 gap so alls good 

"As I Lay Rubber down to street, I pray for traction I can keep. But if I skid and begin to slide, please dear god protect my ride"

Mods; Oil pressure switch, neoprene rear inner mudguard, scottoiler, highway pegs,  fenda extenda, 1999 carbs and airbox, Kais suspension setup, later clutch springs, LED lamps, Metmachex swingarm, Hagon Shock, Oxford heated grips, 4 way fused accessory Bus, 17" 3CV front wheel, Michellin R6 tyres, GPS speedo, 5' ignition advance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users